South Beach Diet - Need some advice on Crackers I bought

Cannwarren
04-24-2008, 12:37 PM
OK so yesterday I'm in BJ's and I bought a box of Organic Stoneground Wheats (Baked Wheat and Flaxseed Crackers). They seem like something we can have but I always second guess my purchases. Need some Beach Experts here to help please please decide. THese crackers are delicious but don't want to eat what we shouldn't have. I cut and pasted a pic of the nutrition label. One thing I did love about WW's is they had a grocery guide book that really helped when food shopping. WHy can't SB have one?

PLEASE HELP!!! THank you everyone (hugs!)

ladybugnessa
04-24-2008, 12:49 PM
the bad news

ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR is just white flour...

I love those stoneground wheat thins but they are white flour and as such NOT beachy.

iammare
04-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Now you've got me wondering... What about Kashi Stoneground 7 grain crackers?

Ingredients: WHEAT FLOUR, WHOLE WHEAT, TOASTED WHOLE SESAME SEEDS, EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, CRACKED GRAIN FLOUR (RYE MEAL, WHOLE OATS, WHEAT BRAN, STONEGROUND WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, BARLEY FLAKES, DEGERMINATED YELLOW CORN MEAL, WHOLE MILLET, BROWN RICE FLOUR), KASHI SEVEN WHOLE GRAINS and SESAME® FLOUR (WHOLE: OATS, HARD RED WINTER WHEAT, RYE, LONG GRAIN BROWN RICE, TRITICALE, BARLEY, BUCKWHEAT, SESAME SEEDS), GUM ARABIC, BROWN RICE SYRUP, EVAPORATED CANE JUICE CRYSTALS, EXPELLER PRESSED CANOLA OIL, WHEAT GLUTEN, SEA SALT, MALT EXTRACT, ONION POWDER, POTASSIUM BICARBONATE, MOLASSES, NATURAL FLAVOR, WHEY.
Allergen Statement: CONTAINS WHEAT AND MILK INGREDIENTS.
Diabetic Exchange: 1 Carbohydrate, 1/2 Fat

Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: 4 crackers (28g)
Amount/Serving %Daily Value** Calories 130 Calories from Fat 45
Total Fat 5g * 8% Saturated Fat 0.5g 3% Trans Fat 0g 0% Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sodium 140mg 6% Total Carbohydrate 17g 6% Dietary Fiber 3g 12% Sugars 2g Protein 3g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 2% Iron 4%

ladybugnessa
04-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Now you've got me wondering... What about Kashi Stoneground 7 grain crackers?

Ingredients: WHEAT FLOUR, WHOLE WHEAT, TOASTED WHOLE SESAME SEEDS, EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, CRACKED GRAIN FLOUR (RYE MEAL, WHOLE OATS, WHEAT BRAN, STONEGROUND WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, BARLEY FLAKES, DEGERMINATED YELLOW CORN MEAL, WHOLE MILLET, BROWN RICE FLOUR), KASHI SEVEN WHOLE GRAINS and SESAME® FLOUR (WHOLE: OATS, HARD RED WINTER WHEAT, RYE, LONG GRAIN BROWN RICE, TRITICALE, BARLEY, BUCKWHEAT, SESAME SEEDS), GUM ARABIC, BROWN RICE SYRUP, EVAPORATED CANE JUICE CRYSTALS, EXPELLER PRESSED CANOLA OIL, WHEAT GLUTEN, SEA SALT, MALT EXTRACT, ONION POWDER, POTASSIUM BICARBONATE, MOLASSES, NATURAL FLAVOR, WHEY.
Allergen Statement: CONTAINS WHEAT AND MILK INGREDIENTS.
Diabetic Exchange: 1 Carbohydrate, 1/2 Fat

Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: 4 crackers (28g)
Amount/Serving %Daily Value** Calories 130 Calories from Fat 45
Total Fat 5g * 8% Saturated Fat 0.5g 3% Trans Fat 0g 0% Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sodium 140mg 6% Total Carbohydrate 17g 6% Dietary Fiber 3g 12% Sugars 2g Protein 3g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 2% Iron 4%

first ingredient: WHEAT FLOUR is just white flour...

iammare
04-24-2008, 01:17 PM
That's what I thought... I'm used to seeing white flour listed as "enriched", so I was hoping that I was wrong...

tdiprincess
04-24-2008, 03:52 PM
hmm.. this is interesting. I know I'm in P1.. but what are some SB friendly crackers?

Schmoodle
04-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Triscuits Reduced Fat, yum yum. But otherwise you will just have to read ingredients and make sure everything is legal.

tdiprincess
04-24-2008, 05:00 PM
I just did some googling and found some recipes for crackers. They look really easy to make. While some of them are not SB friendly, they can be fixed to be friendly... I think when I get into P2 I'll be experimenting with crackers... I'll post the yummy recipes and the ones I fix too!! I'm excited... Just a week and 3 days to go!!!

ladybugnessa
04-24-2008, 10:34 PM
akmak crackers are good or triscuit thin crisps... but i rarely eat either

iammare
04-24-2008, 10:54 PM
I was just looking for something different... something to have with my salads. I used to have a piece of garlic Texas Toast, but since I can't do that... I miss the bread with the greens.

tdiprincess
04-25-2008, 12:54 AM
You could find a recipe to make cracker and even croutons that are SB friendly. Most of the recipes I saw are very easy and they don't entail yeast stuff. Although, you could take some ww bread, cut it up into small chunks and bake that until its golden browned and use that as croutons.. You could probably dust them with some garlic and such to give it whatever flavors you'd like...

ladybugnessa
04-25-2008, 06:59 AM
i take trader joe's whole wheat pizza dough and make rolls that i cover with smart balance melted with garlic and italian spices.....

femmecreole
04-25-2008, 07:00 AM
If you can find "Mary's Gone" crackers at your local organic (or grocery) store, they are really good.

Marathon Mom
04-25-2008, 11:15 AM
You can eat crackers on Phase 1?

(I didn't get the memo!)

ladybugnessa
04-25-2008, 11:22 AM
You can eat crackers on Phase 1?

(I didn't get the memo!)

nope and i don't recommend eating them often in phase 2 either...

Marathon Mom
04-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Nessa, Whew.. thank you for setting me straight... I wasn't sure how i was going to categorize a triscuit as a veg, protein or fat... :)

ladybugnessa
04-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Nessa, Whew.. thank you for setting me straight... I wasn't sure how i was going to categorize a triscuit as a veg, protein or fat... :)

we start adding our starches back in phase 2.. i recommend adding a fruit first and then the following week a grain/starch such as oatmeal or sweet potato or quiona.

Schmoodle
04-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Why not often Nessa? I love my triscuits reduced fat with LCLC or peanut butter!

ladybugnessa
04-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Why not often Nessa? I love my triscuits reduced fat with LCLC or peanut butter!

couple of reasons.

1. they CAN stall weight loss
2. they CAN cause cravings
3. they CAN be easily OVER indulged in

but everyone is different...

tdiprincess
04-25-2008, 12:12 PM
That is very true. Crackers do need controlling!! Especially when theres cheese, pepperoni involved, no one realizes how much we've eaten.... Its not good... I think I'll make them a few weeks after I've been on P2. Thanks for the tip nessa

Schmoodle
04-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Ah, interesting...
I haven't had a problem with overindulging. I take out 7 crackers (1 serving) and put the box away. I haven't noticed that they cause me any cravings either. As to stalling, I'll have to pay closer attention. I have had some stalls, so I'll have to watch and see if there is any correlation. Hope not, because I love 'em. And I am so used to not using grains much, if I don't eat oatmeal for breakfast, sometimes I forget to eat grains during the rest of the day, so having a cracker snack is one way to get it in.

tdiprincess
04-25-2008, 12:55 PM
that's true.. I think everybody's different as to what works and what doesn't work ya know? I'll have to try it and see what happens. Either way, I'm only in day 5 of P1... I'm doing well, but am already planning for P2...LOL..

tomandkara
04-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Schmoo, I think everyone's different. I've personally realized that I have issues with wheat (whole or otherwise) so I avoid it, which eliminates most crackers anyway. Actually, I just want to be like Nessa 'cuz she's so cool. :D

Kara

Schmoodle
04-25-2008, 01:53 PM
I remember the second week of P1 when I was dreaming of oatmeal. :D

ladybugnessa
04-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Schmoo, I think everyone's different. I've personally realized that I have issues with wheat (whole or otherwise) so I avoid it, which eliminates most crackers anyway. Actually, I just want to be like Nessa 'cuz she's so cool. :D

Kara

:joker:

ha Kara you crack me up.
at the board i run they just started with everyone wants to be like me cause it's just like high school and i'm the cool girl. TOOK ME 30 YEARS to be the cool girl!

i don't quite know what to do with it. it's a weird feeling.... like Sally Fields "you like me you really like me?!?!?!?!?!!?" :D

tomandkara
04-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Hey, but now you've got the rest of your life to revel in it! High school is only four years long...

By the way, we had sprussel brouts for dinner tonight. They were SO good! :T

Kara

pamatga
04-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Schmoodle, have you tried the new flavored Triscuits? If you like the plain you have to try to flavored. Amazing! The roasted tomato is like eating mini pizzas! The garden herb is great too.

I loved Triscuits from the past but stopped having crackers altogether a couple of years ago because of the "trans fat" info that came out then. When I heard that you could have Triscuits on SBD I was scared to return to crackers but now I buy them about once a month.

I do the same thing. I count out one serving size, write it in my food diary and then enjoy it. I like it along with a cup of vegetable bouillon broth, my ever present V-8 juice and a piece of cheese. It makes a great lunch or snack.

I haven't had any problems with either cravings, eating more than the serving size or stalled weight.

Schmoodle
04-26-2008, 09:50 AM
I didn't think there were any trans-fats in triscuits, but I just checked the box. The ingredients in triscuits are whole wheat, soybean oil, salt, mono, diglycerides.:(
Oh well, I have tried the flavored ones and they are great, but I don't think they come in reduced fat, which I usually get for me. I don't eat a lot of them though, maybe a couple of times/week. A box usually lasts me a month unless Dh gets into it.

ladybugnessa
04-26-2008, 10:18 AM
schmoo why the sad face... trisuits are FINE... the flavored ones ya gotta watch. personally I prefer the thin crisps.... 15 are a serving.

SkinnyDogMom
04-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Crackers are like nuts to me...I can't consistently eat just a serving if I have them at home. So, I don't buy any. But, I can eat them if I am at a party or at work. At home, the box of crackers or bag of nuts just keeps calling my name....