Weight and Resistance Training - May!!! 1-15, 2008

View Full Version : May!!! 1-15, 2008

Mel
05-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Count down to summer time :sunny:

Actually, it's freezing here. I was flying doing cardio this morning just to get warm.

No gym again today- I turned the page on my appointment book and was thrilled to discover a noon dentist appointment :p I may try to lift back and chest after work. I've never actually been to the gym at that time and don't like the idea, so it may be another home workout.

Lydia- read your description of "feeling it" on the last thread. I used to feel that way- and legs still do, but I don't push to failure or exhaustion anymore and I miss that feeling!

LG- How are you doing?

Anybody up for a May challenge of some sort? I know many of us are involved in other threads and it gets to be a bit much, but I really need to do a concerted effort to be summer ready :o

Mel

Meg
05-01-2008, 07:27 AM
:wave: I'm in for a May challenge!

Lifeguard
05-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Depending on the challenge I'd be up for it - I need something to help keep me focussed.

I felt amazing at the beginning of the week but yesterday I woke up with a crazy lower backache that I just can't seem to shake. Slept terrible last night. I think I am still going to go to yoga today though - hopefully it'll help - nothing else is.

Lydia227
05-01-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm in for a May Challenge. :yes:

Mel: Lifting to failure. That was exactly what I was trying to describe.

jamsk8r
05-01-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm in...what's the challenge?

WaterRat
05-01-2008, 04:08 PM
This might be a good thing for me. I intend to keep up the "no excuses" food challege in maintainers, but I need to focus on exercise too.

Meg
05-01-2008, 04:21 PM
I don't know if the "no excuses" challenge is going to go on for more than a week (it was totally spur of the moment) but if it does, what would you all think about combining challenges? It seems like there's a lot of overlap between the regulars here and the ones doing the Maintainers challenge. We don't want to become too "challenging" (yuck yuck :lol: )

Personally, I'm getting so much out of our "no excuses" week that I'd love to see it continue in some way or shape. I feel reinvigorated and like I'm back in the groove, which is the best feeling ever. :carrot:

Ideas? :)

carbsRmyEnemy
05-01-2008, 04:25 PM
I want a challenge! Count me in. What is it and when do we start?! :carrot:

sportmom
05-01-2008, 06:38 PM
I'm in.

LG - I remember those achey backaches from the uterus stretching. Later on as the baby put on weight and sloped forward, the cramping moved to my groin muscles - gah!

nelie
05-01-2008, 07:53 PM
I seriously need a challenge. I fell into a bagel this morning (free bagel does not mean I need to take one) after I promised myself to limit my bread intake. Rest of the day wasn't bad though.

Actually I just need a good kick in the butt...

rossi
05-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Hi,
I'm new. I want to also try the soy/whey drink diet that was in first magazine. I have tried many different diets but I thought this may be a good one. Has anyone tried this?

Lydia227
05-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi Rossi:wave: and :welcome:

I haven't seen the soy/whey drink diet you are referring to from First Magazine. I don't spend a lot of time reading magazines so I miss out on these things. I do add whey protein powder to a couple of my meals throughout the day and found that they really do help to keep me satisfied till the next meal. Usually I mix it into my oatmeal at breakfast and in a post workout smoothie. Good luck.

Meg and Mel: Combining the challenges would be wonderful. Really both go hand in hand for me anyway. If I'm working out I can almost be certain that it will also be a good food day too. It's those days when I can't get to the gym that I wig out. :dizzy:

Mel
05-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Welcome, rossi :) Never heard of the diet. I would recommend a real food lifestyle rather than a diet drink.

Meg, let's definitely combine challenges. We don't all want to just copy our posts from one forum to another!

I haven't seriously thought about how to organize or what to challenge with- but my personal challenge is the "Little Black Dress Challenge" :lol3: I have a very formal wedding to attend on June 27 and a drop dead gorgeous dress that was just given to me with the assurance of "of COURSE it will fit you!". Well...it goes on and zips. So there is hope. But it looks like it was spray painted on me :yikes: I figure I need to lose an inch everywhere except vertically to look decent. I'm not sure that's really possible for me, but I'm sure going to try. That means 100% clean eating except for the 4 days next week when I attend my daughter's graduation (Lydia :wave:- we picked Lindy's :drool: ) and making every single planned workout. 5 cardio days and 4-5 lifting days. Lawn mowing does NOT count as cardio, just a really fun way to spend some time outdoors :p So for me I need 7 weeks of PERFECTLY ON PLAN. Minus graduation :)

Just to make it fun, I'm going to challenge myself to learn at least one new exercise every week or at least incorporate one that I don't usually do and report back.

nelie- I thought we had a kick in the butt smilie but I can't find it. Will this do? :club:

What's your challenge?

Mel

nelie
05-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Oh Mel, that will do....

My current challenge is really get under 200, fit in some pants I fit in a couple months ago (argh). It will include NO bread, no peanut butter (oh do I have to?), and getting back into my exercise routine. Exercise has been rough because I got sick and I still have remnants (breathing is still rough) but I need to stop using that as an excuse and start up again. Of course I know there are free bagels again tomorrow so I have to be strong... Why am I addicted to bagels?

4rabbit
05-02-2008, 03:53 AM
Nelie,

Use the spider tactic!

You are a gazillion times bigger than a bagel...and even while it is not actually wearing glasses...you can win!

Rabbit

elisa822
05-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Happy Friday everyone!!

Hey - I found a great new diet...it's called the flu diet! ;) Really though, wow did I have a nasty bug that knocked me out for a few days. I'm just starting to feel back to normal. Needless to say the workouts have been zero but then again the food intake was zero for a couple of days. :o I could not put one thing into my mouth other than some juice. So the scale plummeted but is, of course, coming back up.

Anyhow, I promise to get back to a good exercise week next week and I'm always up for a challenge!

I hope everyone has some fun weekend plans and better weather than we're having here right now. :(

Nice to be back....:D

WaterRat
05-02-2008, 06:57 PM
:kickbutt: Here you go, Nelie. :)

jamsk8r
05-03-2008, 04:15 AM
I did 3 hours of lawn mowing today...I think that should count, Mel! ;)

I'll have to think about my challenge when I have more than 2 brain cells to rub together. Is this going to be here, or over at the Maintenance forum?

Mel
05-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Great leg workout this morning and I have 6 Perfectly on plan food days in the bag. Yay me ;)

Here's my new exercise which I think might be the MOST compound one I've ever done. Not for injured knees or shoulders, tho!

Back Squat-press to front squat clean and press

Start with a bar across you shoulders and do a normal squat (warning: I was doing this with an empty 45 pound bar and was tired after 10 reps). As you come up, press the bar up into a military press. Now bring the bar down to front squat position, and as you descend slowly (or before descent). lower the bar to where your arms arm hanging completely down in front of you. Do a complete, deep squat and touch the bar to the floor. As you come up, do a clean, pulling the bar up to front squat position then press at the top of the squat. Lower the bar behind your head onto your shoulders and that is one rep. Getting the whole sequence smooth and remembering where you should be in the sequence takes some practice. My workout partner stood behind me shouting out directions :dizzy:

Mel

jamsk8r
05-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Nice one, Mel...ouch! I won't be doing that today, since my knee is not right, but will save that one for later!

Lydia227
05-03-2008, 05:54 PM
My workout partner stood behind me shouting out directions :dizzy:Mel

Yeah, I bet she did! Wow. That would take some focus before the movement seemed to be automatic. Great sequence though. :cool: By the way, everything at Lindy's is caloric free. I checked. ;) Enjoy dinner. If you need to get into a gym so that your conscience is free after that meal let me know. :D

Boy, looks sure are deceiving and it is all a matter of perspective. I came home this morning after my workout while DH was preparing the kids for their cub scout camping trip today. (pouring down rain all day and t-storms tonight) Anyway, I chose not to shower and change at the gym so that I could be home in time to say goodbye to the boys before they left. DH doesn't see me very often after a workout without a shower. I was covered head to toe in wet clothes. Not a dry spot on my shirt and my hair was pulled back in a headband and soaked through. He looks and asks, "Good workout?" expecting for my answer to be a yes. But it was a humph kind of workout. I don't know that happened but after my cardio session, 55 minutes on the ATM I just didn't feel like lifting today. Now for some people 55 minutes of any kind of cardio would be a good workout. But it is a matter of perspective. I so wanted to enjoy lifting today. I had three days off so I really shouldn't have been too tired to dig right in, but I just didn't have it in me today. :dunno: Maybe the dreary rain has something to do with it. Or the list of crazy obligations coming up this week are weighing on my thoughts I don't know. What I really wanted to do was dig into a a carton of ice cream and then take a nap. I did half of that. Guess which half. :devil: Nope, don't keep ice cream in the house but I did collapse on DS2's bed and napped for 45 minutes. ~sigh~ Tomorrow is another day.

Hope you all are having a great weekend.

Mel
05-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Lydia, PM coming your way....

Meg
05-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Mel, will you come to Pittsburgh and shout directions at me? I don't think I could do this on my own! :D

Mel
05-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Meg, you are exactly two hours from Columbus. That's not too far to drive for a workout is it? I'll even buy you a cup of Starbucks ;)

Meg
05-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Ahem, that's two hours the way that YOU drive. A bit longer for those of us using Warp One. :lol:

But for Starbucks and a workout .... :chin:

Mel
05-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Seems to me that when we drove it together, YOU were driving and I was snoozing in a Nyquil induced haze. :p

I'll buy you two cups.

Mel

Lifeguard
05-04-2008, 03:37 AM
Ok - so we're picking our own challenges? Do I have that right?

Here's mine: To get a handle on an appropriate weight training workout for this trimester.

I went yesterday - had a great workout but feel terrible today, sore everywhere, bloated, ick. I think I pushed a little too hard. Problem I'm having is there is very little information out there for those who want to continue at all seriously with their workouts through pregnancy & my doctor is obviously a dunce on the subject. Everything seems to be geared to those who either didn't workout or rarely worked out. Sigh!

Lydia - I don't think I could ever do my cardio first! I'd have to do a complete costume change to continue I sweat so much!!! Good for you for taking a nap - sometimes they're the best things for you!

lalala123
05-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Challenges are good. :)

:wave: I joined a new, bigger gym, very close to my house, and I'm getting a couple personal trainer hours. :hyper: I'm really excited about that. There is so much I want to try out at this new place that just that should keep me busy for a couple months. :rofl: So my new challenge for now is to try out anything I think I may like and find out what I enjoy the most.

Today would be a wonderful day to go to the gym, but I went to a bodypump class on Thursday, and I'm STILL so sore that I can't walk properly because it hurts! :o I thought today (third day) would be better, but it's not. I'm hoping I'll be able to move like a normal person tomorrow, but my hopes are not too high. Ouch!
(Someone please tell me it will go away? :^:)

I may be :dizzy: but I want to go to another of these classes as soon as my muscles allow. I want to be able to get through them without shaking after I don't know how many squats and without walking out as if I was racewalking because my legs wouldn't move like they should. :rofl:

Mel
05-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Day 8 of perfectly on plan! I tried on my dress this morning and it's still too tight, but less so :D I will be wearing it this summer!

LG- That's a perfect goal...along with a healthy, safe pregnancy:)

Mel

Lifeguard
05-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Lalala - the muscle pain will get better as your body adjusts. One of the most valuable things I learned from one of my trainers is that movement helps. I had done his bootcamp class & was just dying - could barely move - so I called to say I was not coming to the next class to recover (it was a small class) & he told me to come & that if after the warm-up I was still sore I could leave. Well, you know, I finished that class & wasn't nearly as sore the next day.

Thanks Mel! I think I should be able to find a good balance that will help me maintain my current strength level & prepare my body for the demands of childbirth. I must admit I'm already itching for it to be done so I can get back at it good & hard in the gym!LOL

kaw
05-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Greetings everyone. Haven't been around much, but I'm still around, if you know what I mean.

Mel: Couldn't you build a high hurdle in there, just to complete the circuit? Because then it would be exactly like a weighted-bar-jumprope-squat-clean-press. Only different.

Be strong,
K

PS. What's this about a challenge? I'm less than three weeks away from the big 4-0 and not where I want to be BF-wise, so I could use a good kick in the butt!

Lydia227
05-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi Kaw:wave: I was thinking about you the other day. I'm glad to see your post. The challenge is a spinoff from a thread started in the Living Maintenance forum. Since we would rather pull our eyelashes out than confess to eating anything that deviates from our program it's been pretty effective. Mel has suggested doing a challenge within this forum as well and it looks like the two may be combined. Has a date been set to begin this anyone? Anyway, I still need to clarify my goal for this portion of the challenge.

So your 40th is in a few weeks. Congratulations. You must be a Gemini. Me too. ;) I'll reach this same milestone the first week of June. This year my b-day falls on a Saturday. DH better have something great planned. :club:

Mel
05-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Ah, Mel has been too frantically doing her own challenge and getting ready to go away for five days to come up with anything concrete :?:

I'd really like to see everyone come up with their own goals, then strive to meet them. I was working on a chart that we could paste into posts, but it just doesn't work.

Hi kaw! I was thinking about you last weekend also. We'll have to have a 3FC birthday party for you and Lydia!

Mel

WaterRat
05-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Ah, they're just young chicks! :lol: But an age ending in a zero is always something to celebrate....

AutumnHarvest
05-05-2008, 11:30 PM
I've been out of the gym for a week now. A nasty respiratory infection combined with severe hay fever had me wheezing and trying to cough up a lung. I thought about going anyway, but I have a real fear of being unable to breathe, since I had pretty severe asthma as a child. Now that I'm only dealing with hay fever, I'm really anxious to get back to the gym.

Unfortunately, I'll be back out of the gym for another week starting Friday. I'm going on vacation with my partner and won't have access to a gym. Since I won't have any weights, I'm planning on focusing on more core exercises. Squats, lunges, planks . . . Lots of romantic walks around the lake. Any other suggestions on how to keep up with my exercise would be appreciated.

I am absolutely up for a challenge.

elisa822
05-06-2008, 07:48 AM
So I'm still not feeilng up to par and I haven't been at the gym for over a week! Today I'm hoping for some yoga. That shouldn't be too strenuous and if it goes okay, maybe a power class tomorrow. I need to get a run in but I don't think I'm up to that just yet.

autumn - good luck with your vacation exercising! It's not something that I'm normally good at. ;) Lots of walking is all I can ever squeeze in.

Lydia/Kaw - oooh, big years for you this year! I celebrated that milestone last year :( and I'm still trying to adjust.

Mel - congrats on your "on-plan" streak. Keep it up. I wish I could do the same.

Have a great day everyone.

:D

Depalma
05-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Autumn, your vacation exercise plan looks great to me as is. Simple, easy, can be done anytime or anywhere. You'll be able to get it in without it detracting from enjoying your time away. Have fun! That's the most important thing!

Lydia227
05-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Ah, they're just young chicks! :lol: But an age ending in a zero is always something to celebrate....

Awww. Thanks Pat! :hug:

Lydia/Kaw - oooh, big years for you this year! I celebrated that milestone last year :( and I'm still trying to adjust.:D

great.:s: Your not exactly helping me boost my enthusiasim for this birthday :lol3: Actually, I've been bemoaning this one since my 35th birthday. How bad is that! Every year I punch in the number on my cardio machine thinking a year closer to 40 ~sigh~ but at least it's not this year. Really, I'm thinking about this almost every day. As it draws closer though I'm punching in 39 and thinking yeah, well, I'm still here and doing better than I was at 35 so there! :devil: The reality is that I would only want to be 25 again if I could be the person I am today with better knees. :D

Today was my first day back to the gym since last Saturday. If you recall my previous post it was pretty pathetic. Now I know why I hit the wall. I was getting a small cold. I woke up Sunday morning feeling a touch of it but it wasn't too bad. I rested most of the last two days, took tons of zinc and vitamin C. I'm feeling so much better today and was able to finish a fbwo after my 55 cardio session. :yay: My glutes are a little achey and all is right with the world. :goodvibes:

Elisa: I hope you can make it to your yoga class. It is such a drag to be down with a cold/flu or anything in addition to missing your daily dose of endorphines. Hang in there and get better.

AutumnHarvest: Enjoy your trip. Bodyweight exercises are a great way to kick your own bad self. Last summer I continued my workouts during our family vacations and it was one of the highlights of our vacation. I dragged DH out of bed each morning before sunrise and we ran on the beach and around the golf courses. Loved it! For my b-day DH had given me adjustable weights which I did take on the trip. I'm sure I was breaking all kinds of guest codes on the balcony of that condo but :dunno: no one was up early enough to witness or complain. :devil: Have a great time.

kaw
05-06-2008, 06:55 PM
My enthusiasm for 40 isn't terribly high, either. I think it's because I work in higher education, and in higher ed the students never get any older. Being around 20-year olds all the time just drives home the fact that I'm the same age as some of their *mothers*.

So, I make up for it by trying to be in way better shape than their mothers! :)

I still haven't come up with a challenge for my challenge, but I think it should be to (a) go to the gym every day this week, and (b) do cardio at least two of those days. This may not be much of a challenge by Mel's standards, but keep in mind that I'm *allergic* to cardio. :)

The chicken we're having for dinner is starting to smell tasty, so it's time for me to sign off. (Mmmm, dinner...)

Be strong,
Kim

kaw
05-07-2008, 06:13 AM
Hey, where is everybody this morning? Sleeping in? C'mon it's after 6! Time to be up and at 'em.

OK, I'll stop channeling my mother.

I had a reasonably successful leg day yesterday, and I'm feeling it this morning. I can't say I'm making a whole lot of progress on my lifts anymore, but I'm still happy adding a rep or two each session. When I start to get bored with this, I'll have to shake things up a bit and try some new exercises. Maybe not any of the exercises Mel dreams up, though; I'm too coordination-challenged!

Off for coffee. Be strong,
Kim

elisa822
05-07-2008, 07:30 AM
kaw - I'm here!! And I'm already at my desk! Where are all the lazy sleepy heads today? ;)

Made it to yoga yesterday and it felt great so I'm off to power class today. Hopefully things are getting back to normal.

The scale was suprisingly overly kind this morning. I'm not complaining but I'm confused. We'll see if it sticks.

Have a great day.

Lydia227
05-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Here. Getting kids ready for school and wolfing down breakfast.

Elisa: So glad you made it to the yoga class. :hug: It just makes all the difference in the world to be able to return to our favorite things doesn't it. Here's to another good scale reading. :crossed:

Mel
05-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Kaw- I rarely get sore any more or make "progress" on lifts. I'm not really interested in adding much more muscle, so to keep it interesting and useful, I just keep doing different, more challenging exercises.

I admit to muddling up that exercise I posted when I was doing it yesterday on my own, that I just gave up. I really need to practice it with just a body bar and work on the squat to clean and press part.

I'm leaving for Ohio in a few minutes and won't be back 'til Sunday night. Have a great week, everyone!

Lydia- what are we working tomorrow? :D

Mel

AutumnHarvest
05-07-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm here. I'm sore. I'm tired as heck.

In terms of my own exercise, I still let my trainer decide if we do something more or different. It's been about 2 months (give or take), but I still feel like a complete novice. I ask which muscles I'm working on every exercise we do, but aside from that, I'm happy enough to be instructed for now. I can really feel my muscles for the first time ever! I just have to poke through layers of fat first.

Elisa - Does the yoga improve your flexibility?

I almost blacked out at the gym yesterday while doing squats. I was really cranking them out right, but I just suddenly had to stop. When my trainer told me to just push through it, I told him, "Everything is going black." I spent the next five minutes lying on my back with my feet up on a swiss ball explaining why I hadn't thought it necessary to mention the respiratory infection that had laid me up the previous week. At least it gave me it a chance to ask him what exercises to do on my vacation.

Lifeguard
05-07-2008, 01:57 PM
For our almost 40's - I have a good friend who just turned 50 & she has decided she is going to do 50 things this year for herself. The first was a new car but I am quite certain all the rest will be smaller things. I think it sounds like a fabulous idea & can't wait to keep up to date on her list.

Autumn - eek! It can be scary to push to that point. Sounds like you have a sensible trainer though, who treated things appropriately. LOL - It kind of reminds me of the day I finished my row & my trainer said "Are ya gonna vomit?" & all I could do was nod 'cause if I opened my mouth.... We backed off a little after that!

Lydia227
05-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Autumn: I joke about passing out but never did. My goodness be careful out there.

LifeGuard: What a great idea your friend has for celebrating her birthday. Gives me something to think about as well. The problem is that it would be one more to do list and I don't think I have the time to even think one up much less execute it. :lol3:

Mel: LEGS! that may be sympathetic to my knees. Is there such a thing? Anyway, I'm game for anything. I did a full body workout yesterday and just a 30 minute cardio recovery today. So I'm good to go tomorrow. :cool:

midwife
05-07-2008, 03:50 PM
I love it! Ya'll are little energizer bunnies!

I've been sticking to my 3 workouts a week and I need to schedule some more cardio in there. The last month of school is just packed with activities and sometimes I feel a little overwhelmed with everything there is to do. So I may just skate on through May with my scheduled work outs and on plan foods and catch my breath in June.

Yea for summer!!!

Lydia & Mel, we need some pictures of your workouts!

Lifeguard, I love how your friend is celebrating her milestone.

Autumn, be careful out there. :hug: It is one thing to push yourself, another to kill yourself! Take some time to recover from that cold, 'kay?

Hi Elisa and Kaw and everyone else!!

On Friday I'm going to try some of those muffin recipes that call for protein powder. My daughter and her fellow track athletes are trying to increase their protein but they are not big fans of meat, so I thought I'd bake a few batches and see what they think. How else do you guys use protein powder?

Have a good one, ya'll!

elisa822
05-07-2008, 07:22 PM
autumn - yoga has helped me with everything! ;) Really though, the yoga I take (it's called power yoga) and I think it's a bit more strenuous than some yogas. It's a fabulous workout and it has immensely helped my flexibility, balance and strength. And somehow even with all that, it's relaxing and it's been a great addition to my workout. I can only squeeze it in once a week but I love it.

EofAZ
05-07-2008, 07:42 PM
All this talk about b'days reminds me of my girlfriend's 50th b'day. All she wanted was to have her husband give her 50 kisses throughout the day. I thought that was such a cool way to celebrate her b'day.

WaterRat
05-07-2008, 07:57 PM
My DH has scheduled a 2 week canoe trip in far northern Alaska which covers his birthday - does that excuse me from getting him a gift or otherwise celebrating? :)

kaw
05-08-2008, 06:03 AM
Good morning, everyone! I seem to be getting up earlier and earlier: 5:30, this morning. Not quite sure why, if it's stress or too much coffee or what. But, it's *annoying*! I don't mind mornings, but this is a bit ridiculous!

At any rate, I'm pleased to report that I have 3 days of my back-on-track challenges -- "no excuses" eating for maintainers and "5+2 at the gym" here -- under my belt. Yesterday I, gasp, did cardio at the gym, and I didn't even die from boredom! This morning I'll knock off another lifting day, and be right on track to complete the challenge over the weekend.

Pat: I think your gift to DH should be a gallon jug of mosquito repellent. Or, a paddle. (My family once went on a week-long canoe trip in northern Alaska only to arrive at the put-in point and have Mom and Dad look at each other and say, "I thought YOU packed the paddles." The good news is that they're still married.)

Be strong,
Kim

Lifeguard
05-08-2008, 10:23 AM
(My family once went on a week-long canoe trip in northern Alaska only to arrive at the put-in point and have Mom and Dad look at each other and say, "I thought YOU packed the paddles." The good news is that they're still married.)

Be strong,
Kim

Hahahahahaha!!!! That's fantastic!!!! Apparently my grandparents once forgot the sleeping bags but didn't realize until they were across the lake.

Hmmmm - I love canoeing!

WaterRat
05-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Kaw - :rofl: DH is going canoeing on the Noatak the last 2 weeks of August, so the majority of insect life shoudl be gone. This is a guided trip - 5 clients, 1 guide, and he had to be interviewed about his past experience before they'd accept him! Me, I might enjoy canoeing more if DH weren't in the stern getting exasperated that I don't understand exactly what he wants me to do. He's canoed most of his life, me less than a dozen times.

AutumnHarvest
05-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks for all your concern. I didn't blackout, but I would have in another couple of squats.

I've always wanted to try canoeing. Maybe I can try it this week.

I'm meeting with my trainer this evening, and he'll be giving me my exercise plan for vacation. I'll try not to blackout. :)

Lifeguard
05-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Me, I might enjoy canoeing more if DH weren't in the stern getting exasperated that I don't understand exactly what he wants me to do. He's canoed most of his life, me less than a dozen times.

The last canoe course I was on the instructor would not allow friends & mother/daughter groups to paddle together (it was an Guiding event so all women). She said she NEVER allows couples to paddle together as she wishes to preserve their marriages!! LOL

Autumn - you should try it if you have the opportunity. So relaxing. Such a nice way to enjoy the water & wilderness.

jamsk8r
05-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Hi all. Well, after a full week off, I think I'm back in business. Did my first split routine today: shoulders. Felt good to get back into the exercise routine, and hopefully my knee won't be complaining tomorrow, about the easy 2 miles I put in today (jogging).

Lydia227
05-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Okay everyone. I can now call myself a Mel's Bootcamp survivor. :coach: I discovered that she was planning to be in town this week and offered, okay, begged her to come to my gym to workout. I know how antsy I can become without a proper workout for more than three days in a row so I wanted her to be able to workout in peace. The reality was different. I could not help myself. I shadowed that poor woman all over the gym. It was great fun for me and I walked away with my ego still intact. Here's what I learned:

Mel really is my height. It's so nice to be eye to eye with another person.

I really can effectively warmup in the free weight area without the aid of my beloved cardio equipment. Thank you jump squats.

Lunges and I may become friends again after a knee scoping. I tried these presurgery and it felt like the tines of a fork poking through the underside of my kneecaps.

Mel really doesn't need both legs for a workout Everything she does is just on one leg. Trust me folks. Single leg deadlifts, and single leg rows are all about the set up. I heard her mutter that it's easier to execute these on a bosu ball. I have my doubts :dizzy:

The barbell can be used for more than the back squat. Okay, I already knew that but it's been a while. A year since I've done a squat push press combo. I know, I know it's in The Rules... but I've been chosing those exercises cafeteria style. :o

After all these years there is still hope that I may add height to my 5'2'' frame. :yes: Barbell Rollouts! Really, I swear I could feel my vertebrae separate down along my spine as I stretched out into a prone position about to kiss the bar. If I were about to meet my maker it would have been during this move. I'm relieved to know that I can further hit my lats by attacking this move from my knees as opposed to standing and rolling out. Now that I know both methods you can bet that I'll play with the standing one until I get it right or end up in the ER room. :s:

Weighted T-pushups are just as fun to do as they look. :D 'Nuff said.

I still have pretty good form with a back squat after taking all winter off from this exercise. :cool: Yes! Like riding a bike

I have plenty of room for growth in strength and stamina before I may even hold a towel for Ms. Mel. I was watching, she was using weights at least ten, fifteen, and twenty pounds heavier than I lift. I suspect she was holding back to be polite too.;)

Finally, and most importantly, it's okay to be "A Girl" while lifting. Mel has proved to me that lifting gloves will not clash with a running skirt and a pretty silver necklace. :chin: Maybe I could add a little bling to my workout wear as well. It'll be a hurdle for me though as my girlfriends all know I'm hesitant to even do this in my nongym clothes.

Mel is as we all know her here, a wonderful person. At the gym I introduced her as my mentor to the staff member who took our photos. Believe it or not, I think I made her blush. The reality is that Mel is as motivating, inspiring, honest, and real in person as she is within the forum. I am so glad to have had this opportunity to put a face and voice to the avatar. Thanks Mel! :hug:

Midwife: I do have photos. I told her you requested them. I really wanted them too though. ;) I'm going to send them to Mel for her approval before I post them.

Meg
05-09-2008, 05:00 AM
What a great wrapup, Lydia! We all wish we could have been there too. Looking forward to pictures!!:D

elisa822
05-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Lydia - I'm so envious!!! I wish we could all train together.

fiberlover
05-09-2008, 08:47 AM
On Friday I'm going to try some of those muffin recipes that call for protein powder. My daughter and her fellow track athletes are trying to increase their protein but they are not big fans of meat, so I thought I'd bake a few batches and see what they think. How else do you guys use protein powder?

Have a good one, ya'll!

My DH makes what he calls 'power muffins' and they are quite tasty. Here is his recipe

Makes 6 jumbo muffins ( or 12 regular size):

3 scoops (3/4 c.) protein powder
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. white flour
3/4 c. sugar
1 T. baking powder, 1/2 t. cinnamon, 1/2 t. nutmeg, 1/2 t. salt
1 c. milk
2 eggs (I used fat-free egg stuff)
1/2 c. applesauce
1 T. olive oil
1 c. blueberries

Mix as normal for muffin mixes ( wet into dry all at once). Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Regular muffins will be less time - but he always does the jumbo size.
At times he uses half splenda and half sugar, and will sub dark chocolate chips for the blueberries. He makes these quite often.

Dixiemae
05-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Hi all. I am new here. I into'ed myself a few weeks ago on the intro page. Some one there suggested I try this thread. I need to exercise and get back into shape. I would be up for a challenge to get focused and going. But I do have a few limitations. I read an older thread posted in 07 about a total resistance band workout. That sounds like something I can do. I am concerned, you all sound very advanced compared to where I am right now. Would some one write to me and let me know if this is the right place for me? Or suggest another group for me? I don't want to get frustrated and quit just when I am ready to make changes in my life and body. Thank you! Pat

Lydia227
05-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Elisa: That would be an equally incredible experience. I'm game. We should also plan on having time after the workouts to talk about all of our individual experiences. It is just amazing to be able to share the stories we all have with regard to our perspectives about this journey. Skim lattes all around. :coffee:

I'm surprised to be a little sore this morning. I am going in today only to do some recovery cardio. Saturday will be a scheduled day of. I am going to visit my dear grandmother who lives two hours from me. She has recently moved to an assisted living community this past winter. They are having a Mother's Day open house and she is quite excited to introduce me to all of her friends.

Happy Friday Everyone :wave:

Lifeguard
05-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Diximae - Welcome! We all had to start somewhere. This is a great bunch!

Lydia227
05-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi DixieMae :wave: and :welcome: I think you are totally in the right place. Just as Lifeguard has pointed out we all start from somewhere. I've been doing this for about :chin: three years and when I began I knew nothing about resistance training. Today I know just enough to be dangerous. :lol3:

There is a lot of information available and like any hobby or special interest it's not meant to be learned all at once. All you need is someplace to start and program to implement for four to six weeks. During those six weeks you can continue to read/research/watch/listen learn new approaches to resistance training. One of the things that I enjoy the most about weight and resistance training is that there is always something new to learn or a new technique to try. There are bands like you pointed out, as well as free weights, bodyweight exercises, physioball/core exercises, cable exercises...you get the picture.

You may begin researching your interest in resistance band exercises with the "stickies" posted at the top of the forum. I also like to locate videos on You Tube when I am looking for new material to use in the gym. Books/videos from the local library are also a good resource. If you have access to a gym the staff are also great to ask for advice with regard to form.

One of the things to keep in mind as you begin is to be certain to give the muscles you have worked 48 hours to heal after your workout is complete. For instance if you have done a full body workout on Monday, your next weight resistance session for the muscles you targeted should not be until Wednesday. On my non lifting days I will still go in and do some cardio for at least half and hour as well as stretching. The cardio sessions not only helps to burn more calories for that day but also increases blood circulation through the muscles I worked. This aids in the "healing" or recovery process that occurs the day after a lifting day.

Good luck and feel free to ask any of us for guidance or suggestions as you continue on your journey.

Dixiemae
05-10-2008, 01:24 AM
Hi Ladies-- Please give this newbie an idea where to start with this journey to toned muscles. I walk about 30 min a day. I just received a step counter in the mail. I have 48 pounds to lose. Before 3fc I was a complete couch potato. I can do yoga dvd's. Bouncy cardio is out as I have AO in both knees and hips. That doesn't mean I can't get my heart rate up with cardio. It also doesn't mean I can't reshape my body as I lose weight. Please point me to a starting place. I will be up for a challenge. Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am looking forward to getting to know you all. Pat

Dixiemae
05-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Hi Everyone. I went to the resistance band site someone had posted. I read all the information there. Now I am confused:dizzy: as to where to start. Any one know of an excellent resistance band dvd, chart, book?

Today I am going to work out in the yard planting flowers and getting the garden ready to plant. I want everything planted by sun set tomorrow. I hope that counts as low intensity exercise because there will be hours and hours of work getting it done.

Enjoy the beautiful day. Pat

Depalma
05-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi Everyone. I went to the resistance band site someone had posted. I read all the information there. Now I am confused:dizzy: as to where to start. Any one know of an excellent resistance band dvd, chart, book?

You can check out this video series. The people on this site normally do a pretty good job in explaining the movements.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video-series/1642_exercise-band.htm
or
Also, many of the bands you buy should have a chart and/or a DVD. From a home workout perspective, I am partial to the GoFit brand of products as they are the Core Performance/Atheletes Performance people. Those, I have bought for someone and did receive a DVD and (if I remember correctly also a chart) along with them.

Dixiemae
05-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Thank you Depalma! I will use this site as my starting point. BTW I went to the gofit.com. They are for sale. Yup they are taking bids. I used to see their equipment at a major sporting goods store. I have a pink, green, and teal bands that came with a pilaties kit. I will use them to get started.

Everyone have a good Mothers Day. Thanks again for your help and info. Pat

Depalma
05-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Thank you Depalma! I will use this site as my starting point. BTW I went to the gofit.com. They are for sale. Yup they are taking bids. I used to see their equipment at a major sporting goods store. I have a pink, green, and teal bands that came with a pilaties kit. I will use them to get started.

Everyone have a good Mothers Day. Thanks again for your help and info. Pat

I don't think they ever used Gofit.com as their site. You should be able to find their products at any sporting goods store or target. Probably Walmart too, but I know target carries at least some of their products. If you do want to buy direct over the web, their products are at the core performance store:

http://store.coreperformance.com/store/Departments/Equipment.aspx

In particular, this is what is applicable to your original post:

http://store.coreperformance.com/store/Products/Ultimate-ProGym-in-a-Bag__GF-PGYM-DVD.aspx

Another good brand of tubing if they don't have GoFit at your local stores is SPRI but I don't know if they have any packages with a DVD, I've only seen them sold separately with a little booklet.

Mel
05-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Lydia- I'm blushing terribly reading your post, but thank you!

Lydia is also an incredible person! It was truly amazing to look at another woman my height and size with MUSCLES, too! She looks fantastic, and is just as warm, energetic, and open in person as she is on the board :hug: And I'm sore from those rollouts! I haven't done them in a while...quite a while. Obviously they need to go back into my regularly scheduled workout :o

I had a great time, only got in one gym session (it was a great one, Lydia...Elisa, you are right, it would be so much fun to workout all together then talk about our experiences). I did make mostly good food choices, and took the stairs everywhere, walked when I could, but am sorely in need of some real cardio and getting back to a real schedule. The break felt good, 'tho.

Hi Dixiemae :wave: Welcome! Sounds like you've got a good start covered.

Ok, I'm off to attack the mountain of laundry and cook for tomorrow:p

Mel

nelie
05-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Hi all,

I'm a dork and can admit it. I got back from my vacation, started 2A in NRLW but then got sick. Took 2 weeks before I could breathe right. Lots of excuses. Anyway, I decided to start stage 1 over again and started today. I'm also adding in some kettlebell as part of it. Beyond being sick, I've been lazy and I hate it. I also have been struggling with food but I think I am in control now. I've even been having dreams about binging, which is crazy.

Ok thats me.

JerseyGirl69
05-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Hello, 3fcers. Popping in to say hi and share that as of this morning I hit 50 lbs gone since July 07.

Yesterday was legs day and it did me in so today I had to sleep in. Anyone find that their leg day wears them out the most? Cardio the next day for me is like slogging in mud! So, with the rain pounding on the roof, my dog snoring, and the warmth of a comforter over me, I decided today was as good a rest day as any. Probably the best choice for a rest day.

Training is going well...I can't tell you how pleased I am with my trainer. Thank you all for encouraging me to leave my former trainer.

Tomorrow she will see a surprise waiting for her, a bottle of champagne and a card to celebrate the 50lbs. (Yeah, yeah, I know, my former trainer had a part in things, but frankly, his ego is so hurt that I wouldn't give him a testimonial about the Challenge that he can barely acknowledge me. Since he's that immature and unprofessional, he doesn't earn any recognition.)

Yesterday's training was awesome. Hard as nails. She has progressed me to carrying 70lbs up a flight of stairs which kills me. I keep trying to go further, so when we started with 70 the other day, I added in a half a flight (the stairs have a Y and so I do both "arms" of the Y if you can imagine).

She paid me what I think is a tremendous compliment yesterday, saying she'd like me to train her for a day. I shared that I'd love that and how I have thought about being a trainer. I think I just might go for my certification just for the heck of it. (I don't think I'd make a career of it only because I believe I earn 2x as much doing what I'm doing, but maybe a p/t job? Or who knows, maybe I'll one day open up a studio specific to goals like mine...we know there are more out there like me.) She's even suggested I could teach her abs class. You trainers out there, agree this is a compliment? She's not the type to blow smoke up my arse.

What else is going on. An acquaintance at the gym asked me to do a little challenge with her, so here's what I came up with:

Our respective trainers will write down their goals for us for Labor Day. Each trainer will agree on the other's goals so there's balance that it is a goal to strive for. They will seal it in an envelope...we won't know what they want us to achieve. We have 16 weeks starting next Sunday to build up to that goal. (My reason for suggesting this is that the girl who asked me to do this struggles with motivation. If she doesn't know what is expected of her, it's natural to then just do what you're told. She's a workout whiner, so this will bring her in line.) When Labor Day comes, the goal will be revealed to us. Whoever achieves their goal will be the winner. The "prize" is being able to tell the other person's trainer to make a session hard as nails, maybe of everything they hate. If both achieve their goals, the winner will be the person who exceeds their's the most. I'm thinking of sweetening the "pot" to make the trainers have something on the line, like they have to have a session of their hardest workouts as well. We have a week to start, so if you have ideas about how to structure this, share them!

I may not post often, but I do read and see how you all are doing. Thank you always for the support!

Now onto the next 50.

Lifeguard
05-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Congrats Jerseygirl - it feels so great to hit those milestones, especially knowing how much sweat you've put into it!

It is so terrific you have found a trainer you like. I miss my trainers back home miserably!!! We chat regularly but it's not the same. Actually I'm a little worried when I go home at the end of the month they'll be disappointed by how little progress I've made since I've left!

So, I have decided that my eyes have just finally adjusted to my weightloss. You see, I was feeling pretty freakin' terrific about my weightloss & my body in general. I was dressing better & feeling GOOD when I went out in public.

But then the last month or so I've been miserable about my body image again. Nothing looks good & I'm constantly shocked at how fat I look to myself. So on the weekend DH took pictures of me with the dogs on the beach. Saw the pictures & just thought - UGH!! Well, I compared those pics to some we took about 3 months ago, in the same bathingsuit, well, you know, you can't tell they're taken on different days!

Then I thought I wonder if my measurements have changed. After doing all my measurements the only one that has gone up is my waist (which makes sense) & only by an inch. So I guess you can't argue with judge & jury, if my weight is the same, the pictures look the same & the measurements are the same - I must not be any fatter. So the only explanation is that my eyes have gotten over the joy of losing a good chunk of weight & are starting to see my body for what it is: a body that still needs to lose a good deal of weight! Ok - before anyone panics - I know I should not be losing weight when I'm pregnant! But it is reassuring to know that it is merely my perception that has changed!

Mel
05-13-2008, 07:33 AM
Good Morning :sunny: Afte yesterday's storms, it looks beautiful and GREEN out there.

I fell flat on my face in food last night for the first time in a long time. Too many things converging all at once...but as usual, it only made me feel worse. Where is the kick in the head smilie?

I did get up and do cardio, tho, and will do legs light at the gym today.

LG- It sounds like you are totally on track- your mind is playing tricks on you. Take some time to enjoy being pregnant, it doesn't happen too many times for most of us! Yes, your body is changing, but think of the wonderful outcome. You'll have years to NOT be pregnant and work on fitness. I'm not suggesting lying on the couch eating, but don't beat yourself up for slowing down a bit :)

Lydia- My abs are STILL sore!

Congratulations, JG.

Mel

jamsk8r
05-13-2008, 04:08 PM
JG, congratulations! Good luck with your new challenge. :)

Nelie, good for you for getting back on track! :hug:

LG, it sounds like you're doing fine, considering you're growing a baby at the same time. I'm sure your trainers will say the same when you get back home.

I've been fumbling my way through setting up some split routines this week. Trying to learn all this stuff online is just confusing, but what I've been thinking is that I'll pick 2 exercises per muscle group that I know how to do, and 1 new one to learn, for each muscle/group that I'm targeting, then do sets of 5 reps. So far, I can only handle 3 working sets (not counting warm-up sets), but I figure I'd like to work up to 5 sets. I've been going slow and really focusing on my form, and it feels like a good workout, even though it seems strange coming from the full body workouts, to just be focusing on arms or legs, etc. I'm liking that I can lift 5 days a week, though!

My knee seems to be cooperating, so far. I've just been sticking with slow jogging for cardio, which doesn't seem to bother it. Tomorrow night I'll give skating another try, and see if my knee can handle that yet.

Meg
05-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Congratulations on the 50 pounds gone, JG! :balloons: And have fun on your "training the trainer" day! :carrot: Those are hugely popular at my gym, always a blast, and a guaranteed client pleaser. Clients just love getting their revenge on trainers and it's a great change of pace for everyone involved. It's also a way to check out what the client has learned about program design and technique, so be alert to form, tempo, pacing, hitting all the components of a good workout -- all the things your trainer does for you. Be sure to come back and tell us all about it. :D

Lifeguard
05-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the support! Mom & I were chatting last night & when I said I just have a hard time not going all out she laughed & said I come by that naturally! BTW - she is waiting for surgery on both knees, one of which is a redo 'cause she pushed too hard, too soon after the last surgery!

I would be SOOOO nervous to train the trainer!

Waiting for dh to get home right now & then we're going to the gym. I've decided the big change I'm going to make to my routine is to drop the supersets, do a few less exercises per workout (3-4 instead of 5) & tack on a little more steady state cardio at the end to give me more of a cool down. Ok - truth be told I haven't really been doing much of a cool down but after some reading I'm convinced it is more important right now.

srmb60
05-14-2008, 06:04 AM
Delurking to say good morning.

I'm getting the hang of the equipment at the gym and seem to have the confidence of both our PT and the gym owner soooo ... I feel confident enough to be tweaking my routine.

I'm just so glad you all are here. Don't know what I'd do without you.

Mel
05-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Morning :sunny:

Susan- Great to hear that you are in the gym and enjoying the workouts :strong: Have you met with the trainer again?

LG- lol, it does sound like you come by it naturally. I don't envy your mom, but I do understand her!

I did a 4 mile treadmill run this morning and will lift a lunchtime. A leg-shoulder combo :rofl: Yesterday I felt to sick to lift, but today my problem just seems to be a completely stuffed up ear hopefully due to allergies (which I didn't know I had :?:). I raced home yesterday and mowed the lawn after work because everyone else in the household has such bad allergies and the grass was nearly a foot high after being away and all the rain. Not being able to hear out of one ear and feeling like one side of my head may explode is really annoying :dizzy: It didn't bother me when I ran, so maybe I should put my running shoes back on and just do the whole day at 7 mph :lol3:

Food back on track....

Have a good one,

Mel

Lifeguard
05-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Oh Mel, I hope it isn't (new) allergies. Allergies are no fun at all! I worry about my Mom but I also worry about my own knees. I've never had a problem but she sure has & her Mom had to have both knees replaced. Ugh! One more reason to keep working hard in the gym!

srmb60
05-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Hi Mel ... our PT had her gall bladder out last week, so I've been talking more with the gym owner. I learn something (mostly about form) almost every time I go.

I've worked my way up to weights that challenge me but are doable. I understand the machines and their relationship to me. I can 'put my mind in the muscle' ... think about what my body is doing.

Now I'm working some free weights in at home, I've talked to PT and Gym Owner about alternate exercises, I will work my way into a three or four day split (and hopefully they will encourage me)
I think their big concern is safety. I'm sure lots of folks walk in and say they know what they're doing. I thought I did too ;)

baffled111
05-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Hi everyone!

I've been slack about posting recently, but I'm still hanging around. :)

I started stage 7 of NROLW yesterday. :eek: For those of you who haven't memorized the book, that meant a couple of sets of bb squats followed by a quadruple superset of 4x15-20 lunges, push-ups, romanian DLs and DB rows with only 30 seconds between sets. Yikes. I'm achey all over today, which is nice. It's been a while. :)

Happy lifting, ladies!

nelie
05-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Baffled, you are so far! I just started over. I did 1B this morning...

I may be killing my workout, who knows but I'm basically doing the exercise in the book, then I pick a random kettlebell workout, then exercise in book, kettlebell, etc. It is fun and actually keeps my heart going.

I'm still struggling with the food thing, as always but I do think I have a pretty good handle on it for now.

elisa822
05-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Baff - I'm so impressed at how far you've gotten with the NROLW! Like Nelie, I've slacked a bit and wonder if I should go back to the beginning. I love the workouts but can never seem to fit it all in.

On a more positive note, I'm having a much better week than the last couple. Being sick and very busy put a damper in my workouts but this week I ran 5k on Monday (and somehow managed my best time yet at under 27 minutes!), had an amazing yoga class yesterday and did a power class today.

AND I finally changed my current weight in my profile! I've really tried to focus on my food for the last couple of months or so and it's really helped. For so long my weight fluctuated between 130 and 135 and then it finally dipped below 130. For the last couple of weeks it's gone between 126 and 128 so I put in 127 as a compromise and to keep me on track! ;) And all of this is with a few splurge meals sprinkled here and there. I will do my best to keep it up!

What has really helped me has been logging my food in fit day. I don't do it every day and I don't even try to log in the splurge meals but I don't let one "bad" meal get in the way. I just stay away from the scale for a couple of days and get right back to it.

Hi to everyone.

Lydia227
05-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Baffled: You are doing great with the NRules. I'm with Nelie and Elisa as far as following it straight through. I've kind of picked through and used new exercises to enhance my current workouts. I am glad to have it though to give me more options.

Elisa: Congratulations on your lose and a new personal record for the 5k. :high: You must be feeling great with these two occurring during the same time.

Nelie: You are doing so well. I struggle with the food too. It's hard to be in constant loss mode and sometimes I just have to slide into maintenance mode before I can go at it again. For me to keep from completely falling on my face I have to be consistent with my workouts. Without the workouts I forget why maintaining my weightloss is so important to me.

SusanB: It sounds like you are having a great experience with your new gym membership. Great job in focusing as well. It's hard sometimes to keep the "mind in the muscle" but it really does make a difference as you are experiencing. I find that it just allows me to work into the muscle just a little deeper. Do you notice this too or am I just :crazy: :lol:

LG: Needless to say I'm all about the knees now too. My 4 year old is always zipping around the floors and then drops and slides into the room on his knees. His quick come back without any prompting now is "I'm Okay," and off he goes. I ache just to watch him.

I also totally understand your post about having a different view of yourself now that you have maintained your loss for a while. I really went through this too. That first summer I was at least ten if not fifteen pounds heavier than I am right now but i thought I looked awesome. :lol3: The reality was that it had been so long since I've seen my own face that I didn't notice anything else below the waist. The honeymoon phase began to die about the second year when I began to see things that I didn't notice before. I noticed just how dreadful my thighs were during a downward dog yoga pose. I've been humbled ever since. At my current weight I am very realistic about my less than perfect parts. I am imperfect but I had to work darn hard just to get this far. I'll enjoy that part of the success and keep working just to see what else I can accomplish. In the meantime, just don't ask me to wear shorts during my workouts.

Mel: So did you annoy all the Type B personalities around you as you raced about your day at 7mph? I hope your ear is feeling better now.

JG: Wow! A great big congratulations to you too! This was just been a wonderful year for you. (sob) And I remember when you first started posting with us. :hug: Have you had your revenge day for the trainer? What a wonderful thing for you to present her with a bottle of champagne as well. I can't send one to you so this will have to do. :cheers: I have my own bottle tucked away on the top shelf of my pantry waiting for me to reach goal. Some of you may recall it's been up there almost three years now. Boy I hope I get to uncork that thing this summer. :yes:

Meg: So the train the trainer thing is a trick to pick the clients brain. Love it. All the more reason to set up a particularly well thought out but grueling workout. :devil:

So I had a decent workout today. I did a little bit of barbell work something like a deadlift, pushpress, squat combo and feeling a little insecure as I worked my way through the first set. Then up walks a friend. :goodvibes: She came just to say Hi and that I was looking really good with this movement. I then felt so much better. Silly I know but sometimes I still can feel a little weird doing things that are new/challenging, working out the kinks with so many other people within eyeshot. It's getting better but I doubt that it will ever completely go away for me. :rolleyes: I also added the t-pushups to my set of horizontal pullups. That was great fun but I felt a couple of times that my momentum was going to cause me to roll all the way over onto my back just like a turtle. It will happen. Just a matter of time.

Here is a picture from the workout with Mel last Thursday. Mel's the one with gloves! There are shots with our faces. I just had a little technical difficulty which will be sorted out soon then I will upload them as well.

http://www.frameworkpress.com/images/Lydia_and_Mel_small.jpg

Meg
05-15-2008, 03:53 AM
Awesome photo!!! Two gorgeous arms. :love:

srmb60
05-15-2008, 05:46 AM
Morning all!

Lydia ... nice pic. I love nice woman arms!
If I let my mind wander, so do my counts and so does my form. Even between ball extensions yesterday, I had to think about relaxing over the ball or else I was still partly tense. Not good for an old nurses back.

JerseyGirl69
05-15-2008, 06:57 AM
Mornin', all. I'm online because I slept in instead of going to the gym for cardio. I'm sooo tired. These 4ams catch up with ya.

Foodwise, I'm still doing Atkins and eating to BMR. Weight is fluctuating between 270 and 272. Trying not to be consumed by the # because of the training. Think supersets might just cause a muscle gain and the scale will notice, LOL.

Training is most excellent (Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure reference). My trainer has said I should teach her classes. I'm really toying with getting certified, but wonder if I should--can I be an instructor/trainer part time? I know I make more than the average trainer, so I wouldn't want to switch careers totally, but I also seem to have folks gravitate toward me to learn from me, so I'm not sure what to do.

Cardio is going eh. I've just felt like I am hard to move, hard to get the most out of lately. Figure that's just exhaustion. Hard to fit in the ti me, too.

I hate cardio. Boring as ****.

JerseyGirl69
05-15-2008, 07:04 AM
Hi, Lydia!

Yes, now I can acknowledge that I've found a rhythm and what my body needed. What a journey to get to that. Was so hard before, not losing and working hard.

Revenge day--thought of one with ex trainer, but then the relationship got strained. Oy, he can't even acknowledge me anymore. Very hurtful.

K, my new trainer, actually ASKED me for one. She wants me to train her for a day. Honestly? I think she's really trying to test me out, see how I'd relate as a trainer. She's asked a lot of questions to get a picture of me as an exerciser that make me think she has something else in mind.

She's surprised I've only been training for <1 year. I guess my body reacted very quickly cuz even when weight loss is slow, I've advanced in terms of level of program. I already do many advanced ab exercises. WEights have doubled in 6 weeks. Things like that....

Meg, thanks for the tip on how to construct a good session for her. What I'm not sure is how to know what weights to suggest for her, how to know "her level". She's already told me I lift more than she does on most things.

JerseyGirl69
05-15-2008, 07:06 AM
Oh, I forgot to share something about the bottle of champagne.

I put the bottle in the trainer's room on the table near where she sits, knowing between clients she'd pop in and see it, likely just before our session. I saw two trainers notice it and move on. Another, not so much. Saw this person lift the note open to read it, though it was clearly labeled with her name and the contents were folded in. Nosy SOB. Told K and she was apalled.

Who do you think that was, hmmm?

Mel
05-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Cool ARMS! :strong:

I'm sore! It's so long since I've been sore that it's really a pleasure. Squats with an overhead press, super-setted with side raises while doing lunges did it. That may sound weird, but I missed a leg workout and it was really shoulder day. I'm actually loving these wacko BIG exercises after so many years of body building type workouts.

Baf- Congratulations on how well you are doing with NROL. I use it more for ideas.

Elisa- Congrats on getting a handle on the food. I think for most of us HERE, that's the hardest part. Probably reversed on many other threads :lol3:

gotta run,

Mel

nelie
05-15-2008, 08:40 AM
I'm jealous, I want to work out with Mel :)

I know I'd be a horrible trainer mostly because I've killed many people trying. I took one girl to the gym with me, she could barely walk for days "oops". I did have another friend going with me for a while and she did pretty good. She wasn't very strong so I did have to get creative with her because she was basically starting from bottom. My husband always thought I used too much weight and he still thinks that :)

Lydia - I hear you. I've been losing, maintaining, losing for.... nearly 5 years. Actually my 5 year anniversary is in a couple weeks. I was hoping to be at goal by now but I am happy where I am at.

baffled111
05-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Fabulous arms, ladies! Very impressive.

I've enjoyed working through the program, actually. I like not having to think too much about it. I'm not sure what I'll do next though. Gotta think about splits, I guess.

My eating is really appalling at the moment. I think I'm GAINING weight. All of a sudden, none of my pants fit properly. I've been really binging on sweet things all day long. It's really bad. My meals are spot on but I am exerting no discipline over snacking and grazing. I need to get a handle on it before I have to buy new pants! Also, I have all these great muscles and I want to show them off. They're getting buried under flab.

Bah!

It's a glorious spring day and I'm going morel hunting. :)

Happy workouts.

Lydia227
05-15-2008, 11:52 AM
I've been losing, maintaining, losing for.... nearly 5 years. Actually my 5 year anniversary is in a couple weeks. I was hoping to be at goal by now but I am happy where I am at.

Wow Nelie. Five years is a long time to keep the momentum going just for maintenance not to mention digging back into losing mode again. Really, I'm sure there are more accurate stats somewhere but a friend of mine had mentioned that 98% of the population will regain the majority of their weight within the two years of a significant loss. So hey, :dunno: I think we have to be thrilled with what we have been able to accomplish for as long as we have. 98% sounded really high to me too.(I'm already hearing everyone grimacing and debating over the number) I think it is a little too high and pessimistic. But if it's not then I guess we are the special 2% :hug: Can't say I've been a member of too many clubs that were that exclusive. :D How about you? ;)

Baffled: Morel hunting. That sounds so woodsy and fun. I miss outdoor treks. It's a little different experience now with the boys. The call of the wild is more like the call of the whine, "How far till we get back to the car..."

I also had a hard time with grazing last summer. It was kind of weird that I did continue to lose a little over the summer but nothing significant. Maybe a three or four pounds. The really intense workouts probably helped prevent the gain. I was fine with the meals just like you but I think I was overall unsatisfied after eating and find myself looking for a mini mini meal to get me through till the next "feed." After I stopped buying chocolate chips and peanuts it got better for me. :lol: What really helped me was watermelon. Does anyone know if this is a good choice with regard to carb content. I guess I could look it up. The watermelon really fills me up almost to the point of being uncomfortable. I think I went through maybe a melon all by myself in a week. :dizzy:

JG: I hope that I never have to get up at 4:00am for a workout. I just don't think I could do it. What time do you go to bed. :dizzy: I'd be calling it a day by 7:00 I'm sure. I'm so proud of your commitment to yourself and in being able to do this even at 4:00am. Wow.

So I did a lower body today. Instead of doing cardio for 30 to 45 minutes before lifting I warmed up with Mel's squat jumps/lunges and then dove right into my back squats/deadlifts, split squats/step ups, 1 legged squats and leg raises off the bench. I did some hamstring curls with the free motion equipment and then set up the barbell for rollouts. Okay. Now, is there a trick to getting those big 45 pound bumper(?) weights on and off the Olympic bar. :doh: Yikes, what a struggle. I'm thinking that the real workout is just getting it set up never mind the rollout itself. :faint: I might be buying a wheel to keep in a locker for my ab set. :yes: After all of that I did the 30 minutes of cardio. Talk about a slog fest. OMG. I could barely keep it going. All praise the rule of "mixing it up." It really is effective. :D

Time to push DS2 on the swing. It's actually not raining today. Have a great afternoon everyone. :wave:

Dixiemae
05-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Hi, I didn't bale out on the group! I didn't have a clue where to start with a resistance band total body work out. Soooooooo I went to our local library today and wah lah. I found a power band book that comes with a dvd. It is for beginners. My starting point. I have found a 2 mile walk dvd that comes with a resistance band. Not bouncy or dancy, doable for me. Now I am on my way. I went through my exercise dvd's yesterday. I found 2 that I can do, also found 2 good stretch dvd's. Yesterday I put on my pedometer and walked 12,829 steps. A small beginning, but a beginning! Thanks Pat

Dixiemae
05-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Hi again, I have read the resistance band work out book. Read how to do each exercise. The beginners work out looks like this.

Arms: 2x15 standing biceps curl
2x15 standingtriceps extentions

Shoulders:15 shoulder lateral raise
15 shoulder front raise
15 shoulder rear delt

chest:15 chest press/w band

back: 15 middle back standing row
15 standing laeral pulldown

legs: 15 squats

Glutes: 15 four ped glues each leg

Hamstrings:15 sanding hamstring

Abs: 2x20 crunches
2x20 seated rotation on ball each leg

Does this sound like a good solid total body beginners band workout? Thanks Pat

midwife
05-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Squeee!!! I LOOOOOVEE the picture!! You guys rock!!!!