South Beach Diet - Hungry, What do I do??

View Full Version : Hungry, What do I do??

tdiprincess
04-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Okay.. so I'm really hungry, but is 11:30pm... I've been finding that since I've started SB I've been really hungry. We started it a few weeks ago, but didn't succeed, then grandma died and we took a break. We just started it again yesterday. However, both times I find myself super hungry. I'll eat a meal, I'll be full for about 1 hour and then I'll be hungry. I'll generally have my snack, btw breakfast and lunch and then a small dessert after dinner. But I still find myself really hungry!!! I feel like I haven't eaten all day, hungry!!
Any suggestions, or anything I can do??

WebRover
04-23-2008, 03:53 AM
Are you eating enough protein? The vegetables are bulky and filling in the short term. It's the protein: lean meats, low fat cheeses and beans that stay with you for a couple hours til the next meal or snack.

If it's 11:30, how long has it been seen your last meal or snack? If you ate last at 6, your body may be overdue for something.

femmecreole
04-23-2008, 05:49 AM
Tell us exactly what you ate yesterday and what time you ate it and that should help.

Like Webrover said, make sure you are getting enough protein along with those vegs. I found that a hard boiled egg would help at first if I was hungry (or thought I was hungry) at night. Keep beans in the fridge....or a can of black beans handy and heat up a small bowl. Or make a little salad with turkey or some other kind of protein in it if the hungrys hit you at night.

Schmoodle
04-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Something hot sometimes helps me, esp. if it has protein too, so I'll make a mug of NSA hot chocolate with skim milk, and that way I don't feel like I'm going to bed with much in my stomach.

ladybugnessa
04-23-2008, 08:15 AM
we have to see what you are eating to figure out what's going on.

but if you are hungry EAT!

mary83
04-23-2008, 08:18 AM
I agree with above...if you are hungry, eat! However, sometimes late at night I get "head hunger," probably because I'm tired. I mug of herbal tea does the trick for me...takes away my "head hunger" and helps me relax. But again, if you are trily hungry, the whole point of SBD is to eat something :).

tdiprincess
04-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Let's see:
Yesterday: Breakfast: 830am-2 scrambled eggs and cut up veggies (about 1c)
and iced tea that I made
snack: 1130ish: LF cheese stick
lunch: 2ish lettuce wraps with deli meat (I had 2 with 2 thin pieces of turkey each) and a large salad with some cut up turkey deli meat over it.
Snack: a bit of cottage cheese and a few veggie wedges.
dinner:530ish made the taco bake... had a medium serving, larger salad and then a few more bites of the taco bake
Dessert: 10ish: sf chocolate pudding w/ sf cool whip.
And then before bed DH was hungry also, he grabbed a glass of milk and I took some sips off that (about 1/2c) and that was at midnight...

today: 2 scrambled eggs w/cheese in it and lots of cut up veggies at 1030ish..

ladybugnessa
04-23-2008, 11:58 AM
ok so you were hungry after the pudding? I'd dump the pudding..... have something else for your snack...

are you drinking enough water... and are you sure you were HUNGRY and not just thirsty?

are you getting your good fats?

femmecreole
04-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Nessa, I was thinking the same thing...the pudding may have triggered the hungries a little later on. So..tonight try ditching the pudding...maybe try something more "vegetably" or "proteiny" and see if that does the trick. Maybe some pistachios if you want something more snacky or the boiled egg trick that worked for me. This whole thing is trial and error to see how your body "reacts" to foods and what time it does etc.

GONNABE165
04-23-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm with Nessa on th water thing are you getting in your glasses of water

tdiprincess
04-23-2008, 01:28 PM
yeah, I do a 33 ounce thing of seltzer water and then refill it and do a flavored water everyday. I've been getting my water...
I was thinking about ditching the pudding...but its soo good, I wanted something desserty and not the ricotta cheese mixture... I will ditch it though.

ladybugnessa
04-23-2008, 01:29 PM
if you don't want to ditch it, eat it with something that will slow the absorbtion rate like cheese or peanut butter...

CyndiM
04-23-2008, 01:57 PM
How about greek yogurt w/sliced almonds, cocoa powder, a little cinnamon and some approved sweetener? Desserty and filling without going off plan.

tdiprincess
04-23-2008, 02:20 PM
hmm... i will have to try this. I also saw the post for the cheese "crackers" baking the slices of cheese.. those seem like a good snacky thing...
anyhow.. I just ate lunch about 20mins ago. I'm hungry feeling already. I had a pretty big serving of the taco bake leftovers and lots of veggies dipped in lf balsamic vinegarette.. I know I can have a snack...but I'm worried about eating the snack too soon. Can I eat a snack now and then one before dinner?

ladybugnessa
04-23-2008, 02:27 PM
if you are HUNGRY yes... but if you ate a big salad with protein and an appropriate fat and are hungry 20 minutes later, then the hunger is in your head..... try a cup of hot tea... that works for me.

Ruthxxx
04-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Dairy will help. Drink a glass of milk or have a yogurt.

tdiprincess
04-23-2008, 02:36 PM
okie.. will try... I'm having the afternoon snack. I'm eating a hard boiled egg. I'll make some tea... Thanks guys for the help :)

SkinnyDogMom
04-23-2008, 03:22 PM
I have days when I can't get the hunger to go away no matter what. Usually I find these associated with my TOM coming in a few days, sometimes even a week before.
I have found during those times, by much trial and error and by much advice from all the great chicks here, what seems to be helping is to not eat a full meal. Try to eat the same amounts of food I normally would, but spread it out over the day into lots of snacks.
Grazing all day long helps to temper the hunger. I can say that it doesn't go away completely but it makes it tolerable.
This seems to happen to me for 2-4 days each month.
You'll find your groove. Hang in there!
Great advice from all the ladies!
Karla

tdiprincess
04-23-2008, 08:35 PM
thanks for the ideas. I had TOM last week. I ate tonight at about 530-6. I'm hungry now. I have a little salad leftover. Maybe ill munchsome of that... Thanks again!! :)

WebRover
04-23-2008, 10:33 PM
A lot of your veggies seem to be salads. If these salads are mostly lettuce, especially if it's iceberg, they can be improved. Try to make at least 50% of the volume of your salad raw veggies or chilled cooked veggies. Add olives, a little cheese or a few nuts. Go for lettuces that are dark green and red. Add raw spinach. Try some raw veggies with your morning string cheese snack. You can add a side vegetable to a meal along with your salad.

Also, if you've been on SB a couple of weeks, it's time to move into Phase 2. You could add in a serving of whole grains or a piece of fruit for a week and see how you do.

OK - I just ran your day's food into FitDay. It's not going to be exact, because I don't know what veggies you had, how large your salads were, etc., but you may be hungry because you aren't eating enough calories. I got 934 calories. You shouldn't let your calories go below 1200 and depending on your current weight may want to be at a higher level. So you're hungry because you're aren't eating enough. It broke down to 35% fat (15% Saturated), 24% carbs, and 42% protein. Based on that, I'd recommend more complex carbs - veggies, whole grains, & beans. You may want to double check the numbers & percentages by entering a couple days of your actuals as you'll have the correct measurements.

Best wishes.

tdiprincess
04-24-2008, 12:05 AM
I checked it out there, I do get enough calories. I think I just needed to add a little bit more bulk to my snacks. My meals are enough, I generally do spinach and arugala mix only for salads, along with some cabbage and then lots of veggies. I gave myself a larger protein portion for lunch, which helped. For snack in between lunch and dinner I had a hard boiled egg. That kept me good. And then I didn't ditch the pudding, but I had it with a glass of milk.
I just restarted P1 on Monday. There had been a week break from the first try...LOL...

Barb0522
04-24-2008, 10:28 AM
pudding isn't allowed on phase 1.

I know salads don't fill me up no matter what I put in them. I've got some yummy asparagas to fix today.

tdiprincess
04-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Why is pudding not allowed? Its SF, the only thing added is milk...which is allowed. What's wrong with it? I'd like to know so that I can take it out. I don't want to be wrecking the diet without knowing it...LOL. let me know, thanks! :)

Barb0522
04-24-2008, 11:16 AM
It's the starches in the pudding. You can have it in phase 2.

tdiprincess
04-24-2008, 12:37 PM
oh ok... thanks for explaining.. I'll ditch it then... Thanks!

pamatga
04-26-2008, 06:09 AM
I think the biggest mistake I see people do is not eat enough lean protein. Remember this is one food group you can have unlimited amounts. Is this a girl thing? I am a woman but I have always gravitated towards guy type foods. One of the main reasons why I decided to go with SBD is he listed sirloin steak. My alltime favorite food. I have always said that if I were on a desserted island as long as I could have steak and fruit, I would survive. Of course, where I would get a good steak is a mystery but hey it is a fantasy, right?

This is what I do and it works every time when I am hungry: I have a small glass of V-8 along with a stick of reduced fat string cheese. That is 100 calories. Beats out those 100 calories cookies or cracker snacks every time!

Lean protein is the key to making this diet work, IMO. Forget the "fluff". I abandoned the puddings and "fluff" stuff months ago. I didn't eat pudding or Jello before I began this diet so why pick it up? I want food that I can chew and you just can't chew pudding.

I don't know why everyone is so "reluctant" (afraid?) to eat more lean protein. I feel like I am the only one who is eating that way. And, someone (who was so wise I feel) on this website shared a couple of months ago about having trouble losing weight so she went to a nutritionist (or some "expert") about her metabolism. She was told to increase her protein. I think she gave a formula for how much protein to have per body weight. God bless that woman who shared that. I want you to know I read your post. I copied it, did some checking on my own and uped my protein after that.

Guess what? I am losing a steady 1-2 lbs a week. My hair is finally coming in thicker and my skin looks so much better.

Eat lean protein. Eat your veggies. Cut back on fruits and grains. Avoid white sugar or flour. Ditch the hidden and added sugars. That's all you need to do. IMO

tdiprincess
04-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks.. I think I eat enough protein though.. I've been adding cheese and dairy to my snacks and veggies and that seems to be helping. Not only to increase my protein in take but to reduce my hunger. I haven't weighed myself for the week yet, but I can tell that I've lost at least a few pounds... I weigh in once a week, on Mondays (terrible if I've had a bad weekend...) I was thinking about switching to Fridays (after a good weekday week and before the weekend can ruin me...)
:)