South Beach Diet - Tuesday "Earth Day" Chat

View Full Version : Tuesday "Earth Day" Chat

cottagebythesea
04-22-2008, 05:56 AM
Morning, Chickies! I was tempted to take my coffee out on the patio, but it's still a tad cool out there. I'll enjoy a second cup outside once I get back from Curves.

It's shaping up to be a gorgeous day, perfect for Earth Day activities. :)

femmecreole
04-22-2008, 06:10 AM
Morning Cottage and Happy Earth Day!!!

Well, I guess I kinda contributed by going out in the swamp yesterday with a friend. He planted cordgrass to stop wetland erosion out there and I just took pictures (http://www.kodakgallery.com/femmecreole/main/april_21?) and got burned and muddy. It was great. so quiet out there. Like another world.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Ruthxxx
04-22-2008, 06:15 AM
Yes, it's cool out there but the sunrise is happening and the robins are singing madly. Happy Earth Day!

I'm hoping to spend the day working outside - remembering the SPF30 - and will figure out something to BBQ tonight. The only sad note is that I need to help my neighbour bury her dog who will be put to sleep this morning. She has had to bury three other dogs in the time I've has Hershey who is ten.

I might get a call to pick up my compression stocking - I kind of hope not as I don't plan to use my car on this special day.

How does the Earth look from where you live? It's warm, green and flowery here.

jandaman
04-22-2008, 06:22 AM
:wave: mornin cottage, ruth and cat!

glad ur days r starting w/plenty o'sunshine. gaea has decided to grant us yet more drizzly, cloudy weather. *sigh*

off to school, hope everyone else's tuesday is titillating ;)

CyndiM
04-22-2008, 06:33 AM
Good morning chicks :coffee2:

It's going to be another lovely day here today. I'm getting ready to head out for a walk soon. My day is upside down because I have a meeting tonight. Our local Master Gardener group is holding an advisory meeting to decide what we want to do this summer (meetings, trainings, etc). I haven't seen most of the gardening folks since last fall so that will be fun.

Linda - have fun at Curves

Cat - lovely pictures! They make me want to visit LA even more. My Dad went to college near NOLA years ago, living with my aunt and uncle. My aunt was from one of the "old families" and he has great stories. Nice birds too ;)

Ruth - It is green and sunny here too :) And we are reacting as only those in winter climates do - with complete abandon - shorts, sandals, finding millions of excuses to leave the office. My new BBQ recommendation - fennel bulbs. I sliced one up and sprayed olive oil on it then threw it on the grill. It was yummy!

Have a good green day!

Ruthxxx
04-22-2008, 06:38 AM
Cyndi, I have a fennel bulb and will do that tonight - maybe with pork tenderloin! Thanks for the suggestion.

femmecreole
04-22-2008, 06:38 AM
Cyndi, where did he go to school? I'm about 45 minutes from N.O., so I'm wondering if it was here! Actually the project I went along with yesterday afternoon is through the Biology dept of the university here. It's a marsh restoration project. My husband also works at the university.

CyndiM
04-22-2008, 06:40 AM
Cat - It was part of the state university system there. He played basketball (I did not inherit any of his former athleticism!) for a couple of years. We no longer have family there. After my uncle died my aunt remarried and moved to Florida with my cousins.

tkglenn
04-22-2008, 07:02 AM
good morning everyone.

cottage-have a good time at curves.
cat-those are some cool pictures.
ruth-that is so sad about your neighbors dog. We have 3 and we're afraid to even think of losing any one of them.
jan-have a good day at school.
cyndie-I wish I could go out for a walk but everytime I go out, one of my kids get sick.

me-nothing much. Just really tired. Kristopher woke up early again. I woke up to get Leo's lunch ready for work and kris woke up at the same time to be fed. He usually won't wake up till 8. Fed him and he's just not tired. I wanna go back to sleep. Got a busy day today. The doctor called yesterday about kris and he did have pneumonia. Jaisen (DS2) always gets pneumonia. About a year ago he got it so bad that he couldn't even get up to use the bathroom so he ended peeing anywhere he was laying down.

Everyone-have a wonderful day!

ladybugnessa
04-22-2008, 08:04 AM
and a cool gray Earth Day it is.

me: scale was 221.4 this morning and that was after a very salty dinner so I guess i'm now between 220 and 225... who'd have thought it. just another working day for me....

cottagebythesea enjoy that second cup and Curves... it's spring the days are never warm enough yet for me. we just got a new coffee pot and the coffee is piping hot... loving it.

femmecreole/Cat sadly i can't see your pictures from work... i'll try at home... have a great day

Ruth happy earth day... i'm sorry about the dog... does your neighbor like big dogs or boxers... bagel is 8 and going down hill fast i might grill chicken tonite.... brian might get his compression stockings next week. right now i'm still doing ace wraps for him but it appears to be helping!

jandaman have a great day at school

CyndiM happy earth day... i'm so not a gardener. you are lucky to like it. my yard stinks.

tkglenn I hope you get some rest... my older son used to get pneumonia he has asthma.... it was much worse when he was younger..

Schmoodle
04-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Good morning chicks and happy earth day and happy real 93rd birthday to my grandmother!
Yesterday was such a long day, the heavy rains made traffic terrible, and it took me 3 hours to get to work (90 miles). It wasn't any better coming home, but my meetings went well and I worked in a stop at Trader Joe's and the bank. After dinner, I stayed conscious long enough to help with homework and then crashed. I am still a little tired this morning, but I've got a pretty easy day ahead to recover.
I have Stevia in my coffee this morning (my TJ's finally has Stevia and agave nectar in stock, hooray! But I couldn't find my edamame, 100 calorie dark chocolate bars, or ww tortillas, boo!). It's a very weird taste, I don't think I like it much. Guess I'll just use it up in baking.

Cat, you got some great shots! I especially love the ones of the flowers and the crab traps. Now, tell me, what is the difference between a swamp and a bayou?
Jan, I love ancient Greek gods and goddesses! We are starting cloudy and drizzly too, but supposed to have a couple of fine days ahead of us.
Oh Cindy, I love all things anisette! What a great idea, I have never grilled fennel, I will definitely try that... I love it with fish.
poor tk, hope you get some rest and the kids are all healthy soon! I'm sure you're ready for summer...
Good morning Nessa and cottage. Hope you both have a great day at work!

GONNABE165
04-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Good morning!

Cottage I hope you had a great workout

Cat your pics are beautiful

Ruth a day outside would be great. Sorry to hear about your neighbors dog - that saddens me the same as loosing a child especiallu when some dogs are just like our children

Janda if I could I would send you some sun

Enjoy your walk Cyndi

Hi tk

Nessa you are doing so well - keep up the great work

Schmoodle happy birthday to your grandmother. Hope today is better for ya

Today for me is a lunch time workout and then bowling after work so I will pretty much be non stop til 10pm tonight.

Kim_Star060404
04-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Morning everyone! Quick check-in for me. The weekend was great with my sisters and the Spurs winning the most awesome game I've seen in a while. Work is crazy, crazy, crazy. It's just that time of year when my posts are short and sweet! ;) Hope everyone has a great day and I'm hoping to be able to catch up with ya'll soon!

~Kim

femmecreole
04-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Schmoodle...a bayou is a body of water like a little river and swamp is kind of the "gushy stuff" (kinda land, but gushy like flooded land) around it. Actually where I was yesterday was marsh...wetlands. It's where the French first sailed up when they "discovered" Louisiana.

iammare
04-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Good morning all. Day 1 of the re-start down, and with the exception of the headache I'm doing well. I didn't get in my full Gal. of water yesterday - how do you gals do it? I was only able to drink about 3L. I just couldn't stand the thought of taking another sip of anything!

Good luck to all, have a Great Day!!! Time to get to do some real work :(

hmacneil6
04-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Morning Ladies - Happy Earth Day Tuesday!

Cottage - Enjoy your time at Curves!

Cat - Love your pics. I look forward to going through all of them when I need a break at work and can't get away. Thanks for sharing.

Ruth - Sorry about your friend's dog. I can't imagine loosing my pups right now. You're a good friend to help her through that.

Janda - Enjoy your day at school.

Cyndi - Thanks for the rec on the fennel. I look forward to getting the grill out soon and throwing some on.

tk - Hope your son feels better soon.

Nessa - Good job, keep it up!

Schmoodle - I can't imagine being on the road for that long in order to get to work. I think I'd pull out my hair!!!! Way to stick with it!

Gonnabe - Have fun bowling tonight.

Kim - Congrats on the Spurs moving ahead. I forget, do we know who they play next?

Me - Quiet night at home. I need to pick up around the house a little, and I want to get the art work that we got this weekend up. Today at work I've got another big teacher/parent meeting and we're having a rep. come in from a local trade school to talk to the students. I'm hoping shes good at connecting with the kids.

Enjoy your day!!!! And remember Reduce - Recycle - Re-Use

Kim_Star060404
04-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks, hmacneil. :D The winner of the Spurs/Suns series will play the winner of the Mavericks/Hornets series.

zeffryn
04-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Good morning, girls!

Sorry, no time for personals this morning. :(

I was hoping there would be something community driven for Earth Day, but I guess not. I'm not sure what we're going to do.....maybe go to the park and talk about earthy things. :) Calvin is kind of young to understand most stuff, but he does like looking at leaves and such.

Other than that, I have some laundry to do and then I have to wash my floors. I don't know what happened, but there is a trail of orange koolaid in the kitchen. At least it was sugar free and not sticky. I'm also waiting until DS' bedtime tonight to pick up his room. We have to leave early tomorrow morning to pick my mom up, and he probably won't have time to trash it again before we leave. :)

Off to finish watering the plants and emptying my compost jar into the bigger bin.

Have a lovely day, ladies. Enjoy this precious Earth. :)

zeffryn
04-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks, hmacneil. :D The winner of the Spurs/Suns series will play the winner of the Mavericks/Hornets series.

GO SPURS!

Schmoodle
04-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Not to make it sound worse than it is, hmacneil, I am mostly a telecommuter, and only have to go in to my office about once a week. It is 90 miles each way, but yesterday's traffic was just especially bad. Although I did used to commute 60 miles each way a couple of years ago! Burned me out and that's why I became a telecommuter!

Pearlrose
04-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Happy Earth day!!!! Well I have a nsv to report- yesterday was my birthday and the kids and hubby decided I had to have a cake so we got one- I had one small piece and could not finish because it did not taste good waaaay to sweet...not tempted to try another piece at all and I was worried when we bought that I would want to eat the whole thing. But the best part and part of the nsv, my kids won't eat anymore either because they think it is too sweet as well, my sneaking in good food must be working. LOL

GONNABE165
04-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Pearl congrats on the nsv & Happy Birthday!

Schmoodle
04-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Pearlrose,. Happy Birthday! :hb::balloons:
Great cake NSV!

SkinnyDogMom
04-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Happy Birthday PearlRose!

It took DH 40 mins to go about 7 miles to work yesterday due to the flooding. If I hadn't been in the SUV, I would have had to turn around. They actually closed the road after I had gone to work.

Earth Day for me is just a reminder to be better about recycling and reducing. I already re-use everything I can, I believe in re-purposing anything! I decided that if my 87 year old Grandma can recycle...and it isn't curbside, she has to save up her things and then take them to a community recycle dumpster...then we can do better. We only put our trashcan to the curb once every 2 or 3 weeks. It isn't a huge one either. We cook so many whole food items, we just don't have too much trash. BUT, we can do better.

Hope everyone has a nice day, still dreary here, but not raining and I think the sun is trying to peek through the clouds.
Karla

GONNABE165
04-22-2008, 12:47 PM
It is such a beautiful day outside so I deceided to walk outside around my office bldg instaed of going on the inside to work out

FluffyK
04-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Good day everyone. I haven't been in here in a while, as I didn't have my head on straight. Haven't managed to get my eating completely back to SB-clean, but am trying to restrict the bad stuff until I can get back to P2-goodness.

However, starting on Saturday, I have begun jogging every morning. Sunday I did yoga instead, as DH wasn't home. I jog between 1.5 and 2 miles (haven't clocked it) every morning. During the past month, I managed to gain back that 5 lbs I had previously lost, so I'm back at the starting gate.

GONNABE165
04-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Glad your back Fluffy Sorry to hear about the weight gain, it sounds like you are well on your way to getting it back off - good luck!