Old 04-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Mini workout goal

I am so excited. I just finished my afternoon jog and jogged 2 miles without stopping to walk. This is the first time since I was on the cross country team in middle school. It is mainly mental, and I kept telling myself stuff like "you can't start walking until you get to the stop sign" then right before I reached the stop sign I changed my jogging goal to another place but changed the goal before I got there was well. I kept doing this until I reached my final destination and it really worked for me because I did not want to disapoint myself. That is what worked for me in 8th grade, and it is working for me now! Does anyone else have tricks that have helped you work harder or longer during working out?

Last edited by utgirl09; 04-21-2008 at 05:19 PM.
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/202/170

Height: 5'6"

Way to go on the fantastic run!

I do the same thing as you, it sounds like. If I'm running outside I'll set a visual goal when I'm feeling oogy but if I'm feeling good when I get there I'll set another goal for further down the road. On the treadmill, I'll sometimes say "OK, I can make it two more minutes to give a nice even number" and then when I'll get there if I'm .2 of a mile from completing another mile I'll push myself to finish that mile.

I also do so much better when I can turn my brain off a bit. If I'm paying too close of attention to my time or my distance I focus too much on how I'm feeling and I tend to take breaks more often. If I can get focused on the TV on the treadmill or looking around me outside I find it easier to just keep motoring on.
KimProbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

yay!! good for you! no tips other than just SLOW DOWN. go slow and you can go longer. i think that's an obvious one, though.
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote