Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #1  

Default I'm going to call my doctor today

I'm calling my GP today to start the process. I'm going to ask him to refer me to the bariatric surgery center at the University of Iowa. A little background: I'm 50 years old. I've been fat all my life. I weigh 322 pounds. I've yo-yo dieted all my life, bouncing between 280 and 340 pounds for the last 15 years. I have several co- morbidities: sleep apnea, asthma, diabetes, hypertension. My weight is the only thing in life that I'm a complete failure at.

I've been considering bariatric surgery off and on for the last 22 years, but my husband has been against the idea due to the risks associated with the surgery. His ex had the surgery in the 70's and although it was successful, she had a rough go of it for a while.

He is finally on board . He watched the 60 minute segment on Sunday and says he thinks the benefits outweigh the risks, now and likes the fact that it can be done laproscopically. This isn't something I can do without his support, so you can imagine how happy I was when I came home Sunday night and he started telling me about what he'd seen on TV.

I've checked and my insurance will pay for Morbid Obesity Surgery (90% after I've met my deductible) with pre-approval if "you have a BMI of at least 40 (no problem there), you have failed to achieve and sustain weight loss with supervised dietary and conservative treatment over the years, and you are motivated to follow the necessary post-operative plan and are an acceptable operative risk. I'm pretty sure I will qualify.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I'm really nervous as well as being excited. Were any of you as old as I when you had the surgery? Is there much pain involved? I have so many questions. Thanks for listening.

Karla
Tippurr 2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hi, Karla, and to this terrific website. I see you zoned in on exactly the right part of the Forum to make your introduction. The chickies in here can answer your questions and will give you tremendous support.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

LOL!!!!!!! Welcome aboard, Karla! and that laugh is because of your YOUTH!!!! i'm now 54 - had the surgery in 2002, which means i was, ummm, 48. we have a couple of women who are older than I am right now who recently had the surgery.

you'll be fine - honest! but - and it's a BIG ONE - ya gotta do all your homework, ask all the questions you need to - and then ask some more. the biggest issue you face right now is asking yourself the hard questions: can i control my eating NOW? what will happen to me after the surgery when i can no longer munch my day away?

and trust me, darlin - we've ALL been there - and we understand. soooo, bring on the questions!!!!

<hi ruth!!! will try to write you a note later - i have no internet connection at home at the moment>
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Hey you newbies!!

I was 56 y/o going on 90!!! 90 was my physical age!!! Read as much as you can, ask as much as you can, get a good doctor who has experience and talk with people who have had it. It is no walk in the park, but for me I can walk in the park now and that is a major miracle. Just remember it is a life time commitment; but you will have a life!! Talk with a GOOD nutritionist!!!

Last edited by nanj; 04-22-2008 at 09:36 PM.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:29 AM   #5  

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and advice. I have read a lot and plan to read even more about GBP. Can anyone suggest some good web sites?

The doctor's visit went well. He thinks this is a good idea. I wonder why he has never suggested it himself? I am now waiting for a packet from U of I. The nurse tells me that when I've sent the packet back, the clinic will contact me about an appointment.

The U of I clinic is a "Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence for having a well-integrated program that helps promote patient safety and provides cross-functional team support to bariatric surgery patients." (I just copied that from their web site.) I hope that will make it easier for Wellmark to approve the surgery.

I'm not sure what kind of questions to ask. I hope that will become more clear to me as I continue to research.

I feel like I'm starting a new journey. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. I have only told one friend, other than my hubby, about what I'm planning to do. I don't want to say anything until it's a sure thing. It's good to be able to come here and share. Thanks.

Karla
Old 04-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

OK KArla - you KNOW i had to go check out UI's website - you're going to see Dr Isaac Samuel, aren't you??? <please nod your head!!!!> there are TWO bariatric surgeons there - and from the looks of their credentials, you'd be fine with either Samuel or Jamal, but my vote is with Samuel - more experience. he's the one who guided the department to the 'center of excellence' designation.

AND since Samuel got a WELLMARK award for excellence in bariatric surgery, it sounds like he knows the drill for your insurance company. keep us posted!!! and read over the STUFF - and come back and ask questions.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:17 AM   #7  

JIFFYPOP - Can I request Dr. Samuel or will I just be assigned a doctor? I'm not sure how this works. I have family and friends who have gone to various U of I clinics, but I wasn't there when appointments were made, so this whole procedure is new to me.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

I'd like to think you could request the doc, but you'll have to do what your insurance company wants.