Old 04-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/197.6/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Why is WW against being pregnant & OP?

If it is a lifestyle change of healthier eating habits, then why is it a big no-no to be on plan while pregnant?

I'm asking because I just took a Home Test & it was positive. Of course I'm only 4 weeks in & have lost 11lbs. I had Gest. Diabetes with my first pregnancy & was on a pretty strict diet as it was & only gained 10lbs my entire pregnancy with a completely healthy newborn.

So do I just give it up & try & maintain a healthy lifestyle anyway?
gemini1567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

I delivered my daughter 12 lb lighter than I was when I got pregnant with her and she's perfectly healthy. Talk to your doctor, take the WW info in with you and get an opinion from him or her. He'll probably be willing to give you a POINTS/calorie goal that will support pregnancy and your health. Congratulations on your upcoming baby!
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #3  
jeanne

Height: 5'4"

Hi gemini - I'm way past having babies, but..........in one of my WW books there is an actual chart for pregnant and nursing women to follow.
**I'm at work right now, but when I get home, if I can find it, I'll let you know what all it says!
jeanne
jar1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #4  

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2008, 02:12 AM   #5  
Crunchy hippy mama

S/C/G: 260/260/200

Height: 5'4

I lost weight while preg, and my doctor was very happy with the weight loss. As long as you eat healthy, and remember that growing this baby is more importent then losing so much a week, you will be fine.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lauralee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:39 AM   #6  
Blue Team Member

S/C/G: 297/229/150

Height: 5'5/168cm

IM busting in to your forum to say a great big:che er2:
CONGRATULATIONS !!! Gemini and family ..

Lol i read the post becuase i thought it would be interesting and i was right lol i wish you and very happy healthy pregnancy ..

I know nothing about ww but i assume its healthy well balanced and good for you.. i know you have done this before but get good pregnancy multi and do light exercise like walking and swimming. the more active you can be the better you will feel .. trust me on that one.. i had one where i could be active.. i felt and looked great and then the next one on rest .. OMG i looked bad i felt bad and every part of my body hurt lol i had low blood pressure and vomited the entire pregnancy lol ..

They active one was soo much better ! ok ill jump off your forum but i had to say grats
amouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:48 AM   #7  

The thing is though, the weight watchers material I just got said they will not "accept" you if you are pregnant, closest they will do is nursing mothers.

I don't see why I can't continue to do the program, but I guess, I can't do meetings & such any longer.

I'm going to talk to my doctor about it.

Thanks again for the well wishes!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations!

I would definitely talk to your doctor. I don't think it's advisable to be restricting calories while pregnant unless under the care (and watchful eye) of your doctor. Here is a link about dieting and pregnancy:

http://www.pregnancy-info.net/dieting.html

I don't see a reason why you can't still eat healthy, but you should probably be eating more since you are pregnant (the amount you'd need to maintain plus 300-500 extra calories for the baby.)

Last edited by zenor77; 04-21-2008 at 03:25 AM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:10 AM   #9  
jessica

S/C/G: 221/204.6/135

Default good question

The only reason you are not allowed to be a member of weight watchers while pregnant is, the leaders are not doctors and so cannot give a pregnant person medical or nutritional advice. i know this because i had a huge cow about it last year when i was preggo with my second child. my leader told me she was sorry and to keep eating health but she was not allowed to give a pregnant person medical advice. i kept trying to eat healthy and kept my gain to 7 lbs. take your ww info to your doctor appointment with you and let him know that you want to continue and see what he says. he might just want you to get in more dairy than normal. good luck with your pregnancy! new little babies are such a blessing!
maass1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #10  
Crunchy hippy mama

S/C/G: 260/260/200

Height: 5'4

honestly i would keep going until I showed. Or until I started gaining every week. But for me I did not gain till the 3rd trimester.
lauralee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:10 AM   #11  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

First off, congratulations on your pregnancy

I was told a while ago that WW used to allow pregnant women to stay OP and keep going to meetings. Then a woman who was pregnant miscarried and sued the company. This is what one of my leaders told me, I'm not sure if it is true or not. But really, you should not be restricting your caloric intake without your OB/GYN's advice.

Once a WW becomes pregnant, they are supposed to notify their leader. They will not be allowed to go to WW meetings anymore or weigh in, but their "account" gets put on hold until a certain time after giving birth (I think its 8-10 weeks or something) so they can go back to WW without having to pay any missed fees, etc. At least this is how it works for a Lifetime member (I asked for my own knowledge a while back because DH and I will be TTC soon).

Last edited by modkittn; 04-22-2008 at 10:11 AM.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #12  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Congrats!! Talk to your doctor, and don't tell the ww person until you are showing. I bet your doctor will be happy that you are on plan. Maybe he/she will have you increase dairy but that's all I can imagine.
hugs to you and your family
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:31 AM   #13  

Thanks ladies. I have my first meeting with my dr tomorrow. Considering she is the one that told me to lose weight & suggested WW, and I was on a very strict diet the first time I was pg because of Gestational Diabetes, I think she might look on it favorably. But depending on what my doctor says, I'll probably let my leader know & see what can be done. I purchase the 10 passes, and I've only gotten through 4 of them!
Old 04-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #14  

That's great news!! Congrats!!!

I was overweight when I found out I was pregnant and my doctor was totally supportive of me continueing to follow weight watchers.

The key is...use your points for nutritional beneficial foods and maybe add in an extra glass of milk each day.

I weighed 9 lbs less than my pre-pregnancy weight only 2 weeks after giving birth and my daughter weighed 8 lbs 6 oz so she clearly had no problems getting the nutrition she needed from my diet!

If you can get a doctor's note then I think ww will let you continue meetings....at least to let you use up the remaining passes.

Congratulations!!!

Last edited by Boston Gorman; 04-29-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Boston Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

Congratulations, Gemini!

And let us know what the doctor said. I know that there are no guidelines for pregnant women, but I've wondered the same thing as you.

luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote