Old 04-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #1  
Tracie

S/C/G: 201.2/181.4/135

Height: 5'0"

Default Fat Free Milk

I have read an article saying if you drink more milk you lose more weight. I love milk. That's probably why I love Core. I can drink more milk than I would ever allow myself on Flex. I hated wasting 2 points per cup for milk. Than I read something that contradicted the first article. What do you think? Do you lose more weight drinking more milk (fat free of course)? I have only been doing Core 3 weeks and have lost 12 1/2 lbs so far. Not sure if it's the core plan, the milk or what.
twestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #2  
focused and aiming

Twesta, that's an awesome loss!

I don't drink milk. I just use it in other foods, so I'm no help to your question.
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Quite frankly all those "more milk products = more weight loss" studies are suspect at best... and generally paid for by like the American Dairy Farmers. So... take them with a grain of salt.

I believe what is really helping is the Core. You're eating less, until you're satisfied, and you're eating healthier foods. Milk just happens to be a part of it.

Afterall, I could drink a glass of milk each day and eat a box of cookies... I'm not going to lose weight.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

A lot depends on how much you drink. Every glass of skim milk has 80 - 90 calories, this can add up fast if you drink milk like my husband and aunt do (a gallon in a day or two). This is why I laughed when I heard that Dr. Kavourkian had gone on a milk and juice fast as a "hunger strike." It's not much of a hunger strike, in my opinion, if you could maintain your weight on it.

Many people interpret "milk may help you lose weight," as "the more I drink, the more I'll lose." If that where true, infants of all mammal species would starve to death before they were able to eat solid food (or if we're only talking cow's milk, at least baby calves would).

Any beverage with calories has to be considered a food, not only a beverage, and so you have to treat it that way. You have to also know that the body's hunger/fullness mechanism doesn't always work the same for liquids as solids. Solids tend to satisfy you for fewer calories, which is why so often you hear people suggesting you limit or avoid drinking your calories.

If I haven't completely confused you yet, I think it's safe to say there is no black and white answer here. You very well may have to watch the scale and experiement.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Also, even the milk studies that have been sponsored by the dairy association, only recommend 3 glasses of low fat milk (24 oz in 24 hours), not as much milk as you can chug down. 3 8-oz glasses of fat free milk is only 240 - 270 calories, which can fit into any healthy diet plan.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #6  
Tracie

S/C/G: 201.2/181.4/135

Height: 5'0"

Thanks for the info. Whether it helps me lose or not, I will still drink milk. I like it with my breakfast, and dinner.
twestra is offline   Reply With Quote