Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5 feet verticaly challenged & loving it!

Default Does anyone use Flax seed?

Hi all,

I bought ground, meal flax seed that you can add to anything you eat and even substitute butter and oils with it in baking and cooking.

My question is, how much should I be adding to my food (yogurt, cereal etx.) daily? Servings size is 2 tbsp. Is that the max for the day?

I'm not worried about the fat cotent since it's "good" fats. I'm using it for the omega nutrition. Does anyone else use this on a daily basis and how much should I be taking?

TYTY all
DebbieLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I toss ~1/4C flax seed into anything I bake--pancakes, muffins, bread. I haven't ever tried it on yogurt or cereal.

Last edited by Darkblue; 04-13-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5 feet verticaly challenged & loving it!

it actually doesn't taste like anything. I was a little worried when i placed some in my cereal, but it tasted like nothing lol, which is good. ill try adding some to my baking soon. ill have to do a web search and see the daily recommened usage.
DebbieLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:34 AM   #4  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I don't know what serving size you should have, but when I had flax seed, I always put it on top of my fruit and yoghurt, or on top of my cereal, or in a fruit smoothie.

I follow WW so I would just make it a point or 2 points max
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #5  

Default Flax seed best buy?

For myself, I use Rejuv! for my flaxseed meal. It comes easy to measure and has added value of flax hull lignans which are concentrated. Great antioxidant and packed with Omega-3s. Easy to cook with. I order it exclusively from rejuvnow.

I use it daily in my smoothies. I've done the research and it is the best and superior to the flaxseed meal you get at a local health food store or enlightened grocers.

Thanks again for the great post. I hope it is okay to put the link. It is the best place to get flaxseed in my not-so-humble opinion.
azotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I like to use whole flax seed myself.. a serving size is 3tbsp and I generally try to get that every couple days.. When I bak now I put it in anything I bake.. unless I'm not going healthy... LOL.. I put it in the breakfast cereal bars that I make.. and then I'll add it to yogurt or fruit to add a little crunch. I enjoy the taste of them alone also.. they have a nice nutty flavor.. it reminds me a bit of walnuts...
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I add a teaspoon to my morning oatmeal. Sometimes I put some in my peanut butter sandwich.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Heart Smart Cooking Class

My DH and I just attended a Heart Smart Cooking Class and we were served Pumpkin Flaxseed Muffins, and ground flaxseed (two Tablespoons) that we are with yogurt. I had been eating them whole and according to the NUT you can't get the nutritional value if you don't grind them because they are usually passed whole. The following are the recipes that were given to us during the class:

Pumpkin Flax Quick Bread
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
8TBSP water
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. canned pumpkin puree
1/2 c. applesauce
1 c. all purpose flour
2/3 c. whole-wheat pastry flour (sub regular whole wheat)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 9x5 loaf pan or muffin pan.
Whisk together flax and water. Mix in sugar, pumpkin and applesauce. In large bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture; stir until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake loaf for 65-70 minutes or muffins 15-20 minute, until a toothpick inserted in center comes
out clean.

Healthy Oatmeal Cookie
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. white sugar
3/4 c. applesauce
1 1/4 c. flour (AP or wheat)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. flaxseed meal
1/2 to 1 c. raisins, or craisins
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cookie sheet
In medium bowl, stir together the brown sugar, white sugar, and applesauce. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; stir into the applesauce mixture. Add the rolled oats, flaxseed meal, raisins, and walnuts; stir until combined
Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes in oven. Allow cookies to cool slightly before removing from baking sheet.

Hope you enjoy these. They were really good. I subbed in artificial sugars because of DH diet.

Last edited by nanj; 06-09-2008 at 09:18 PM.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I buy whole flax seed and grind it myself. My local paper ran a couple articles on it and they said that if you buy it pre-ground, you lose a lot of the health benefits. I can't remember now exactly what they said, but somehow allowing the flaxseed to sit after it is ground causes some of the benefits to dissipate. So I bought a second electric coffee bean grinder and use it to grind my flax seed.

I usually mix 1/2 tbsp into my yogurt. I think it gives it a nice nutty flavor. If I have some calories available, I might also stir some into the oatmeal or oat bran that I eat as an afternoon snack. But it is high in calories, so I do limit the quantities that I eat. Even good fats should be consumed in moderation.

nanj: How many cookies does the oatmeal cookie recipe make?
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote