Veggie Challenged - Cucumber aka Puke-umber

View Full Version : Cucumber aka Puke-umber

Fat Chick B Gone
04-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Sorry it's what I called it as a kid :D
I've learned to eat a lot more veggies then I ever did as a kid but I'm still pretty anti-cucumber. I can deal with it in taziki sauce but that's about it. I need to buy one to make a dab of homemade taziki but trying to figure out what to do with the rest of the cuke. Any ideas on disguising it in something? Tossing it into my salads doesn't work!!

Suzanne 3FC
04-30-2008, 10:28 AM
I love cucumber! Buy a bottle of seasoned rice vinegar and drizzle it over fresh slices of cucumber. It's really good :T

DCchick
04-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Make gazpacho? http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_23574,00.html

Fat Chick B Gone
04-30-2008, 12:49 PM
I love cucumber! Buy a bottle of seasoned rice vinegar and drizzle it over fresh slices of cucumber. It's really good :T

Hmm still sounds a bit too much like cucumber, maybe after I learn to like them!!

Make gazpacho? http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_23574,00.html

That recipe sounds yummy!! Good call DCchick!

Thanks ladies. Keep em coming! I'm trying to make myself acquire a taste for all veggies!

kaplods
04-30-2008, 01:47 PM
I have never liked cucumbers, and didn't really know why. I just thought they were gross. Until I had cucumber that had almost no seeds (I think maybe it was english cucumber), I realized it was the slimy texture of the center of the cucumber that I didn't like. So now I remove the seeds first. I cut the cucumber in half length-wise and scoop out the seeds. Then I either dice it in small cubes, or slice it thinly. I've also used a vegetable peeler to peel the cucumber, thrown away the peel and then continued to use the vegetable peeler to make thin ribbons of cucumber to put on a salad (when I get down to the seedy-center, I throw the rest away.

Kriket84
04-30-2008, 04:19 PM
watermelon cucumber gazpacho. mighty tasty.
cucumbers and mint and yogurt. tasty.
cucumbers and tomatoes with cilantro and vinegar. Tasty.
Cucumbers balled up marinated in apple cider vinegar tossed into a salad. tasty.
I <3 me some 'cucks

martinlady711
04-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Oh I absolutely LOVE cucumbers. I like to peel them, cut them, and drizzle just a dab of ff ranch on them and maybe some ff cheese with a dash of pepper on the top! YUM!

zenor77
04-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Maybe you'd like them cooked versus raw? Try sauteeing them in a little olive oil until hot and tender, season, eat. I came across cooked cukes in an old cookbook. I guess at one point cooking them was the norm.

kaplods
04-30-2008, 07:16 PM
I do like cooked cucumber, it's almost indistinguishable from cooked zucchinni.

cheetara
04-30-2008, 08:01 PM
you can eat them with hummus! :)

Fat Chick B Gone
04-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Hmm never thought about cooking them since they're so high in water. I do love cooked zucchini, might be a good place to start if it does taste like that!

CrazedLedZepFan
05-03-2008, 03:34 PM
If you like a lot of other veggies, I say don't force yourself to like cucumber. I love veggies but there are certain ones I know I'll never like (celery).

PhotoChick
05-08-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm with whoever wrote that they don't like the seeds. I slice them lengthwise, use my thumb down the length to scoop out the seeds, then slice them. The bonus there is that you're left with a nice curved scoop shape that is perfect for scooping up a little hummus! :)

ddc
05-09-2008, 09:19 AM
I hate them too! Bleck!!
Why eat them if you don't like them?
You shouldn't force yourself to eat something that you don't love.

pintobean
10-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Sorry Heather, I'm several months too late to respond :lol: but here's how I like to eat cucumber. I don't know if you finally gave up on it or are still looking into ways to try it. I only eat the English Cucumber cuz they're seedless and I always peel. Here goes...

- Grated, squeezed excess water and mixed in with yogurt (you can try it with soy yogurt). I don't know how it will taste with soy yogurt. I add little salt and black pepper.

- Slice them and add it to my cucumber veggie sandwich and season to taste

- Dice them up small and add to diced up red onions, tomatoes, cilantro, cayenne, lemon, salt and black pepper to taste. (chilled)

- Cut them length wise and put some salt/pepper to taste, dash of lemon and just eat it. (chilled)

Hope this helps :)
(I really need to read more stuff on 3fc)

luvja
10-29-2008, 11:47 AM
I love cucumbers with italian salad dressing on it :)

Fat Chick B Gone
10-29-2008, 11:48 AM
I will eat it mixed with other stuff - like in a pita wrap or quinoa salad just not by itself. There are precious few veggies I won't eat that I'm okay with my arm's length relationship with cukes!

JulieJ08
10-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Mmm, I like my cucumbers. I don't eat a ton, but a little bit is tasty and refreshing just as they are, and I also like them diced into things. Adds such a nice fresh taste.

The advice about seeds is good. The English cucumbers are the long skinny ones in shrink wrap, and they are better. You can also salt cucumbers, like you do eggplant, to concentrate the flavor ... hmm, maybe not what you want :dizzy:. But it would help if it's a texture thing for you.

I've heard of slicing cucumber into water, especially for hot days. Sounded good, didn't like it as much as I expected to. But I think it's something I'll enjoy after trying it a few more times.

mazza
10-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Cucumber with balsamic vinegar and feta.

sessa555
12-09-2008, 03:39 AM
Ooooo...I love the idea of making cucumber peels to put in salads, that's awesome! I am cucumber challenged, but trying to learn to like them since they weigh a lot and I have to eat a ton of raw green veggies every day. I think if I peeled the skin off, then made peels of the inside and/or grated it, I could possibly manage to eat them. I get the english cucumbers since they have way less seeds. Thanks!

tommy
12-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Do you like pickles? I keep a container of sliced cucumbers and onions in the fridge at all times. Slice them, layer with ground pepper, Splenda (or sugar if you can take it), just a little salt, and top with apple cider vinegar. Let sit at least 3 days. Just keep topping up all the ingredients as they go low. I eat a small bowl with almost everything.

kittycat40
12-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Do you like pickles? I keep a container of sliced cucumbers and onions in the fridge at all times. Slice them, layer with ground pepper, Splenda (or sugar if you can take it), just a little salt, and top with apple cider vinegar. Let sit at least 3 days. Just keep topping up all the ingredients as they go low. I eat a small bowl with almost everything.

I bought apple cider vinegar months ago. NOW, I know what I'll do with it ;)
thx.

K8-EEE
12-15-2008, 12:29 PM
OMG really??? I grow cukes in my garden and my kids devour them like candy! We are like the super-cuke house....they are in every salad, on almost every plate!

Have you tried the different varieties? At the Armenian store by my house they have these little mini-cucumbers, persian type, that are so sweet and crunchy, with tiny seeds and very thin skin.

The regular grocery store kind with the thick wax coating, the wax stuff is kinda pukey. They do that because the fresh ones go bad really quick without it; maybe you would like the English hothouse kind better?

kittycat40
12-15-2008, 12:34 PM
regular market cukes can be soooo bitter. english hothouse are reliably sweet.

JackieRn
12-31-2008, 07:39 PM
I like pickles but not cucumbers. Its strange but I don't like the smell or texture of regular unpickled cucumbers.

Casandra
01-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Make Lasagna. I always toss in some fresh (puree'd) veggies, zuccini and cucumber...peppers, onions when I make a homemade red sauce for pasta :D

Really hides the flavours but gets the veggies in!!

katiejames
01-03-2009, 03:59 PM
cucumbers are great.. you know what is nasty? canned asparagus! YUCK YUCK!

willow650
01-03-2009, 04:08 PM
I dont like Cucumbers either. The veggies I will eat is a MUCH shorter list than the ones I wont eat.

JulieJ08
01-03-2009, 04:20 PM
cucumbers are great.. you know what is nasty? canned asparagus! YUCK YUCK!

I can't even imagine ...

dawnie89
01-30-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm English and curious about these seedless English cucumbers, all the ones I've ever seen look to have lots of seeds in. Are they a US thing that don't exist over here, like English Muffins? Not that I would touch a cucumber with a ten foot pole anyway - cukes are just wrong, and they would still be wrong if I wasn't allergic to them.