100 lb. Club - How many times a week do you exercise???

better health3
04-17-2008, 09:24 PM
I was noticing that the most successful people exercise 5-7 times a week for the quickest weight loss, and also do so for maintenance.

As far as the 50-100+ losers, what is your avg times a week. Thanks in advance.:D

findingfawn
04-17-2008, 09:35 PM
I'm just at the beginning, but I exercise every day for a minimum of 30 minutes. I am a pretty sedentary stay at home mom, so I figure 30 minutes every single day is totally necessary for me.

ETA: as time goes on I plan on upping my time to 45 minutes and then to an hour every single day. I may eventually go even longer every single day.. but I think an hour sounds reasonable and something I can live with fitting into my daily life.

Glory87
04-17-2008, 09:47 PM
When I was losing weight, I did my aerobics tape 5 times a week. I broke a rib during maintenance and used that as an excuse to just STOP exercising for months. I am happy to report - I am up to ONE time a week! Weee, considering it was zero for over a YEAR I'm doing 100% better! I would like to get it up to 3-4 times a week :)

dandk0204
04-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Right now I exercise everyday, 6 days I exercise for 60 or more mins and the 7th day I usually do around 30 mins

jitterfish
04-17-2008, 10:23 PM
I exercise at least 4 times a week, sometimes 6, never 7. And it is usually 30min-1hr sessions depending on the type of exercise and what I did the day before. And doing that I have lost around 70pounds in 9mos.

knitsforfive
04-17-2008, 10:26 PM
I started at 3-4 times a week for a few weeks; then 4-5 times a week for a few months; now I work out 5-6 times a week and bike and/or walk as many days as I can (my preferred mode of transportation -- weather permitting). I also get a lot of movement in by chasing after 3 wee ones.

I like to keep my calories around 1700-1800 and all this movement is how I do that. I work out at least 50 min., but usually an hour.

It's a lot of work, but worth it because I don't like an empty stomach and I am so not strong enough to go way low in calories.

mandalinn82
04-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Cardio 5-6x per week (50-60 min)
Strength 2x per week (60 min)
Yoga 2-3x per week (20 min)

Penney
04-17-2008, 10:38 PM
I exercise at least 4 days a week..... I don't count weekends in my exercise schedule - anything I do on the weekends I count as bonus time....

If I go to the gym at work I do 30 - 45 minutes of cardio - either the treadmill or the cross-ramp and then I strength train - I end up exercising at least for an hour.

If I am exercising at home - I do yoga, tae bo or my biggest loser dvd.

Then on the weekends when the weather permits I spend a few hours out in the yard playing in the dirt.

shelby897
04-17-2008, 10:41 PM
From 01/06 to 03/08 I worked out at the YMCA for two hours at least four days a week -- unfortunately I was still eating like it was my last meal, so I never lost any weight (but I had awesome muscles -- I swear I did, I could feel them -- way, way under my plump :D)

Now that I have the complete package going on -- I do the treadmill every day at exactly 8:00 p.m. (I've rearranged everyones schedule around me for a change, I even made my husband wire cable TV to the dining room so I have something to watch) for 30 minutes, I chase/bounce the kids on the trampoline a few days a week (I sweat a lot, so to me it counts) and I try to hike with them at least two days a week, weather permitting)

So, with my master plan going on -- I hope to be thin by the end of the year :dizzy:

RealCdn
04-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Cardio 5x90 mins (M-F) mainly walking, but a little jogging to get my heart rate up
Strength Training 3x30 mins (M/W/F) with part of my cardio above before and after
Rest days - 2 (Sat/Sun)

Shortly I'll likely substitute some swimming and treading water for the treadmill, keeping an eye that I'm burning roughly the same number of calories. I should point out that I currently have a very sedentary lifestyle, so that walking (even though it does raise a sweat) is to counteract that. As I get busier during the spring/summer/fall I'll likely lower that number.

SkinnyDogMom
04-17-2008, 11:08 PM
I started exercising consistently mid Feb. It is mostly treadmill walking. I have gradually worked up to using more and more incline and a higher speed to keep my HR up.
I try for 60 minutes, usually 5 days a week. The other 2 days I work 12 hour shifts, I wear a pedometer at work and try to work in more steps if it is a slow day.
I have found that about once a week I end up either taking a day off or only doing a 15-20 min walk with DH or puppy.
I am still trying to "find" the routine that works for me. So many days I don't really feel like doing an hour, so I make deals with myself that I will just walk 20 or 30 minutes, but then once I am on the treadmill, I just keep going.
If I just go get my workout clothes and shoes on, then I find that I will do it.
We are moving the end of May and will have a community center with a variety of exercise equipment and an indoor pool. I plan to add more variety to my workouts and add in strength training.
I am not looking for quick weight loss. I have done quick weight loss many times over the last 20 years. I want permanent weight loss and better health.

AutumnHarvest
04-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Seven days a week! (Wanna hear a secret? I'm even starting to like it.)

I meet with my personal trainer for an hour about three times a week. On those days, I do an hour of strength training and lifting and finish off with 20-30 minutes of cardio.

The other four days a week, I do basic strength training (no lifting, because I'm not at a point where I trust myself alone with weights of any type) for 25 minutes and then cardio for 55.

I firmly believe that the weight training is at the root of my success to date. I honestly just do the cardio because it improves my disposition. Apparently, being sweaty and gross puts a smile on my otherwise sour puss.

CountingDown
04-17-2008, 11:29 PM
9-12 times per week.
I try to do 30 min. of yoga/pilates/resistance/strength in the morning before work and 30-50 min. of cardio in the afternoon after work. While the goal is 6 days per week, my schedule usually interferes once or twice during the week. Sunday is my sabbath day.

FB
04-17-2008, 11:46 PM
I barely fit into your category, and am no expert- but I commit myself to 30 minutes a day at least- sometimes life gets crazzzzzy and I skip a day, but the last 2 weeks average out to 75 minutes a day.

I mostly do cardio, I get bored easily and don't have a gym membership so it varies... stationary bike, real bike, treadmill, walking, videos or my trusty butt kicking Nordic Track. I do some strength training throughout the week.

I'm starting to like it as well. Am I still me???

Robin41
04-18-2008, 01:39 AM
50 minutes of cardio and 40 minutes of weights 5x a week. The other two days I walk the golf course with my husband.

When I exercise, I lose weight. When I don't, I don't.

Lyn2007
04-18-2008, 01:44 AM
I noticed the same thing, and since I have periods of struggles, I changed my routine last week:

I was doing biking 3x a week for 15 min or so and increasing it by 2 minutes per week.

A month ago I added strength training for 15-20 minutes at home, 3x a week.

A week ago I decided to ride bike 6 days a week unless my knees are aggravated by it. I ride for 27 minutes each time.

I am down 46 pounds so far.

Rayelle
04-18-2008, 02:50 AM
I try to shoot for 6 but usually only get in 5 (weekends are hard b/c my husband and I are usually doing something together)

barbygirl43
04-18-2008, 01:57 PM
I really liked it when I was doing 30 minutes to 2 hours 5-7 days a week. Now I'm getting in about 45 a day. After this 5k Saturday I am going to go back to my morning, lunch and before bed exercise schedule. I usually do Yourself Fitness in the mornings on the x-box for 45 minutes or an hour, then walk or jog on my lunch break for 30 minutes, before bed would do yoga or walking/jogging around the house.

fiberlover
04-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Cardio 7x per week
Strength train 4 days per week (split sets)

I do something every day. And I don't lose very fast, either LOL!

wendymeows
04-18-2008, 03:48 PM
I've been walking everyday for at least 30 minutes...yesterday I kicked it up to 45 minutes and will do that for a while. I also work on a workout machine each day after my walk. A few times a week, I add in an exercise video, ride my bike or jump on the trampoline with the kids.

Goddess Jessica
04-18-2008, 05:10 PM
I spin (not in circles! On a bike) 2xs a week (for 45-60 minutes)
I walk 1x a week. (one hour)
I dance 1-2xs a week (for an hour).

BrandNewJen
04-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Wow... I don't. I don't exercise. Not now. Not yet. I'll be honest here!

I've lost 36 pounds since January. I started working a new job and have a new schedule and I want to get my EATING down first before I add exercise into the equation.

It's working so far... I figure once I start having some trouble losing weight, I will add in the exercise.

In the meantime though :) I do have a membership at the YMCA that is just going unused. Nice, huh?

Shy Moment
04-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Monday, Wednesday and Friday I do 40 min or some kind of resistance training.
Monday, Wednesday and Friday I also do at least 6 miles walking/aerobic videos but I try to do 8. If I don't do 8 I have to make up those miles on the weekend.

Tuesday and Thursday I do at least 6 miles walking/aerobic videos and I try to do 10. If I don't do 10 I have to make up those miles on the weekend.

Generally I do all the miles I want to get in and I don't exercise at all on the weekends. This week my knee has really been bothering me again so it looks like Saturday and Sunday I will have to probably do 4 miles one day and 5 miles another make up miles that didn't get done on the week days. This is how I keep myself accountable. It has to be done so I might as well do it. There really has to be a good reason like the knee or hip acting up for me not to get all those miles in. The weekend is full of shopping and family and other things and I was told everyone should have one day off a week from exercising to let the body rest and heal.

PinkyPie
04-18-2008, 05:51 PM
I just re-started with exercise 3 weeks ago. Gym 2x a week minimum 50 minutes cardio, strength training if I'm not completely dead. Minimum 1x a week at home on my elliptical at least 20 minutes.

I too am trying to get my eating down and I don't want to overdo it right now. I'm satisfied with the current schedule but am going for more exercise at home. DF and I made a deal that I exercise while he cooks dinner and I want to live up to my end of the agreement.

FresnoBeeDude
04-18-2008, 08:05 PM
I am juggling 2 jobs (65 hrs a week, 7 days), and gym time. I ride my bike everywhere. On a given day, I'll ride my bike about 3 miles.

When I do make it to the gym (3-4 days a week) I work out for 2.5 hrs. I may do circuit weight training (using the treadmill between all body parts), I may do strictly cardio (an hr on the treadmill, an hour on the elliptical - I'll substitute one of those for an hr on the recumbent bike as well)

ShannanA
04-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Never, I hate it, I do go for the occasional bike ride but it's not strenuous. I work in a group home so there is a lot of cleaning and physically lifting people etc. That's exercise enough for me. I work 50 hours a week, commute at least 6 hours a week and donate plasma 6 hours a week. I don't have the time even if I wanted to. On top of that I am going to be going back to school in the fall, more stuff to pile on.

LittleBigGirl
04-18-2008, 09:51 PM
I noticed this to. I'm just starting back but the current plan is:

Mon: 45min elliptical /45min strength
Tue: 30min swim
Wed: Rest
Thurs: 30min swim
Fri: 60min yoga
Sat: 30min swim
Sun: Rest

I've kept up so far. :carrot: In a week or three I'll work up to 60 minutes swimming and add another elliptical/strength on wednesday's. I'm going tp London in September and I want to be lean and mean.

xGurlyGrlx
04-18-2008, 11:51 PM
I don't really fit in your category of 50+lbs lost...but I thought I would share too. :D

I exercise 5x a week...at least. Not really hard workouts...but I walk 1.5 miles with my dog and sometimes do WATP DVD. I do the elliptical and am starting to jog....very slowly!

SwimGirl
04-19-2008, 03:20 AM
I have a question to add! How do you all find the time for this? I work 5 days a week, 10.5 hour days, and I haven't found a way to get more than 30 minutes of exercise in there. I'd like to be doing more, and feel as though I should be doing more as well. Advice needed!

-Aimee

PinkyPie
04-19-2008, 05:23 AM
Aimee, I too work 5 days a week but only about 8 hours a day. However, my commute is round trip 4 hours a day. I basically get up at 4.30am and I go to bed between 10 - 11pm. Some nights (if I go to the gym near work) I eat my (already prepared) dinner on the train home. It's not a perfect situation, but I have to do this right now. For me, personally, the weight isn't going to come off unless I exercise AND do the food thing.

I think the ONLY way to fit it in is to really look at what you are doing in your "free" time and see if you can't get up earlier or change something in your schedule to fit it in. And you can just start by doing the little things that add up - park further away from work or from where you have to do your errands, take the stairs, maybe get a pedometer and try to reach 10,000 steps per day. All of that is exercise, it doesn't HAVE to be going to the gym or doing a fitness DVD.

Beverlyjoy
04-19-2008, 07:03 AM
Actually, I don't exercise much. I've had some foot and back problems. Lately, I've been doing some excerising on the stationary bike and some others at my physical therapy.

I am hoping to kick it up when I am more physically able.

I've lost nearly 70 pounds with little exericse. Lately, the weight loss is going pretty slowly.

One of my goals at PT is finding a way to add exercise into my daily life.

traci in training
04-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Depending on the homework load and the family activities, I try to do an hour each weekday. The weather didn't cooperate this week for outdoor activities and for some reason I'm just not up to the Y this week. Winter has been long and I am SICK of the treadmill! Fortunately, it is not raining this morning, so I'm headed out for a run. So - if the weather is cooperative or I'm not anti-Y, I do five hours per week. Since I've only gotten in two days this week, I'll exercise today and tomorrow.

I either interval walk/run or ride my bike or some of both. We have a 5k in two weeks, so I've been trying to walk/run more than bike. Honestly, I get a better work-out that way, too, but I really would rather ride the bike. Tomorrow we'll probably take the bikes to a trail near by and that's not only good exercise, it's really a fun time with my new skinny husband.

And I think that's really important. We do activities together for fun these days instead of eating and watching tv. If you would have told me two years ago that we'd be going to a 5k together I would have laughed right out loud!

bluex
04-19-2008, 11:30 AM
At first, I went to do a treadmill about 3 times a week and I lost a lot of weight that way. I tried to go more but I averaged about 3. Then stuff happened and I stopped for about six months. I was cutting what I ate so I still kept losing weight through that time. Then after last summer, things were going slower and I recommitted to exercise because I was coming close to goal with about 30 more pounds to lose. I started walking and aimed for 6 days a week about 40 minutes.

I set up a weekend walking buddy who made me get up early in the weekends. I made it easy for me at work and got 3 walking partners and we went to a nearby park and walked right after work. I kept walking shoes in my car, no excuses. With that I was able to get to my goal weight.

Since hitting my goal weight, I've lost some motivations plus I really don't want to lose more weight at this point and one of my work walking partners (the more consistent one) has been unable to walk. I average maybe 3 or 4 times a week. I am trying to get back to 5 days a week, that would make me happy. This week, I've done 3 and hope to walk today and tomorrow.

I think the more you lose, the more important exercise becomes and I don't believe you can maintain your weight loss without it. Though, I did hear on the tv yesterday that without diet, exercise won't do much for weight loss. This as an explanation for why overweight people training for a marathon weren't really losing weight.

Smiling_Sara
04-19-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm still trying to get into a routine. It's HARD, and I don't like to excersize. A good week, 4 times a week, a bad week, 0-2 times a week. Some days I just feel like I don't have the time, I have to much on my plate, etc, but I just always make time to take a 30 minute walk. ALWAYS. No question about it I feel so much better once I do excersize and I see more results too.

Idealmuse
04-19-2008, 12:36 PM
6 days a week 40mins-2.5 hours (sounds long, but I'm in training)

3x week running (40-60mins)
3x week swimming (60mins)
3x week biking (45-90mins)
Walking 3-4 times a week usually to pool

I don't lose as well without exercise, but my calories aren't super low either. If I was more concerned about a quick drop I'd drop them more, but I need fuel to work out.

CountingDown
04-19-2008, 12:45 PM
I have a question to add! How do you all find the time for this? I work 5 days a week, 10.5 hour days, and I haven't found a way to get more than 30 minutes of exercise in there. I'd like to be doing more, and feel as though I should be doing more as well. Advice needed!

-Aimee

Aimee - I work 8 to 11 hour days as well. I also volunteer several hours per week.
I get up early (5:30) and do my Bible study, then exercise (yoga, pilates or resistance bands so I don't have to shower - only wash), then breakfast, ready for work and out the door by 7:20.

I stopped watching TV in the evening. This gave me plenty of time to do my cardio routine. :D

valpal23
04-19-2008, 01:01 PM
I aim to do something everyday for atleast half an hour. pilates/resistance tubes or walking. weekends I swim.... and I just bought an elipictal. but daily exercise is what keeps me on track with my food choices...

Nori71
04-19-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm not in your 50+ category yet...

I do 8-10 hours a week. Pretty much 50% cardio/40 % weight training/10% core & balance. I've been doing this for 3 months now and been losing 100% fat - building lean muscle mass each time I'm measured so far.

deathnotronic
04-19-2008, 03:11 PM
i work out everyday. i do a one hour bike ride (roughly). i love, love, LOVE bike riding. and if the weather is bad, then i go to the y and do the elliptical for a half an hour and walk for another half an hour.

FresnoBeeDude
04-19-2008, 08:13 PM

-Aimee

I was just complaining in real life about not having enough time. Someone pointed out that there is 1,440 minutes in a day. Surely I can find 60 minutes during that time. There is also 10,080 minutes a week.

I work 8 days a week. Just like the Beatles sang. One job is from 6am-2:30pm Mon-Fri. The other job is 11pm-7am Fri-sat, 3pm-10pm Sun. My plan is to go to the gym after work, and spend 2+ hours there Mon-Thurs, and lately (because I have been taking a day off during the week, due to fatigue) I have been hitting the gym at 7am Saturday morning, and spending nearly 3 hrs there.

So...granted I am a bachelor...I work 62 hours (could be more if the weekend job is shorthanded and they need me to work a shift during my week), and workout 10 hours a week. In total I spend a little over 2 hrs pedaling my bike as well