Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #1  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

Unhappy Too fat to ride a bike?

Is there a weight limit on bikes?? I decided I would like to try out bike riding and my bf and I have collected 4 bikes over the years...friends giving them away or leaving them and moving..etc. I remember talking with my sister who is a big girl also and she said her bike tires kept going flat while she was riding. Can someone be too heavy to ride a bike? I never thought about it before. Anyone bike ride?
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #2  

I haven't ridden yet this year -- but last year -- at 230 pounds I rode quite a bit -- no flat tires, but if I looked behind me at the back tire, it was crying out (looks flat when I'm on but fine when I get off!!) I have a mountain bike, not sure if that matters.

Last edited by shelby897; 04-13-2008 at 09:03 PM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #3  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I rode my Mountain Bike at about 280. Mountain bikes are less likely to get flats because of how the tires are. I know of quite a few heavy girls riding and guys who have been 300+

I've been riding a road bike lately at my size. With a road bike you have to be concerned about spoke count but most standard wheels should be ok. Mine have less then standard (something like 22?) and I haven't had an issue yet but I'm also lighter then I used to be.

Most bikes unless they are carbon fiber should be fine.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband and I bought bikes at Walmart, the third cheapest model. We eventually want to buy sturdier bikes, but so far they're holding up (and holding us) fine. Last summer hubby was about 400 lbs, and me 360.

The one thing we were told to look for was solid construction rather than spring suspension on the front post and under the seats.

One thing that I did have to do was replace the seat. The seat that came with the bike was way too small (and so incredibly painful I thought buying the bike was a big mistake - I hurt so bad for three days). I bought Walmart's biggest gel seat (you can buy them even wider online, but I'm a cheapskate and I know I could return it at Walmart if it didn't work out). It was a lot better. I might consider buying an even larger gel seat if I get to the point where I can bicycle longer than an hour.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 268.6/265.8/160

Height: 5'7"

If the tires are truly going flat while riding it might be the inner tubes or the valves have gone bad. I had this problem with my mountain bike after I had left it sitting for months. Rubber can break down a bit over time, and bad valves won't hold the air in the tires.

As for bikes in general, I'm 265 and just test rode a Trek Lime on Sunday no problems except my legs muscles certainly weren't used to it. I had to special order to get the color I want, and it should be in tomorrow. I'm so excited! I'm planning on biking to work a few days every week.

Last edited by zardra; 04-16-2008 at 06:50 PM.
zardra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #6  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Heavier people can and do ride bikes with no problem.
Have your sister check the tire pressure before and after riding. If the tires are inflated properly, then some 'squishing' is normal, but the pressure should remain the same. If the pressure is lower after riding, then there is a leak and she should replace the tubes.

I find a wider tire better - when I was heavier. Mountain bikes are extremely heavy, so keep that in mind if you do mostly path and road riding. At a heavier weight, the mountain bikes will be unpleasant to ride (been there). You might look at a hybrid bike.

I have to say that I adore my bike. It's a Schwinn and it was modified to put the hybrid tires on it instead of the road tires. Finding the right fit of bike is crucial and makes all the difference in the world.

Last edited by fiberlover; 04-17-2008 at 08:49 AM.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #7  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

its the tires not the person! you can ride! go for it!! BUY A GEL SEAT !!!! trust me you will want one! LOL
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #8  
Life shouldn't be on hold

S/C/G: 310/307/150

Height: 5'7''

Omg, gel seat... That's what I need. Oh, my poor bum. Do you know where I can buy one?
SoyLaBelleza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Anyplace that sells bicycles should sell them. I got mine in Walmart, which only had two or three types, I chose the largest. Smaller shops that sell only bikes or sporting goods usually have a much better selection, but they're also more expensive. If they don't have what you're looking for, they can order. You can also buy them online.

The Walmart one was cheap, about $20, and worked fine for me. I think I'd want something wider if I were doing day long bicycling or biking on rough terrain, and would then special order from a bike shop or order online.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #10  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

There are also Gel/Neoprene seat covers.

On my Mountain bike I have a wide cushy touring seat with springs in it. It's perfect for the heavier rider. I would never have seat issues or sore backside issues with that one.

I'm trying to get used to a "race" seat on my road bike. I'm still getting the sore butt issue and I weigh less then I did before. I'm going to try a neoprene seat cover. The Gel ones are OK but can slide around. Sometimes it's better to go for the padded bike shorts if that happens.

Also a good pair of bike gloves is probably more important when your heavy because most of us when beginning have bad core strength and tend to lean on our hands a bit much.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/150/135

Height: 5'4

You'll be fine, I do recommend that you get a nice gel cushioned seat. I have on made by bell (spent $25 at WM for it) and it's heavenly. Bike riding is great exercise.
ShannanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 320/270/160

Height: 5'8"

Last year, I was doing a ton of riding - up to 100 miles a week. You'll find that once you are used to riding, those wide gel seats are anything but comfortable for longer rides - for me that was anything over about 15 miles. I ended up buying a women's specific saddle that was much narrower, but I didn't end up with near the chafing and saddle sores that I had with the wider, "more comfortable" seat. In the end (no pun intended!!) it's what will get you on and keep you on the bike.

Also, from experience, I'd recommend a hybrid rather than a mountain bike if you're going to be riding on pavement. A hybrid's tires are wider without the knobby tires of a mountain bike. I ride a Giant Sonoma. The extra money for a good bike was well worth it over the Wal-Mart bikes.
KristyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #13  

I am also planning to get a bike...I'm glad I read this thread about the gel seats.
vegani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:49 AM   #14  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I wanna get a bike too. I haven't rode in years ...........Def. want one of those big comfy seats though!
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 264/264/140

After reading this thread I think I may be searching for my bike. It has to be somewhere in the garden, god knows where though
yay bike ride
lupin is offline   Reply With Quote