Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-24-2008, 01:57 AM   #1  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Default Changing my goals...on two levels

I had set my goal weight as 175 after looking at the chart for my age, height and being a woman but I had a discussion today with my regular Dr. about the fact that my extensive muscle mass (comparable to a man's) wasn't concidered. He was concerned that my goal weight was too low. I agreed to put it 10lbs heavier saying that if I get there and want to lose more, I will. But, of course, it means I am that much closer to reaching my goal weight now.

I set another goal for myself...I wanted to climb to the top of the Rock Wall at the YMCA. Though I tried this last weekend, I only got up 3.5 feet. Mostly because I didn't know HOW to climb properly. Even the muscle mass of a man wasn't going to get me to the top.

I'm not going to give up, I'm learning how to climb and promised myself that I will work towards getting to the top!

One goal is met though, I got into the climbing harness! AND I found that the guys holding the other end of the rope are trust worthy and can hold my weight as I dangle 3+ feet in the air...Good to know!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 04-24-2008 at 12:49 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

LOOK AT YOU!!!!! and i promise - you WILL climb that wall - good heavens, you've already started! one step at a time, and it looks to me as if you've taken MANY steps!!!!

you're my hero today, Angela!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #3  

Yes- good for you girl!! that is awesome- you will definitely be at the top of that wall soon!

I love your goals Thanks for sharing!

Bertie
fitnfunbabe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 299/187.8/150

Height: 5'8"

Default muscle mass

How do you determine how much muscle mass you actually have? Man or woman?
gabbnteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #5  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbnteach View Post
How do you determine how much muscle mass you actually have? Man or woman?
Test I did with a fitness trainer...There is a electronic machine version, a water submersion version and a "pinch" version. It tells you the % of fat and ratio of fat to "Lean Mass." (muscle, and I assume bone, skin, etc.)

I have 149lbs of Lean Mass which I understand is pretty good for a man my height. And a good reason to raise my goal weight to 185. That would bring me to around 25% fat...good for my age.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 04-25-2008 at 12:12 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #6  
my girls

S/C/G: 379/341/180

Height: 5'7

congrats angela, when was your surgery, you are dropping it so fast!
mistymed is offline   Reply With Quote