PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #1  

Default severe sugar withdrawal 48 hrs into metformin...

Hey Ladies - I'm sitting here at work and having such a bad sugar craving its nearly unbearable. I feel dizzy, i have dry-mouth (even though I've been drinking water all day to stay full) and the girl in the cube next to me just walked by with coffee & a chocolate chip muffin...

I'm 48 hrs into my Metformin and prescribed super lo-carb diet, and I really don't know what to do to curb the sugar craving... HELP!
Dina1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

Have you tried chewing some sugar free gum? While I was on Metformin myself I got really into that to help with dry mouth and to keep cravings at bay and just keep on drinking that water.Good luck with your medication!
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #3  

One of my friends mentioned drinking dexatrim max2o... i know it only has 2 carbs per serving but it also has caffeine, which i understand is not good for a lo-carber...

thoughts?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

If your dizzy maybe you are on too high of a dose. Your sugar may be low. I have never been dizzy on metformin.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:38 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

If you are dizzy, you definitely should not take caffeine supplements. Do you take blood sugar readings? Maybe it is low, and maybe it is just an old fashioned carb withdrawal. To be safe, you should check before you drive anywhere.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #6  

I'm on a 1-pill per meal dose right now. I don't think its a side effect of the metformin, i think its the reaction of my body trying to get used to having NO sugar. I haven't had any real side effects from the Rx, so i think in a week's time my doc wants me on 1 pill at bkfst and 2 at dinner.

I still have a hard time shaking the sugar craving... one friend of mine suggested sugar-free jello, but anything sugar-free (with artificial sweetener) always gives me a migraine.