South Beach Diet - Thinking of starting SBD

View Full Version : Thinking of starting SBD

sweetlovin
04-12-2008, 10:01 PM
I read the review on 3FC and I am thinking of maybe trying this diet.

I actually want to start on it Monday after I go grocery shopping tommorrow.

I don't have the book yet but I have a basic idea from searching online and stuff. Could someone tell me where I could get some information on the two week induction plan or whatever?

I may be able to get the actual book next week.

movielover
04-12-2008, 10:38 PM
You can get a ton of info in the FAQ section here...you can get out the current food lists, etc!

Good luck and welcome to the beach!

sweetlovin
04-12-2008, 10:51 PM
^wow. didn't even see that thread. ty!

mary83
04-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Welcome and good luck!! :)

SkinnyDogMom
04-13-2008, 06:31 AM
The book will be very helpful to you. The first two weeks=phase 1, is more of a "get rid of the cravings" and detox the simple carbs/sugars from your body time. You can have carbs during phase 1--good carbs=beans. No fruits until phase 2. There are a few limitations on the veggies during phase 1 as well--such as sweet potatoes need to wait until phase 2. The updated food lists are listed here. Using the recipe section here is also very helpful. Browse around and welcome to the beach!
Karla

Ruthxxx
04-13-2008, 06:47 AM
Please do not start this plan until you have read and understand the concepts behind this plan. This is particularly important if you have tried other diet plans.

tomandkara
04-13-2008, 09:41 AM
I agree, definitely read the book first. This seems like a weird approach unless you understand the reasons behind it and trust the knowledge of the doctor who started the whole craze. You can find the book at any library (if I found it at my tiny base library in Korea, you can certainly find it!) if you don't want to invest the money in purchasing it.

Good luck!

Kara

sweetlovin
04-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Please do not start this plan until you have read and understand the concepts behind this plan. This is particularly important if you have tried other diet plans.

Yeah I'm going to buy the book. Actually, I may be able to grab it while I'm at work today. At Walden Books.

I was going to start Monday but I will have the book in a few days (tuesday-wednesday) if I don't get it today/

frustratedieter
04-13-2008, 06:36 PM
I kind of did what you're planning on doing (I had done the plan 5 years ago and thought I knew all about it)....I agree that reading the book would be helpful as I really had many, many questions as I got into my phase 1. I still haven't finished the book and pick it up from time to time just to figure things out. I've lost weight and feel pretty good but it probably would have been alot better for me as well to have done as is advised here.

sweetlovin
04-13-2008, 07:46 PM
I grabbed the book and read half of it while at work. It seems good and I'm starting tommorrow! Hopefully it works out with my hectic teenage life.

It seems like something I can follow and I already bought some cottage cheese, mixed vegetables, and skim milk to go a long with what I have in the house

I plan to do more shopping once i have the cash

sweetlovin
04-13-2008, 10:15 PM
okay so finished the book. this is my plan for tommorrow

Breakfast- 2 boiled eggs, mixed vegetables boiled. glass of skim milk.

snack- celery sticks with ricotta cheese

lunch-
slices of fish on a bed of lettuce with mixed veggies and a glass of skim milk

snack:
sliced boiled egg sliced up with salsa

Dinner:
Turkey and brocoli. 1 tsp of olive oil

Dessert

Sugar free jello.

happyteacher
04-13-2008, 10:57 PM
I can't beleive you read that book so fast! Well, good luck sounds like you are ready for tomorrow. It is tough for the first 2 weeks but if you try your best and stick to it you will absolutely be pleased with the results.

Barb0522
04-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Make sure your mixed vegetables don't include carrots. Those are not allowed until phase 2.

cottagebythesea
04-14-2008, 06:29 AM
Make sure your mixed vegetables don't include carrots. Those are not allowed until phase 2.

Or corn or peas! They are only allowed occasionally in Phase 2.

sweetlovin
04-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Or corn or peas! They are only allowed occasionally in Phase 2.

darn! I realize everything i bought (veggies) isn't allowed LOL. hm,, ill beg my mom to take me to the grocer before dinner tomorrow

this morning i had fried eggs and cottage cheese. which was super yummy and I feel very energized. though i missed out on veggies unfortunately. I have some okra in the fridge. not looking forward to it to be honest lol

sweetlovin
04-14-2008, 06:42 AM
I can't beleive you read that book so fast! Well, good luck sounds like you are ready for tomorrow. It is tough for the first 2 weeks but if you try your best and stick to it you will absolutely be pleased with the results.

yeah well i was working at boca pups, a kiosk in the mall, where all i do is sit all day waiting for people to come buy stuff.

when it's slow, i have plenty of reading time!

tdiprincess
04-14-2008, 10:29 AM
well, You'll get there with the diet. It's all a learning experience. If you screw up, its ok, just get up and start again! That's what I keep doing. My DH and I started the diet a few weeks ago, but we were going to start P1 again as we'd screwed up bad... and then my grandma died and so now we're waiting until everything is taken care of and then start over with it all. LOL. Its a long battle, but we all get there!

sweetlovin
04-14-2008, 07:48 PM
The diet was incredibly easy today? It makes me think I didn't do it right lol.

Breakfast:

2 fried eggs, serving of cottage cheese

Snack:
Mixed nuts

Lunch-

Turkey with broccoli and string beans
small amount of american cheese on top of broccoli

Dinner:
Turkey (lol) with bean stew. I actually had two servings because it was soo good. I asked my mom and she just says it's beans and water mushed together w/ some seasoning. that's it.
I had a glass of skim milk with this.

I think I'm suppose to still have desert but I don't think I will because I don't have artificial sweetener or sugar free candy, and Jello just isn't that tempting .

I wasn't craving carbs at all and it made me have a lot of energy. it's the first day, i know, but yeah. so far, im liking it.

sweetlovin
04-16-2008, 06:47 PM
I've been following it mostly but I think I'm going to start phase 1 next week when I get my paycheck

I'm sorry but my stupid mother could care less about my diet and doesn't want to help me with food and such. I am so frustrated right now because there is absolutely NOTHING to eat in the house

so i guess ill eat instead of starve because the past two days, I was eating eggs and cheese for breakfast and lunch.

I was so frustrated. After looking in the freezer for 20 minutes, the only vegetable there was was okra. which i don't like at all.

pissed. so ill go shopping and do it all on my own. AGAIN. this is why losing weight is soo difficult. it's like everyone is trying to stop me

hmacneil6
04-16-2008, 06:55 PM
That is the one thing about this diet (actually with most diets). You have to plan and be ready for the week. If you don't have the right foods to eat you'll then end up returning to old habits. Don't sweat it, we've all been there!

sweetlovin
04-16-2008, 08:21 PM
That is the one thing about this diet (actually with most diets). You have to plan and be ready for the week. If you don't have the right foods to eat you'll then end up returning to old habits. Don't sweat it, we've all been there!

Yeah I know. I just felt like it was working to me, and even trying to follow the plan has gotten be down to 157. idk, its hard for me to realize I had to eat carbs today. But it sucks that my family doesn't support what I'm trying to do.

I've had such a bad day today. pmsing, didn't get into the art school I wanted to get into, dieting was off, guy i like ignoring me. ugh tmi, but lol

Anyway regardless, this is definitely something I'm going to stick too. I guess not just was not the time.

plus I still haven't exercised this week. I will Thursday-Sunday.