South Beach Diet - Phase I Starters/Restarters - April 20 and Onwards

Ruthxxx
04-20-2008, 01:10 PM
If you are starting or redoing Phase I, here's the place to post ideas, questions and support. You can also use this thread to whine! :lol:

sluggo44
04-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Ruthxxx, thanks for starting this thread. I will be sure and post here when I start tomorrow. I did sb about 3 years ago and lost 20 pounds (I hate Menopause) due to a very bad bout with depression I gained all that back and some. I have probably taken some of it off but don't know the actual number due to I don't do the scale I just go by how my clothes fit. I know I have 10-15 to go before my old clothes will fit had they use too, maybe even 8-10 will work. I know how good I feel when I'm doing sb and how very little menopause symptoms I have. I wish everyone the best of luck on their journey.:carrot::);)

sweetlovin
04-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Hey. I'm starting tommorrow. Wish me luck

I want to go exercise today to get my energy up

zeffryn
04-20-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm going to do another week or so of P1, and then maybe morph into a P1.5 for awhile.

I had a rough weekend :(

Ruthxxx
04-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Sweetlovin, it's suggested that we cut back on exercise during the first week of Phase I. Your body will have enough to do as it detoxes.

sweetlovin
04-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Sweetlovin, it's suggested that we cut back on exercise during the first week of Phase I. Your body will have enough to do as it detoxes.

really darn? what section is that on, because I never read that. I really want to get back into basketball shape. idk. if i feel overworked, I will stop of course.

\

nellagirl
04-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Hi everyone!! I am ready to start. I went to Walmart and got groceries. I am going to make a sausage breakfast casserole (not sure where I got the recipe). I have already planned out my snacks too. I think the reason I failed the last time was because I failed to plan. Good luck to everyone!!

Ruth-Thanks for posting that about cutting back on the exercise in P1, I had not read that anywhere-or at least I don't remember it.

tdiprincess
04-21-2008, 02:00 AM
Hey there all! I start with DH and fam. tomorrow. I have every meal planned out. We'll see how we (I) do!!! I'm excited... Went to the store got the groceries for the week. Got our waters. We're good to go! Now we just have to do it! What's really exciting is that there's so many other people starting at the same time!
:carrot: YAY!!!

Ruthxxx
04-21-2008, 06:27 AM
You know, I can't find the word about exercise in the book either. Perhaps I got the info from the official SBD website. Anybody else spot it?

Ruthxxx
04-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Just a reminder to all chickies starting or restarting Phase I that we do eat carbs. This is a slow carb not a no carb plan. You need dairy and legumes or you may end up with the Phase I "flu".

iammare
04-21-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm restarting today. Made the trip to the store on the way into work for my yogurt, celery and hummus. I also got smart and bought a 1L bottle of water - which I'll refill, just so its easier to keep track of my water consumption.

Wish me Luck!!!

sluggo44
04-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Nellagirl, did you start today? I already wanted to cave due to my sinus are going crazy but all I needed to do was reread some posts and the motivation came back. Feeling the roll on my stomach was motivation too. Right now my biggest hurdle is eating breakfast and every four hours. I run a switchboard so its hard. Good luck to everyone today

sweetlovin
04-21-2008, 12:37 PM
I left my lunch money at school. I was going to have some nuts for a snack and maybe a small salad at my cafeteria

oh well. I guess I can go home and eat and it still counts even if im not eating at the exact times

sweetlovin
04-21-2008, 12:38 PM
You know, I can't find the word about exercise in the book either. Perhaps I got the info from the official SBD website. Anybody else spot it?

lol maybe u r confusing sbd with another diet plan you tried

Ruthxxx
04-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Nope - it definitely was South Beach. I've been doing it for years.

Sweetlovin, it is important to plan ahead so you can eat at set times daily. This prevents blood sugar fluctuations.

nellagirl
04-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Hey sluggo! I did start today. So far I have had coffee, water, and 2 Cheesy Sausage Cups. They were really good and DH liked them too!

Good luck everyone!!

iammare
04-21-2008, 01:13 PM
This is my 2nd start at the Beach, and in P1, I can't imagine working out. I just don't feel that good for the 1st week or so - while I'm cleaning out. After about day 10, I feel better, and start adding some walking... But that's it.

P1.5 or P2 is when I get really going :)

happiness seeker
04-21-2008, 01:43 PM
I fell off the wagon the end of last week. I will be staying on P1 for another week or so. I feel like I am having trouble getting into a routine again.

tdiprincess
04-21-2008, 02:00 PM
So I started today with the DH. So far:
sauteed some veggies and then added eggs and LF cheese. and then veggie wedges with some LF dressing (a little fat helps the body absorb more nutrients than without some fat)
homemade iced tea sweetened with splenda when made and ff 1/2+1/2
snack: veggie wedges with some LF spreadable cheese on them.. YUMMY!!
Lunch: I'm making now... hardboiled eggs. Then I'm going to make a little egg salad and then saute some green beans and then have a nice salad on the side. and water water water!!
That's it so far! :)

movielover
04-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Not sure what I really want to do yet...I was doing awesome for almost 1 year, but then BAM 2 weeks of cr@p eating...so I am thinking of doing 1-2 weeks of P1 to get back on track..so far so good today!

auemma
04-22-2008, 06:21 AM
Just wanted to say hi - I started phase 1 today - I've found it ok so far - which is good considering I am away with work for 3 days!

Emma

Ruthxxx
04-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Hi, Emma. :welcome: to The Beach. Be sure to post how things are going for you.

krosmon
04-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Hi.

Just gave up after doing 3 weeks of Atkins and only losing 4 lbs., and those were during the first two or three days - then nothing. Then I started getting hypoglycemic shaking so I decided it is too difficult to do a no-carb program. So, today, I am going to try SB and see if that works for me.

I am an older lady so I don't expect the weight to fall off like it used to, but I have to do something and this seems like a better program for me. The doctor thinks I am pre-diabetic so I started testing my blood glucose and find that if anything, my numbers show very low instead of high. But with more carbs, maybe I can normalize it and make the scale move south again.

I don't think I need to do Phase 1 as I have already been doing practically no carbs already. So, will start Phase 2 and see what happens.

auemma
04-24-2008, 04:28 AM
Ok so far, so good. Three days in and it's been pretty good especially considering I've been away as I said.
Home tonight so I'm sure it will be a bit easier now that' I'm doing my own food.
Today I've had

B:scrambled eggs w/ bacon and grilled tomato
L: Steak with salad greens and balsamic dressing
D: Morrccan savoury mince with Chickpeas and stir fried veggies...

Ricotta and chocolate cup ...

Does this all sound ok for phase one?
I'm going to weigh myself in the morning --- how long til you generally see weight loss in phase 1?

Also... is Paul Newmans Ranch Dressing ok?

Thanks
Emma

waquilter
04-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Welcome Emma!

Glad you started this thread Ruth - After 2 great months - January & February, DH & I went on vacation and it's been downhill ever since (although I've only gained back 5 lbs.) This is just the motivation I need to get back on plan. Speaking of which - planning is what helped me in the past so I've started writing out a menu plan the night before so I'm sure everything I need is in the house and there's no mindless eating.

tdiprincess
04-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Hey all.. Its day 5 for me and DH. I've been doing very well. I've been abstaining from the goodies that DH has been having.. that's been hard not to goof off like him.. But I can't do that yet. I feel better about myself when I stick to plan too and it teaches me self-control...just say no!!
Hope everyone is doing well...
emma: dressing is good as long as it has less than 3g carbs in it. Anything more is not good. I use the Newman's Own Light Balsamic Vineigrette...

happyteacher
04-25-2008, 04:03 PM
I am back into phase 1 for 2 weeks, I have totally fallen off the wagon, thank goodness I think I only gained a few pounds of water weight back!

Czarria
04-25-2008, 07:33 PM
I had great success with south beach several years ago. I remember feeling better than I had in years, and feeling like the food was satisfying me. And feeling icky when I ate icky food. I feel though, that I started reintroducing foods, and somewhere along the way I got distracted. Well one piece of low carb bread turned into the whole loaf (not literally but you get the idea). I gained all the weight, plus 60.

So now I'm thinking about restarting.
But I am also resisting the idea of a "diet". Diets are what made me fat and I don't know if I can actually stick to this, for life.

Ruthxxx
04-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Czarria, think of it as a Lifestyle change, not a diet. It is really just a very healthy way of eating.

Natalie'sMom
04-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Hiya!! :) DH and I are starting tomorrow! I went to the store today and got all of our goodies!! I am looking forward to the big loss at the end of the two weeks!!

mandyleigh
04-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Hey everybody! I'm REstarting PH1 tomorrow and am getting excited about it again! I fell off the wagon due to being sick and then work and then stress out the wazoo then excuses...which I seem to be the queen of lately!! haha

Nellagirl....what's the recipe for your sausage breakfast casserole?? I'm looking for something that I can cook ahead and then just pop in the microwave to warm up...I'm REALLY pinched for time in the morning!!

tdiprincess
04-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Its so exciting so many people starting right now!! I started last week with DH P1 again. Were pretty much through P1...one more week!!! I'm getting excited because I've been pretty good.. I had a few handfuls of 94% fat free popcorn... way below the actual serving size and everything...but that was it for the week as to cheating...
I'm excited... I hope everyone is excited too!! :carrot: :carrot:

BellaLucia
04-27-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm starting tommorrow. Wish me luck.

movielover
04-27-2008, 08:52 PM
GOOD LUCK! It is great!

Marathon Mom
04-28-2008, 10:13 AM
I am 1 week into SBD Phase 1 and was doing so well! Down 4 lbs! However this weekend we were away. I packed and planned carefully. I stayed on plan. Come to find the cheese I packed, and ate 3/4 of wasn't low fat. It was full fat... I ended up gaining a pound over the weekend.

Back on track this week and hoping I can continue to lose...

Good to see there is a ton of support on this thread! Good luck to everyone!

:dance:

zeffryn
04-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Marathon mom, I doubt that pound was due to the cheese....unless you ate a few bricks worth of it. It was probably due to water weight or other bodily influences. Don't beat yourself up over it ;) Be proud that you packed and planned ahead for your trip!

I was craving this morning, so I'm going to jump on P1 for a few days. We'll see if that remedies the situation. :)

Marathon Mom
04-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Zeffryn... Thanks so much for your vote of confidence! TOM should be here any day, but I hate making excuses for that....

zeffryn
04-28-2008, 12:43 PM
It isn't an excuse, honey, it's the truth! Women hold between 1-3 lbs. of water during TOM. I held 5 once. It will all be gone soon ;)

movielover
04-28-2008, 01:43 PM
I am 1 week into SBD Phase 1 and was doing so well! Down 4 lbs! However this weekend we were away. I packed and planned carefully. I stayed on plan. Come to find the cheese I packed, and ate 3/4 of wasn't low fat. It was full fat... I ended up gaining a pound over the weekend.

GOOD for you for sticking to it!!!! Full fat cheese is better then white bread!!!

This weekend I did well, I ate way too many SF things though! I swear when I am home I "think" I am hungry all of the time! Made shish kabobs! SOOOO good!

ceejay52
04-28-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm going to start over with the beach tomorrow.

Good luck every one.

tdiprincess
04-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Through week one. I'm down 6lbs to 155!!! I cheated with a little popcorn on friday and a sm glass of wine on sunday.. I think i did pretty well overall. I'm excited about the 5lbs... When I lose 5 more I'll be at what I was for the wedding, and my last goal weight. Then I can go from there!!
We can do it chickies!! :carrot: :carrot:

sweetlovin
04-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Day 1 of south beach for me. so far, not too bad.

sweetlovin
04-28-2008, 11:16 PM
I feel like I ate sooo much today. I overdosed on nuts a bit too.

Breakfast- Mock Pancakes with yogurt (plain) and coffee

snack- serving of cashews

snack- sliced up zucchinis

lunch- Skim Milk
Salad with broccoli sprinkled with cheese and serving of chicken.

Snack- 1 1/2 serving of peanuts with cottage cheese and yogurt mixed up together w/ sugar-free syrup

2 cheese sticks

Dinner- serving of chicken with spinach.

I need to control my snacking to two times a day only! I guess I'm still getting use to the plan. I haven't been hungry but I have had the urge to snack. I hope I didn't eat too much!

I didn't eat beans today but I think I did well otherwise

cottagebythesea
04-29-2008, 07:42 AM
sweetlovin,your menu looks pretty good, just make sure you're eating enough vegetables, and you did overdo it on the nuts. Other than that, you're doing just fine, sweetie! Keep it up, and eat some beans today. :hug:

tdiprincess, :cp: Congratulations! :)

Marathon Mom
04-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Checking in.. can I get some opinions on my PH1 eating?

Yesterday.. I think I'm eating too much.

Breakfast: 1 egg / spinach / 1/4c low fat blue cheese crumbles

Snack: 1 1/2 C Fat free ricotta cheese w/ 2Tbs Natural Peanut butter and 2Tbs cocoa powder / splenda

Lunch: 2c Faux Chicken Chili w/ white beans

Dinner: 1 Can Arichoke Hearts / 1/2 C Fat free Parmesan Cheese / 2 T Light Mayo / Lettuce w/ spray dressing

Snack: 1 Tbs Peanut Butter / 1 Tbs Cocoa Powder / 3 Tbs Nonfat dry milk / Splenda - (Warm Brownie recipe) but I didn't have syrup so I added water.. it was divine.

Down one pound that I gained over the weekend.

Gymrat128
04-29-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm hoping to get started tomorrow. I need to go to the store. No veggies here and very little proteins since I've been away for a week.

Which SBD cookbooks would you all recommend to get started? I was looking at the summer cookbook on Amazon.

I also need to check out some bean recipes my kids would eat.

Jo

Gymrat128
04-29-2008, 02:17 PM
One more thing, how do you feel about artifical sweeteners as far as cravings go? I've been reading recently that your brain treats art. sweeteners just like sugar. Is it better on P1 to avoid AS?

ceejay52
04-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Gymrat128
My experience is that artificial sweetners do make me crave things. I don't use them any more.

tdiprincess
04-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Gymrat: It all depends on the person. I use splenda for everything instead of sugar. If you can use 'em without overeating then go ahead.. if not, then don't. Its all a learning process.. You'll figure out what your body likes and dislikes... :)

Day2 of week2 down of P1....almost to the finish line and onto p2.. although.. I'll be taking p2 slowly but surely.. ;)

tdiprincess
04-29-2008, 06:55 PM
OH..cottage: thanks for the applause.. I'm very happy!! :D

ceejay52
04-30-2008, 10:43 AM
tdiprincess
congratulatiions on those 6 pounds lost.

Doing south beach today but will officially start tomorrow.

movielover
04-30-2008, 12:33 PM
So far so good for me! Been on track for 9 days! I have lost about 7lbs which is good because I only had gained about 5ish! Feels good to have the "new" clothes being lose too :)

Marathon Mom
04-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Hey Chicks, I am on day 8 of PH1. I was having great weight loss success in the first week (4lbs) but have seem to stalled this week. Could be TOM or the fact that I am eating too much unsweetened choc powder and natural low fat peanut butter (going over about 1-2 Tbs) yesterday and today.
I really want SBD to work for me...

Question -

How many snacks per day? 1 or 2? are they required?

Can I stay on PH1 until I reach my first goal? or is it best to transition to PH2 after 2 weeks. (I am not feeling too restricted by PH1) except for the wine.... :)

Thanks for your help!

zeffryn
04-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey Chicks, I am on day 8 of PH1. I was having great weight loss success in the first week (4lbs) but have seem to stalled this week. Could be TOM or the fact that I am eating too much unsweetened choc powder and natural low fat peanut butter (going over about 1-2 Tbs) yesterday and today.
I really want SBD to work for me...

Question -

How many snacks per day? 1 or 2? are they required?

Can I stay on PH1 until I reach my first goal? or is it best to transition to PH2 after 2 weeks. (I am not feeling too restricted by PH1) except for the wine.... :)

Thanks for your help!

From what I know, you can eat as many snacks as you need to feel full....but they need to be the right kind of snacks. Veggies aren't limited on the plan, so having a snack of fresh pepper strips or celery with a little hummus would be great. Eating a serving of almonds every snack isn't so great, however. In P1, the servings of nuts should be limited to 1 a day....as well as 2 T of fats (which includes nut butters). I just had my first snack of the day, and I had a half serving of almonds and a half cup of fat free cottage cheese. Lots of protein to tide me over until lunch, and it ensures that I won't be ravenous at lunch.

The purpose of snacks is to keep your metabolism up all day. Eating less might make you feel like you're losing weight, but in reality, your metabolism is shutting down and as soon as you eat a fair amount, you will gain weight back.

Also, P1 isn't healthy for long periods of time. Your body needs carbs (HEALTHY ones!) to thrive. Your brain feeds on carbs. Vegetables offer some carbs, but not enough to truly be healthy on this plan. P1 is simply for regulating your blood sugar and eliminate cravings. You can always jump back on P1 if you find yourself craving again, or if you suddenly gain weight..but P2 is the healthiest way to lose weight. If you want to lose faster on P2, don't eat as many fruits and grains...but still include them in your diet.

You are probably right in your diagnosis of why you've stalled out. Try eating fewer fat calories and more veggie calories during the day. TOM is a big factor in this kind of thing also, women gain weight during TOM, simple as that. The good news is that it will go away when TOM goes away.

sweetlovin
04-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Update! I feel soo much healthier and it's only the 3rd day. I use to eat soo many carbs and now I don't feel like I need them as much anymore. Tommorrow's going to be my 4th day and I started off at a 160 and I'm down to 157 already! I just have a lot more energy because I'm not crashing on sugar so much. One thing I have noticed is I get hungrier more often between meals so I nibble a bit, but only on healthy things! Like sliced zuchinni, squash, cucumbers, or celery. I eat cheese sticks and nuts for protein too. My favorite cheese is low fat ricotta

I have been making sure I've gotten all my vegetables in. I fill up a bag full of vegetables in a steam bag and pop it into the microwave, then I eat it with some protein. I made up my own "sandwhich" recipe that I'm going to post sooner or later in the recipe section.

I am soo full after each meal that I can't even think of eating anything else! Snacks usually are when I'm the hungriest but breakfast and dinner leave me belly full.

Also, this may be TMI, but for the past 4 days (1st day was a test drive of the plan) I have been using the bathroom more regularly. Maybe because of the fiber.

I can't wait to continue with the plan and see the results. This is actually the easiest diet I have ever done. But I can't wait to be on phase 2 ! I really miss eating sweet stuff like fruits! Maybe a slice of whole grain bread or oat meal wouldn't hurt either! But now I know that I need to eat those things in moderation. I use to eat like 8 slices of whole grain bread in one day sometimes!

Here's what I ate so far

Breakfast: Ricotta cheese, and a sprinkle of nuts (was rushing out the door. Late!). i had sliced cucumbers lying around and ate that too.

Snack: Cheese Stick

Snack- cashews

Lunch- 2 boiled eggs, with sliced zuchinni, broccoli and cheese (low fat chedder),

snack- sliced squash

then I came home and had a sliced squash "sandwhich" . idk what to call this meal.

Just dinner left and I'm done for the day.

Yesterday I exercised at the gym and plan to go today too for the classes.

sweetlovin
04-30-2008, 04:59 PM

Snack: 1 1/2 C Fat free ricotta cheese w/ 2Tbs Natural Peanut butter and 2Tbs cocoa powder / splenda

Dinner: 1 Can Arichoke Hearts / 1/2 C Fat free Parmesan Cheese / 2 T Light Mayo / Lettuce w/ spray dressing

Snack: 1 Tbs Peanut Butter / 1 Tbs Cocoa Powder / 3 Tbs Nonfat dry milk / Splenda - (Warm Brownie recipe) but I didn't have syrup so I added water.. it was divine.

Just in my opinion, and the advice I've gotten (and I'm not expert on the plan either ;)). I would probably add more veggies since you had only 2 servings that day. When you say can, you mean the entire can or one serving from the can?

And for the snacks, You're only allowed one serving of nuts a day so be careful with that. Try slicing up some veggies with low fat dip. I eat them without dip but I really wish I had some to dip them in.

You must be a vegetarian from looking at your menu, so maybe the exta nuts isn't too bad for you.. hmm

Anyway good job so far. Good luck!

zeffryn
04-30-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm hoping to get started tomorrow. I need to go to the store. No veggies here and very little proteins since I've been away for a week.

Which SBD cookbooks would you all recommend to get started? I was looking at the summer cookbook on Amazon.

I also need to check out some bean recipes my kids would eat.

Jo

The summer cookbook is great, but I use the original SBD cookbook the most. The Quick and Easy book is pretty good as well.

zeffryn
04-30-2008, 08:12 PM

You may want to cut back on the fats....1-2 T. a day is the limit on P1. In this day, I see 5. Also, as someone else mentioned....UP the veggies :) throw them in for a snack instead of something sweet like ricotta blends, or add more at lunch and dinner. From the looks of it, you're a vegetarian?

Other than that, it looks good. You mentioned that you were stalling out weight loss wise, lower the good fats and raise the veggies and it should balance out.

Great job on that one pound! :)

Marathon Mom
05-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Zeffryn and Sweet - :hug: thank you for your feedback - I really appreciate it.

I am a vegetarian but do eat fish on occasion. I completely agree with your suggestions. More veggies - less fat. I have had some terrible cravings in the past few days. (TOM) I am going to try and cut back on splenda and eliminate the cocoa powder until I can get over this hurdle.

Thanks again for all of your help and support!

Enjoy your day!

Ruthxxx
05-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Marathon Mom, that's a largish "snack". Ricotta is 514 calories and 29 grams of fat. When you add the peanut butter, you're up to 700 calories and 46 grams of fat.

Perhaps you should run your food through www.fitday.com just to see your calories and fat/carb/protein balance.

Marathon Mom
05-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Ruth.. Oh you make me look so naughty!!! :) I am an avid user of fit day.. Love it!

I acutally eat FF ricotta 70 cal per serving - and Natural low fat pb 94 cal 6 grams of fat per serving...

The below makes it appear that proteins are limitless and veggies are portioned.. am I reading it wrong??? (And PB is considered a fat)

Protein: Quantity is not limited. See choices
Vegetables: Minimum 1/2 cup. See choices
Fruit: None
Starch: None
Milk: None
Fat: 1 tsp mayonnaise or oil (optional) See choices

gailwore
05-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Hello all - I'm new to the site and new to South Beach. My husband and I are on Day 4. We'd both like to lose at least 15 pounds, though I'd be happier with 20. :)

So far we are both feeling the "South Beach Flu"; tired and cranky and I've had a bit of a headache for the past day or so. Luckily we don't have too much going on this week so it hasn't been too much of an issue - but I hate feeling this way and am wondering what to try to break out of it. I heard beans can be helpful so I plan to whip up a turkey chili this evening and see if that makes a difference. Our eating was not all that junky before so I'm a little surprised how much Phase 1 has affected us. Always open to any suggestions or thoughts and good luck to everybody!

:)

zeffryn
05-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Hello all - I'm new to the site and new to South Beach. My husband and I are on Day 4. We'd both like to lose at least 15 pounds, though I'd be happier with 20. :)

So far we are both feeling the "South Beach Flu"; tired and cranky and I've had a bit of a headache for the past day or so. Luckily we don't have too much going on this week so it hasn't been too much of an issue - but I hate feeling this way and am wondering what to try to break out of it. I heard beans can be helpful so I plan to whip up a turkey chili this evening and see if that makes a difference. Our eating was not all that junky before so I'm a little surprised how much Phase 1 has affected us. Always open to any suggestions or thoughts and good luck to everybody!

:)

Beans are pretty starchy and high in carbs, yet great for P1. They may help with your icky feelings. You may not have been eating badly before you started, but maybe your bodies had been storing a lot of toxins...and what you're feeling is your body detoxing. I could just about guarantee that within the next week you should be feeling much better.

MarathonMom - Where are you getting those limits? Is that from FitDay?

I think it is telling you that proteins don't have a minimum, while veggies do. It's basically reminding you to eat those vegetables.

Marathon Mom
05-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Zeffryn - I am acutally getting them from the containers... I eat Giant's house brand of FF Ricotta Cheese and the Low Fat PB is from Fit Day... I double checked Smucker's webiste and it's pretty accurate - for 2 Tbs. it's 200 cal 6 grams of fat....

Whew...

Bobbiedoll03
05-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Hello Everyone, I started Phase I on Monday and I am actually doing pretty well.:carrot: I have found it hard to just cook for one person which means I always have tons of leftovers. My meals have looked something like this with slight variation...

B: 2 eggs and 2 pieces turkey bacon
S: L-F chedder cheese stick and 8 oz glass of V8
L: Taco Soup (which i am in LOVE with)
D: Lean meat and veggies..yesterday I had a lean pork chop and broccoli
S: S-F popsicle

If i need something sweet I grab a stick of S-f Gum...and If I need to chomp on something while I watch tv at night I grab Pistachios.

So far....yes, I weighed myself today...I have went from 220 to 214...this excited me and is keeping me on track.:D I am looking forward to finishing up Phase I but because I am moving to Cali May 26th I think I will stay on Phase I until I move to get a little more weight off and than I plan to go to Phase 2....thoughts?

tdiprincess
05-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Bobbie: That sounds pretty good, if you don't mind cottage cheese.. it is low fat, and 12g protein per serving.. Which is great for hunger!! Also, try adding some beans and MORE VEGGIES!!! breakfast you missed veggies, lunch you may have needed more and not sure about dinner. Veggies are very very important to fill up on. And try adding some beans. High in protein and you can do a lot with them...

Bobbiedoll03
05-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Tdiprincess: Thanks for the advice. I dread cottage cheese. I think its the texture, I just cant seem to eat it. I added black beans to the taco soup with turkey, onions, tomatoes, and peppers...I will start adding some veggies into my eggs though. Thanks so much. I thought I was doing something with the V8 drink and dinner but I will get more veggies in.

zeffryn
05-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Marathon Mom - I was talking about when you said :

Protein - unlimited, see list
Vetables - minimum 1/2 cup, see list
etc.

Just wondering if that was in an SBD book or something.

Also, am I the only one who makes taco soup and it turns into Chili?

BobbieDoll - You are so cute! Anyway, if you have a V-8 in the morning with breakfast, that is a serving or two of veggies - depeding on how much you have. I think 4 oz. is considered a serving of veggies.
You could try adding a snack in between lunch and dinner, and have it be some celery with a tablespoon or two of peanut butter (remember to only have 1-2 T. of total fat per day) or pepper strips with hummus....it will keep your blood sugar steady and get another serving or two of veggies in :)
Glad to have you around ;)

zeffryn
05-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Also, Bobbie - P1 is not super healthy to stay on for long periods of time. You may want to move to P1.5 like a lot of us are doing. It allows you to have some good carbs - 1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of grains a day, but will still keep the weightloss pretty steady. Your body needs those carbs to thrive!

What is taking you to CA?

tdiprincess
05-02-2008, 03:53 AM
bobbie: No problem. I'm just starting out and learned this too. The cottage cheese: I had strep throat this one time.. I got sick on cottage cheese. For many years I couldn't even touch the stuff. I started out here or there with a spoonful.. now I'm good on it. I add things to it. Right now I've been adding cinnamon and Splenda to it, making it my dessert..tastes like cinnamon toast witout all the bad stuff...
You'll get there and figure out what you like and what works for you :)

tdiprincess
05-02-2008, 04:07 AM
oh and I add a V8 once a day to boost the veggies a little bit, I put it with a snack. Otherwise, I cutt down my meal time veggies (no good) :D

Natalie'sMom
05-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Hi ladies! I have to say I peeked at the scale today too and was down 5 pounds! Woo hoo! I am really exciting and it is motivating! I plan to walk again today...it is our neighborhood garage sale.

Bobbi: Glad to see you're doing well too!

Zeffryn: I did make chili for dinner last night! :)

zeffryn
05-02-2008, 11:48 AM
I love garage sales! I'm going to look in the paper to see if I can find some neighborhood garage sales in this area.

Congrats on the 5 lbs!

Bobbiedoll03
05-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Hey Everyone thanks so much for all the advice.

Zeffryn: I think I will take your advice and do the Phase 1.5 when I finish Phase. Also, I am going to be completing an internship at UCR in their housing and reslife department. I am a graduate student studying higher ed and student affairs. I will also add the celery and some natural peanut butter between lunch and dinner...

Almost on week two...looking forward to more results..I plan to start walking on Sunday, I wanted my body to get used the change before I started adding exercise.

Marathon Mom
05-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Hi Chicks - Checking in... This week has been a bit of a stall for me. I think I was eating too much and telling myself it was okay because it was "on the list" - that combined with TOM raging hormones... I think the emotional/hormonal cravings are now gone, however the weight remains, and still no TOM. I am staying off the scale until TOM has come and gone.

Have a great weekend and everyone - thank you again for all of your support!

sweetlovin
05-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Good News: I'm down to 156 from 160! :)

Bad News: I have had the worse sweet tooth today! But I've stayed as close to the plan as possible by just treating myself to a ricotta cheese pancake when I came home and some coffee. and like 5 pieces of sugar free gum

For breakfast, I had two boiled eggs and nuts, then for snack, I had a cheese stick, and then for lunch i had a grilled vegetable and ham, with zuchinni and squash slices. Then I came home and has the pancake thing. Going to workout later.

plan to have chicken with lots of veggies tonight. so far not too bad but I need to follow the plan more strictly

I think I should stay away from nuts from a while. i've been having trouble staying with the serving size with them. Just for 2-3 days to make up for over eating them a bit.

Natalie'sMom
05-02-2008, 05:51 PM
I've been kinda munchy today too -- nothing bad, just a little hungrier. I really want a Friday afternoon beer, but I am going to resist! :giggle:

zeffryn
05-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Marathon Mom - I drive myself crazy when I get on the scale all the time. I've made it a goal to only get on it once a week. After awhile it isn't all that difficult to follow.

Speaking of TOM....none for me either. I've taken several pregnancy tests and nada. I'm 2 weeks late. This is the second time it has happened in the past few months. :(

Kim_Star060404
05-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Morning all! Just started Day 1 of Phase 1 and I forgot how much I need a good breakfast. (I'm the queen of skipping.) This is the first time I've ever started P1 on a Saturday, so I have a good feeling about this. I'm also starting (in a few minutes, actually) the new walking interval plan from the book. I'll do that through P1 and then switch back to the Firm when I move on to P2. I'm not at all looking for the whoosh of water weight that comes off for most people in P1. Being that I've done it so many times, I know that my loss will be minimal. What I'm looking forward to is the lack of cravings it creates as that's what the real important function of P1 is for me.

Well, just had to get in here and say hello. I look forward to getting to know everyone new and saying hello to old friends here. Here's to a great P1!!

happiness seeker
05-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi Chicks

I have more that fallen off the wagon - I recall some one saying something like jumping from the wagon and running in the opposite direction. I feel like that has been me. I know I need to stick to it. I feel like I just keep restarting and letting something derail me. My goal is to try and check in here daily to keep myself on track and really really use all the will power I possess to stick to the plan. I made spag squash tonight so I have lunch for tomorrow with some veggies. I need to stop at Giant and pick up some stuff tomorrow, but I have chicken thawing and That will give me 2 main meals to eat through out the week. I have a plan, now I just need to stick too it. Onward and upward.

Allyson

sweetlovin
05-04-2008, 09:52 PM
My goal is for the last 7 days of my phase to be perfect. Hopefully it goes okay. Wish me luck!

happiness seeker
05-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Good Luck Sweetlovin!!!

Bobbiedoll03
05-05-2008, 01:58 PM
hey everyone....sooo..I was really bad yesterday, I think I jumped off the wagon, I had some ice cream, but it made my stomach hurt so bad, so Ive learned my lesson. Today marks the beginning of week 2 Phase 1 for me and I am down from 220 to 214. Im vowing to be as close to perfect as possible this week...and I am looking forward to starting Phase 1.5. I have a question though for everyone, what do you normally do when you have a big craving for something sweet..it is the TOM for me, and I am a huge sweets craver and this s-f popsicle thing is not working!

murphmitch
05-05-2008, 02:47 PM
I make the Mocha Ricotta Creme dessert. It's sweet and chocolatey too. I have a friend who makes the Hot Cocoa recipe and she swears by it. Now that I'm on Phase II I have a SBD approved chocolate pudding cup.

Marathon Mom
05-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Denise, I say this with caution - because I got a little hooked on the "warm brownie" recipe during my TOM. It is very chocolatey and delicious. Perfect for a sweet craving...

(the recipe is on a sticky in the SBD Recipe section)

Kim_Star060404
05-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Hey everyone! Wish I could stop by more, but work is killing me! Day 4 of Phase 1 for me and still dealing with semi-cravings. The worst cheat I've had so far is eating an extra sf fudgesicle or two and having an iced coffee too many.

zeffryn
05-06-2008, 09:06 PM
hey everyone....sooo..I was really bad yesterday, I think I jumped off the wagon, I had some ice cream, but it made my stomach hurt so bad, so Ive learned my lesson. Today marks the beginning of week 2 Phase 1 for me and I am down from 220 to 214. Im vowing to be as close to perfect as possible this week...and I am looking forward to starting Phase 1.5. I have a question though for everyone, what do you normally do when you have a big craving for something sweet..it is the TOM for me, and I am a huge sweets craver and this s-f popsicle thing is not working!

I really like some of the ricotta desserts. You can have sugar free cocoa powder and peanut butter (limited amounts)....try experimenting!

Also, that warm brownie is really good.

P1 was really helpful in knocking out my sweets cravings. I used to crave and crave at night, but I haven't in a month or more.

:) Good luck.

sweetlovin
05-06-2008, 09:34 PM
I thought this would be a good idea for me to keep in track of my eating so if anyone wants to join in, that would be great.

I'm planning to go on phase 1 for another two weeks (because last week was more like phase 1.5 and I really want to read the book and do it correctly).

Anyway everyone can post there day by day eating to keep accountable for everything that they put into their mouths. That way, we don't have an excuse to cheat on this strict phase of South Beach Diet.

So post what day your on and what you plan to eat, and what you actually eat.

I hope this works out! :)

sweetlovin
05-06-2008, 09:37 PM
O Kay I'm starting another two weeks Wednesday.

THURSDAY PREPLANNED:

Breakfast-

1 fried egg with two slices of turkey bacon. Glass of Skim Milk

Snack-
sliced zucchini

Lunch-
Piece of Chicken Breast
Sliced up Eggplant

Snack
String Cheese

Dinner-
fish and lots of veggies
Cup of Skim Milk

Dessert- Sugar free gum

What I actually ate THURSDAY:

will update later..

zeffryn
05-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Hrm --

I'm doing a P 1.5

For breakfast, I had some scrambled egg whites with 1/2 wedge of laughing cow cheese. Some sauteed asparagus and a half cup of blueberries. Coffee with a touch of skim milk and a little sugar free syrup to drink

Snack - didn't quite get around to it - had a late breakfast around 9 like usual. Lunch is about 3.5 hours later.

lunch - tuna with red onion, capers and one tablespoon of reduced fat mayo in a ww pita half. broccoli on the side. Water to drink.

snack - water with SBD protein drink mix.

dinner - summer chicken chili - onions, bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes and celery in the soup. A little l/f cheddar and red onion on top. Water to drink.

dessert - nothing. Yay! I'm not craving! Although I may have a s/f fudgesicle later when DH gets home. Or maybe some yogurt, I need more dairy today.

st2826
05-07-2008, 01:57 AM
I'm on phase 1, i started on monday.

Monday
B/f=2 ham, cucumber & cream cheese roll ups
Snack=big chunk of cucumber with a little blob of cream cheese
Lunch=2 ham,onion & lf cheese "muffins"
Snack=sunflower seeds & chickpeas
Dinner=greek meatballs,greek salad & tatziki

Tuesday
B/f=2 curried devilled eggs
Snack=sunflower seeds & chickpeas
Lunch=2 turkey,tomato & lf cheese "muffins"
Snack=cottage cheese & salad
Dinner=stuffed peppers,greek salad,tatziki & guacamole

What i'm intending to eat today:
B/f=sunflower seeds & chickpeas
Snack=1 ham,onion & lf cheese "muffin",1 turkey,tomato & lf cheese "muffin"
Lunch=cottage cheese,salad & turkey
Snack=not sure yet
Dinner=chicken,broccoli & cauliflower bake in a cream cheese mustard sauce

Marathon Mom
05-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Okay.. looking at everyones menus.. I feel like the girl in the "lean cuisine?" commercial who ate 17 peanuts and some left over gum in her purse for dinner....

I'm a perpetual snacker... I feel I never eat a "MEAL"

Yesterday

Breakfast - 1c Plain FF yogurt w/ cinnamon and splenda

Snack - LF frigo cheese stick (these do nothing for me... )

Lunch - Babaganoush w/ Snowpeas and 10 Grape Tomatos

Dinner - Can of tuna w/ balsamic vinegar and 1c FF Plain Yogurt

Snack - Warm brownie (SBD Recipe)

Today

Breakfast - Cheese w/ Eggs (no veg...:(

Forgot to pack a snack...

Lunch - Boca burger w/ lots of peppers/onions/spinach

Prospective Dinner - Salmon w/ Veggie Salad

Critique? Anyone? :)

My weight is good... And I feel great..

murphmitch
05-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Today

Breakfast - Cheese w/ Eggs (no veg...:(

Forgot to pack a snack...

Lunch - Boca burger w/ lots of peppers/onions/spinach

Prospective Dinner - Salmon w/ Veggie Salad

Critique? Anyone? :)

My weight is good... And I feel great..

I'd have more dairy, either FF plain yogurt or milk.

Marathon Mom
05-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Question - If you are doing Phase 1 properly.. Should you have cravings for chocolates/sweets??

sweetlovin
05-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Friday:

B/F: 2 fried eggs with ham w/ glass of milk
Lunch: Grilled Chicken and sliced zuchinni, celery
Dinner: Fish and spinach w/ glass of milk

Didn't really feel like snacking today. May have dessert.

sweetlovin
05-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Question - If you are doing Phase 1 properly.. Should you have cravings for chocolates/sweets??

The first couple days, you do have cravings. If your eating too much splenda or having caf. coffee, that could play a role too.

happiness seeker
05-09-2008, 07:01 PM
The cravings are sometimes psychological as well. They do decrease over time. Phase one is the hardest part in my opinion.

TwynnB
05-10-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm really happy how things are going, today was day #5. I'm doing Phase 1.25 (only strawberries outside of phase I; made me feel better the first couple days)

Today:
Brkfst: turkey roll up with/ LF cream cheese, sm slices onion, cucumber and red pepper (whomever posted the roll ups for breakfast - thanks!!!)
Lunch: leftovers - grilled cheeseburger (obviously, no bun!), boiled cabbage, and yellow squash/onion saute (YUM!!!!)
Snack: Strawberries
Snack: Pistachios
Supper: revised taco bake (thanks!!!...made mine w/black beans instead); had small shredded salad (romaine/tomato/LF sour cream)
only water to drink.

Stunningly, I have had NO urges to cheat this week. None. Zippo. YEEHAW! I think it's mostly my frame of mind, I don't even let myself consider it as an option. But I'm kinda at that carb-o-phobe stage!!

beachflower721
05-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Today was my first day of Phase 1.

- Breakfast: 2 eggs + 1 egg white omelette, with lowfat cheddar cheese, 2 slices Canadian bacon, 1/4 cup lowfat cottage cheese
- Snack: 1 part-skim mozzarella cheese stick
- Lunch: Salad with 15 almonds and homemade salad dressing (lemon juice, mustard, a touch of olive oil and a pinch of Splenda to curb the bitterness). 1 mini Babybel cheese
- Dinner: Grilled chicken breast with a mix of bell peppers & onions, topped with lowfat cheddar. Salad with more of the homemade dressing, cucumbers, and roasted red pepper
- Snack: 2 tbsp. natural PB with 2 tbsp. Cool Whip Free and a pinch of unsweetened cocoa powder.

Not too bad for the first day -- I am disappointed that I didn't eat more veggies, though. I have to work on that. I also realize that I ate two servings of nuts/fat...not ideal, but I was really craving something sweet for an after dinner treat and the dessert that I ate was the only thing that I had on hand that would curb it.

All in all, I feel great today -- surprisingly, there was never a time today when I was very hungry...I always felt full and satisfied. Another shocker was that I didn't really crave any carbs...even at dinner when there was couscous and sliced bread on the table...normally I would have been all over both of those items ;)

ImTheBossOfMe
05-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi
I came by this website looking for recipes and decided to browse around. I started Phase 1 on May 1 and so far so good. I don't have a scale so I can't measure that way, but I do have a tape measure and have been seeing the numbers on the tape get smaller. Also, I've tried on some clothes which were snug and are now fitting better. I think I probably have about 30 pounds or so to take off to get back to my "fighting weight".

I really want to tell a story to let go of some pent up jealousy. Here goes:

I live in south Florida and it's quite hot and humid today. I live in the bottom floor condo which is right next to the swimming pool. Where I live in Florida there are a lot of international yacht crew who have to spend time here for one reason or another (I do freelance work on yachts). Currently there is a crew from Australia who are living above me for a month or so while their yacht is being worked on. And as I write this, there are two twenty something tanned and gazelle-like Aussie girls frolicking about in the pool as I sit and try to plan my weekly menu. They're drinking beer (looks like Newcastle) and eating wavy bbq Lays. Oh, and wearing tiny bikinis.
I'm pretty sure I hate them.:barf:

sweetlovin
05-11-2008, 07:58 PM
^ lol I know what you mean. I'm in highschool and all my friends wear the shortest shorts with tanktops to school and it's so unfair because it seems like EVERY ONE has these nice toned legs that I don't have. Even if I did lose the weight, my legs have weird scars on them and they are oddly shaped.

Hmm today

Breakfast- Chicken/mushroom roasted in oven with two cups of coffee

snack- celery and peanut butter

lunch: Chicken with green beans

Dinner: Crab meat, squash slices, and mushrooms served with broccoli steamed

tommorrow im making a salad with my left over dinner for lunch.

OUgrl
05-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Hello everyone! I am really excited to get started on this phase of my life. I have gradually gained about 25 lbs. over the last 3-4 years. I am now at the point where i see it in my face, feel it in everything I wear, it's miserable. I stepped on the scale this weekend and was shocked that I had gained ten pounds in the last 6 mos. I am a full time nursing student and have neglected any type of exercise or nutrition over the last two semesters. I am ready though. I want my old body and confidence back! Please lend any pointers you may have to help me get through this!! My husband is also doing it. My "ideal" weight says I should be around 105, which i haven't been since junior high school probably. So I'm shooting for 125-130 which leaves 50 lbs to lose. Can't wait!! Tuesday (tomorrow) is our first day, going grocery shopping tonight! Wish me Luck!! :)

beachflower721
05-12-2008, 09:05 PM
I love this diet! I began this past Saturday (so today is my 3rd day being OP) and I'm already down 7.5 pounds! Granted, I know a lot of this weight loss is the result of me eating terribly last week -- I pretty much ate whatever I wanted for a week (I am usually good about monitoring what I put in my mouth) and this is my body's way of bouncing back. Also, my weight tends to fluctuate a lot all the time...but I am still thrilled nonetheless :)

Edited to add today's menu:

- Breakfast: 1 serving of the mock Belgian Waffle recipe (it's located in the Phase 1 Breakfast ideas section of this forum...it was DELICIOUS! :)) with sugar free maple syrup
- Snack: 1 part skim cheese stick
- Lunch: Grilled chicken breast with garlic, artichoke hearts, and herbed goat cheese
- Dinner: Lettuce with grilled chicken, LF cheddar, cucumbers, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, turkey bacon, and FF balsamic salad dressing

For dessert I'm planning on making either the Peanut Butter cookies or the Cheesecake...both recipes I saw on this forum.

sweetlovin
05-13-2008, 12:02 AM
Today was good.

Breakfast: Eggs with chicken
Lunch: Lobster meat salad with grilled squash w/ milk
snack- grilled zuchinni/squash with a slice of extra lean turkey bacon
Dinner- I had a lot for dinner! like two bowls of beans/legumes/crab soup type of thing. it had a couple of peices of pork inside. It was like a crab gumbo. My mom's signature dish.

I exercised loads today. 2.5 hours. whoo! I don't know why I would cheat on this plan. Today wasn't bad at all.

I also drunk a lot of water. I think it must have been 5-6 20oz bottles. lost count

pattygirl63
05-13-2008, 01:00 AM
OUgrl and beachflower, we are starting about the same time. Good luck on your journey. This was my second day and it was as good as the 1st. I am really enjoying it. It is so nice not to have the craving for sweets etc any more.

I do have one question for some of you who have done this a while. I'll be doing to the exercising slowly because of my knee and hip, but I remember reading on here that you shouldn't exercise the first week. Is that still the rule of thumb? I am still reading the new Supercharge book and I've not gotten that far. However, the little bit I have read so far where he talks about how he changed peoples exercises makes me ready to get started with it if it is okay. Of course, if it is better to wait then I will.

jandaman
05-13-2008, 06:33 AM
ola chicas!

room for one more? will be restarting p1 soon (as soon as i get my larder and fridge stocked)and am actually looking forward to it, as i got good results last time.and the recipes here are da bomb! (breakfast cheesecake, anyone?)

pattygirl: i usually do not exercise during p1 because the body is really under a lot of stress w/the food detox etc. i would say it's better to conserve ur energy now and hit the gym on p2.

cheers!
jan

sweetlovin
05-13-2008, 11:22 AM
^ For me, personally, exercising definitely keeps me on track for a few reasons

- It fills me up. (after i exercise, i have no appetite so smaller portions)
- It causes me to drink a crapload of water
- Stops me from "boredom eating"
- And keeps me away from the kitchen for an hour or so.

It's a choice i guess

catmalvo
05-13-2008, 12:24 PM
We can have yogurt on Phase one?

Hi I am starting again too! I am in my second week of Phase 1; (Actually today is my last day, but I will continue on 1 for a few more days. So far I am down 6 pounds.

I'm restarting today. Made the trip to the store on the way into work for my yogurt, celery and hummus. I also got smart and bought a 1L bottle of water - which I'll refill, just so its easier to keep track of my water consumption.

Wish me Luck!!!

Marathon Mom
05-13-2008, 01:20 PM
I think you can have Yogurt on phase 1 as long as it is plain or sugar-free low-fat or fat-free yogurt....

beachflower721
05-13-2008, 01:29 PM
OUgrl and beachflower, we are starting about the same time. Good luck on your journey. This was my second day and it was as good as the 1st. I am really enjoying it. It is so nice not to have the craving for sweets etc any more.

I do have one question for some of you who have done this a while. I'll be doing to the exercising slowly because of my knee and hip, but I remember reading on here that you shouldn't exercise the first week. Is that still the rule of thumb? I am still reading the new Supercharge book and I've not gotten that far. However, the little bit I have read so far where he talks about how he changed peoples exercises makes me ready to get started with it if it is okay. Of course, if it is better to wait then I will.

Good luck to you too! :)

pattygirl63
05-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi Jan, Cat and Sweetlovin. Thanks for the advice about exercise. I think I will spend this week getting the food going well and just be more active and then start exercising next week. Hopefully I will be finished or near finished with the book by then. Have a nice day.

sweetlovin
05-13-2008, 05:48 PM
I ate dinner at 3:30 today. =o Not planning to eat after exercising later this evening.

B- Egg omelette with fried zucchinis slices and two slices of turkey bacon
L- I had a salad that had turkey bacon, salad, and zucchinis, but it didn't taste good at all, so I only ate half. Then i had a serving of nuts
D- Leftover dinner. (meat and legumes with bean sauce)

I really want something sweet so I may have a celery stick stuffed with peanut butter. I know it's a second serving of nuts but I really want something sweet

zeffryn
05-13-2008, 06:02 PM
sweetlovin - have you tried the ricotta cremes? There are tons of variations of them and they definitely hit the sweet spot. Also, the peanut butter cup recipe is fantastic. I cut the amount of peanut butter down to about a teaspoon if I've already had some nuts during the day.

beachflower721
05-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Today's menu:

- Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with broccoli, LF cheddar, and 1 piece of Canadian Bacon
- Snack: 1 part skim Mozzarella cheese stick
- Lunch: 1/2 zucchini, grilled. 1 very small piece of Tofu (I was in a rush and didn't really have time to eat a full lunch)
- Snack: 1 Grande skinny iced mocha from Starbucks
- Dinner: 1.5 grilled chicken breasts topped with roasted peppers and FF balsamic dressing, mixed veggies (broccoli and peppers), and salad with cucumbers

Dessert is still up in the air...will probably be a mock PB cup or ricotta cream.

Sweetlovin - for sweet treats, I'd peruse the Phase 1 Desserts section of this message board -- I've found some great ideas there. Also, the mock PB cup that I make is very good. I just take 2 TBSP of natural PB, mix that with 2 TBSP of fat free Cool Whip, and a little unsweetened cocoa powder, to taste. If you have sugar free fudgesicles on hand, you could use that instead of the cocoa powder.

zeffryn
05-13-2008, 09:27 PM
breakfast was 1 slice of ww bread with 1 teaspoon ff cream cheese, cinnamon and 5 super thin slices of green apple.

lunch was egg salad, celery and bell pepper strips.

snack was half a green apple and some lf cheese cubes

dinner was tomato soup, half a grilled cheese with ww bread, lf cheese and smart balance. Also broccoli and edamame.

dessert - not so sure. Maybe some ricotta....I'm not really hungry right now, so I guess we'll see what the night brings.

sweetlovin
05-13-2008, 09:50 PM
^ Are you on phase 2?

zeffryn
05-13-2008, 10:02 PM
yeah. I started posting in here because I was doing P1 for a few days after a slip-up. I guess I just kept posting in here.

pattygirl63
05-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Well, today we went out to eat at Ryan's and I had a planned "off plan" meal. I got a baked chicken breast and tried to eat it, but it was too dry so I ate most of a chicken leg that I took the skin and batter off of. I had a very good salad with a little bit of FF dressing and broccoli spears. The off plan part was the slice of carrot cake I had for dessert which is my favorite and I only eat it when we go to Ryan's which isn't all that often. I got right back OP at snack time. We went to Wal-Mart and stocked up on all the foods that I need to be 100% on P1 of the new book. Been drinking a lot of water and green tea so haven't had much room for much food since I got home.

Marathon Mom
05-14-2008, 01:38 PM
The first couple days, you do have cravings. If your eating too much splenda or having caf. coffee, that could play a role too.

Sweetlovin - thank you so much for your input. I have cut back on the splenda (one packet a day) and continue to drink my 2 cups of heaven (aka coffee) in the morning and that has definitely worked!

I've also decided to not have any sweet snacks during the day and only eat them after dinner at night if I need one. That has also helped me not have any cravings...

Thanks everyone!! Your posts are so helpful ~ :hug::carrot::hug:

pattygirl63
05-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Just checking in to say hi. This is my 4th day, but my 1st day 100% since I bought the new book and started reading it. I noticed you can do the exercise Phase 1 with the Phase 1 diet so I started that today as well. I am using my stationary bike and can't do the 20 minutes yet, but will build up to it. The nice thing is that the cravings have gone and I haven't eaten as much as I normally would because I'm not hungry. So that is really great news to me. I hope everyone else who started about the same time with me is enjoying this as much as I am.

beachflower721
05-15-2008, 03:43 PM
- Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with LF ham and mozzarella
- Lunch: stir fry of tofu, scallions, garlic, and soy sauce
- Snack: Will be a free small iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts in a few minutes (make sure to get your free ones today :))
- Dinner: Will be Roman Style chicken...boneless skinless chicken breast cooked with garlic, bell peppers, diced tomatoes, capers, parsley, oregano, thyme, and chicken stock

zeffryn
05-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Beachflower - good luck enduring that line.Even in the pouring rain, a friend of mine stopped by to get her free drink and said the line wrapped around the building. Forget that. :)

beachflower721
05-16-2008, 01:52 AM
Beachflower - good luck enduring that line.Even in the pouring rain, a friend of mine stopped by to get her free drink and said the line wrapped around the building. Forget that. :)

I drove by one of the Dunkin Donuts' that's near my house (there's 3 that are really close...perfect condition to be on the South Beach Diet :dizzy:) and it was absolute madness...I said no way to that. Then I decided to drive just up the road a bit to one of the other ones, and luckily it was completely empty! Probably has to do with the fact that it's on the side of a rather busy street and is kind of difficult to get out of. I lucked out though :carrot:

zeffryn
05-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Wow, you lucked out! I wanted to go, but I didn't want to endure the street flooding. Ours had gone down quite a bit, but in other parts of town it was still pretty high!

I <3 Dunkin' Donuts coffee drinks! The very berry merry is so good even when it's made sbd friendly!

Soon2bJWeave
05-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi! This is my first full day of Phase 1. Last night for dinner I decided to start the SBD because I've just been having so much trouble losing weight lately.

Breakfast: Turkey patty with tomatoes and feta

Snack: Sugar Free Jello

Lunch: Salad, 3oz. of Salmon, Balsamic Vinegar, String Cheese, Sugar Free Jello

Snack: String Cheese

Dinner: Still not sure, probably a salad, chicken breast and balsamic vinegar.

Dessert: Sugar Free Popsicle

I look forward to getting to know all of you and using this site to keep myself on track! :)

Ruthxxx
05-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Closed this thread. Please join the new thread called Phase I Starters/Restarters - May 18 and Onwards.