Support Groups - Reluctant Exercisers Support Group

Pages : [1] 2

Shay
04-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Hi everyone,
I've been debating on starting this group for several reasons. One I was really trying to think of an appropriate name. I don't hate exercise. I dread it. I know it is important and all of the wonderful benefits it provides, blah, blah, etc but motivating myself to do it is difficult. I wouldn't term myself a couch potato because once I get going I love it so finally I came up with "Reluctant Exercisers". Second I was trying to think of where to post. Not the fitness forum because they are exercising over there. Then I thought of the Chicks Up for a Challenge section but then thought I didn't think it really fit. So...decided to make it a support group because that is what I am looking for. Also I was thinking do I want to start another thread but then had to admit I spend a lot of time on 3FC because it is my 24/7 support group so I can keep up with it.

So here we go...anyone that is having difficulty motivating themselves to exercise please join me on this quest to really stop talking about it and doing it.

slim n up
04-17-2008, 09:39 AM
This is exactly how I feel. Once the exericising is over I am extremely proud of myself for doing it, but I have a hard time becoming motivated. I dread the thought of starting also.

Wilma

havoc
04-17-2008, 09:40 AM
HI! I'm here, too!

I don't know if I'm reluctant as much as I just don't have time, and when I do have time, there are a gazillion other things that need to be done so sometimes exercising just seems like trivial self-indulgence. I'm doing better while I'm at work (I do a lot of stair climbing and some occassional strength stuff at my desk). But overall, I'm not so good. I'd rather read a good book, and I haven't figured out how to do aerobic reading yet. I'm working on it, though.

Equipment bores me, I don't have time for classes, and most workout DVDs have me snoring quickly. I've found that more unusual workout DVDs keep my interest better - bellydance, bhangra/bollywood-style aerobics, and (hehehe) Carmen Electra's strippercise are all fun. For some reason, I feel like I'm learning something from those rather than just mindlessly jumping around my living room. Plus, there's an added skill benefit from some (not that I'm looking at becoming a stripper, but I'm sure there's some weird situation where strippercising could come in handy. Again, I'm working on it! :dizzy:)

Shay
04-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Let me tell you about my exercise life. I am a Therapeutic Recreation Programmer. So generally I manage recreation programs for individuals with disabilities. I do directly implement programs occasionally. Right now I am leading a Water Exercise program for individuals with MS and other physical disabilities. We use noodles, resistance bands, and weights in the water. I co-lead a program with individuals with TBI. Part of that program includes seated exercise with homemade weights (water bottles filled with water). So until the middle of May I have 3 built in exercise days. I want to add two days of cardio. I think I will go on a Jillian exclusive routine for the first couple of weeks and then revisit. I will attempt to do Jillian's Cardio Kickboxing in about 15 minutes. I aim high don't I? I will check back in after doing that.

Shay
04-17-2008, 09:52 AM
:welcome: Slim n up & Havoc!

Slim n up--Look I'm procrastinating now. I need to be gettting my workout gear on and I'm sitting here on the computer :D!

Havoc--I get bored easily too. That's why I have a treadmill, elliptical, and urban rebounder. Countless accessories, a gym membership, and over 50 fitness dvds/vhs. Yet, rarely use them. I also can find a million things to do. I have a lot of movies to watch, tv shows to watch, books to read, people to talk to on the phone, school work to do, errands to run,and sometimes I am plain tired. It seems like you've figured out a way to keep your interest with dvds that aren't just straight exercise but have a fun element too.

Gotta go exercise before I find an excuse not to. I will check back in and let you know if I survived.

Shay
04-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Okay I'm back and I survived but.....OMFG! Five minutes in I was hoping it would only be 30 minutes. I waited 1 hour after eating to exercise. Mistake-- next time which I hope to be Saturday I will wait at least 2 hours after eating. I wish I had a HRM because I know it was up there. The jumping jacks were the hardest because I tend to half do them but decided to full out do them. As she got to the 3rd or so set of 30 jumping jacks it got a little easier.

Shay
04-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I am hurting today. I still plan to do Cardio Kickboxing with Jillian tomorrow. We'll see if my body agrees.

MonteCristo
04-18-2008, 03:20 PM
Can join? Please? I have the hardest time with exercise. Like you, I know that it is good for me, but there are so many other things that I could be doing, that it almost seems like a waste of time. I wear a pedometer all the time, and I get at least 12000 steps a day, but I really need to come up with a better plan. I'm going to start running in the next couple of weeks (waiting on my gear), and I need to start some kind of regime for my *ahem* muffin top. I haven't done any exercise yet today, but when I get home from work I'm going to try to ride my bike for at least a mile or two.

Shay
04-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Hi MonteCristo--Of course all are :welcome3:

I'm already making up excuses for tomorrow but I will exercise.

mrsaugie
04-18-2008, 09:28 PM
alright i know i need the help in this area. so knowing that i am not alone already helps. so please count me into the group

Pandora123a
04-18-2008, 11:43 PM
I want to join too. Right now I am just [I]thinking[I] about exercise, with the goal of actually getting on the treadmill in the next couple of weeks. In the past, once I start exercising (walking, it is the only thing that I stick with) I'm happy...but getting started....that's hard.

I promise that by May 1 I'll be on the treadmill.

Pandora

Shay
04-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Hi mrsaugie--We meet again!

Pandora--I know what you mean. I had a goal of exercising by Earth day and that worked. I had been off the bandwagon for a long time. If it wasn't for work I wouldn't have had any exercise. To be honest if you don't make it on the treadmill by May 1st that's fine. I think you have to want to exercise on some level and until you are there its pointless because you may start then just give up.

I will check in after I exercise in the morning.

Shay
04-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Okay I did it again. It was better this time. I didn't feel like I was about to die until halfway through. And what's up with that itch in the video asking "Is that it?" Issues!

MonteCristo
04-19-2008, 07:11 PM
I wasn't able to ride the bike yesterday as it was pouring down rain all evening. I did still get my walking in, so that is something! Today I went and got myself a new workout outfit, just to jumpstart my motivation for the new running program that I'm going to be starting on the 28th. Silly, I know, but anything that gives me extra motivation is a good thing.

Shay
04-20-2008, 09:08 AM
MonteCristo--Good job on still finding a way to exercise!

Oh I love getting new workout dvds/videos and new outfits too. I haven't bought a new outfit in awhile. I wasn't allowing myself to do that because I haven't been working out. Maybe I will set up to reward to buy a new outfit after sticking to my plan for a bit. I need to think about that one.

mrsaugie
04-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Shay-- yes we do

so did not do my normal exercising yesterday because i was at a wedding (wedding #1 for this year #2 is in June). i also signed up for the 3FC Memorial Day 5k so starting hopefully today other wise tomorrow i will really start to work on improving my 40 minutes from the last one.

Shay
04-20-2008, 01:43 PM
mrsaugie--Talking about the 5K I think I will set my goal at 45 minutes. My little legs can only move so fast on my treadmill and I generally have difficulty with my endurance and breathing so the ultimate goal would be to finish no matter how long it takes.

mrsaugie
04-21-2008, 06:01 PM
good luck with that i know that you can do it

MonteCristo
04-21-2008, 09:15 PM
I've gotten so hyped about this exercising thing, that I went ahead and jumpstarted my running program. Today during my thirty minutes of power walking, I added three 30 second runs. Not much, I know, but it was 1.5 minutes more than I had done before, and I'm proud of myself. :cheer:

mrsaugie
04-21-2008, 09:28 PM
well i have to say that i am proud of myself because even though i have the remnants of an ugly headache i still exercisied. I walked 1.5 miles in half an hour. not my best but at least it is something.

Dinahgirl
04-21-2008, 09:37 PM
I haven't done any exercise in several months because of a variety of excuses, but today I did a 1-mile Walk Away the Pounds dvd (I was doing 4 miles 6 months ago). The only way I can make myself exercise is to do it the minute I get home from work: put my stuff down, change my clothes and do it, don't look at the mail and for god's sake, don't turn on the computer.

alex19114
04-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Ahhh!! Something for me, possibly? I have a terrible time with exercising... and I know I really need to start doing that more. Just gotta get my butt up and move..
And you know what? I completely forgot that I even had a bike... I haven't rode it since last year. :] Whoops.
My new goal is to ride for thirty minutes a day, starting Saturday.
And then possibly add more exercise as I go on?

I think this group is a great idea.... :]

mrsaugie
04-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Dinahgirl-- i am the same way. i also find that if i exercise right after i get home i also have some ambition to do some of the things around the house i usually do not want to do if they need to be done at the time.

alex19114--welcome i am in the same boat with the bike. i also have atrailer for my son to ride in when i go.

MonteCristo
04-22-2008, 10:39 AM
mrsaugi - Way to go on the exercising! I know how debilitaing a bad headache can be, sometime just walking feels like it is jarring your brains lose! Every little bit of exercise is a victory for us over the enemy!

Dinahgirl - Kudos to you for starting the exercising back up. I'm sure you'll be back up to 4 miles in no time. I totally understand what your saying about going straight to exercising. I still live with my parents, and I've got eight little brothers and sisters who are clamoring for my attention as soon as I walk in the door, so if I don't jump straight into my clothes and hit the treadmill, I'm done for.

alex19114 - Welcome, and congratulations for adding an exercise routine! Thirty minutes of bike riding sounds like a great place to start.

Keep up the good work everyone! :cheer:

Dinahgirl
04-22-2008, 08:37 PM
OK, I am great! :D Two nights in a row, I have walked the Miracle Mile with Leslie. Here's my plan for this week. Every night, except tomorrow night, I am going to do the 15 minute walk. I am going to restrain myself from doing any more than that just for one week. Tomorrow night, my friend and I are going to walk-and-eat after work. After a week of this, I will go up to the 2-mile dvd.

My eating wasn't too good today. But that's ok. Tomorrow I will do better.

Everybody is doing great!:carrot:

mrsaugie
04-22-2008, 10:00 PM
walked 3.11 miles in 42 minutes

chickybird
04-22-2008, 10:12 PM
I need some help guys!
I've had just a really sucky 2 weeks-work, not really followinf WW, and not exercising (I do wear my pedometer every day and get my 10,000 steps), but I can't seem to dredge the energy to go to the gym, even though I have a membership.
I teach pre-k all day, and it's like I'm exhausted by 4pm every night.
I needed to buy shorts today, and I had to buy a 16 to feel comfy. A 14 fit, but a little too tight to look at, ya know? Depressing :(
I want to go to the gym tomorrow, and I am actually eager to get back on the WW wagon.
I need a hug! (I'm such a dork....)

jimaterry
04-23-2008, 02:15 AM
I'm in.. im real good at reading these boards.. getting all pshyced to exercise, then something else comes up cause im lazy lol... maybe this will help.. hope so.. i just get sooo bored... yet when i do get moving i feel so good afterwards.. im weird lmao:hug:

MonteCristo
04-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Chickybird & jimaterry welcome! We all have problems getting motivated, that's why we're here! ;) I have a terrible time with boredom, especially on the treadmill, so I listen to audiobooks while I'm working out. There is a great site, www.emusic.com, that has tons of audiobooks. I currently have the one audio book a month membership ($10). You just download the book you want, and listen to it on your iPod or other MP3 player. It really helps me give myself an extra push, since I don't let myself listen to it unless I'm exercising.

Yesterday I added another 30 second run to my workout, which brings me up to 2 whole minutes. I also added a couple additional stretches to my routine, so my program lasts about 45 minutes right now. I've also managed to drink 100oz of water the last two days, which is my minigoal for this week.

alex19114
04-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Hey, chickybird, I'm on WW too. :] Are you on the flex plan?
It's nice, because you get points back for whenever you exercise. All depends on how much you sweat and how much time you spent doing it.
So far I haven't really done anything... I haven't been feeling so good. Caffeine withdrawls. Hah, or that's what my mom tells me.
:]
Alex

chickybird
04-23-2008, 08:57 PM
yup, I'm on flex. I had a better day today. no gym, but I got in 13,000 steps! I also ate pretty healthy:) thanks for the pep talk!

Dinahgirl
04-23-2008, 10:40 PM
Chickybird, you are not a dork. Remember: never anything about yourself that you wouldn't ... oh never mind! LOL

I have walked 3 days in a row now. This could be the start of something good! Tomorrow I have to travel out of town for the day, but I'm really hoping to get back early enough to do a walk, even if it's for only ten minutes.

Bye for now.:wave:

Shay
04-24-2008, 12:12 AM
Whew the thread has been busy and so have I so I haven't had a chance to check in.

:welcome2: alex19114, Chickybird, jimaterry!

mrsaugie--Thanks for the positive reinforcement that is always helpful for me.

MonteCristo--Congrats on starting the running program. Running is hard period so even a small start is fantastic! Great advice--I will definitely check out that link.

Dinahgirl & mrsaugie--I do a similar thing. I put on my exercise clothes as soon as I get home but walk around in them until I am ready to exercise. My mom does the same thing. I LOL alot when I'm walking around in my clothes and I wonder to myself is my mom doing the same thing at the same time at her house.

chickybird--:hug:

jimaterry--I'm the same way. That's one of the reasons I started this thread. I knew there were others out there like me :D!

My exercise:
T--Jillian's Cardio Kickboxing
W--Water Exercise

Shay
04-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Good morning. I forgot to report that I did Water Exercise on Monday also. I plan to do Jillian's Cardio Kickboxing tonight. Morning exercise is definitely a better guarantee that I will actually do it but lately all I want to do in the morning is basically nothing. I'm an early riser I should use it to my advantage.

tkglenn
04-24-2008, 08:31 AM
Can I join? I can't stand exercising but love it when I'm doing it. I just can't get up and go. I have the hardest time. Plus, my kids get sick everytime I take them out to go for a walk. I need to start walking and exercising because I'm on a plateau and can't get down then somedays I gain and pound or two and get really discouraged. I'm going to Vegas in July and really wanna get to goal by then. I know I can do it, I've done it before. I need motivation.

MonteCristo
04-24-2008, 10:47 AM
tkglenn, welcome! You've come to the right place!

Yesterday I added another 30 second sprint, which brings me up to 2.5 total minutes of running. Today is my day of rest in the running program, so I'll probably just run through my Denise Austen ab workout, and maybe bike for a while.

mrsaugie
04-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Yesterday 2.57 miles in 35 min. Today 5.17 miles in 60 min. and i did 3 miles in 35 minutes that includes the 3 times i got off because my son wanted to show me something. for those who do not know i am trying to do 3 miles in 30 minutes mainly because at the beginning of April it took me 40-45 minutes to do now half way through April i am at 40-35 minutes pretty consistently 5 minutes is 5 minutes.

tkglenn- welcome.

montecristo-- good job. keep it up and little by little you will do it :)

Shay
04-25-2008, 02:54 AM
tkglenn--Of course you can join . Welcome!

MonteCristo & mrsaugie--The small improvements always count. When I first started exercise years ago I was so out of shape I started with 5 minutes. Each time I would add 2 minutes and slowly worked my way up.

I was supposed to do kickboxing yesterday. Didn't happen. I'm off today so I will exercise. I will be walking non stop on Saturday so I will try to remember to wear a pedometer so I can count that.

MonteCristo
04-25-2008, 10:50 AM
I've discovered a new (at least to me) problem with exercising. I'm starving all the time! Yesterday was my day of rest, so I didn't do any "real" exercising besides getting my 12000 steps, so I had a lot of free time in the late afternoon to think about food. It was awful! I know that I'm eating plenty, so it's not like I'm starving myself. I tried drinking whenever I thought about eating but that didn't help very much. Fortunately I'll be able to exercise again tonight, plus it is movie night, so I'll have less time to think about eating.

:dust:

Shay
04-25-2008, 05:36 PM
That happens to many of us MonteCristo. Just make sure you are eating enough to fuel your exercise.

mrsaugie
04-25-2008, 11:24 PM
alright so i decided to take today off mainly due to the fact that i am going to be helping my sister move tomorrow. may be i will get up early and try to get a1/2 hour in before we leave. Sunday may be a day off as well depending on when we get back to town. my sister currently lives in Green Bay (1 1/2 hours) from me and is going to Milwaukee (4 hours) from me. a long weekend is ahead of me.

MonteCristo
04-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Friday and Saturday's exercising went great. I'm constantly adding a bit more running, so Sat I actually ran for 1 minute 5 times. :cheer: Unfortunately, in addition to running, I went bowling with a friend for two hours on Saturday, and now my back (which I already have problems with) is completely exhausted. Sunday it was so bad that I couldn't even sit at the piano at church, and had to get my little sister to fill in for me. I've been taking ibuprofen and trying some stretches, and it is a lot better today, but I'm still afraid it may put a bit of a damper on my exercise this afternoon.

Shay
04-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Monte Cristo--Happy to hear the exercising is working out for you but not really because you are on the red team :devil:

Okay I've fallen off the exercise wagon. If it wasn't for work I wouldn't be exercising at all. I will attempt to exercise on my own on Thursday & Saturday.

mrsaugie
04-28-2008, 09:10 PM
all right so today i willingly decided not to exercise especiallly after moving my sister who can not seem to find a place without stairs. i am feeling it between my knees and my neck. it is the feeling of muscles after a good strength training session for lack of a better description.

MonteCristo
04-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Monday's exercising went great. I was still a bit stiff from Saturday, but after my warmup and stretches I was fine, and truth be told, I felt a lot better after exercising then I did before. No increase on Monday, still holding steady at five 1min runs. Today my department is going out to dinner, so I had to do my exercise before work (I don't like running at 5:30 am), but today was a scheduled "easy" day, so I only had 30 second sprints during my thirty minutes of exercise.

Go Red Team ;)

Shay
04-30-2008, 07:41 PM
mrsaugie--Great decision you definitely do not want to overdo it.

:rofl: MonteCristo! I did Water Exercise on Monday and today. Tomorrow since I generally wake up between 5-6am I will exercise before going to work. I will do the same on Saturday. The longer I wait the more likely I will not exercise. I may try to add Friday morning too but that may be a bit much. I push too much I will burn out and quit so I gotta be careful.

Shay
05-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Okay I did it. I got up and did Jillian's Kickboxing. Good for me :)! Now I will be really motivated to get the exercises because I want to get as many badges as possible for me and my team. I still need tobe careful to not over do it.

MonteCristo
05-01-2008, 10:18 AM
likenoother - The badges will definitely help to keep me motivated! And good job on the kickboxing.

Yesterday's running went great. I was a little out of breath in the middle, but I guess I got my second wind, and was feeling great by the end. Today is a resting day for the running, so I plan on going through one of Denise Austen's ab & upper body workout this evening. Today is also my little brothers birthday, so keep your fingers crossed that I don't completely fall off the wagon with birthday treats!

Shay
05-01-2008, 07:37 PM
MonteCristo--It definitely doesn't hurt to have a treat now & then. I'm sure you will do just fine. Great job on the running.

I think I will get up and exercise tomorrow morning after all. I might not do Jillian's Kickboxing though. Getting a bit bored. I think I might do one of my TBL dvd's. We'll see.

mrsaugie
05-01-2008, 10:11 PM
starting over now on 3 days in a row. today i really made up for yesterday though. 60 minutes and 5.03 miles where as yesterday it was 25 minutes and 2.2 miles. tuesday was 32minutes and 2.58 miles all on the Gazelle.

mrsaugie
05-02-2008, 10:54 PM
today is day 4 --25 mins.,2.07 miles and it was kind of a if i do not do this i will feel guilty later about it. and i did it while my Oreo cheesecake was baking.:o

Shay
05-03-2008, 08:17 PM
mrsaugie--You are doing great!

I did TBL Workout #1 yesterday for 40 minutes and today I did WATP--Kick & Jog for 30 minutes today. I know starting this thread and being in the TBL Just Beachy challenge is motivating me. I may exercise tomorrow but not sure what I plan to do? Pilates maybe? I'm trying to do a lot of different stuff so I don't get bored. Treadmill maybe?

MonteCristo
05-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Great job on the exercising mrsaugie and likenoother!

I did better than I expected on Thursday. I skipped the dessert entirely, and only had chips & dip (a great weakness of mine). But I was very careful, and still stayed within my carb limit (Go Me!). I just walked as I was supposed to be taking it easy. Friday I was back running, this time kicking it up to 5min walking to 2min running. Just about killed myself Friday (but then again I had been remodeling a house all day and was pretty worn out when I started), but it was a lot easier on Saturday. Today was another rest day, so I worked on the Red Team pushup challenge exercises and walked for an hour. Monday I'm suppose to move on to 5min/3min increments, but I may have to take it a bit slower. I ordered a few exercise DVDs which should come some time this week. I'm hoping that the variety that they will add will help me stay motivated.

mrsaugie
05-05-2008, 06:24 PM
all right so i took Sat and yesterday off and there go 2 of my 4 days off this month and i might as well count mothers day off as well and that leaves one left.

today-45 minutes, 3.56 miles.

mrsaugie
05-07-2008, 10:24 PM
i think i am going to give up at 4:30 am to do Pilates and just do it in the evening after Kayden (my son) goes to bed starting tonight maybe. 2 more days of gazelling are complete.

5/6---43 Minutes,2.7 miles
5/7---- 41 minutes,3.3 miles

MonteCristo
05-08-2008, 12:14 PM
I stayed on plan with running Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I'm now up to 5min walk/3min run. Today is a rest day, and then tomorrow it jumps up to 5/4. I'm still having trouble with 5/3, so I'll probably just go for 5/3.5 to be safe. My dvds still haven't arrived. :( I'm not sure what I'll do today, probably ride my bike and do some easy walking.

whoIwannabe
05-08-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm the kind of chick who will enjoy exercising when I'm thin. But until then I prefer to diet only. I

Shay
05-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Hi everyone,
I've exercised two times this week. Water exercise twice and I also did a walk/run combo on the treadmill last night.

MonteCristo
05-10-2008, 05:58 PM
I finally got my exercise Dvds! I watched them all through (I had just finished running when they got here, so actually working them was out of the question), and they look like they're going to be great. :cheer:

Shay
05-10-2008, 06:47 PM
MonteCristo--I have always watched my exercise dvds before doing them.

I won't get all of my minutes in for the Beach Hopping. I am so not motivated to exercise. Next week is the last week for Water Exercise. So then what am I gonna do? I must go to the gym. What helps me out is there is no dress code at my job--I work in recreation--so the days I plan to go to the gym I just need to change into my sports bra and head to the gym. I will return to the gym the week of May 18th.

MonteCristo
05-11-2008, 06:57 PM
I went through Jillian's 30 Day Shred exercise today. Whew! I though I was going to die a couple of times, mainly during the strength segments. But I made through the whole thing, so I'm proud of myself.

mrsaugie
05-12-2008, 06:49 PM
all right so i took Sat off instead of yesterday either way i still have one more day that i can take off. and i only walked 1/2 mile with my dog mostly because he was pulling so hard that he was wheezing. that is something he has done from puppy on.

MonteCristo
05-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Monday was a recovery day for running, so I was only suppose to walk briskly for 50 mins. After that I went through Denise Austen's Cardio Bootcamp (20mins). It wasn't as difficult as Jillian's, but I was still pretty wore out. I think I'll try something else tonight.

Shay
05-13-2008, 07:54 PM
mrsaugie & MonteCristo--You two are kicking a** with exercise. Me not so well. Hence, why I started this thread. You two are motivating me. I plan to go to the gym 3-4 days next week. You have to sign up an hour before class time so I will go in and do my cardio before hand then head to class. They are weight training classes. I don't do cardio classes because I'm not extremely coordinated so I feel I'm just shuffling around and not getting much out of it.

MonteCristo
05-14-2008, 10:24 AM
likenoother - You are doing just fine. Right now I have lots of free time (out of school, get off work at 3:30, still live at home) so it is probably easier for me to get in an hour and half of exercise a day. Just keep working at it!

mrsaugi - Our dog had that same problem for the longest time. This may sound a bit harsh, but we finally got him to stop by jerking the leash when he would start doing that. It took a couple of times, but now we can just give it the faintest little pop, and he'll usually back off.

I didn't go through Jillian's workout yesterday, as I was still sore from Sunday. Instead I went through two 10 min segments of Denise Austen's Dance workout, the Latin Groove and the Jazz/Pop. Dancing exercises are so fun. I can tell that they aren't near as effective as the 30 Day Shred, or DA's Bootcamp, but it does keep me moving for 30 mins or more, so its all good. In my running I'm up to 5min walking and 5min running. I've had to slow the running down a lot (4.6), but I can make it the whole 5 mins (go me!).

Shay
05-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Great job on the running MonteCristo! Thanks for the encouraging words too. I am just frustrated with myself right now. Next week gym here I come! I did Water Exercise today. It was the last class.

MonteCristo
05-14-2008, 09:32 PM
After running today, I went through Jillian's workout, and then did the Latin Groove segment of Denise's dance workout. I feel absolutely glowing. I did a lot better this time with Jillian, hopefully after another week or so I'll be able to go through the whole thing without pausing for breathers!

mrsaugie
05-16-2008, 10:30 PM
alright so i have now taken 2 extra days off. may be it has to to with TOM coming. the week before i usualy do feel pretty sluggish. hope fully that is it and next week i will be back at it. like i had been.

Shay
05-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Great job MonteCristo!

Mrsaugie--Of course you will be back at it next week!

Next week I go back to the gym.

My plan:
Tuesday--20-30 minutes cardio, 1 hour Powerball Class
Wednesday--20-30 minutes cardio, 1 hour Powerflex Class
Friday--20-30 minutes cardio, 1 hour Powerflex Class

We'll see how that goes. I am one of those that makes plans for exercise but....I do want to get a badge next week and I can be more than half way there with this plan.

Shay
05-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Oh yeah, I will be doing my 5K for 3FC on Saturday too so I should be set for my badge. I am planning to walk/jog it and I'm not sure how long it will take. I will report in here and on the 5K thread.

miriam101
05-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Hello everybody,

I'd like to join this group.. sounds up my alley :)

I have a membership to the gym, which unfortunately, doesn't really count as exercising, does it? But I hope to make it there 3 times a week, and other than that - do SOMETHING every day in the way of exercising.

Today I walked for 25 minutes, briskly, up and down hills. So that's my start!!

Also - I was wondering if anyone had tried the Zumba DVDs? They look fun.

Thanks!

MonteCristo
05-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Hi Miriam Anne, and welcome! 25 mins walking up and down hills is a good start. I've never tried Zumba, but I'm sure there are others here that have. Maybe you should try the Exercise forum? They may know more about it.

Likenoother, that sounds like a great plan. The badges have become a major motivational tool for me, though I am glad that this week will be a little less intense.

Mrsaugi, we all have times when we just don't have the get-up-and-go to get in extra exercise. I'm sure that you'll be able to start back up again any day now.

Saturday I was a little behind for Barcelona, so I had to exercise over 2.5 hours by 1:00 (had plans for the afternoon). It completely wiped me out, and I'm still a bit tired today. I probably won't exercise more than 45 mins or so today, just to give myself time to recover. I also decided to hold steady running 5min and walking 5min for a week before I start decreasing my walking intervals. I still struggle a great deal to get through each running interval, so I thought it would be best for me to just stick where I am for a while.

miriam101
05-19-2008, 05:51 AM
I did 15 minutes so far today, and I think that's good because I'm home sick. Maybe tonight when it cools down I'll go out for a walk. I haven't been to the gym for so long I bet the won't know who I am when I go... I was hoping to try a class out there - it really doesn't work out with my work schedule though, but I used to go to a belly dancing class (yes, fat and all0 and it was so much fun, but we don't have a car anymore so i can't go there, but the class they have at the gym is on Tuesdays at 11;00 - kinda neither here nor there, but maybe I'll try it out. What do you think?

Shay
05-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Hi Miriam Anne! Welcome to the group. You're off to a great start too. I definitely think you should try the class out. I go to the gym for classes and get on the machines to pass time mostly. You have to sign up for classes ahead of time so I try to be productive.

MonteCristo--I think maintaining for a bit with the running is a good idea. I think when we push ourselves too much it gets us in trouble sometimes.

mrsaugie
05-19-2008, 10:49 PM
welll after taking the weekend off i am back at it strong or as strong as can be expected after taking 4 days off in a row ouch!!!! anyway i did 26 minutes and 2.34 miles on the Gazelle and i still have not done my pilates. mainly i think is because i have not found good time to do them when i am not tired and do not have to worry about dogs and Kayden getting in the way. i know that i will find a time or i will just have to bite the bullet and wosrk around them i know that eventually they will learn to stay out of the way.

Miriam Anne--- Welcome to our group. you are off to a great start. keep it up. and don't get discouraged when you cannot keep it up. that is the biggest thing that i have learned since i have been a member of this site.

likenoother--- thank you for the encouragement.

MonteCristo--- you are doing awesome keep it up. i agree with likenoother on the maintaining for awhile so you do not burn out. and thank you as well for the encouragement.

miriam101
05-20-2008, 02:40 AM
Hi Y'all -

Sore from the zumba exercising yesterday (grrr).

Home sick with sick kid too, doesn't look like I'm going ANYWHERE today - certainly no classes! If I feel better in the evening maybe I'll go for a walk.

You all are doing great - and thanks for the encouragement!

mrsaugie
05-20-2008, 10:03 PM
i do not know if i should count the mile that i went today. it only took me 15 minutes.

Shay
05-20-2008, 10:12 PM
mrsaugie--Every little bit counts!

I went to the gym tonight. I was acting like I lost my mind. Meaning I was acting like Superwoman. Based on what I did tonight I think I will go to the gym twice a week and try to do the rest at home. We will see how that works. So I did 20 minutes on the bike, 10 minutes on the elliptical, and a 60 minute Powerball Class. Overall a very good workout.

miriam101
05-21-2008, 02:02 AM
Mrsaugie - so you're getting faster and then the mile doesn't count?! :)

Shay - good for you at the gym. I thought I'd be getting back today into schedule but my kids is still home sick, so there goes that. Yesterday - I didn't do any exercise unless you count walking home from the doctor instead of taking the bus (15 minutes up a hill) but I walked like a snail....

MonteCristo
05-21-2008, 10:12 AM
mrsaugi & Miriam Anne - It counts! If you could have not done it at all, but you chose to do it anyway, you should certainly count it.

likenoother - great job on the gym workout. An hour and a half is a long time!

I'm still plugging along with running and the exercise dvds. I still have to take 2-3 second breathers during the strength segments of Jillian's workout, but I'm getting better. My teeny, tiny goal for this week is to be able to get all the way through without breaking at all.

miriam101
05-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Does walking around the mall for 3 hours count? LOL
No exercise today, but I have my alarm set for 6 to go the the gym before work. I bought new exercise pants today that fit... Should make things more pleasant.... and the black ones are nicer than the ugly grey ones that accentuate my backside-!! :)

MonteCristo
05-21-2008, 05:11 PM
I don't know about the mall......;) Buying new exercise clothes was the very first thing I did when I started exercising regularily. It was a great boost! And I really love mine, not sure of the brands or anything, I basically just tried everything at Sears on until I found stuff I liked. :D

miriam101
05-22-2008, 06:59 AM
Oh I love my new pants - and I was a SUPER EXERCISER today!

Went to the gym - (even though I had to leave the house at 6:20 to get there because I didn't have a ride like I usually do - so I am already proud of myself that I went because it;s a good 10 minute brisk walk from th bus stop too!!) and I usually have no patience there at all - do some walking in the treadmill and leave. Today - I did 40 minutes on the treadmill (3.5 km) and did ALL the weight machines AND floor exercises! Yea for me!! :) :) :)

mommy23monkeys
05-22-2008, 03:04 PM
May I join? The title describes me perfectly!

MonteCristo
05-22-2008, 03:13 PM
mommy23monkeys - Sure, jump right in! I, for one, am glad to have you, and I'm sure everyone else will feel the same.

miriam101
05-22-2008, 03:24 PM
welcome mommy23monkeys

I did more exercise - I know I probably won't get any done on Saturday, so I have to try a little harder today/tomorrow. So I did 15 minutes of zumba! Between the gym and the zumba, I'm going to be one sore chickie tomorrow!! :)

Shay
05-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Great job MiriamAnne!

Welcome mommy23monkeys!

I'm thinking of buying new exercise clothes too. Shoot I was just near Sports Authority today too. I'm thinking of going to Target instead. We'll see. Its back to the gym tomorrow for me.

gahundy
05-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Hey, I may have found my new home!
This is really bad...I work in an exercise facility and have access to equipment and classes pretty much whenever i feel froggy enough to do it, and i still find reasons not to. i haven't even made it on a treadmill all week, and that's usually the EASIEST thing for me to do.
Every night i lay out my sweats and set my alarm clock n hour early and say to myself "tomorrow i am going to get up and walk to the park (it's only a couple of blocks from my house) and jog the walking track" and of course every morning the clock goes off and i promptly reach over and turn off the clock and go back to sleep.
maybe here i can get the kick in the seat i need to do what i plan on doing!

MonteCristo
05-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Welcome gahundy! I will do my best to see that you get that kick in the pants! ;)

mrsaugie
05-22-2008, 10:35 PM
ok so i took 2 more days off. no more for the rest of the month. i think next month i have to up my days off. tomorrow it WILL be back at it.

Miriam-- great job. i actually enjoy that sore feeling sometimes because that way i know that i really did a good job and it will pay off in the end.

mommy23monkeys and gahundy-- :welcome:

everyone else that i may have missed keep it up.

miriam101
05-23-2008, 01:39 AM
Waaaaaahhhh
I'm sooooooooo sore ;)

mrsaugie
06-06-2008, 11:16 PM
6/6-- taking today off.

Vladadog
06-07-2008, 03:26 AM
I posted here before the crash that I'm a very reluctant exerciser. I take my dogs for a daily ramble in the woods but it's not a strenuous hike for me (the dogs of course get plenty of exercise - they are not reluctant exercisers at all!) but anything more than that is hard going for me.

I work the graveyard shift three nights a week and have time during the night when I could exercise if I could only motivate myself. I can't do anything too stenuous - I can't change into workout clothes for one thing - but I could do something like simple yogo or even just stretching exercises.

The tough part is getting myself to actually do it. So I'm hoping I will find inspiration here from the other reluctant exercisers!

MonteCristo
06-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Wow, I'm gone for a couple of days, and the whole joint falls to pieces! ;) We must not use this as an excuse to slack off though. Keep up all the good work! :cheer:

Shay
06-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Vladadog--That's what we are here for. I've noticed since I've purchased my HRM I want to exercise more. I have exercised 3 times this week. Having the time and energy is another story!

MonteCristo--I know, I was so lost without 3FC.

miriam101
06-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Dang I'm so out of it haven;t been to the gym since wednesday for techinical reasons and the soonest I'll be getting there again os on tuesday - if I'm lucky - and with everyone in the house i can't do zumba and it's too darn hot to go outside

:(

Shay
06-08-2008, 04:39 PM
It's hot as heck here too, Miriam. I think although I'm in my ac'd to the max apt the weather has got me feeling lazy.

A few months ago I started the Couch to 5K program and just stopped on Week 6 which was just stupid. I plan to start a different running program today. Hopefully I will stick with this one.

In case I haven't mentioned it, I think I did in the original post to start this thread that I am an exercise equipment, exercise accessories, and exercise video/dvd whore. I have so much that I am truly wasting my money on a gym membership (well I only pay $18/month now in dues, its paid off). So all this to say that I am thinking about buying something else. I've been intriqued about kettlebells for a bit now. I've only seen where you can buy the video and have to buy the kettle bells separately. I just watched an infomercial where can get the kettle bells and dvds and a couple of other things all together. The website is www.getkbells.com. Most likely I will check on e-bay too because I am always looking for a bargain. I have to meet some goals first. I haven't decided what they are yet.

Shay
06-08-2008, 04:50 PM
I forgot you can get kettle bells at www.gofit.net with a dvd but I don't want to start out with 10lbs so I would have to purchase my kettle bell separately.

gahundy
06-09-2008, 11:26 AM
well my weekend was a bust as far as exercise goes. i didn't do anything "planned". it was just too darned hot! but that is just one of the many excuses i use, b/c in the winter time i say i don't b/c it's too darned cold. i have gym membership so both points are really moot. anyway, i will be back at it today. 30min on the treadmill, today it is going to be the pyramid. can't wait. yeah right! did i mention that i hate to workout? it just sucks! but it is good for my heart so i will do it! i will not let my brain hold my butt hostage!
good luck to everyone today, it's a new week so let's get moving!!!

miriam101
06-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Gosh, I'm so happy to be in the company of other exercise - not-lovers. So many people on this site are loving all their workouts. Phah. Hate it.

tomorrow I'm going to aim to go to the gym, hope I can get my sorry a$$ out of bed at 6 AM to get there. GRRR.

I just want to sit naked in front of a fan. :( Hate this heat.

Shay
06-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Miriam--LOL about sitting in front of the fan naked!

I have exercised two days in a row now. I will never say I love to exercise. It is a means to an end. I feel better and accomplished afterwards but I am a clock watcher. Getting my HRM has made a difference. It makes me push myself a little more.

Shay
06-10-2008, 12:33 AM
I don't know if anyone noticed the sticky at the top that these threads will move to the main support groups area. In the next few days. Look for this there soon.

miriam101
06-10-2008, 03:25 AM
Hi Shay - I'm with you on being a clock-watcher!! What's an HRM? I did 40 minutes on the treadmill at the gym today and <very> limited floor exercises - given that I only slept under 4 hours I'd say that's preeeety good!

gahundy
06-10-2008, 08:50 AM
well i got in my 30 minutes on the treadmill yesterday. i would have to say that i too am a clock watcher. i want to get in there and get it over with and go home. i don't hang out, i don't lose track of the time. i do my 30 and hit the road!

MonteCristo
06-10-2008, 09:46 AM
A HRM is a heart rate monitor.

Shay
06-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks for answering the question Monte Cristo.

When I'm on the treadmill at home I have to have a good dvd in or a good show on or sometimes I have a magazine to read bc I'm so bored. I know that's why I have so much exercise stuff too because I am easily bored with exercise. I plan on buying myself an ipod for my b-day so that will help too.

To earn my kettlebells kit with dvds I've decided I need to exercise for 4 weeks straight at least 3x/wk. This is week 1.

MonteCristo
06-11-2008, 05:21 PM
I like the way you think Shay. What better way to earn new exercise equipment than with exercise? I LOVE my ipod. I got a big one (80gig), so I wouldn't ever have to worry about space, and to tell the truth, my stuff is still rattles about in there, even though I've been constantly adding stuff for almost a year! I've probably mentioned this before, but I love listening to audiobooks while I run, so I've got at least 10 books on their right now, plus I get two new ones every month.

And speaking of books, have any of you ladies ever read/listen to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? It is absolutely hysterical, especially if you can get the version read by Stephen Fry. I listen to it over and over again, even though it sometimes makes running difficult when I'm trying not to laugh out loud!

I'm kind of bummed out on exercise right now. All I'm doing is my running (5x a week). I started up the 30 Day Shred the other day, but I shut it off after about 30 seconds. I haven't been feeling totally up to snuff, and that is probably most of the problem. Tomorrow is going to be SO great (boy, do I love my rest day!!).

karen0117
06-11-2008, 06:04 PM
New to 3FC and glad to find this forum. Definitely fit in reluctant exerciser program. Hoping to find inspiration here.

I started my diet on May 31 and have walked 30 minutes daily, the real problem is doing the strength training I'm supposed to do 3 times a week. So far I have stuck with the schedule but I dread it every time.

mrsaugie
06-11-2008, 10:21 PM
well i am again in my slump. ARRRRGGGGG!! boy do i need to get out of it allnd quickly or another year will pass and i will still be where i am know. i am hoping to be close to goal by the end of the year but at this rate it will never happen. gals just hepl keep me in line at sticking to it.

Karen0117--- Welcome

Shay
06-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Okay everyone I completely lost my mind today and agreed to do the Marine Corps Marathon 10K with 3 co-workers. I just started my new running program this week and agreed to do this. I can't decide if I want to walk it or try to do walk/run intervals. It's not until October. I think it will be fun and I'm not really new to running I just need to get going again.

miriam101
06-12-2008, 03:23 AM
Shay - enjoy that! I would never think of committing to anything that has to do with exercise...

Monte - I LOVE hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy - I have the complete 4 book trilogy + mostly harmless. never saw the movie, but it's a book that just love to read again and again!

mrsaugie - you can do it? what's preventing you form exercising?

I went to the gym today - 5 minutes on treadmill at 1.5% incline. i'm beginning to like the incline as it's easier on my knees

MonteCristo
06-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Miriam - I've heard that the movie is, well, a load of dingo's kidneys. I hate watching movies of books I adore anyways, so I'm staying far away from it. If you ever get a chance to listen to Stephen Fry read it, jump on it. His voice characterazations are so great, that now when I'm reading the book, I can hear his voice as I read. Unfortunately he doesn't do the rest of the series, but Martin Freedman does a pretty good job.

mrsaugi - I'm so sorry that your in a slump. I'm in a mental one right now, simply dreading any exercise. Well dreading may not be the right word. How about loath? Or depise. Anyway, I'm sure it'll pass for the both of us.

Karen0117 - Welcome to the Reluctant Exerciser's Support Group!

miriam101
06-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Monte - dingo's kidney, LOLOLOL!!!

I first read the Restaurant at the End of the Universe in 1986, been hooked ever since! <yes - it was an odd choice of reading material for a 10 year old, but apparently I enjoyed it!> After living in London I appreciated the humor so much more (understood about Crikket and the stump, etc)

I'd like to hear the audiobooks - sounds fun! I also enjoyed listening to Artemis Fowl <read by Adrian Dunbar I think>

Anyway - about exercise:
I need to figure out some kind of plan for the weekends <read: Friday and Saturday, for me Sunday is a weekday> because I do NOTHING. Nothing but eat, of course, haha.

miriam101
06-12-2008, 05:27 PM
GRRR! I HATE EXERCISE!
Someone I thought was going my direction gave me a lift "home" and dropped my off half an hour away from my house AT THE BOTTOM OF A STEEP HILL and I was FORCED to walk up the darn thing! I felt like crying in the middle!

BUT -

I didn't pass out, I didn't get a stitch in my side, I am not crying in pain <we'll see what it's like tomorrow :P > soI guess the treadmill is doing something good! I walked up at a very brisk pace even though it was a steep incline.

HAPPY TO BE HOME! PHEW!

mrsaugie
06-12-2008, 08:55 PM
i am in the middle of packing to move in a couple of weeks so hopefully when it is done i will be back at it full force.

miriam101
06-13-2008, 01:25 AM
mrsaugie - packing and moving is GREAT exercise!! :)

MonteCristo
06-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Well, I don't have much to report. Thursday is my usual rest day, so I didn't do any exercise then, and my back and knee were hurting yesterday, so I skipped that workout also. I did run this morning, so I'm still making progress. Monday I'm suppose to run a whole mile straight through. I'm getting tired just thinking about it. :D

Shay
06-14-2008, 10:35 PM
I exercised 6 days this week! I completed week 1 of the 10K training program. That also means I have made it a 1/4 way to my goal of earning my kettlebell workout. It's funny that although the 10K is months away I can already picture myself there on the day of the event. I already know I want to wear a skirt. The thought of my thighs rubbing together in shorts or capris for that amount of time is not appealing. It will be in October so we will see.

mrsaugie
06-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Shay-- great job.

my goal for this week is going to be 3 days along with the packing. July 4th is moving day.

Shay
06-15-2008, 02:35 PM
For some reason I am exhausted today. It is nearly 1:30pm and I've only eaten breakfast. I don't feel that hungry it may have to do with the fact that I am having a love affair with the bathroom today. I don't even know what that is about. Not sure if I will exercise today. I'm feeling like that might not happen. I do plan to exercise Mon-Wed and we shall see from there.

mrsaugie--Moving is not fun but it burns a lot of calories.

miriam101
06-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Totally bummed out today.
1/2 hour on the treadmill at the gym and that was that, I thought I would do more but the TV was down and walking for 40 minutes doing nothing is just too much for me!!
I went on a 20 minute walk now up and down inclines, so that's also something.
It would be more motivating for me if I saw some encouragement from the scale!!

ipanema
06-16-2008, 03:47 PM
This is exactly how I feel. Once the exericising is over I am extremely proud of myself for doing it, but I have a hard time becoming motivated. I dread the thought of starting also

Oh, this is SO ME!! Maybe somehow we got the idea that we have to like it in order to do it.

miriam101
06-17-2008, 04:49 AM
How about this one?! Just found out about "The Biggest Loser" (yes, I know, no-I'm not from another planet, just another country...) and I LOVE IT!
I'm home from work today, set up the HOME treadmill (haven't done that in MONTHS) and watched the whole first episode of season 4 while brisk walking - I did 5 MILES!!!!!!!!!!!
Never done that much before in my life!!!!!
I'd sure like to lose with the people on the show! Thank you NBC! LOL

MonteCristo
06-17-2008, 09:59 AM
We do our own version of The Biggest Loser here on 3FC. We are in the middle of one right now, but I believe that a new one will be started shortly after this one ends (August 9, I think). Keep an eye out, and you can join in on the next round.

miriam101
06-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Thank you Monte Cristo -
I hope that by the time the new 3FC challenge rolls around - that I won't even need to participate :)

But if I do.....How do I join anyway?
Here's hoping!!!

MonteCristo
06-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Miriam - A couple weeks before the challenge starts you should start seeing stuff about it. There will most likely be a signup thread in The Biggest Loser Challenges Forum [Fitness - Exercise - The Biggest Loser]. You just put your name down, and then there will be another thread for you to put your starting weight.

miriam101
06-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks!

Check this one out: I just came back from the dietitian, and my BMI is now 29.7 - -
I AM OVERWEIGHT!!!!

No more "morbidly obese"

Just thought I'd share - the exercise and staying OP are beginning to really pay off!!

MonteCristo
06-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Check this one out: I just came back from the dietitian, and my BMI is now 29.7 - -
I AM OVERWEIGHT!!!!

No more "morbidly obese"

Just thought I'd share - the exercise and staying OP are beginning to really pay off!!

Good for you! :cheer: These little victories are SO encouraging. I just noticed the other day that I've got less to lose than I've already lost, so I danced a jig around the living room. :carrot: I think my family thought I had lost my mind! :D

miriam101
06-17-2008, 04:46 PM
LOL Monte - my husband always thinks I've lost it when I start dancing!! :)

Shay
06-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Miriam--You should definitely join the next challenge if needed. It is quite motivating. Many times it gets people through a plateau or helps them to lose those last few! Congrats on being overweight:)!

MonteCristo--Makes it seem like there is an end in sight,now doesn't it?

Really stressed here and pressed for time which I know exercise is a stress reliever for me. Odd, huh? It takes everything in me to get up and exercise but once I do it I feel so much better.

miriam101
06-18-2008, 03:31 AM
I did another 3 miles today - can't believe it :)

MonteCristo
06-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Where is everybody? Did you get lost when the thread moved? Come on ladies, we can do this. We can become lean, mean, exercising machines. All it takes is a little fortitude, coupled with encouraging and accountability. So, what have you been up to?

MonteCristo
06-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Okay, I'll kick this off. :D

likenoother - Sorry you're having a stressful time, but I suppose it is a good thing that exercise is a destresser for you. Just one more motivation! Unfortunately for me the only thing that will destress me is making a great deal of noise, like playing the piano with all the gusto I can manage, or destroying something with a sledge hammer. :shrug:

Miriam - Congrats on the 3 miles! You are awesome!! :carrot:

I reached a new milestone in my running. Monday I ran 2 one mile sprints (5 mins walking in between). I was SO proud of myself. I actually can run one mile (although, admitedly not very fast). Tuesday I was suppose to back off to recover, and I did need it, as my calfs and knees were hurting, but today I'm scheduled for a 1.25 mile run. I'm getting so close. Just two weeks and I'll be running 2 miles! :cheer: :carrot:

Shay
06-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Miriam--Great job on the 3 miles!

Monte Cristo--Sounds like you are progressing so well with your running program.

I am on Week 2 of my 10K training program. Things seem to be going pretty well. I haven't made excuses not do it yet so that's good. Also I've exercised two days this week already so I'm nearly half way to meeting my exercise goal to get my kettlebell workout.

MonteCristo
06-19-2008, 02:34 PM
I managed to run the 1.25 miles yesterday, though my knee hurt pretty bad by the time I got to the end. I extended my cool down about 10 extra minutes, and that seemed to help, but my legs are still a bit sore today. Fortunately this is my rest day, so they should be good to go Friday.

miriam101
06-19-2008, 06:16 PM
I was on the treadmill this morning and just not into it and my thigh started bigging me, but instead of totally giving up - i did 35 minutes, and then another 15 on a bicycle. And now I'm so sore I could cry!!! LOL

you guys are so much more fit than me - I can't run even 1/4 of a mile, and certainly wouldn't train for no 10K! I'm a fat momma!! :)

Shay
06-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Miriam--I'm a morbidly obese 4'11" woman so I definitely am not fit but I am working on it. I am going to link the 10K training program here for you to see. I am on week 2 so I am only doing 1 minute run intervals. I will also post a link to the Couch to 5K program. A lot of people on 3FC start running using this program.

Couch to 5K program: www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

13 Weeks Beginner Running Program-Goal-10K Race: http://completerunning.com/dawn-on-the-run/wp-content/trainingplans/13weeks.html

Monte Cristo--Be careful don't over do it. I used to frequent www.coolrunning.com all of the time and they talked about how new runners try to do too much and then just quit running or get injured so please pace yourself.

miriam101
06-20-2008, 08:13 AM
Thanks, Shay

I bookmarked the page and will see how it goes

MonteCristo
06-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Miriam - If I can run, anybody can do it. I was the kid who couldn't run across the backyard without getting winded. I'm using the 8 week beginners running program from http://www.runningplanet.com/training/beginners-guide.html to work up to two miles. I really like it, and I've been able to stick with it (not one of my strong suits).

Shay - Thanks for the concern. I've read a lot of that stuff too, and if my leg still hurts when it is time for my next workout, then I'll probably skip it. It feels fine right now though, so it probably won't be a big deal tonight. I have a hard time with moderation, but I've been careful with this program because I really want to succeed. I'm actually finishing up week 7, but I added an extra week in two different times to ease some of the tougher areas. Because I'll be on vacation most of next week, I'll probably be adding another week, so I should make it to the end of the program in two weeks. Then I get to start training for the 5K!

miriam101
06-20-2008, 10:42 AM
I can't walk up a flight of stairs without becoming winded! Every now and then I've tried a burst of running on the treadmill - I doubt it's even running - really like jogging at about 5mph and I can't even do it for a minute at this point!

How fast do you jog? How fast do you run?

I have short little legs (I've only got 2 inches on you, Shay) and the speeds just kill me.

MonteCristo
06-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Miriam - I'm actually jogging, and I only go 4.6 miles per hour. That is really slow for running, and I'm quite a bit taller than you are, which makes speed easier. You may want to try going even slower. How fast can you comfortable walk? My jogging is just barely past the absolute fastest I can speed walk without being thrown off the treadmill. I'm planning on easing it up to 5mph after I finish this first program.

As for only going 1 min, I started out with 30 seconds with 5 minutes of walking in between. Sounds a bit ridiculous on paper, but it was tough! If you do want to get into running I would definitely recommend that you find plan that looks good to you and follow that, don't just try to come up with your own. The one I use is on the website I posted earlier (runningplanet), and I'm sure that the one Shay mentioned is just as good, plus there are tons of other ones floating around the web.

Shay
06-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Miriam--The speed kills me too. I am going really slow because my goal is to finish. The lowest for running is 2.5 and the highest is about 3.2-3.3. My BF says it looks like I am in slow motion. Oh well I'm doing it though. Anything higher and my legs would not be able to keep up with the belt on the treadmill, I would not finish, and I'd be exhausted. Oh yeah, then I would quit and not want to do it. A few years ago when I was running outside I could push a little faster, 10-13 minute miles. Granted I weighed 60lbs less than I do now at the time. I won't take my running outdoors probably until September. Train outside Sept & October for the 10K.

Monte Cristo--Thanks for posting your link. I clicked on the 10K one. It looks like a place to go after finishing this program I'm doing now.

miriam101
06-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Thank for the links! I think maybe I'll try tonight to get onto one of these programs. Hard to decide which one though. I kind of look at it as a "last chance workout" as Sunday morning is my weigh in!! LOL

I walk usually between 4.5 - 5.6 kph, one sec, I'll look up a converter:
2.79 - 3.47 mph - is my brisk walking speed, which I usually do at 1% incline. <I find the incline to be nicer on my knees>

Sometimes I up it to 8.2 kph (5 mph approx) and jog for a little while but I get winded so quickly.

so what is RUNNING? :)

Shay
06-21-2008, 08:58 PM
That's a good question, Miriam. I am definitely jogging not running.

MonteCristo
06-22-2008, 06:02 PM
I guess running would just be faster than jogging. :shrug:

MonteCristo
06-23-2008, 10:22 AM
I didn't do any exercise yesterday. :o My aunt, uncle, and baby cousin came in last night, and we spent the time we weren't in church getting the house ready for their visit. I hope that I can get in my run today (1.5 miles :carrot: ), but I'm not guaranteeing anything. We leave for the lake Tuesday right after I get off work, so I know I won't get in any exercise then, but I plan on at least doing some walking while we're there. We should be back on Friday so I'll be able to get back on track this weekend. I hope you ladies have a great week!

HoneyMustard
06-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Hello All,
I myself am exercised challanged. I've been a couch potato all my life and really don't know how to encourage myself to do it, untill "You are What You Eat" comes on. Then the guilt sets in. Since I don't have any equiptment, I've been walking up and down on some phone books for an hour. (Does anyone know how many calories are burned doing this?) Sometimes I will do mock crunches whlie reclining in bed, watching tv for about 20 min.

I would like to get a treadmill, but am afraid that I'll end up with something rinky-dink and will fall apart as soon as I step on it. Excuses always trip me up!! What would be a decent price range for one?

Really need encouragement in this aspect!!!

MonteCristo
06-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Hi heavyandhomebound, and welcome to our little group!

My mom got our treadmill from ebay, and I believe she paid around $300 for it. It isn't really fancy (i.e. confusing) but it certainly gets the job done. We've had it for about 7 years, and haven't had any problems with it.

mrsaugie
06-23-2008, 06:37 PM
all right so i did not exercise at all last week except sat. i danced at my BIL wedding. that was it so my goal for this week is once again 4 days.

MonteCristo
06-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Well, I'm heading out the door for vacation. I'll "see" you ladies when I get back!! Have a great week!!

HoneyMustard
06-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Hello again,
After I posted yesterday, my show came on and motivated me to move. Phonebook steppin for an hour makes me sweat, and I figure if I can sweat for an hour, its good enough!

I'm really glad I did it because when I weighed myself this morning, I was 2lbs lighter! WOOOO HOOOO!

No excersize today, but will do some gardening, and maybe some dusting.

Good Luck to Everyone!

miriam101
06-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Monte - hope you have a great time!

Heavyandhomebound -WTG! Keep it up! I find watching good shows helps me get motivated

ImpalaHoarder
06-25-2008, 08:42 AM
I hope it's not too late to join!

I pretty consistently exercise for a while and then burn myself out, and then can't seem to get started again. This time around I'm trying to prevent it by only running 3 days a week and saving the others for strength training plus a day of rest. Yesterday was a near miss- I hadn't run in a few days and I nearly talked myself out of it, but around 12:00 I finally just went and did it, apprehensive as I was. And I think the break helped, because not only was I able to keep going for quite a while (lately my endurance has been shot and I was worried), but I managed to run (for a given value of run- I was slowly jogging) for a whole hour, which beats my previous longest time by 5 minutes.

Now if I could only do that five times! Ah well, baby steps!

HoneyMustard
06-25-2008, 01:32 PM
I have to exercise again today??!! AGGGGGHHHHH!

I've been trying to get my DH to walk with me around the neighborhood, but to no avail. Besides, with all the wildfires in the area, the air here is really not to good to be breathing. This is either the 3rd or 4th day of smoky skies.

When I weighed myself this morning: I am down another 2lbs.! My head is swimming!! Ah, swimming. I wish I had pool right now!

Dixiemae
06-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Hello Everyone~I found this thread while seriously looking for some motivation and support in my exercise adventure. I tried the fitness thread. I just didn't fit in there no matter how hard I tried. Everyone there was WAY more advanced than I. It felt like any accomplishment I made was overlooked by some one lifting umteen hundred pounds doing bicep curls.

Once I can get going I don't mind exercising, its just getting up off my butt to do it. I have Osteo Arthritis in both hips and both knees. My knees have been aching for the last 2 weeks. Granted I am supposed to take Arthritis medication. I read the side effects list and just about fell off my chair. I have not taken them in about 3 months. I take tylenol extra strength, helps moderately. I got my Arthritis Today magazine in the mail today. I cried and cried. All these other people effected by ao and not letting it slow them down. What is wrong with me. Where is my motivation to not let it control me? Where is my dream to continue on? I need to get up off my pitty party and find a way out of the spiral that drags me down.

Is this the right group for me? Do I fit in here? Can room be made for me? I think once I get a few issues behind me I will be much better, more like myself. But for now can some one light a fire under my heel? If not that is okay, don't feel bad about it. I don't want to bring the group down. Thanks Pat

HoneyMustard
06-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Hello Dixiemae and ImpalaHoarder, I want to welcome you both to this thread. I don't see an awful lot of people here, so it's nice to talk to someone. It's my understanding that anyone can join any thread. So welcome, welcome.

I know I REALLY need help with my motovation, and joined this group hoping to recieve it. I feel I will be posting here regularly.

Congrats on getting moving in the first place Dixiemae!! I know many with OA and can understand it's a big obsticle espcially when it comes to exercise. Good for you for working through it!

I did do my phonebook steppin today, but I really didn't want to. Instead of watching the same thing as always, I put in a Netflix movie. Worked out great. I can't believe how red my face looks afterward! It's a good sign I'm doing something right.

miriam101
06-26-2008, 01:27 AM
Hiya people

I did 40 minutes on the treadmill yesterday on 7% incline - whew! mountain climbing! afterwards my thighs were so sore <and still are> I culd just cry. I also did some floor exercises - learning how to use resistance bands.

Funny thing happened to me - I started a series of 12 B12 shots - gotten 2 so far - and so when I started to jog on the treadnmill yesterday - I had SUCH a pain in my BUTT - right at the injection site!! that I had to stop jogging and only walk.
hmph -= doesn't seem fair that taking care of my health in one respect bothers a different one. oh well.

good luck on you exercise regimes, new people!!

HoneyMustard
06-27-2008, 04:58 PM
I just wanted to say to EVERYONE, keep it up, and keep going.

I am having an awful day today! But in spite of everything, I did my excercise..... while watching Shrek 3!(cheered me up a little) Yea! Another hour behind me! I think I will rest for the weekend.

MonteCristo
06-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Welcome Impalahoarder & Dixiemae! Everyone is welcome here. I hope you find at least a small measure of encouragement here with us.

I just got in from vacation. Definitely made some memories. Some kind of 6hour bug decided to wind it's way through our family, which made things a bit more exciting than could be desired, but we still had fun, and now we are totally exhausted. I didn't get any "official" exercise in, but I'm WAY more tired after three days of "vacation" than I would be if I had run 1.5 miles the last couple of days. Tomorrow I'll jump back in with the running again, but this evening I'm just going to chill.

MonteCristo
06-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Whoa! We almost got bumped off the front page. I can't let that happen! Keep up the good work!!

miriam101
06-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Welcome home Monte! I'm trying to overcome the urge to skip the gym with the excuse of my aching backside and pounding headache - but I think I'll go there anyway.... I'll work on strength training. Wish we had boxing stuff there! I'd like to pound someone!!!!!

HoneyMustard
06-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi All,

Something almost unbelievable happened yesterday! While watering my garden, I asked my DH, halfheartedly, if he would go for a walk around the neighborhood. To my surprise he said "allright, lets go". I nearly fell over!

After 15 years together, this is first time we actually walked, just to walk. We went around once, stopping to observe the birds, and checking out the wild wheat growing in the field behind us. When we arrived home, I decided to go around again! It took me 7 minutes!

I actually feel stronger, and my weight is going down. But I don't SEE any difference in my body, and my clothes still feel the same. I am down 14lbs.

MonteCristo
06-28-2008, 06:27 PM
heavyandhomebound - Are you taking measurements? Sometimes we get so programed to see ourselves at a certain size that we just can't see the changes as they happen. If you take your measurements at regular intervals (I do it once a week), then you can track the changes in your body over time. I am quite sure that having lost 14lbs (congrats!) your body must be getting smaller, even if you aren't able to see it yourself.

Dixiemae
06-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Hi Everyone, thank you for the warm welcome here. Being new and not knowing what all is going on just yet. What is the challenge everyone was talking about? what is the current thing the group is into? Do I fit into a team type thing or a do my own thing? I need to get up and going on something even if I start out small and work my way up to bigger better workouts. I don't go to the gym, I need to do something close to home. Please clue me in! Pat

HoneyMustard
06-29-2008, 10:40 AM
MonteCristo-thanks for that! I remember measuring myself for sewing, and I think my waist was around 43" (I cant remember, or find where I wrote that down). I just took a measurment and it read 41"! Now thats something to see!

Dixemae-I had to start out small too, and still not up with everyone else here, but I know that no matter what, I HAVE TO MOVE THIS BODY! Right now, all I'm doing Monday, Wedsenday, Friday, is steppin on phonebooks for an hour, switching feet every 10 minutes. I am also trying to get out my house and walk. And I am looking into a teadmill.

Does anyone else have any easy excercise ideas for us. I too don't go to the gym.

MonteCristo
06-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Dixiemae - A couple of us are involved in the Biggest Loser Challenge that is going on right now. If I understand correctly, this is something 3FC does on a regular basis, so you could join in on the next round (this one ends Aug 9th). We don't have any specific thing that we do in this group, we mainly work as accountability partners. Right now I'm working on running. I've gone from not being able to run at all, to doing 1.5 miles in two months. There are countless workout programs out there to chose from, many of them specifically designed so that you can do them at home with minimal equipment (usually just a pair of hand weights). Check a few out, find one that works for you, and jump right in.

Edit: I enjoyed doing Denise Austen's Shrink Your Female Fat Zones when I first started exercising. I just got the book, not the dvd, but it was very easy to follow, and all you need is a pair of dumbells and a pillow.

miriam101
06-29-2008, 12:45 PM
I went to the gym today - I think I deserve a reward for that! I went to bed at 2:30 AM and got up at 7 - ugh. Anyway - I did the weights and strength machines and I was happy I did anything. Hope I'll get back into doing stuff.

Where's mrsaugie?

Dixiemae
06-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Hi Everyone

Monte Cristo and Heavyandhomebound~Thank you both for the ideas to exercise. Heavy do you use a regular phone book. My towns phone book is fairly thick. Do you secure it some how so it doesn't slip on the floor? That is a great idea for me to use. Also the Denise Austin book I think I can get at the local library. I can give it a try before buying it. I can try ebay. This is fantastic. I am interested in doing the next challenge in mid August. Please let me know when it starts.

I did get some exercise today. I mowed the yard. Mind you I had to go it babysteps, do some rest, do some more, rest so on and so forth. I got it done. I also scrubbed the bath tub. Great arm exercise for me.

Tomorrow starts a fresh week, I will really challenge myself to be more accountable for my exercise. Thank you everyone. Pat

miriam101
06-30-2008, 04:10 AM
Hey Pat - that's great! and babysteps are great - doing too much too soon causes burnout in my opinion. Mowing and lawn and cleaning the house are such great ideas because you get double the benefits - the exercise and the clean house/nice lawn :)

HoneyMustard
06-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Dixiemae - I found 2 large phone books to be too much for my knees, so I use 1 large one and 1 half the size, then rubber band the two together. I usually don't have to much of a problem with them slipping. Hey- good for you for babysteps. Keep it up! We just have to keep moving!

Well, it's Monday, and I gave myself the weekend off from excerise. But I did quite a bit of cleaning.

So here I sit, procrastinating(?) I do have some motovation: the chicken quesadilla from jimboys (11 points!) I joyfully wolfed down, and dispite that, I've actually lost a few more lbs. since my last post on this thread.
WOO HOOO! I can't wait to get my ticker in my signature!

Shay
06-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Hey everyone,
I've been missing in action. Welcome to the newbies! I've fallen off the exercise bus and have been ran over twice. Gotta get back on. Like impalahoarder, I get going really good then I get burned out or bored. Everyone here seems to be doing so well. I will use you as motivation!

Dixiemae
06-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Hey Heavy and homebound~Thank you so much for the help! I will try this. My knees won't take a big step or a step work out like most of the dvd's. I am getting the gist that a lot of baby steps add up, some times going for the big bang doesn't work like the baby steps. 3-10 minute workouts add up to 30 minutes just as an all at once 30 minute workout. You are an inspiration to me.

Thank you every one for your support and advice. Pat

MonteCristo
07-01-2008, 09:49 AM
I finally got myself back in my routinue (vacations can be hard to recover from). I'm on the last week of my beginning runners program. Last night I ran 1 mile, then walked for .5 a mile, and then ran another mile. I had forgotten how good I feel when I'm finished running! It was awesome!!

miriam101
07-01-2008, 01:22 PM
WTG!

I don't feel like doing anything. I get these darn shots in my butt and I don't want to even move. And it's too hot to go to the gym and I get all sweaty and I hate going to work like that. :P

Dixiemae
07-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi everyone

Heavyandhomebound~I found 2 out dated phone books. I took elastic bands and banded them together. It works well. I was concerned that they might slip on my wood flooring. They did great. Thank you for the idea. I also found an old Weight Training for Dummies tape. I might try it, if it doesn't have a lot of squats and lunges. The knees just won't take that any more. Thank you for the inspiration.

Everyone have a great day. Pat

Dixiemae
07-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Hi Everyone~I cleaned on the house off and on all day. Got quite a bit accomplished. It amazed me how a whole lot of little bits add up so quickly. I took HeavyandHomebounds lead. I tried the phone book step workout. I did 30 mins. of stepping. My right knee started to ache I felt like I could throw up. I stopped. I had worked up a sweat, it isn't sissy stuff. I will take 2 pain relievers and do another 30 min later this evening. I have found something I can do. I feel good about myself, and, I feel good about the day. The first time in a long while. Thanks Pat

HoneyMustard
07-01-2008, 08:57 PM
DIXIEMAE--I AM SOOOOO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!

To my knowledge, I have NEVER been an inspiration to anyone! Thanks so much. I really needed this today!

By the way, what part of Indiana are you from. I have family in Warren, Hartford City, Marion, Muncie....... just to name a few. I have a huge family!

Dixiemae
07-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Heavyandhomebound. I live near Lafayette, In. Do you have family near here? I did another hour of stepping while watching my baseball game. Yes, you are an inspiration to me. I admire the fact you can do an hour at a time. I will have to work up to that. It isn't sissy stuff, it is a workout. Pat

harmonyBelle
07-02-2008, 02:36 AM
Hi everybody. I'm new to 3FC.
When I saw the title to this thread, I had to investigate. I most definitely qualify as a reluctant exerciser. I know I should exercise regularly for the sake of my health and when I do, it's one less thing to feel guilty about. But like some other posters, I tend to burn out or life gets hectic for a bit and exercise is the first thing to go. So I'm hoping to get a little inspiration and motivation from this group and maybe give a little back too.

I walked today AM & PM.

Shay
07-02-2008, 07:52 AM
:wel3fc: harmonyBelle! Sounds like you are off to good start.

miriam101
07-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Made it to the gym today -
Did warm up on the treadmill - I even jogged a little
and weight machines

Everyone here is in shock from the tractor terror attack

I'm a little shaken too because I was there 2 hours before

MonteCristo
07-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Miriam - I'm glad you're okay. Having that kind of thing happen so near (and so frequently) must cause you a lot of anxiety.

harmonyBelle - Welcome to 3FC and the reluctant exercisers' thread!!

Pat - Good for you!! You've taken the first "steps" to fitness. :cheer:

HoneyMustard
07-02-2008, 12:28 PM
:congrat: Dixiemae! It actually seems like we really CAN do this.

I looked through my address book, and to my surprise, none of my family live in or around Lafayette. Mostly up north, Fort Wayne, South Bend areas. oh well.

I just got off the scale today, and I am down to 229! I can't believe it! Now that's motovation! Today is steppin day, and I feel ok about it!

:welcome2:harmonyBelle! I think I can say that we all are looking forward to knowing you!

Dixiemae
07-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Heavyandhomebound~Drats I was hoping you had family near here. CONGRATS on your weight loss!! Today you made my day. My ball game comes on in 15 min. I will do some stepping while it is on. We CAN do this. Thanks

Miriam~Way to go at the gym! I have not watched the news so I don't know about the tractor terror. BUT I am very glad you and your family are safe.

MonteCristo~Thank you. 189 something here I come. I need the encouragement--this group is great.

Catch ya all later. Pat

miriam101
07-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Hi Y'all

Hoping tomorrow to get to the gym...

Not happy about traveling around Jerusalem though - each attack gives me the heebie jeebies.

Dixiemae
07-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Hi everyone~I did one hour of phone book stepping. I am a little tight in the hips but I feel good. I am pleased with myself that I got up and got moving. Day 2 on my exercise journey. Thanks Pat

HoneyMustard
07-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Miriam- my prayers are with you. I can't imagine what's it's like over there!

Dixiemae-are you doing any stretching before you start steppin? I was also thinking of holding filled water bottles, perhaps lifting from the sides for a little while, or even curl-ups. I know my arms need to start moving, they feel soooooo weak!

Keep up the good work everyone!

Shay
07-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Miriam--I haven't watched the news either but I will be thinking of you. I haven't watched much news since 9/11. My mom was at the Pentagon that day, she survived unscathed, but news just likes to rehash and rehash and never think about the families...oh goodness I've gotten started. Anyways...

heavyandhomebound & dixiemae--You both are inspirations. Just proof that exercising is always possible even with no equipment.

Shay
07-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Oh yeah--heavyandhomebound--the water bottles are a good idea. As you progress sand is a good idea too.

Dixiemae
07-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Hi Everyone~

likenoother~I agree with you 100% they rehash,rehash, and rehash until I cried. News is something I don't watch unless it is a have too thing.

Heavyandhomebound~ I warm up before I start stepping. I should stretch after I finish stepping. I think it would have many benefits for me. I think the bottle filled with water is an excellent idea. Today I experimented a little because my right knee and left hip started aching. I stepped 100 steps left leg leading, then 100 steps right leg leading. Then I did straddle steps 50-50. Then I did over the top 50-50 then I did 20 toe taps each side. Then I did heel taps 50-50.Then I did I combined toe taps and heal taps 20-20. That eased the repetition on my knees and hips. I was sweating when I was done. So I feel like I worked my body. If we add the water bottles as you suggested doing curl ups for biceps, modified lateral raises for our shoulders, and rows: it would help us strengthen our arms and burn more calories. Then as likenoother suggested as we get stronger we could put sand in the bottles to make them a little heavier. Like she said we will be getting a good workout without a lot of equipment. We can go at our own pace. What do you think??

snapless
07-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Hello everyone.

I'm joining this thread because I'm -really- going to need help staying motivated for the next 9 days.

Normally I work out at the local (military) gym every morning. It does not have AC (only essential equipment buildings and the commissary have AC on the military base). Going early in the morning and taking my daughter to the adult/child playroom has worked out great. She plays for an hour and a half, and I get my cardio exercise in on the treadmill/stairmaster/exercise bike/elliptical for that time, all before the non-ventilated room has a chance to get hot.

They converted a racquetball court for the room. It has 2 fans, 1 door, no windows. :lol:

Anyway, they decided to install AC in that room...which is a good thing (I'm not complaining about that!), but in the meantime, I can't use the room while they are doing construction.

Which means I can't take her. Which means I have to wait until my husband gets home from work in the evening. Which means the main cardio room is a sauna.

I went last night and went through double the water I normally do...and had to force myself to continue my normal routine. I'm dreading tonight. :(

harmonyBelle
07-03-2008, 03:11 AM
Miriam, may angels watch over you.

snapless, hang in there. Keep drinking that extra water and listen to your body. You might need to dial back the usual intensity of your workout to keep from burning out in the heat. Remember it's only for 9 days. That AC is going to feel so good. I admire your commitment.

I think I have to nominate my dog as a reluctant exerciser. I got up a half hour early this morning so I could take him for a real walk instead of the usual pit stop in the backyard. It took just over five minutes to get to the street corner and he turned around to go back. At first I thought he just wanted an encore sniff of something, but nope, he was heading home. We've been going for 10 or 15 minute walks for awhile now and I think we tuckered the poor little guy out last night with our hour-long walk. He turns 10 this fall, so I think we better stick to the shorter walks.

However, I need to keep motivated to go for longer walks. Today I walked home from work which took about 40 minutes at a brisk pace.

miriam101
07-03-2008, 04:29 AM
Thank you all for your kind wishes. I did chicken out and not go to the gym today... Oh well, next week is a new week...

LOL harmony about your reluctant exercising dog!! And good for you for persevering and making sure you do your walk yourself.

Suzanne - that sounds rough! But you do sound very focused...

Dixie - you're so creative with your exercise! I enjoy reading about what you do!

Shay - how are you doing? Haven't been around here for a while!

Heavyandhomebound - nothing like scale motivation! Unfortunately - my scale has it in for me - I've been eating fine and exercising, and I've gained 2.2 lbs in a few days, with TOM not due for ages. WTH?!

snapless
07-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Well I made it tonight to the gym. Hot hot hot! I was sweating before I even sat down at the first weight machine. At the second machine I noticed my shins glistening and realized it was rivulets of sweat my calf-length exercise pants hadn't soaked up.

I'm really hating this people. Luckily tomorrow is a holiday, my husband is off from work - so I'm hitting the gym at 6 AM to get my cardio in. Hopefully no one will be there and it will be blessedly cool.

Harmony, your dog sounds like a pip. Every dog I've ever had would have dragged me for miles if I'd allowed it. :p Good on you for exercising even though he didn't want to.

Miriam, have you thought about doing home exercises? Lunges, squats, crunches. If you have an exercise ball and a jumprope you could do all kinds of things. Honestly I'd be scared too. :/ And don't rely only on your scales, break out that tape measure too as well as thinking (or writing down) how you feel. That is always important.

As for being very focused, I guess I am. This time was it for me. I'd done the up-and-down diet-for-a-while and maybe a bit of the exercise-for-a-very-short-while thing and it wasn't working. Everyone has their own bottom - their own place they reach when they've just had enough and want their bodies (and their lives) back and in control. I reached mine about 2 months ago, and I haven't looked back.

MonteCristo
07-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Hi Suzanne, and welcome to the group! I can't believe you have been exercising without air conditioning. I would die! Seriously. Even in our 70 degree house I have to have a fan blowing on me when I run, or I'd probably faint dead away.

Shay, good to here from you. I'm sorry about your mother and your experience. I don't have tv, so I stay away from most of the news, but even the little I do see manages to convince me that the media in general is callous and uncaring.

You know what? I just noticed how diverse geographically this little group is. Japan, Canada, Israel, California, Virginia, Arkansas (not to leave out DixieMae, but your location isn't obvious :D ) That is pretty spread out for a group of less than ten people.

Dixiemae
07-03-2008, 11:03 AM
MonteChristo~I live in Indiana>The Hoosier State. It is raining here today. No outside activity for me today. I will do stepping and stretches later, probably while a baseball game is on. I sneaked in a weigh in, if I can lose .9 pounds by Monday I will weigh 189 something for the first time in so long I cant remember. Exercise does work, it is just keeping the focus, the dream alive. Everyone have a wonderful good day. Snapless~Welcome to the group! Miriam~Please have a safe and healthy day!! Pat

HoneyMustard
07-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Goooood Moorrnniinngg Everyone!

The sun is shining, the birds are singing, it's nice and cool out, my garden is growing, my cats are talking to me, and my husband woke me up with a smile. I'd say my morning is great. It's nice to count so many blessings so early! Miriam, I am sending all this positivity your way!

Welcome snapless! I'm sorry to hear about your gym! That must really suck!

Now, Dixiemae- I love the fact that your switching up the routine. I'm more of a repitition gal, and always loose track when I have to count.

"H&H starts the lead, but here comes Dixiemae pulling into the stretch!" (think of a horseracing anouncer saying this!)lol

Dixiemae
07-03-2008, 02:15 PM
H&H~You have made my day again! You made me giggle for quite awhile. ssssshhhhhhh Don't tell any one, but, I loose track of my counting too. I didn't know at the time why my joints were aching so much, until later when a storm came rumbling through. I won't always need to switch things around, it did work for me yesterday. Tomorrow I might try the water bottles with the stepping workout. Tomorrow is a critical day to do exercise of all the days this week. I will be sitting on my duff playing cards most of the day. I can't become a couch potato because it is a holiday. If the food I eat counts (and it does add up) then so does the exercise (as does the lack of exercise-plus the foods at a big family bbq). I could undo everything I have worked for in one day!! That is another reason I sneaked a weigh in this morning. I am less apt to go off program seeing the scale move downward.

THANK YOU EVERY ONE FOR YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT AND SUPPORT!!!!!!!!! You all came around at an important time in my life. kudos Pat

Shay
07-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Miriam--I haven't been exercising so I haven't been around. Stupid I know. The whole purpose of starting this thread was to get support and be inspired. So I will visit more often. I will do the 3FC 5K at some point this weekend. My plan is to start with a 5 minute walk and then run until I can't anymore then walk again then repeat until I do the 5K. I also need to get on it with my 10K training program.

snapless--I need to get to my bottom right now :)! I think going clothes shopping this weekend will definitely help me get there.

MonteCristo--Regarding geographical locations, I have people that live 30 minutes-3 hours away from me on my team for the "Just Beachy" challenge. 3FC can be a small world too. I definitely love the diversity here.

Dixiemae
07-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Hi Everyone. I just finished 1 hour phone book stepping. I feel good. We are going to go grocery shopping for the bbq tomorrow. I will get in a little walking too. H&H~It is working!!

Shay~A little slump is understandable. It is better to take a little time off than to crash and burn. You will catch fire again. You will be right back on the wagon. Chin up.

Catch ya all later. Pat

MonteCristo
07-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Whew! I just finished a 1.75 mile run (my longest ever). I'm going to try to make it to 2 tomorrow. Is anybody else in the July 4th 5K?

Dixiemae
07-03-2008, 08:30 PM
MonteCristo~Way to go!! I couldn't run half a block! Good luck in the 5k tomorrow. Let us know all about it. Pat

snapless
07-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Hello all,

I made it to the gym this morning and it was blessedly cool. With the fans going it wasn't bad at all.

I'm in a hurry to get showered and get out to the July 4 festivities before it starts raining, so I'll post more later.

Hope you are all having a wonderful day!

Shay
07-04-2008, 10:36 AM
MonteCristo--I'm doing the 5K. Its just a matter of when I may do it. It is July 4th so I may do it today.

harmonyBelle
07-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Despite my best intentions, I didn't exercise yesterday. I worked 11-8 and I let the morning slip away doing household chores and making phone calls. After work it was raining and I was too tired. Excuses, excuses. I truly am a reluctant exerciser.

Today it's gray and overcast and rain looks imminent. But once I post this, I'm logging out and putting on my shoes and heading out the door for my walk.

MonteCristo
07-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Well, I did the 5K, but I wasn't up to running (allergy stuff, plus soreness from yesterday), so I just walked it. I finished in 57 minutes, which isn't note worthy, but I'm going to actually run part of it tomorrow, so it should be a lot better.

HoneyMustard
07-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Wow! Way to Go Everyone!

Iv'e been in slump since I posted yesterday morning. We have guests comming tomorrow, and I've been in a tizzy trying to get the house clean and plan something for food. Thank God hubby's brother is vegan, so I can serve healthy foods. OH NO-did I get something for the meat eaters?!

And I have a confession, I asked mom to bring cheesecake. It came out of my mouth so fast....... You know how you have the angel on one shoulder and a little devil on the other? Even the angel needs cheesecake!

Needless to say, I have not done my steppin today like I should have, but I figure all the cleaning and mopping I did yesterday, made up for it.

Wish me luck!

snapless
07-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Here's wishing you luck heavy! :luck2you:

Not going to the gym this morning. It's already 10 AM and the sun is in force today. Which means the gym is already hot hot hot. :mad:

I usually do yoga on Sunday but I think I'm going to do my yoga (at home) today (which is Saturday for me) and do weight training Sunday instead.

After the sugar spike yesterday I don't really feel up to weight training anyway right now...and especially not in a hot room with little ventilation. :cry:

Hope you all had a pleasant July 4!

Dixiemae
07-05-2008, 02:27 AM
Hi Everyone. I hope everyone had a fun, safe healthy day. I did okay. I am glad I planned ahead. I saved myself some calories that way. I went for a 50 minute walk 9ish this evening. I am happy with the day.

Snapless~forgive my lack of knowledge, I didn't think Japan was that hot of a place. I thought being an island with a volcano it would be more of a pleasant climate. Or is it the time of year? I hope they get the construction done soon so you can be comfortable doing your exercise at the gym.

MonteCristo~Way to go!! You walked almost 5 miles in 57 minutes!! That is hauling sneakers in my book!! I envy you for being able to run

H&H~Enjoy your company. Have a few bites of cheese cake if that is what you are hungry for. Because if you dont you will feel depraved, that could lead to binge eating. Here comes H&H down the home stretch headed for the finish line!! LOL

Catch ya all later. Pat

snapless
07-05-2008, 05:48 AM
Snapless~forgive my lack of knowledge, I didn't think Japan was that hot of a place. I thought being an island with a volcano it would be more of a pleasant climate. Or is it the time of year? I hope they get the construction done soon so you can be comfortable doing your exercise at the gym.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a289/snapless/th_alljapan.jpg (http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a289/snapless/alljapan.jpg)

Japan has a very diverse climate. Okinawa, which is on a southern island, has a climate very similar to Hawaii.

North of where I live, on the northern island Hokkaido, they are directly across the sea from Siberia - it is just as cold and snows about 9 months a year.

Where I live in Misawa, it snows about 6 months a year. We only have a month to 6 weeks where it is really hot here. The problems with the gym having no AC are:

1. Extremely high humidity. We are sandwiched between the ocean (4 km from base) and a huge lake (butts up against the base on the other side).
2. Lots of sweaty bodies. This is a military community and everyone who is military has to stay fit, plus those dependants, retirees, contractors, etc. who want to use the gym must share the gym. There are warning signs everywhere saying you can only use x piece of equipment for x amount of time during peak hours.
3. Little or no ventilation. The gym is old. They are planning on starting construction on a new one next summer, but that doesn't help that the old one was designed poorly with little or no ventilation for most spaces in it. The weight machine room has no ventilation and no fans unless you count the single door upstairs in the stretching room. The cardio room and free weight room have fans and a little ventilation (windows), but not much. The racquetball courts have nothing. The yoga/aerobics room (shared) have nothing as it, like the parent/child room, were converted from racquetball courts.

So it's not so much that it is a hot climate (it's not, really), it's that it is humid and packed and no air. It might be 75 F outside but in the gym it feels like it is 110 F.

HoneyMustard
07-05-2008, 11:32 AM
:hun: mmmmmm cheesecake.

:cbg: Ill eat some for you all, but not eat the whole thing

:rofl: Dixiemae

MonteCristo
07-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Heavyandhomebound - If you just eat one bite of cheesecake for each of us, you should do great. I've never been able to understand why people like cheesecake, but being as I'm apparently the only person in the entire universe who doesn't care for it, it must be me who is the strange one!

Dixiemae - Thanks for the encouragement! I wouldn't want you to think I was too great though , so let me clear something up. I understood 5K to be 3.1 miles, so when I said 5K, I meant I had done 3.1 miles. 3.1 miles in 57 minutes is quite a bit different than 5miles in 57 minutes.

Today I did the 5K again, but was able to run for a solid 1.5 miles, with a few additional spurts along the way, which brought my time down to 47:45, which I am much more pleased with. Maybe by the next one I'll be able to run the whole way!

Shay
07-06-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm at the parents. I plan to do my 5K here. My mom's treadmill faces the wall. UGH! I hope I can make it. She generally listens to her mp3 player.

I started the 100 pushup challenge yesterday. Well I did the initial test yesterday and will start today. For regular pushups I was able to do 5. Girlie pushups I can do 15. I think I will do the 6 weeks program for girlie pushups then move on to regular for 6 weeks. Here is the link on 3FC:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144300

Dixiemae
07-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks Shay I checked it out. I am going to join the challenge. I can do 5 wall push ups. Not a lot of upper body strength. This will majorly help. Pat

Dixiemae
07-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi Everyone~It is a wet one here. Storms rumbled through early this morning.

H&H~I want to thank you for the phone book stepping idea. It was such a blessing for me that you would share with me. It was exactly what I needed. I enjoy doing it. How was my bite of cheese cake?? I hope you enjoyed your time with friends and family.

I weighed in this morning at 189.4 This is the smallest I have been in a year any way. Moving my body along with eating healthy has helped so much. I am going to do wall push ups every day to try to build upper body strength. I will try the water bottles with the stepping. I can not chew gum and walk at the same time. SO we will see. I will catch ya all later. Pat

MonteCristo
07-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Shay - Thanks for the link. I really need to start working on my pushups. I need to be able to do around 30 for the FBI requirement, and right now I probably can't do more than a couple "real" pushups. I think I'll pop over there and take a look.

Pat - Congrats on your new low!

I finally ran 2 miles!! :encore: I've already found myself a 5K program that I'm going to do next, but I think that I'm going to just run 2 miles for a couple of weeks before I begin. I want to get up to 5mph (I'm at 4.8 now) before I start increasing the distance again.

Dixiemae
07-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi~
Today I am reluctant to do anything!! It has been an emotional roller coaster for me today. If I bend over would some one gently but firmly kick my butt so I can get into first gear. Being stuck in neutral is a real drag. I need to do my push ups and get stepping, then fix dinner, I have errands to do. I don't want to do any of it. I need to be accountable!!!!! Pat

MonteCristo
07-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Pat - This is just for you. :kickbutt: :drill: Now get up and DO something!!

:p :D

Dixiemae
07-08-2008, 10:39 PM
MonteCristo~Thank you for the gentle but firm kick in the butt! It was just what I needed to get me out of neutral, get me motivated, make me accountable, and give me a case of the giggles. I did one hour stepping and 4 sets of 5 wall push ups :D. Thank you for supplying the support and encouragement I needed to do what was the right thing for me to do.

Right now it is storming. Think I will watch the rest of my ball game. Relax with my dog. Thank you all!! Pat

MonteCristo
07-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Pat - You're welcome!! That's what we're here for.

My legs were still tired from Monday's run, so yesterday I just walked. I think I'm going to have to readjust my exercise routine. I just can't run two days in a row right now. I think I'm going to do something like this (warning: If you are bored by longwinded descriptions of other peoples' exercise routinues, discontinue reading this post).

Monday, Wednesday, & Friday - Denise Austen's Shrink Your Female Fat Zones Workout. I've done this several times before, so I'll start this time on weeks 3-4. I may look around at some other weight training routinues.100 Pushup Challenge. How awesome would it be to do 100 pushups!?!

Tuesday, Thursday, & Saturday -Running. I'm about to start training for a 5K. I hope to improve my speed as well as my endurance. To get a mid-range score on the FBI fitness test you have to run 1.5 miles at 7.5 mph. I'm only running at 4.8 mph right now, so I've got a ways to go.

Sunday - This is my day of rest. I may get in some incidental exercise (swimming or biking with the kids), but I'm not going to schedule anything.

So, what do you think? Does it sound okay?

Shay
07-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Sounds like you have a good balance going there Monte. 3/3. Do you ever do cardio and weight training on the same day? Congrats on the 2 miles!

MonteCristo
07-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Shay - No, I've never done both on the same day. I just don't have that much time! I've never actually done both types of programs at the same time either. I'll either use a cardio program or a weight program. I'm hoping that combining the two will be more efficient, especially since I've been needing a day of rest between running days. This way I can do weights while I'm resting from the running.

Dixiemae
07-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Hi Everyone

Monte~I should try to follow your exercise routine. I would get some where fast. I am not quite ready for it. One day soon I will be ready. The Shrink Your Female Fat Zone workout is it a book or a dvd? Some times I find her hard to take, she gushes some times. I envy any one who can run. I can walk at 4mph for a short distance, then I need to slow down to 3.5. I don't have my treadmill any more.

Heavyand homebound~Are you out there? I am missing you!!

I did 2 hours of stepping. I ate 4 small pieces of pizza (not slices) for dinner. It was soooo good, but I don't want to undo all the work I have done. I thought I would pick up the exercise for a few days to counter the fat in the pizza. Other wise I was op. Tomorrow I need to be very good eating. I don't want to feel guilty about a small splurge. I still have my sights on a sexy, slinky black dress for Christmas. ;-)) Catch ya all later. Pat

snapless
07-10-2008, 02:46 AM
I am having a really hard time this week. In addition to having a cold, I'm having an extremely painful ToM and haven't been to the gym in 2 days or even done stuff at home.

My lower legs are swollen and painful. I have a headache, some nausea and just feel like crawling into bed and staying there. Haven't fallen off my woe so much other than probably not eating enough food or drinking enough water.

Does anyone else have this problem during their TOM?

MonteCristo
07-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Pat - The Shrink Your Female Fat Zone is available in both a book and dvd, but I use the book. Denise can be little too upbeat! It is divided into three sections, Upper Body, Abs, and Lower Body. My plan is to rotate between Upper & Lower Body, but to do the Ab section each time (my problem area). Great job on the stepping! Two hours is amazing. I don't think I could do any kind of exercise for two hours. The longest I've ever done at one stretch(and this was just walking) was 75 mins. I think that I would die of boredom!!

Suzanne - Sorry your having a rough week. I don't have any kind of problems with TOM (knock on wood), but I can sympathize as my little sister has a horrible time. The first couple of days she basically just curls up in a ball and moans. Fortunately this will soon pass. I'm sure you'll be feeling better in no time.

Dixiemae
07-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Monte~I will check at the library tomorrow to see if they have the book or can borrow it so I can try it out. Again, She is too gushy for me. Her exercises are great, right on target. Thank you for the tip!! The stepping was not boring because I was watching a really good baseball game. My Cubs were winning. It went fairly fast. If it had been a boring game or my team didn't win it would be a different story :-))

Suzannne~I can totally identify with tom. I got cramps to badly I wanted to stay balled up in bed. Some months I couldn't stand up straight for the first 2 days. After I had our first baby it changed, was much more manageable. Hopefully in time it will get better for you. I hope you feel better soon.

Ya all have a good day. Catch ya all later. Pat

Dixiemae
07-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi everyone~I did 1 hour of stepping. my eating is op. I will do some more stepping this evening and I have my push ups to do. I will catch ya all later. Pat

MonteCristo
07-10-2008, 09:32 PM
I just finished my run, and I did 2 miles again. It was quite a bit easier this time (hurray!).

I hope everyone is doing great.

Dixiemae
07-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Monte~WTG!! I went to the library and brought home Shrink Your Female Fat Zones. I don't know what I think of it just yet. I have read about half the book. Have you started on the exercises yet? Please let me know what you think. Are you following her eating plan? I glanced it over, it seems generous. Thanks Pat

snapless
07-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Got my aching body up this morning and hit the gym. Actually feel better after exercising, the swelling in my feet and ankles seems to have subsided a bit.

30 minutes treadmill random hill (1.5-7.8 elev.) 3.5 speed
10 minutes stairstepper lowest setting
10 minutes exercise cycle level 5
10 minutes elliptical lowest setting
30 minutes treadmill no hill 4.0 speed

Hope you are all having a wonderful day!

miriam101
07-11-2008, 07:18 AM
I'm totally not OP for exercising AT ALL!!!
Haven;t been to the gym all week because I started a teaching job for 3 weeks, so I'm just making sure I walk a little more and that's it. Anyway - I believe teaching burns a lot of calories anyway as opposed to my sedentary desk job...

You all are doing great though - WTG and keep it up

MonteCristo
07-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Pat - I'm not really following the plan as such. I'm just using her exercises. I'm already running 3 times a week, so I don't do her walking stuff, and I've created my own diet. I've done this several times before, so I'm already quite familiar with the exercise routinues, well at least the weeks 1-4. I've not yet made it to the 5-6 yet. I think that they are pretty good, and the routinues don't take that long (about 20 mins if I remember correctly). I don't even remember what's in the book, as I read it about two years ago. I copied out the exercise instruction pages and put them in my exercise notebook, and haven't looked at the book since. I'm sure that the program as a whole is good, and would give you great results, but I just can't follow someone else's plan, I've got to tailor it to me, or I just won't stick with it.

Suzanne - Wow! Great job at the gym!!

Miriam - Walking is excellent exercise!

MonteCristo
07-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Well, I went completely off plan (eatingwise) yesterday. We had some unexpected company, so Dad got pizza, and I ate it. It was SO good!! Anyways, I'm back on track now. This morning I ran 2 miles @ 4.9 mph, my personal best.

How is everyone doing?

miriam101
07-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Hey Monte - good for you on the exercise! I get fed up sometimes and think - I'm not OP with the exercise, why not just throw in the towel with the food plan too? Dang. I need to be more focused. Maybe I'll go take a walk later, as after dark it's considerably cooler here.

On second thought - maybe I'll stay home and veg.

HAHA - not hard for me to make the wrong decision-!!
I have a wedding tomorrow and I can't wait! I'll sure get me exercise there! I LOOOOOOVE dancing!!

Shay
07-12-2008, 07:16 PM
I am definitely not OP with exercise. Hence the title of the thread--reluctant exercise support group. I think I haven't exercised since Sunday or Monday and it was only 6 minutes to do Wk1D1 for the push up challenge. Well I will attemp to get back on plan starting tomorrow.

Dixiemae
07-13-2008, 12:27 AM
Hi All~Hope everyone is having a good week end.

Miriam~Good to hear from you. I was getting concerned for your well being.

Likenoother~Don't be so hard on yourself. You will catch fire and jump back on the wagon. Aparentally you needed a break. It is always wise to listen to your body. You will be rested and raring to go.

I did 1 1/2 hours of stepping and 4 sets of 5 push ups. I feel better about the day now. Pat

miriam101
07-13-2008, 09:46 AM
Hey Pat -

I'm also concerned about my wellbeing, haha. Seriously!! :P

Anyways - good to hear y'all are still trekking....

Take care!

Dixiemae
07-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Hi everyone~I did over an hour of stepping while watching a boring baseball game. My team is loosing badly. I did 4 sets of 7 push ups

Miriam~Are you able to get to the gym? Seriously, when I don't see a post from you for a while I get concerned. I hope things are quiet where you are.

Everyone have a good evening. Pat

MonteCristo
07-14-2008, 12:33 PM
I had a lovely rest day yesterday. Today I'm ready for my first official 100 pushups exercises. I hope I don't embarass myself. :o

Shay
07-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Monte--The push up challenge is quite humbling!

Still no exercise--what can I really say for myself? Nothing really. I need to get off my bookie and get going. Well I plan to get on the treadmill during "The Closer" tonight. I so love that show! I am buying my ipod this week and plan to get it so I can get some songs on there and get moving!!!

snapless
07-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Well after another day yesterday of doing absolutely nothing for my body except staying on plan foodwise, I got off my behind and hit the gym this morning:

30 minutes treadmill 4.0 speed no hill, 30 minutes treadmill 3.5 speed 10 elevation

Dixiemae
07-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi everyone~Hope everyone is having a great day.

Talking about exercise my niece, sister and I are going blueberry picking this afternoon. That should rate as exercise. Yummmmm fresh blueberries to freeze and enjoy this winter. I will let ya all know how it goes. So far eating and exercise is op. Pat

MonteCristo
07-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Well I did my first day of my new strength training regime. Thankfully I'm not very sore, just a pleasant "I've been exerciseing lately" kind of warmth in my muscles. The pushups went better than I expected, though I'm not sure I'm going down low enough (I'll have to adjust my mirrors).

Pat - I want some of those blueberries!! Eat a couple for me! ;)

Suzanne - Great job jumping back on the waggon.

miriam101
07-15-2008, 05:03 PM
So interesting how we can change our habits.

I was in a rotten old mood and instead of heading for the kitchen, I went out for a super-power walk for an hour and a quarter!

Yea for a NSV! :)

Shay
07-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Great job Miriam!

I finally exercised yesterday evening. I did run/walk intervals on the treadmill. I plan to get on the Urban Rebounder tonight, do the push up challenge, and some strength training. I will let you know how that goes.

mrsaugie
07-15-2008, 09:05 PM
i have kind of been ashamed to show my face since i have not exercised in about a month. wait why should i be ashamed this is the reluctant exersicers group isn't it?? any way i was going to do it yesterday but the day got away from me and today is close to doing the same thing to me so i think i will get off of my butt and get changed and go do my exercising. i will let everyone know how i did when i am do of maybe tomorrow. :)

miriam101
07-15-2008, 11:47 PM
mrsaugie - that's right - this is the RELUCTANT exercisers, and we come for encouragement :)

WTG shay! What is urban rebounder?

Shay
07-16-2008, 01:46 PM
mrsaugie--Definitely no shame here!

miriam--An urban rebounder is basically a mini trampoline. Mine has a bar I can hook onto the front so I can hold onto for balance. The tramp or bouncy part doesn't have much give so it is a hard workout. I got dvds with it but the guy gets on my nerves so I kinda just run on it and do my own bounce routines. Here is a link: http://www.urbanrebounding.com

I did get on my rebounder last night. I alternated between the rebounder, pushups, and core work for 45 minutes.

miriam101
07-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Shay - sounds interesting! Do you enjoy the workout?
Personally - we had a little trampoline when I was little and I remember getting headaches from jumping on it. Anything like that happen to you?

I did such a good walk yesterday - I'm going to do a little more tonight I think - although I'm DEAD tired - my body needs some exercise.

MonteCristo
07-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Miriram - We have a regular trampoline, and I always get headaches from jumping on it, but then I have neck problems that give me headaches quite frequently anyways.

I completed the second day of the 100 pushup challenge, and the second day of my new strength training (lower body & abs). I'm not near as sore as I was yesterday, but I'm not entirely recovered. I guess that's a good thing!