20-Somethings - enough is ENOUGH

View Full Version : enough is ENOUGH

aerogora
04-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Ok so what was your "enough is enough" point where you decided that you were done with being overweight???

Halichick
04-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Mine was when I realized that I spent all my 20's being the fat chick and not getting out and shaking my booty in sexy clothes. That and not being able to play with my son without feeling like I'm going to have a stroke. I'm committed!! I'm going to be 150 lbs again, hopefully this time next year. :carrot:

Get n healthy
04-20-2008, 06:32 PM
The first time i lost 110 pounds, my enough was enough point was seeing my picture in the church directory. I was on the page with my family's picture and i couldnt even recognize myself. Who is that huge woman with my family, kind of thing.
Unfortunately, i gained it back.
This time around my enough is enough is that even my fat clothes are tight...YIKES

punchthekeys
04-20-2008, 06:38 PM
I was in the car with my mom and I looked at myself in the side mirror and could barely recognize the face looking back at me. I dunno what it was about that mirror but man, it really had an effect on me.

Apple Cheeks
04-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Mine was a combination of two events that happened within a few days of each other:

* Two months ago, while I was in the town where I lived years ago, I went shopping at a store I used to shop at when I was fit. It suddenly hit me that I was now looking for clothes in the XXL's, when only a few years ago I was in the exact same store looking at much smaller, cuter clothes. I nearly burst into tears on the spot.

* I went out and bought a bunch of "flattering" empire-waist, billowy blouses to hide how fat I was (yeah--same shopping trip). I wore one of these pup tents to a party, thinking how well it was concealing my girth and I believed I actually looked pretty good. Then I saw pictures of me taken at the party, and I was stunned at just how enormous I was--even in my "flattering" shirt.

I went on my diet the next day.

tjunetracy
04-20-2008, 07:44 PM
I ordered some clothes online from a "Plus Size" website. I ordered them one or two sizes bigger than my store size just to be safe. I tried them on when I got them in the mail and they were tight. That was a big wake up call

JulieJ08
04-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Several things ...

For a long time I was in this limbo land where Misses 14s and 16s didn't fit right even when they were the right size (not really the right shape anymore), but neither did Plus Size 14s and 16s (not really the right shape yet). Really frustrating. But then I gained a little more, and, well, the Plus Sizes began to fit better. Didn't feel good, even if the shopping was a little easier.

Then, I weighed myself, and saw 197, and didn't want to go over 200.

Then, I found out my dad is diabetic now. Mom already was. Two sisters had gestational diabetes. NOT gonna go there if I can help it. Scary stuff.

Big 4-0 next year.

And right about then, I found this place.

So, I had no choice, you see :-)

SephyFowl
04-20-2008, 10:22 PM
My enough is ENOUGH is when I tried on my old gymnastics leo and took a picture and it was HORRIBLE compared to when I had worn it in competition. Also when I tried on a pair of my sisters maternity pants and they fit.. :barf: That was it and I got a personal trainer..

Darkblue
04-20-2008, 10:35 PM
When I realized I outweighed my husband.

Ija
04-20-2008, 11:09 PM
When I was booted off a roller coaster because I couldn't fasten the safety belt. I had to do the walk of shame off the ride while listening to a group of teenage boys cackling behind me. I realized then that my weight was keeping me from enjoying my life. That experience planted a seed. But it wasn't until I moved to Burlington, one of the healthiest cities in the country, that I felt like I could really make the change. I'm here now, and I'm doing it.

vdaybaby
04-21-2008, 12:28 AM
When my best friend's mom who I hadn't seen in 4 months asked me if I was pregnant...and she was 100% serious

CurvaceousCutie
04-21-2008, 08:00 AM
mine was when i couldnt stand in the shower anymore. i was out of breath. OUT OF BREATH just standing there like 10mins.

vixjean
04-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Not being able to tie my shoes because I couldn't breath,
Looking awesome in a dress in Summer of 06, but not fitting in it in 07 Summer,
and the worst, skipping the work christmas party in 07 AGAIN, because I felt too fat to go there, and was worried my boyfriend's eye would wander (it wouldn't, but you know what I mean)

PinkyPie
04-21-2008, 09:59 AM
When I joined WW in 1999 -
right before that I was on holiday in Israel. I was on the beach in a bikini ( :eek: ) that was TOO small for me. The pressure of the bikini top actually made the back snap off and break and shot my top across the beach. Seriously. If that's not enough to make you look seriously at your weight I don't know what is.

I gained my weight back after a bad period in my life. A combination of anti-depressants and drinking too much helped me put all the weight I lost back on in the span of a year (60 lbs). This time my enough is enough moment covers two things 1) I'm going to be 40 in September and 2) I'm going to get married in October. I do not want to be this size getting married and I do not want to enter my 40's at an unhealthy weight.

I don't care how long it takes me either, I WILL keep going until I reach my goal again. And then I'll keep going after that to keep the weight off FOREVER.

carolineintx
04-21-2008, 10:43 AM
I think my moment of realization is when I went shopping for pants and the largest sizes at the store didnt fit, the idea of shopping in the plus sized stores really slapped me in the face. I was in such denial that I had gained weight...my clothes were just shrinking in the laundry you know....I look back at photos of myself then and I'm amazed I was so oblivious to my size. You would think 50 pounds wouldn't sneak on, but I really had no idea I'd gained as much as I had.

karmuz
04-21-2008, 11:50 AM
I tried on a size 20 and it was too small. I have ALWAYS carried my weight well, but i didn't even realize how much weight i had gained.
in the same week i was out, walking home from a bar, and a group of teenagers started shouting out of thier car, calling me shamu and fatty fatty boom boom or something. it HURT. up until that point, i had thought i had looked GOOD that evening. apparently not through someone else's eyes, even if they were the eyes of jerks.
AND IN THE SAME WEEK i also had been for a yearly checkup and the doctor wanted to put me on statins for my cholesterol. you know what? i'm in my 20s..only 24 then... i can think of FAR better ways to abuse my liver than being on prescription medication.
this was all 4 years ago.

I was reading through old entries in my online journal recently and around the same time I made a post about being a big girl and that i absolutely swore manufacturers were making plus size clothes smaller just to make people feel bad about themselves. i took pride in being a big girl but i just couldn't stand it anymore. I did always think i was going to be a big girl
i was depressed, and i was angry. i was angry at myself for allowing myself to get so large without even noticing.
that week i joined a gym, started reading up on eating plans, and started atkins. I stayed with atkins for quite some time, and had ups and downs, and eventually stopped, and gained back about 20lbs but maintained at that 200lbs for quite some time, having fallen off the wagon i was still utilizing healthy eating habits i learned while on the diet and managed somehow to do a decent job of maintaining. but i felt like crap all the time, bloated and lethargic and depressed.
this past october I went to the doctor, and told her how i ate, told her i exercised regularly and just couldn't get the extra #s off.
She asked about family history, i admitted several aunts and uncles and one of my siblings were all obese, she ran tests, and when i got the tests in the mail she added a note that my #s (including cholesterol!! were fine) and it was possible that due to my family history i may just be genetically predispoditioned to be obese and there wasn't much i could do about it because i did eat well and overall i was more healthy than most normal weight people.
that made me SO MAD. I didn't go back on atkins, but am doing something now that is 100% sustainable for me instead of 80% as atkins was.
about a month in I started doing this for me instead of having an "i'll show that skinny you know what!" additude and i making even healthier choices and am much more active. the bloating is gone, the depression is mostly gone and i feel like a freaking ray of sunshine most days :)

genetically predispositioned to be obese my :censored:!!!!
yeah, i do have a larger frame than about 90% of women my height, the number on the scale depresses me sometimes, but then i remember than i am a size EIGHT now, and have around 25% body fat. the number on the scale may say that i'm 35lbs overweight, but i know how i feel now.

and uhm.. so what was the question again? my ah-hah moment? it's way up there, i guess i ran my mouth a little more than i planned. whoops. sorry, ladies. :) :)

Mystikal
04-21-2008, 12:48 PM
I turned 28 last Monday and realised that I had spent years doing faddy diets and failing and I decided that I won't go into my 30's being fat and self conscious. This time next year I want to be a different person x

ShannanA
04-21-2008, 12:51 PM
What's your waist measure at? When I was you weight I wore a 14. I wore a 20 when I was 220.

Thousandsunny
04-21-2008, 09:04 PM
^ Same. I wear a 20 now and I'm 220. When I was 176 (my goal-ish) I was a 12/14.

Anyway, my Enough! moment was gradual. I don't know what really made me sign up with a trainer and hit the gym. I have tried diets my whole life and I'm just sick of always thinking, every moment of ever day, "I wish I were thin..." or "I bet people are talking about me..." so, I just decided to start working seriously on it. Hopefully, it works!

karmuz
04-21-2008, 11:27 PM
What's your waist measure at? When I was you weight I wore a 14. I wore a 20 when I was 220.

I was a comfortable 14 at 200lbs, and sometimes a 12.
I have a thicker waist and slimmer hips than most women - my current measurements are 33-30-36. while my waist is actually much larger than an "actual" size 8 on many size charts, the cuts that are most flattering on me tend to be lower rise, therefore requiring a smaller size. in "traditional" rise pants i am sometimes a 10, though more often than not, the 8 fits better -i assume - because of my lack of hip and behind. the one honest-to-god dress i own is a size 6, and it fits (again) but it is from my high school graduation over 10 years ago and a very loose cut, so not a great example.
I am very lucky to have an extremely athletic build - before my weight gain I was a very active person, as i am again, and I have a lot of muscle. My measurements are actually smaller now than they were 10 years ago in high school - when i was 135lbs.

ShannanA
04-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Oh i thought you are wearing a 20 at your current weight LOL

karmuz
04-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Oh i thought you are wearing a 20 at your current weight LOL

LOL! I guess i wasn't clear.. and i was raaaambling this morning! It was such a nice day i doubled my run from 30min to an hour and i think i was a little out of my head right when i got home, which is when i posted that.

bjeweled
04-22-2008, 12:45 AM
my moment came in two parts

last year in feb my best friend got married and moved away and i was soooo sad. i met a guy and he called me "voluptuous and big boned." he thought it was a compliment but i personally think it screams FAT and i for a fact was abnormally thin for most of my life i am not big boned but obviously i looked it. no offense to anyone who appreciates the word i just dont like it. i decided to workout to get my mind off of how much i missed her and to finally lose the weight i'd been complaining about for years so i wouldnt be called voluptuous again. i started WW and got a PT and lost 21 pounds. then life happened and i got lazy and had a great relationship with a great guy and we shared all sorts of food.

then he broke up with me...

and i gained all the weight i had lost back plus ten pounds. and didnt realize it when all my clothes didnt fit or my PANTS SPLIT at work. i was so depressed i didnt notice anything really. i didnt get on the scale from october till march. when i did i saw 210 and i have been trying to lose it ever since. and its harder now. :mad: but i made a vow not to eat when i am sad. (i lived on a diet of popeyes and oreos i swear for 4 months)
and im changing it with 3FC. ;)

ChissaBelle
04-22-2008, 02:57 AM
My moment also came in two parts...

First, all the following added up: after being in this stressful program/school (dental hygiene) I had thrown all my healthy eating and exersising habits out the door, as I was stressed like mad and using food to de-stress, while NEVER exersising. Over the last 3 years I've had to upgrade clothes a little here and there. I started looking bigger and bigger in pictures. I never weigh myself (even when I was skinnier, i just go by how my clothes feel) but out of curiosity I jumped on a scale and I had hit a 30lb weight gain in the last 2.5 years (the biggest weight gain I usually ever have is 10lbs) However, I brushed it off and told myself that I could lose it after I graduate in June.

THEN, to give background info and to make a long story short, in asian culture I find if you're not a bonerack, you're considered fat. I was a chubby kid (round belly and cheeks, skinny arms and legs), and called fat all the time (even if I honestly think I was just a smidge pudgey and far from fat) and even when I was at my ideal weight I was considered "bigger". And even if all my relatives and other asian ppl called me fat, my parents NEVER did b/c I think they knew I was okay, I wasn't unhealthy, I was just not a bone rack. But about 2 months ago my parents expressed that they were worried that I wasn't exersising like I used to and reminded me that heart disease, diabetes and obesity run in my family, and they were concerned for my health. As my parents NEVER gave me a hard time, That really struck a note, and I asked my classmate about WWFlex, and have been counting points and exersising 3-5x/week since March 12/08. I found 3FC a week or two ago and feel this is exactly what I need. ;)

taragettingthin
04-22-2008, 03:34 AM
My moment also came in two parts...

THEN, to give background info and to make a long story short, in asian culture I find if you're not a bonerack, you're considered fat.

I know exactly what you mean... I'm from Korea and one of my classmate from juinor high (Korean) told me that for my height(5'7"), I should weigh about 115 lbs(53kg) at the most. HAHAHA!!! :nono:

MadameZombie
04-22-2008, 08:54 AM
My boyfriend and I are taking a trip to Florida and I want to wear a bikini without having to throw a t-shirt over myself.

And I want to last longer during sex and be able to wear lingerie for my boyfriend without feeling gross.

prepping
04-22-2008, 10:57 AM
My enough was realizing that I had gained 20 lbs since I started seeing my boyfriend due to eating what he eats and the same amount (rarely a good idea for any woman). I was seeing lovehandles starting to resemble a muffin top out of my jeans and my thighs looked like they were battling hippos when I walked. No good! :o

My mum was actually the one that reached breaking point first after seeing pictures of herself on a recent trip to Miami, so i accompanied her to an Herbal Magic to get the 'real deal' and when they weighed me I came in at 190. big sad face. I was determined that I would lose it all one last and final time because I had spent the previous 3 years trying to come down from 215. Plus the last thing I wanted was to look back on wedding pictures (June 2009 wedding) and for the rest of my life see what I considered to be a fat girl in a pretty dress. (Man, us women can be hard on ourselves!)

ChissaBelle
04-22-2008, 04:02 PM
I know exactly what you mean... I'm from Korea and one of my classmate from juinor high (Korean) told me that for my height(5'7"), I should weigh about 115 lbs(53kg) at the most. HAHAHA!!! :nono:

OMG! That made me laugh OUT LOUD, as my best friend is Korean. In my eyes she is the proper size for her frame... PLUS thank God she is reasonable cuz she always has stories of how Korean people love to tell her she should lose 20-30 lbs, and laughs at how silly that is. (oh and they tell her how she should get plastic surgery and how she should be taller among other things) I'm from a Filipino background and I thought they were nutty. LOL!! I haven't weighed 115 since elementary school Heee Heeee

Matilda08
04-23-2008, 03:14 PM
My came when I see myself in pictures. That is when you truly see how big you are. I hate taking pics but now with me trying to lose weight taking pics is one of the things that motivates me. I know I hate what I see so .....lol Plus my son is two years old and very active I want to be able to play with him outside and have fun while doing it....

Feral
04-23-2008, 04:57 PM
...my thighs looked like they were battling hippos when I walked. No good! :o

AHAHAHAHA! I only laugh at this because I have the same problem!

Mine comes a few different things. Growing up I've always been a "thick" girl. I would say I carry myself well. I've always wanted to be "the skinny girl," but for all of the wrong reasons.

I moved back to NC about 5 months ago. When I came back everyone was telling me how good I looked and how I had lost weight. I really hadn't thought I had lost THAT much weight, but obviously after being in Atlanta for 2 years they could tell a difference. Unfortunately I saw some pictures of me from a couple of parties I attended in Atlanta and *gag* is about all I have to say about that!!!!

My mother and father are both overweight, always have been. My paternal grandfather died when he was 53 due to a heart attack. My father is now 54 and I worry every day that I will get a phone call that he's in the hospital or has died (heaven forbid!) due to a heart attack. It runs on BOTH sides of my family so I have a double whammy. I don't want to be in his position when I get to be his age. My father has always struggled with yo-yo diets and being miserable and having what my mom and I call "fat attacks" where he doesn't want to do anything and generally feels miserable due to his size.

I have NEVER worn a bikini. During the summer I always wear pants or capris because I'm embarrassed of my "hippo thighs." I have a naturally olive complexion and tan beautifully during the summer. It's a bit embarrassing to actually wear shorts around your friends and them make fun of you for your "casper" legs and super tan upper body. Whenever I go swimming its usually in a pair of men's board shorts and a t-shirt or tank top because I don't like how I look. This is the LAST summer I will be doing that.

Recently I just started a new job. My mom went shopping with me and after watching FARRRR too many episodes of "What Not To Wear" I was critiqued to no end (from someone who has NO room critiquing!) and utterly depressed at how clothes just don't fit right. (Again, I have very thick upper thighs so even though they may fit in the waist, its hard to find a good pair that fits in the waist AND thighs.) I would love to wear the cute little clothes my co-workers wear, but alas, they don't really make them in big girl sizes.

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE shopping for these reasons! I hate looking at the SAME clothes I wear every week wishing I could be wearing something a little more in style.

I'm not growing any younger and even though its not easy at ANY age, I would certainly imagine it's much harder the older you get!

So... enough is ENOUGH!

A few summers ago I had lost 30 lbs and couldn't BELIEVE what a difference it made just being able to run up the stairs without being out of breath! [Thanks to my brother's 3rd story apartment!]

My reward... and BIG BIG BIG goal [aside from weight loss] is to finally get my half sleeve tattoo and back piece that I've been dying to get, but just don't want to bother with if my body is in this kind of shape!!!!

becca96
04-23-2008, 05:10 PM
I joined the gym after looking in my wardrobe and hating every piece of clothing I owned, as none of them made me look good... then I found out my BMI was 31.2 and I felt sick to my stomach! It's gone down a few digits now :) I want to be like my other sexy 20 year old friends, wear skimpy outfits and look damn good in them.

junebug41
04-23-2008, 05:13 PM
In short: Obese, broke ankle during ice skating (I was the rink guard!), carried off the ice with my butt hanging out of my pants. Had surgery the next morning. Alone, on couch, no food. Decided enough was enough.

KatieLeighVOLS
04-23-2008, 05:14 PM
I had been dating a guy for about 6 months and we drank a lot and ate out a lot...and then he dumped me, so of course, I ate even more...

I've never been a tiny person, but I had become big enough that I didn't want to take pictures, cried whenever I was in the dressing room trying on clothes...and I felt unhappy overall. I knew I wasn't healthy, as I now have reflux from that previous diet!

I just finally realized I needed to make a change. I started dating a new guy, and although he thinks I'm beautiful as I am, he's very supportive of me. I now feel SO much healthier and so much better..and I did it FOR ME! (which is the most important part!!!!)

orthodiva
04-23-2008, 10:44 PM
I did ok trying to change my diet last year and lost some pounds (no excercise). I gained them all back in January sitting on my couch, eating, and moping about how lonely I felt because my bf and parents live 800 miles away. I have a very nice life here so I don't know why I felt the need to be miserable and feel sorry for myself. I watched the scale creep up but I didn't bother to control my eating. My mom was coming to visit me for a few weeks in March and I decided I needed to stop these unhealthy behaviors because she wouldn't tolerate them and would nag me non-stop. In the meantime, my boyfriend and I had a huge fight partly related to my weight. He called off a trip to Europe we were planning together. :( Like others have mentioned, I too was feeling gross looking at pictures of myself.

All of that combined, I finally decided I needed to do something and get my life under control. The comfort I got from eating food was not worth the hit my social life was going to take if I continued with my weight gain. Through my work, I have free gym memberships at two gyms and to not utilize such a great benefit is very stupid on my part! I made up my mind that I would go to the gym, start doing something to move and get my heart rate up, and see if I could lose some weight. If after a few weeks I didn't see any results, I would hire a trainer. It's been 7 weeks and I'm seeing some results, I don't think I'm going to go with the trainer for now.

Feral
04-24-2008, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE=orthodiva;2165792]
Through my work, I have free gym memberships at two gyms and to not utilize such a great benefit is very stupid on my part! QUOTE]

Yay for awesome work discounts! I work for a public school system and we get discounts on gym memberships too. Its awesome! My best friend (who also works with me) has one, her boyfriend and her mom so we make it a "family" thing!

:cool: