General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-17-2008, 08:54 PM   #1  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Default Lasik Eye Surgery... has anyone here had it ?

Hi, i'm floating the idea of getting Lasik eye surgery as a gift to myself at goal... Has anyone had it ? I would love to hear your experiences... good and bad.
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #2  
TBL Black Team Member

S/C/G: 253/237/153

Height: 5'8"

I had Custom Lasik done in August of 2007. I have nothing but great stuff to say about it. The whole procedure took 30 seconds per eye, no pain, no side effects. The drops were kind of a pain in the butt (every hour) but it's only for a week. I was nearsighted with severe astigmatism before lasik, now I have no prescription and my vision is 15/20 (better than 20/20) I can see the bottom line on an eye chart. I would recommend it to anyone, it's amazing. If you have any questions, drop me a pm, I'd be happy to chat.
Halichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Sounds like your distance vision is great. How is your close-up or reading vision?

Did youhave to do the eye drops every hour at night as well?

Do you have any weird visual effects, especially at night, such as halos or fogging?
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #4  
TBL Black Team Member

S/C/G: 253/237/153

My up close vision is perfect as well. My optometrist told me that I have no prescription at all, not even a little bit. There were 3 different kinds of drops, anti inflammatory, antibiotic, and moisture drops. The first 2 were 2-3 times a day, the moisture ones were every hour, or more if my eyes were feeling dry. I didn't have to do anything at night, just wear eye shields for the first few days so I didn't rub my eyes in my sleep. I didn't have any problems with dryness, soreness, etc. I did have some halos for a few months but they're pretty much gone now.
Halichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 157/147/125

Height: 5' 4.5"

Thumbs up Great!!

My mom had lasik about 3 years ago and she LOVES it! She went from having contacts and glasses for over forty years with a vision of about -750 in each eye to 20/20. Can't get any better than that! She keeps encouraging the rest of my family to get it as well.
angccat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:44 AM   #6  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

I have thought about this myself until I did some research. Like everything there are risks, and I wanted to know the risks. I found too many sites talking about lasik lawsuits, research on long term effects of later life blindness (research done at Oxford and Otago (NZ) universities), problems not occuring until 1-2 years after surgery, vitreous detachment (Frankfert university) among others. Basically the biggest problem is that the medical industry really isn't going to know alot of the effects for another 10-15 years.

It has made me re-think it, I had only heard good things from people that had experienced it but I am a scientist so it is in me to go and hunt up as much info as possible. To me the possibility of messing up with my eyesight made me say nope.
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I just had an appointment to see if I qualify and I do. So probably at the end of this year, after my season is over, I"ll get it done.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #8  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Thumbs up Getting it soon!

I'm getting it on May 12th at Laservue in Montreal! I did a ton of research and I feel comfortable with their skill and experience, and the risks involved.

I'll come back to this thread and tell you about it

Right now, my vision is -5 nearsighted, or 20/600. I have worn glasses since I was 7 years old. I'm ready to ditch 'em!
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #9  
No description available.

I had it 4 years ago. Love it!!! No regrets.....well, maybe that I should have done it sooner!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:39 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/190/150

Height: 5'7.5"

My boyfriend just had it 20 days ago. And he's very pleased with the results. Some discomfort at the first few days but definately worth it.
ouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #11  

Thumbs up Laservue Eyes

I had my eyes done two weeks ago today, on 4/24. Laservue was awesome. Dr Balazsi is wonderful. I wished that I had it done five years ago. 4hrs after surgery we went to Gibby's for dinner!! Please write me back after you have it done or any questions.

20/20 after surgery and getting better!! Tell Daniele Louette I said hello.
Chris Van Epps Albany N.Y.

Last edited by saratogaracing; 05-08-2008 at 02:59 PM.
saratogaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #12  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
I had it 4 years ago. Love it!!! No regrets.....well, maybe that I should have done it sooner!
My thoughts (and my timeline) exactly!!
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #13  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratogaracing View Post
I had my eyes done two weeks ago today, on 4/24. Laservue was awesome. Dr Balazsi is wonderful. I wished that I had it done five years ago. 4hrs after surgery we went to Gibby's for dinner!! Please write me back after you have it done or any questions.

20/20 after surgery and getting better!! Tell Daniele Louette I said hello.
Chris Van Epps Albany N.Y.
Chris, AWESOME! Thanks for writing in! What was your eyesight before you went in?

I will be sure to report back... I'm really, really looking forward to it. Only 3 days to go!

Hey, did you wear your eye shields that first night at dinner? Are they clear? Just wondering if I will be walking around bumping into things or not, heh!

Last edited by BerkshireGrl; 05-08-2008 at 04:31 PM.
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #14  

I had custom done in january and love it!! this is one procedure where it is not wise to scrimp. there are lots of bargain lasik places but...check 'em out, is all i'll say.

i'm 47 and no longer need glasses for distance however i now need reading glasses. prior to lasik i had bifocals but preferred to take my glasses off to read. i had the option of keeping one eye for reading (no lasik) and performing lasik on one eye but couldn't handle it with contacts and decided to have both eyes done.

i'm still using drops. at 47 my body is a little drier (it's a fact). i hope at my 6 month check up i'll be able to stop the drops.

i've had no halos. my eye sight was 20/20 after surgery but has decreased a bit since then however i need no prescription.

i was in a LOT of pain immediately after surgery. i was given a valium right before the procedure so that i'd go home and sleep but my eyes were burning and tearing badly. i took some tylenol pm and that put me out and i slept through the night. the next day wasn't nearly as bad. there is NO WAY i could've gone out to dinner after my procedue. they gave me dark glasses and i was told the best thing to do was to go home and sleep it off.

my only regret - not having this done in my 20-30s. of course i couldn't have afforded it then!

by the way, my dr. performed lasik on tiger woods and coach bill cowher. i should note, my golf game has not improved a bit!!!

Last edited by angeline; 05-08-2008 at 08:37 PM.
angeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #15  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

I've thought about the lasik procedure also, but have decided not to do it. I have only known 2 people who have had it done. The first, my sister-in-law still must wear glasses, different ones for day and night, because of the halo effect she sees at night. One of my best friends had it done about 6 years ago and still has to use eyedrops every couple hours-picture this-she's driving on the interstate putting in eyedrops because her dry eyes are so painful. Since I have only known 2 people who had it done and both had some kind of negative outcome, I decided against it for myself. Best wishes whatever you decide. I'd love to live without glasses.
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote