20-Somethings - Being thin vs. not wanting to be fat

utgirl09
04-20-2008, 01:07 PM
I saw this question posed on The View and I thought it was really interesting. It was when someone decides to lose weight, is it because they want to be thin or do they not want to be fat. I had never really though of it that way before, but I guess everyone has a different reason. If you don't want to be fat, you are running away from something, and if you want to be thin you are running toward something.

For me I think the main reason is I do not want to be fat anymore. I want to walk into a regular store and be able to fit in all the clothes without walking into the plus size department.. My eventual goal is to fit into a size 6 or 8. I am 21, 5' 6" and never have had any children, so I figure it is realistic.

My mom says when she was in college, she weighed 110, but wore a size 10. I cannot see someone who weighs 110 wearing a size 10. That was in the late 60s. Does anyone know if clothing sizes have really change that much in the last 40 years? Any thoughts on not wanting to be fat vs. being thin?

ShadesofGray
04-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Clothing sizes really have changed since the 60's - based on what my mom says, 6's back then are more like 10's now.

Also, I am the same height as you, and I can wear 8's around 150-155, and 6's around 140-145. I know body sizes and types vary quite a bit, but that's just to let you see around what weight you might want to plan your goal.

I think I want both - not to be fat and to be thin. I don't need to be super skinny though, I just want to feel like I'm not self conscious about certain parts of my body. I am really trying to work on healthy eating habits for life, not just for a diet.

Glory87
04-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Clothing sizes have definitely changed in the 20 years since I was in high school. I wear a size 6 now, but it's pretty equivalent to a size 10 from my high school days. I am 5'7" and a size 6 and I think it's a great size! I feel pretty and slender in clothes.

rockstar87
04-20-2008, 01:53 PM
There's this I Love Lucy episode where Lucy tries to starve herself so she can fit into a size 12 dance costume. That was in the 50s. Anyone who's ever seen pictures of Lucille Ball knows she was no where near a size 12 nowadays (yeah I'm a nerd, my mum got me hooked on the reruns as a kid). Also, could you imagine any dancer today being a size 12?

Your goal sounds great and very realistic. I think that is an interesting question. I guess I more want to be thin, than not want to be fat. I never had to go into plus sizes even at my highest weight and I technically could wear anything my friends wore - it just would look awful! Hahaha. I don't think I'm being that restricted by the excess weight I carry but I don't like it. I don't want it there and I don't need it there for several reasons. I'd love to fit in a size 4/6 and be completely toned. I like my muscles :)

aerogora
04-20-2008, 03:26 PM
I hate it that some brands I can wear a 14 and other brands I have to get a 17. It drives me nuts. It would make things easier if all brands had to follow the same size "rules".

nineteen
04-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Yes, that would be great!

Lyria
04-20-2008, 11:10 PM
I wanted to be thin and then I wanted to be healthy and now I want to remain fit and strong.

What I wanted changed with the amount of research and reading I did into healthy foods and lifestyles.

When I just wanted to be thin I dropped to 110 pounds - I'm 5'6 and was an Aussie 6-8 (US 2-4) - could never drop below that size because of my hip bones. Just about damn near killed myself trying to become "thin"

Anyways...thats what then prompted the wanting to be healthy and fit and so now I am a lean, strong size 8-10 (US 4-6) at about 138 pounds.

taragettingthin
04-21-2008, 02:49 AM
Clothing sizes really have changed since the 60's - based on what my mom says, 6's back then are more like 10's now.

I'm little bit confused... Did you mean to say 10's back then are more like 6's now? :D

This is the same for Korea too. My mom has a skirt from when she was about my age(20's). It has to be about size 2 if not smaller. But that was actually about US size 8 in Korea back then. (70's).

For me, I think wanting to be thin is stronger than not wanting to be fat, although that is also true. =)

amouse
04-21-2008, 03:45 AM
not wanting to be fat .. i never wanted to be thin either lol .. i just want to be curvy and nice about a 12 -14 would be fine even 16 .. in some brands..
I want to feel normal.. not thin not fat just normal.. :) not perfect either ,just comfortable in myself

griffogrubb
04-21-2008, 08:32 AM
I don't think I ever really ran away from being fat or wanted to be skinny, I just wanted to get healthy. I mean, I was 17 and almost morbidly obese and already had high blood pressure, bad joints, high cholesterol and on and on. I wanted to get away from all of that while I still could, I wanted to change so I could live a longer, more fulfilling life.

PinkyPie
04-21-2008, 08:53 AM
I have never wanted to be "thin" or "skinny" I just wanted to be "normal" and "fit". At the moment I would like to be "hot" and "stunning" ;) But "thin" is not what I'm going for. At one point I actually weighed around 148lbs and I looked like death warmed over. I accept my body is shaped the way it is, but a few enhancements don't hurt :)

AmandaD
04-21-2008, 09:05 AM
It is interesting reading everyone's responses to this question. It shows the uniqueness of everyone.

Personally, I just wanted to get back to the athletic healthy person I once was in high school. Also, I didn't want to be fat and continue on with health problems that were rearing it's ugly head.

KforKitty
04-21-2008, 11:11 AM
I've never thought I wanted to be thin, just not fat. I'm not a 20-something btw so adding an 'old' person's perspective here. When I was in my early 20s I mistook my curvy figure as being 'fat'. Most of my friends were 'thin' and I was the odd one out. Looking back now I realise that I just had a more 'womanly' figure before most of my friends. Back then I was not happy at 140-150lbs. Now having been as high as 290 I realise that I was actually well proportioned back then so my goal now is definitely just to be 'not fat' and for me I think I'll achieve that at around a size 12.

Kitty

MCheyenne6
04-21-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't want to be thin, I just want to be average and not huge. I have the right curves in the right places, I just need to slim down so my hourglass looks like an hourglass and not like a bottle of soy sauce.

I know how you feel about wanting to fit into normal clothes, not having to shop plus. I dream of that every night. No doubt it can happen.... ever see I can make you thin??

utgirl09
04-21-2008, 02:17 PM
I also do agree with what most of you are saying. The most important thing for me is to get healthy and fit. Yes, it is true that I am tired of being fat, but I really just want to be healthy. Luckily I do not have any health problems now, but if I continue down the path I was on I am sure that health issues would start to be a problem.

As far as the pants size changing, my mom managed to find a pair of her old size 10s. They would be a size 2 or 4 now.

Thousandsunny
04-21-2008, 10:11 PM
There's this I Love Lucy episode where Lucy tries to starve herself so she can fit into a size 12 dance costume. That was in the 50s. Anyone who's ever seen pictures of Lucille Ball knows she was no where near a size 12 nowadays (yeah I'm a nerd, my mum got me hooked on the reruns as a kid). Also, could you imagine any dancer today being a size 12?

This is really interesting because of how true it is. Dress sizes must have been different because Marylin Monroe was a 12 dress size and an 8 pant, being 118lbs at 5'5". Even at Monroe's heaviest charted weight of 140 would keep her around a 12 dress. Snopes.com's page about Monroe goes on to explain (and this is certainly not fact, just a cool explanation)

# The standards for women's dress sizes have not remained constant over the years; they have changed as the size and shape of the average woman has changed. (Clothing manufacturers assume most women don't want to wear clothing of a size identified as "Large," for example, so they adjust their sizing so that the average-sized woman takes a "Medium." If the size of the average woman has increased a bit over the years, then the very same size that was a "Large" fifty years ago might be a "Medium" today. This is sort of what has happened to women's dress sizes since the 1940s: a woman who weighs more now than she did twenty years ago might actually be wearing a smaller dress size today.)

I'm right with you on the reruns, though. They rule.

But, I have to say, I knew plenty of dancers at my college who wore a 12 because they had leg muscles like tree trunks!

To add my input, I want to be "not fat" rather than "thin" because I want to just be healthy. If I feel great at 180 and that's "not thin" to some people, pfft I'm fine with it!

MadameZombie
04-22-2008, 10:17 AM
I would love to just be able to buy jeans and not have muffin top.

carolineintx
04-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Yeah, my goal is to look and feel healthy, so I guess 'not fat' is really what I'm going for, thin would be great, but honestly I want to have muscles and curves, not look like a waif. Its funny, I think when I first started losing weight my health was the least of my worries, I just wanted to be skinny. The more I lose the more my priorities shift.

prepping
04-22-2008, 11:03 AM
I have to admit that I straight out wanna be thin. Or I want to be what supermodels consider fat -- that'd be a pleasant place too.

...but thin with muscles and all the curves in the right places.....
... and a killer buttocks. :D

Anyone seen Salma Hayek in "From Dusk Till Dawn"? Ya, like that.

amy180
04-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Yeah, a while back I looked up "vanity sizing" and all sorts of stuff on changing clothing sizing, interesting stuff.

I'd like to get back to where I was in high school, pretty much. I know it's possible because I did it once before. More than anything, I'd like to lose my health problems (which have diminished since I've lost about 30 lbs, but not totally). I have a closet full of smaller clothes I'd like to wear.

I miss having curves in the right places, also. ^_^

LaurieDawn
04-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Just wanted to vent my frustration with the clothing sizes as well. I went shopping last Saturday, and I always have to take at least three sizes with me into the dressing room because I have no idea what will fit. I ended up buying: size 10 jeans that are very loose, a size 0/2 top, a size 8 jacket. I couldn't fit into the size 12 slacks that I loved. Granted, my body shape is odd, since my butt is so huge that I have never found pants that fit there nicely that weren't swimming around the waist. Still, it's frustrating that a size 8 seems to fit my upper body as well as a size 0/2 - at the same store. No matter how much I would like to believe it, I am absolutely not a size 0/2. And even though I recognize that my butt is disproportionately huge, it's frustrating not to be able to fit into a size 12 on the bottom when I can fit into a size 0/2 on top.

Okay. Sorry about the rant. I just HATE the inconsistency of women's clothing sizes.

twentysixpoint2
04-23-2008, 11:09 AM
I've always been in good shape, even when really big, so it's definitely not a health thing (although less weight to drag around running would be nice). It's not wanting to be "not fat" really, either. I'm vain and I want to be hot, I admit it. Whether or not that's going to happen, I'm not sure. Getting really skinny takes a lot of effort and the focus of most of my attention, but I know it can be done.

Matilda08
04-23-2008, 05:48 PM
I dont want to be thin never have......all I want is to be able to look good to myself when I look in the miror! I have always been a pretty shapely lady so if I drop 50lbs with my thick figure I would be ok. I know I don't want to be below 180lbs I have always carried my weight pretty well so me being down 50lbs will probably look as if I lost 80...lol

Shy Moment
04-23-2008, 05:52 PM
I have no desire to be thin. I want to be in shape. There is a difference.

NoVaVTFan
04-26-2008, 10:58 PM
I don't want to be fat. I have never been thin, and I have to say, if "thin" and "skinny" are near the same thing, I don't want to either - I would rather be healthy, average, normal looking. When I think of the words "thin" or skinny" I think about a couple of girls I work with that must be 100-105 pounds, and they are SKINNY - and I honestly don't think they are very attractive. One girl is so skinny she looks like she is going to break in half at any minute. I would rather be healthy-looking. There is one girl I work with who I think looks great - she runs races/marathons, and she just looks healthy and normal.

I don't want to be fat either though - I've done that and I don't like it. Another reason I don't want to be skinny is that I like having curves - clothes seem to fit and look better with curves, plus my fiancee likes the curves.

Lovely
04-27-2008, 01:34 AM
I actually had to think about this.

I believe I began with the idea of being "not fat" anymore. Just to get away from where I was & where I was heading. But, now... I dunno maybe it's the same, but I'm looking forward to being thinner and healthier ... and more fit. Perhaps that's wanting to "be thin".

Arian
04-27-2008, 10:34 AM
I don't want to be thin. I want to be able to go rock climbing next summer with my fiance instead of sitting at the bottom of the clif, and to be able to hike with him without falling over every 2 miles!

blondebombshell
04-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Oh man. LOVE THIS QUESTION!!!

Its something I try to explain to people and they just dont get it. I have no desire to be thin. The thought of my bones poking around everywhere sickens me. Yucky. I LOVE CURVES!!! I love that I have a small waist.... now.... my spare tire, not so much. (People ACTUALLY ask me if I"m pregnant because I gain it ALL in my middle :*( ) But also, I have a different perception of what is beautiful. I dont like muscles on women. I think it looks yucky. I dont six pack abs or veins bulging when I flex! LoL. Jordin Sparks, I think, has a GORGEOUS body.

But to the clothing sizes. I hear the excuse a lot "Yeah, well, Marilyn Monroe was a size 14!" ..... back then... a size 14 is relatively today's size 10 ish. Maybe 8. Still... by modeling "standards" that still qualifies as a "plus size" model. (booooooooo modeling industry!)

olguitha
04-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Oh man. LOVE THIS QUESTION!!!

Its something I try to explain to people and they just dont get it. I have no desire to be thin. The thought of my bones poking around everywhere sickens me. Yucky. I LOVE CURVES!!! I love that I have a small waist.... now.... my spare tire, not so much. (People ACTUALLY ask me if I"m pregnant because I gain it ALL in my middle :*( ) But also, I have a different perception of what is beautiful. I dont like muscles on women. I think it looks yucky. I dont six pack abs or veins bulging when I flex! LoL. Jordin Sparks, I think, has a GORGEOUS body.

that hapenns to me a lot!!!
it's so aweful!

freethetoys
04-29-2008, 04:07 PM
I think i want to be happy.
Although i have already lost nearly 4.5 stone im not where i want to be. I still look down at my legs and see them as repulsive. I want to feel like i look after my body, and the results from that will hopefully speak for themselves.
I was happy weighin 240lbs at one point, but when i realised i wasnt happy i decided to change it.
I also dont want to be thin, its not who i am, and i dont want that. i love my curves, it makes me a bit different to other girls. so yeh happiness.....thats what everyone should strive for!

sunflowergirl68
04-30-2008, 03:45 AM
I just want to look like women my age. I turn 23 in a month and I just feel like I am missing out on being fit and young. I'm definitely in the minority by being overweight and 23 and I'm just not that happy with it. Luckily my boyfriend wants to get fit too so once we start living together in July we're going to work out like every day.

denialisnthappiness
04-30-2008, 03:53 AM
I want to be lean and toned. To me that equates to fit and healthy.

For so long I've done damage to my body (some irreperable) but over the past year and a half I've come to realise what my body is capable of. It may hurt (in a good way) to work so hard but it's so worth it and the feeling I get afterwards doesn't even come close to food :)