100 lb. Club - What do you cook for others?

View Full Version : What do you cook for others?

Nada
04-29-2008, 07:49 PM
I went to a family funeral the other day and there was much food brought to the house but most of it was on the calorie-laden side. It was, of course much appreciated, but it made me start thinkng about the sorts of things I prepare for others.
What path do you take? Signature dishes that get raved over but may be full of fat or more healthy options?
I think I will send more healthy options from now on, assuming they will get the other types of food from other people.:)

mandalinn82
04-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Healthy Signature Dishes!

I make several "showstopper" dishes, all of which are 100% on plan for me...I have appetizers, entrees, casseroles...so I bring those.

You're right that most people receiving lots of options tend to get the more calorie-laden ones. I know that when others provide food for me, I almost never get any vegetables. A well-cooked veggie dish might be awesome.

Lovely
04-29-2008, 08:03 PM
I try to make the healthier dishes. But, I'm still searching for "the one" that people will rave about, but is still on the healthier side. It's my mission! I'll find it :D

slimmingsi
04-29-2008, 08:52 PM
shallowed fried talapia, covered in chilli powder. served up with a mixed leaf salad drizzled in flax seed oil and mixed herbs

slimmingsi
04-29-2008, 08:53 PM
when it comes to chilli or curry the hotter the better, i like the kinda food where you put your toilet paper in the fridge in preparation for the next day

kaplods
04-29-2008, 09:30 PM
I don't really do "heart attack on a plate," recipes, no matter who I'm cooking for, but I do take into account who I am cooking for, and what their tastes might be. Most of my potluck, party, and gifted meals are relatively healthy, but not obviously so - no one would think I'm trying to put them on a diet against their will.

I often add tvp (soy) granules to my ground beef mixtures, but never served it, or many other "diet recipes," to company until a couple years ago I was making taco meat when a bunch of my husband's friends stopped by and hubby asked if they could stay for dinner. I added tvp to make the taco meat stretch for the crowd, and the guys all loved it, asking it for my "secret" to tacos that weren't greasy but tasted great.

Now I have a lot of healthy potluck standbys. I also have quite a few recipes that aren't super low calorie, and are just plain tastey, but they're not overly fatty either. Like my chili. I make it for my husband's gaming friends because most of them love super hot food. I usually make it mild enough for my husband who is the "wimp" of the group (for him, it can be spicy, but not blistering), and then supply hot sauces, red chili flakes, and ground jalapeno for those who want it hotter. I like to make it with chunks of lean beef or pork steak rather than ground meat, and either include lots of beans or serve it with beans on the side. I also include a lot of veggies, and sometimes tomato juice or V-8. It's lean, but not super lean.

I really don't do "death by chocolate," or other super crazy fat-filled concoctions. It's not a philisophical issue, I just don't eat it, so I don't think to make it. I make things I like and assume other people will too, and I'm usually right. One of my favorite healthy recipes for potlucks is a vegetable salad. I buy mixed frozen vegetables (Walmart's asparagus or snap pea stir fry blend is a favorite). The night before the event, I put them in a bowl (frozen) and add chopped onion, and sometimes some of the following: celery, green pepper, pickled mild pepper rings, olives, baby tomatoes, minced garlic, artichoke hearts, baby corn... and then a salad dressing and let it thaw in the fridge overnight. For the dressing, I usually an oil and vinegar based dressing, but french is very good also. Even using a full fat italian dressing, the salad is pretty light, but I usually make my own light dressing, or dilute a bottled full fat dressing by adding mild rice wine vinegar and a little splenda.

It's always a great hit at potlucks and I almost always get a request for the recipe.

SuchAPrettyFace
04-30-2008, 12:56 AM
when it comes to chilli or curry the hotter the better, i like the kinda food where you put your toilet paper in the fridge in preparation for the next day

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You owe me a new keyboard!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

slimmingsi
04-30-2008, 08:26 AM
i must put a disclaimer on my comments then

rockinrobin
04-30-2008, 09:34 AM
When I need to bring something to someone's home, & ESPECIALLY if I'm there to eat it, then I definitely bring something healthy & delicious. Butternut Squash Soup travels well in containers and gets HUGE raves. Or a spectacular salad. Everyone always appreciates that.

But if I'm sending something to someone where I won't be eating it, I will admit, I usually send something - caloric. Time to rethink that.......

Beverlyjoy
04-30-2008, 09:47 AM
I usually bring soup, chili, or turkey and noodles. Sometimes I'll ask what they want. Depends on the situation.

When my neighbor had her twins I wanted to take over dinner one night. She was so glad I asked. She had so many "casserole" type things. But, she was craving a taco supper - so that's what I made.

When my Dad died...we were thankful for everything folks brought in But- really loved the big salad.

Good thing to think about.

Trazey34
04-30-2008, 10:26 AM
When people come to my house to eat, I usually make something fancy and a bit heavy on the calories side - because they only eat it once in a blue moon might as well make it spectacular LOL and I'll just eat some of the meat and salad perhaps. When DH has to take something to a pot luck, again, it's heavy on the calories but the dish always comes back empty :D Usually "brownie" related hahahah When I"M going to be eating it too, I usually make a taco salad and assemble it there so it's nice and fresh -- I use ground beef/ground turkey no one knows the difference, with a light creamy dressing, it's awesome and not too bad calorie-wise :D

rockinrobin
04-30-2008, 10:33 AM
I used to think that when I was having guest over that I couldn't serve them "my food". In fact the year that I was losing I simply avoided having guests over all together because I didn't want to cook any "bad" food. But I love to entertain and I missed it lots, so I decided from now on my company will get what I eat. And of course what I eat is absolutely FANTASTIC and DELICIOUS and anyone and EVERYONE can enjoy it. Heck, if I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't be eating it and sticking with this lifestyle. So from now on my company gets what I eat and they LOVE it. LOVE it. I have some spectacular, like MAndalinn says, showstoppers, that are "premium restaurant" worthy.

Trazey34
04-30-2008, 11:08 AM
hehehe my friends would have my head on a platter if I didnt' make my chocolate truffle cheesecake with hot raspberry sauce! There's no substitute in the world that can make that bad-boy healthy LOL

Beverlyjoy
04-30-2008, 11:27 AM
When I have to bring a "dish to pass" - it's always something I can eat. Last weekend we went to a potluck farewell party for a colleague of DH's. He signed up for cake and icecream. I thought I had him better 'trained' that that. ;) So, I also took my favorite side dish - greenbeans. It's a wonderful 'go to' dish. I take several cans of drained french style green beans, add nuked chopped mushrooms, garlic powder and some EVOO. It's SO good and I can eat alot. It's a good thing I did because - there was alot of fatty foods there.

When folks come here - it's mainly healthy tastey things. I often ask others to bring the dessert and then take the leftover goodies home. :)

rockinrobin
04-30-2008, 01:44 PM
hehehe my friends would have my head on a platter if I didnt' make my chocolate truffle cheesecake with hot raspberry sauce! There's no substitute in the world that can make that bad-boy healthy LOL

Chocolate Truffle Cheesecake with Hot Raspberry Sauce???????? Oh my, oh my. :p:p:p

Forgive me people, dare I ask - Trazey - I want that recipe, I think :?:.

mandalinn82
04-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Trazey - I get a feeling I'll gain 2 lbs just reading the recipe, am I right? Sounds HEAVENLY though.

My most recent company meal was for my mother's birthday dinner. I made chicken breasts, which I stuffed with a mixture of fresh cubed mozzarella, sundried tomato, basil, garlic, salt, and pepper. I served them with artichokes braised in garlic and lemon and polenta cooked with a bit of parmesan and cracked black pepper. It's a visually appealing kind of dish, but 100% on plan.

kaplods
04-30-2008, 02:39 PM
My husband and I are foodies, and he has four star restaurant training. We love good food, it's our hobby and our passion. If we had to sacrifice flavorful food to lose weight, I don't think we'd be able to do it. We've each lost almost 50 lbs, and we've done so by learning to make (or find) food that is amazing and low in calorie. We make and eat things that aren't just "really good for diet food," but that are just plain good. Some of my most favorite foods happen to be healthy.

We found a new thai/hmong restaurant in town, and some of their dishes are extremely light and yet extremely wonderful (not just judged by healthy standards, they would stand their own against wonderful food that happened to be unhealthy). I'm trying to persuade the owner to offer a cooking class. The papaya salad is amazing. The papaya isn't sweet, it's more like a vegetable. The salad tastes like a garlicky, slightly fishy coleslaw (if you like a really garlicky caesar salad, you'd probably love it). It's shredded green papaya, fish sauce, hot peppers (you tell them how many, if any peppers you want) lime juice, slices of tiny green eggplant, garlic, more garlic, thinly sliced scallion - mmm. I would definitely choose it over most higher calorie salads.

The spring rolls and rice rolls are also very light and really wonderful. Fresh lettuce, scallion, carrot, thinly sliced meat or shrimp, wrapped in a thin rice paper (sort of like a very thin really stretchy, chewy noodle), and a thin vinegar-based sauce for dipping.

The Pho (pronounced Fuh) is a great broth based soup. It can be pretty caloric if you eat all of the noodles, but if you focus on the broth and the lean meat in it, you're full before you eat a lot of calories. They serve it with a large side of fresh bean sprouts, lime wedges, fresh basil and and sliced jalapenos so you add them to taste. I use ALL of the bean sprouts.

The laab (also spelled larb or laub) is a salad made with very lean ground beef, scallions, fish sauce, lime and jalapeno peppers, served on a large bed of leaf lettuce.

Their spicy tilapia is also a wonderful low calorie dish. It's so amazing, I have to say it's my all-time favorite restaurant dish ever. They also serve a wonderful steamed tilapia, that's steamed with cilantro, scallion and basil wrapped in a banana leaf and steamed.

Since they opened a couple months ago, we haven't gone to any other restaurant. Also, they offer so many light options, and their prices are so ridiculously low (we've ordered takeout lunches that were under $8 - not each, but for the both of us), that we eat there fairly frequently.

I think alot of people lose motivation very quickly when they believe (and therefore only experience) only unhealthy food tastes good. In that sense, I feel I'm a bit of a woman on a mission. I love being able to prove that healthy food can taste just as good, and often better than high-fat favorites.

Trazey34
04-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Chocolate Truffle Cheesecake
Pre-made Chocolate Wafer Crust or use a 9 oz package chocolate wafer cookies & 3 T butter melted

12 oz semisweet good Belgian or Swiss chocolate
1 C heavy cream
Two 8 oz packages cream cheese (full fat, lite won’t work)
3/4 C sugar
4 Eggs
2 tsp vanilla
Chop chocolate into small pieces & melt over double-boiler, adding cream as it melts. Take off heat as soon as melting starts. Mix the creamcheese and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each egg. Add the vanilla and the chocolate cream mixture. Mix well. Bake 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours at 325 or until cake is set around the edges but still jiggles slightly in the centre. Cool and put in the fridge for at least 6 hours. I use a 9” springform pan

Triple Raspberry Sauce
- makes 2 cups -
Ingredients
1/2 pint fresh raspberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 cup seedless raspberry jam
2 tablespoons framboise
Put raspberries, sugar & water in small sauce pan & heat to a boil for 4 mins, stirring. Put thru small sieve to get seeds out, and return to pan. Turn off heat. Add jam & framboise .

Nice to have the sauce warm on cold cheesecake but it works at any temperature! I usually finish with a sprinkle of slivered almonds!

Lyn2007
04-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Chocolate Truffle Cheesecake
12 oz semisweet good Belgian or Swiss chocolate
1 C heavy cream
Two 8 oz packages cream cheese (full fat, lite won’t work)
3/4 C sugar
4 Eggs

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! ::runs screaming::

Trazey34
04-30-2008, 03:27 PM
I KNOW!!!!!!!!! I know, Lyn, it's horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!! runnnnnnnn!!!! I haven't eaten any in over a year LOL but I've made it a bunch of times.

hahahah eggs, cream cheese, CREAM, CHOCOLATE!!! STOP THE MADNESS!!!

rockinrobin
04-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Trazey, the holiday of Shavout is coming up in about a month and a half. It is tradition (& who am I to argue with tradition) to make cheesecake in honor of it. And I WILL make a cheesecake. That's why I figured I'd take a look at your recipe. Fullfat cream cheese is one thing, but man oh man, you start talking about heavy cream - & I (sadly) must turn away.

But thanks for sharing it, I appreciate it.

BrandNewJen
04-30-2008, 03:52 PM
There is no way that 12 oz semisweet good Belgian or Swiss chocolate, 1 C heavy cream, and Two 8 oz packages cream cheese paired with a pre-made crust can be good for you!!!!! Get outta here! What's the calorie amounts for that? Or should I say, what's the SERVING size and corresponding calorie/fat count?

Trazey34
04-30-2008, 04:44 PM
yah that's one of those things you DO NOT WANT TO KNOW with regards to calories, etc.

People come for a dinner party and eat their slice and go about their lives LOL

jillybean720
04-30-2008, 04:54 PM
I know it's not much in the way of a meal or anything, but I've had people get very excited when I bring a big fruit salad to a gathering. It's something almost everyone enjoys but few people take the time to really make it. I also don't use the typical "fillers" of honeydew and canteloupe simply because I don't care for them myself. I use fresh watermelon, strawberries, pineapple, red and green grapes (I slice each grape in half--this seems to impress some people--I just do it because it's easier to stab with a fork when eating), and whatever other fruit might be on sale--blueberries, kiwi, plums, nectarines...

Trazey34
04-30-2008, 05:18 PM
I love fruit salad! even when I was eating all oinky I still would always pick a fresh fruit salad over just about anything on a buffet table - good choice!

xGurlyGrlx
04-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Yes, I agree. Fruit salads are great and I love when people bring it to a party! Especially when it has yummy fruit, like raspberries, blueberries, nectarines, and kiwi. I had a really good fruit salad a few weeks ago and the woman put mint leaves in it. :T

bigtxmomma
04-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Trazey, :rofl: @ oinky

Lyn2007
04-30-2008, 07:21 PM
LMAO at Trazey "eating all oinky." HA! Yeah that sums it up for me too :)

traci in training
05-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Ya know - toilet paper in the fridge and oinky. This thread is a good representation of our high class discussions, isn't it? Y'all crack me up!

DH plays bass guitar, stand up bass, and any other kind of bass instrument you can imagine. About every-other Saturday I have a basement full of pickers (or a backyard full of pickers if weather permits) and about six o'clock their wives/girlfriends magically appear and I feed everyone. I enjoy cooking, they enjoy eating.

As we have changed what we eat, I have changed what I cook. Can I just tell you that never one time has anyone asked why we're all on a diet? Food that is prepared well and served graciously is well received. End of discussion. I have fed them all turkey burgers, five bean chili, spaghetti squash, vegetable soup, grilled tilapia and chicken fifteen ways. They eat it all.

The only thing I do on those days that I don't normally do is make dessert. It's usually not "on plan", but that's okay because DH and I eat a small piece with dinner and the leftovers go home with someone else. We're treated, they're happy, all is well.

Also - I've probably been asked for more recipes since I've changed my cooking habits than I was before. Most of the country eats badly and lots of people are interested in eating better.

I also take fruit salad everywhere I go. Also, relish trays with a healthy dip.

kaplods
05-01-2008, 04:46 PM
I've also gotten alot more requests for recipes since cooking healthier for potlucks. Some of them are from people who have guessed or suspected that the dish was healthier, but many are shocked when I tell them it's a lower calorie dish. It's fun seeing that "lightbulb" go on in their head as they realize healthy dishes don't have to taste like cardboard.

pamatga
05-01-2008, 05:15 PM
As usual, I copied and pasted some of these ideas for future reference. I make a very "well seasoned" homemade chili. I sent a bowl to one of my DH's coworkers who is crazy about chili. The only comment he made was he liked kidney beans better. I am following SBD (and will until I expire someday) so I switched to red beans which have no sugar added to them. Believe it or not, kidney beans do have sugar! I love my chili and I could eat it every day for weeks on end (sometimes I do) and I like the idea of where you can dress it up or down depending on how "seasoned" you like it.

My "guidelines" for preparing food ( even our everyday meals) is that it should look "appealing", it should be moist and not overly done or dry, it should be colorful, it should have the right amount of seasonings so the average person would enjoy it and the "tongue" texture should be agreeable. Depending on the occasion, some foods which are more finger-friendly are preferable. Especially if you have to stand rather than sit or you are a small child.

I also take into consideration the weather. Chilis, warm crusty bread (if your food plan allows) are great on chilly days along with a hot cup of hot cocoa can be a real "warm in the tummy" good meal. Cool fruit or vegetables salads are great during the warmer summer months. Sometimes, having a "make your own sandwich" can be a great summer buffet luncheon. As we are moving into summer and doing more outdoor grilling, vegetable kabobs are a great asset to any kind of main dish. Chilled iced tea or fruit and water spritzers are nice accompaniments.

I agree with kaplod. I want to eat food that fit those criteria everyday not just special occasion and I try to do that with every meal I share with my DH. It doesn't take as much time as you think and you really feel like you also "fed your soul" as well as your belly.;)