Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-13-2008, 04:20 PM   #1  

Default What Do You Cook On The Grill?

So - the weather is warmer (at least where I live!) and I am looking for some great ideas of what to cook on the grill!

I know you all have some GREAT IDEAS! I look forward to reading them, and trying some out!
PugLvr760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

My favorites - veggies of all kinds, including bell pepper, zucchini, eggplant, red onion...sometimes I marinate some thick slices of zucchini in balsamic, garlic, chopped rosemary, and a tsp of olive oil, then grill those...fabulous.

I make a laughing cow-stuffed turkey breast burger that's great grilled...on a bun if you have the calories, or on a whole wheat pita.

A week or so ago I marinated some cubes of chicken breast in a spicy ginger-soy sauce-garlic-teriyaki mixture and skewered them up with cherry tomatoes, diced pineapple, red onion chunks, and red bell pepper. They were phenomenal grilled.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Veggies (zucchini, peppers, onions, mushrooms, eggplant), marinated tofu & tempeh, soy dogs, little pizzas.... I love to grill.

Last night I grilled fennel for the first time. I just sliced it in half and into quarts, sprayed with olive oil and tossed it on the grill. It was fabulous and will be a regular from now on.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Everything! I'd eat nothing but grilled food if I had the time!

Anything can be skewered and grilled, IMO. All kinds of veggies, chicken, pork, lamb, steak. Mmmmm.

I make hamburgers all the time - 1/2 lean ground beef and 1/2 ground turkey mixed together and grilled. Yummy. You can eat them plain or put them on a whole wheat bun (I like mine on just 1/2 a bun and then eat them like an open faced sandwich).

Grilled chicken breasts - marinade in teriyaki or in light italian dressing.

Fish is fantastic on the grill. A more firm cut like mahi or salmon you can put right on the grill and just baste with a little olive oil. More flaky, thin filets like trout or cod or bass, you can put on a grill plate, or you can put in a foil pouch with some sliced veggies and steam cook. Yummy, too.

Corn - straight on the grill. Baste with a little butter (just a bare touch) and let it get all crunchy and golden.

Damn. I'm making myself hungry! Is it lunch time yet?

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #5  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

You guys are killing me! Yummmmm
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I also love a grilled pizza. You roll out the dough really thin (whole wheat crust from trader joes is pre-made), top with healthy toppings, and grill for 8-10 minutes with the lid closed. The bottom gets crunchy and charred, the toppings get melted...

It's a great BBQ party, actually. You just set out individual formed crusts and toppings, and throw them on the grill...make-your-own pizza party!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I have tried everything but the fennel. I like it, and I think there is a piece lurking in the fridge, so I will try it.

I especially like the grilled multi-colored peppers and red onion sprayed with pam and then a garlic clove squeezed over all.

Amanda's kabobs are making me drool! I think I need to try that, too.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Marinated Flank steak is really good.

Marinate the steak (which is a really low fat steak) for about two hours in this:

1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp lemon pepper
1 tsp basil
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp cilantro
2 T soy sauce
2-4 T vegetable oil

I combine all that in a ziplock bag and mush it together and then add the steak and marinate (be sure to unfold the steak). After grilling for about 5-8 minutes per side, slice the steak against the grain in 1/4" slices. One steak will feed 4-6 people.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #9  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm a big fan of grilled tomatos! It's easiest to do the big beefsteak kind, cut in half and baste (or spray) with olive oil grill flat side down until they have nice black marks then turn them over flat side up and sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic and fat free or reduced fat feta or a little parmesan. Close the cover and cook for another 10 minutes or so to make sure they're hot all the way through!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #10  
diamondgeog

Interstingly enough I just bought a Zojirushi EB-CC15 Indoor Electric Grill. Around $69 shipped from amazon. Just tried it out for the first time last night and the results were fantastic. Did some steaks and asaparagus. It barely smoked and the steaks were incredibly juicy and tasty.

If you look at the reviews on amazon they were very good. It does not cook as fast as a george foreman and the cooking area was not overly large, roughly 12 by 10 inches. It also has holes so you could not put say onions everywhere that might fall through. That being said falling through will not hurt anything.

It has a plastic outer base then a drip pan and then the cooking surface with the heating element attached on the bottom side. So the cooking service can not be immersed in water but you can bring it over to the sink. It cleaned up easy. Also the cord, heat knob detaches and can store underneath the cooking surface part so it is not huge to store.

I like Foreman grills but was looking for something that did a better job grilling. So far I really like this puppy. Grilling again tonight. So if you want to spend a bit more than some Foreman grills and get something that takes a bit longer to cook, might want to check it out. My first impresions is that it makes things tastier than Foremans. And bottomline is even with increased cooking time because of that I will use it more and end up getting better value than a Foreman.

Update: did chicken last night...fantastic. Not sure why this grill is so good, pretty simple design...but highly recommended. However, look at the amazon reviews then decide if you are in the market for a grill. So far just a great purchase.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 04-16-2008 at 07:58 AM. Reason: the chicken was that dang good.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #11  

Everyone! Thanks SO much for these wonderful ideas! I am used to only meat on the grill. Never considered veggies. How wonderful! I will try them out.

Thanks again!
PugLvr760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #12  

Grilling season is officially here.

Tonight we're grilling chicken breasts (brined and seasoned with sesame dressing), and strips of sweet potato lightly basted with olive oil. Served with a salad of mixed romaine and baby spinach.

I looooove grilling season.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #13  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

PugLvr...first, I must say that I am a pug fanatic! I have a 14 yr old black pug named Bubba who is my best friend. Puggy power!

Now, for your question: my favorite thing to grill is sliced zucchini. I slice it lengthwise and put it in a bag with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and shake it up and grill it. We make a fabulous grilled veggie sandwich though it's one of those things you either have to have a little of or eat on a splurge day. I'm sure you could make a yummy one in a whole wheat pita. We also grill a lot of marinated chicken breasts and marinated salmon. Sometimes we will make chicken skewers, too. We love sweet potatoes on the grill, but they take forever so we usually bake them now.
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #14  

Quote:
We love sweet potatoes on the grill, but they take forever so we usually bake them now.
I usually bake mine about 1/2 way and then transfer them to the grill to get that yummy grilled flavor. It's a little faster and you don't ahve to worry about the thin skins charring before the potato is done!

Old 04-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #15  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
I usually bake mine about 1/2 way and then transfer them to the grill to get that yummy grilled flavor. It's a little faster and you don't ahve to worry about the thin skins charring before the potato is done!

So do you throw them on the grill in foil or just as they are? That sounds like a good idea.
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote