General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #1  
Addicted to potato salad!

Default Michigan Chicks!!

So, now we MAY be moving to Michigan. My husband is a Field Service Technician and he has, pretty much, the total pick of the whole state in which to live in. Can anyone recommend an area/town/community? I'm looking for a GREAT school system, first and foremost.

Also, we aren't inner city people, nor are we rich snobs. We are looking, primarily, for an affordable, friendly suburb. Again, with great schools.

I've resigned myself to the fact that we may have to become Detroit Red Wings fans...but we'll always be Sabres fans deep down.

Any suggestions would be GREAT!!

Thanks!!
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #2  

I'm in Novi

Michigan is a big state and there is a lot of variety. There are lots of great schools

I like

Farmington Hills/Novi
West Bloomfield
South Lyon

Ann Arbor

Troy

Clinton Township Sterling Heights

There are some average sized homes in these areas and a few nicer areas.. and there are a few cities like Franklin where some wealthy people live

Any particular companies you are looking at? I would recommend living somewhere that is less than an hour from where your husband will be working.

I am not familiar with the west side of the state like Traverse City.
MissGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #3  

Thanks! Well, he's already got the job, but he's supposed to be working in upstate New York. They keep putting him in other places, though, like Maine a few weeks ago and now he's been in Michigan all last week and this week and the manager out there said, "I'd do just about anything to have you move out here!" So far he's really liked Rochester Hills, but all I could find for sale there were mostly condos and townhouses...but we have a non-negotiable Old English Sheepdog that is as important for us to be with us as one of our children.

I saw on the internet Jenison, MI which, I think was outside of Grand Rapids. We pretty much have our choice of where to live because he'll be traveling all over the state for his job.

I'm not positive the move is going to happen, but if it is, I just want to be able to look properties and schools on the internet to get an idea of where is good, etc.

I was looking at Sterling Heights and that seems very nice, as well.

Keep the ideas coming!!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:30 AM   #4  

Well the real estate market is bad here which is good for you because there are many houses for sale.. but good luck on your decision..rochester hills is a pretty broad area so look at the cities surrounding it.. plus you could drive to it pretty easy from several other cities like sterling heights and troy
Old 04-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #5  

I also like the idea of Rochester Hills because I grew up in Rochester, NY and it would make me feel like home. I also liked the high school that said Rochester High on the front. The inner kid in me would really love that because Rochester City Schools in NY are dreadful, but that school looks so beautiful.

Why does Sterling Heights sound so familiar? Is that the name of the town where Nancy Drew is from?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #6  

Also....my husband bought a brand new Sea Ray in 2004, so a place close to boating would be on his list of must-haves. I know there are tons of lakes, so this shouldn't be TOO tall of an order...
Old 04-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #7  

There are definitely lots of places to take a boat out.

Last edited by MissGiggles; 04-22-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #8  

Height: 5' 7"

For the kind of lifestyle you're talking about, consider going west - Brighton, South Lyon are the areas you want.

They are also close to Ann Arbor, which is where we hang out - real, live college town, if you like that sort of thing.
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #9  
On my way back to goal!

S/C/G: 218/201.5/140

Height: 5' 2"

I live in Zeeland, Michigan - very close to Lake Michigan! Access via several county and township parks in Holland, which is only a few minutes drive from Zeeland. We are about 10 miles from Grand Rapids area. There are a lot of nice mid-price homes for sale in the area, and Zeeland Public Schools are PHENOMENAL!
MariSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #10  

Waterford might be an idea as well. Lots of lakes there.

I live in Novi which is 30 minutes from Warren, Detroit, and Ann Arbor depending on which direction you go. South Lyon and Brighton are a few minutes away. Wixom is nice too. Close to a few state parks and Kensington Metropark .. you could bike, run and take the boat out on the lakes in that area.

Last edited by MissGiggles; 04-22-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:26 PM   #11  

Can you guys give me any opinions on Anchor Bay/New Baltimore/Chesterfield Twp? The school there says it is in the top 100 schools in the country for music education! And it looks like a really awesome marching band!!

What do you guys know of this area?
Old 04-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #12  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

What will be his territory? Will he be driving or flying while traveling? Do you need to be near an airport? How often will he need to travel?

I ask because MI is a HUGE state. If his territory includes the Upper Pennisula - you might want to consider someplace further north. The west side of the UP is an 11 hour drive from the Detroit area. Even the northern portion of the LP (Lower Pennisula) is 4-6 hours away. Maybe someplace more centrally located would be worth considering.

We love living in northern MI. If it is music education, Traverse City is a good choice. With Interlochen so close, it could be a good transition if you so desired.

Rockford is another good school with a good music program.

Have you checked out Schoolmatters.com? You can find out about communities and school systems for areas you are considering.

Last edited by CountingDown; 04-27-2008 at 03:29 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:12 AM   #13  

Okay...so now the prospective boss suggested she needs someone in the Detroit/Toledo area, so I started looking south of Detroit and found Wyandotte, Trenton and Southgate as prospective ideas...any thoughts on these areas?