Old 04-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #1  
~One Day At A Time~

S/C/G: 301.2/Ticker/250

Height: 5 6"

Question Walknig my Dog

First off...Good Morning .

My dog's name is Dahlia, and she's going to be 3 years old Memorial Day. I have a little dilema with her and I was hoping for some advice. We have a few parks by us that are huge, and have nature walking trails. I tried to take Dahlia for a walk there last year but she just gets too excited! She sees all of the people, the other dogs, the kids and she flips out. She starts crying, jumping, and it gets hard to control her on the leash. I know she's still a baby (somewhat) and she just probably just wants to play, but its embarassing...LOL! It's also a pain because whats supposed to be a nice "walk in the park" turns out to be a stressful time for her and for me. I love her with all my heart though....Any advice or suggestions? PLEASE
ThisTimeIsDifferent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 262/253/155

Height: 5'8"

My Lab/Hound just turned two and let me tell you she is a wild one!! I was never able to control her on a leash. She was walking me. I ended up buying a harness for her to go around her chest and one of those leashes that extend. I put the harness on her and the new leash. I didn't let her have any length on it though. She had just enough to walk right beside me, after a while I'd give her a little bit of length and she finally learned not to jump and pull. Neither one of us walks the other one, we walk with each other now.
rasyealn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #3  
~One Day At A Time~

S/C/G: 301.2/Ticker/250

Height: 5 6"

I have the harness and extendable leash. She acts crazy when she sees othe dogs and people...especially other dogs
ThisTimeIsDifferent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I walk my dog and he doesn't like other dogs, wants to pick a fight. I solve this by walking where it is not likely to meet other dogs.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Gentle leaders work great (a child could stop my 150lb mastiff when she's wearing it). I also would recommend a basic obedience class, you should be able to find one for around $100. Trust me you and your dog will think it's worth it.
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

I highly recommend a gentle leader....(get the one by premier)...but make sure you learn how to adjust them properly. Or the other thing i like is another product by premier called the easy walk harness. My dog likes to pull and it uses her own wt to throw her off balance. You may be better off with the gentle leader since she also jumps..it is a head harness that takes control of her like a halter on a horse.

http://www.premier.com/View.aspx?pag...er/description

http://www.premier.com/View.aspx?pag...lk/description

also, training classes are always important...find a good one in your area. And remember patience will pay off
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #7  
Kathleen

S/C/G: 308/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4-1/2"

Watch the Dog Whisperer on the Natl. Geographic Channel. He deals with that a lot. Put the leash high up on the dog's neck and keep him next to you. Then tug on it to distract him as soon as he starts making eye contact with another dog. I have a little Cavalier King Charles Spaniel but he doesn't give me any problems, thank goodness. A very gentle little guy.
krosmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:03 PM   #8  
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

I also say try the Gentle Leader. I have a 3 year old lab (see my avatar) and she is still a puppy (and she seems like she might always be). She is very hard to walk on a leash and only my fiance can control her. We got the Gentle Leader a year ago, and she has been great on it. She still gets excited when she sees other people or dogs, but she is much much easier to control with the gentle leader. Much more pleasant to walk her. I am able to walk her and control her now.
NoVaVTFan is offline   Reply With Quote