Atkins - Atkins Angels Chat 4/7 - 4/13

View Full Version : Atkins Angels Chat 4/7 - 4/13

JerseyGyrl
04-07-2008, 07:35 AM
:woohoo:

It's a new week ladies...whats on your agenda?

monster66
04-07-2008, 07:49 AM
Let me run something by you folks if thats okay. I have been going up and down with the same 2 lbs for the last couple of weeks. I have been doing a lot of exercise, mostly cardio with a little weight training which is something I have always done. My eating is clean...I pretty much eat the same thing every day. Breakfast is 2 sausages and 2 eggs scrambled with butter and heavy cream and a tablespoon of ground flax. Lunch is a salad with chicken (or shrimp) sauteed with mushrooms in olive oil and some avocado along with full fat dressing. Dinner is fish, shrimp or chicken or beef cooked in olive oil and some type of veggie also cooked in olive oil depending on what it is. Has been asparagus lately. According to fitday, I am around 1500 cals, about 70% fat, 20% protein and 10 percent carbs. I am not hungry and according to my keto sticks I am in ketosis. Am I just being impatient? I drink about 64 ounces of straight water a day and a pot of green tea. Any ideas? Thanks!!

monster66
04-07-2008, 07:50 AM
I guess I could have said good morning first!! Good morning everyone!

aud
04-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Mornin' All!:carrot:

Today I'm headed for the gym FIRST . . . then have to go on into work for some unpaid follow ups. "Gym/Ex FIRST" is my new mantra in Life . . . thinking the rest will follow?

What's your day look like, JG?

Your menu looks faboo to me monster . . . hmmmm . . . maybe add a veg @ lunch? Maybe mix up the cardio to freak your system? More fat/olive oil etc?

Just ideas I've seen successful folks kick around . . . haven't been successful lately (I know why) . . . but I do read a lot.:^:

Planning on having a Great Week/Day/Moment!:carrot:

SherryA
04-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Good morning girls. It is Monday, the official day of new starts. My Saturday was all messed up, yesterday I am not sure if I made up for it or not, I think weight wise I did. Scale was at my lowest so far since re-starting so I guess I don't have anything to complain about.

It is really hard right now though to stay on this plan. I made myself a hamburger patty for lunch yesterday and then couldn't eat it. I think the meat was too old and I took one bite, spit it out and then didn't really eat for the rest of the day until late at night when my husband finally made dinner. I did eat an orange though mid day.

So I'm at 11.5 pounds off right now. Same as the low I hit last week. Clothes are fitting better and I'm not going to complain, I feel better because there is less stress on my knees, it is easier to stand from a sitting position, I think my butt and belly are smaller. My face looks thinner.

Still I would like to get back to true induction and see some new losses this week. Yesterday was almost true induction (except for the orange and not enough food all day).

Still with hubby not working and finances getting very tight it is hard to stay on a high protein diet. Actually it is hard keeping the 4 of us fed at all. I was looking last night at the income requirements for food stamps. It looks like I make maybe 50 dollars a month too much to qualify. With our household expenses (basic expenses like house and utilities that is) it doesn't make it easy.

I'm not even sure however that we wouldn't qualify if I applied. They might take all that into consideration. It is such a hassle though to apply only to be turned down, that I'm not sure it is worth it. I could drop my family's dental coverage at work and increase our household takehome income by a little. But I hate to do that. We all need so much dental work that we can't afford to have done even WITH the insurance.

The times we live in are very "critical" (to quote the Bible). It is hard to get by.

Anyway I guess eggs are still cheap. so will have to eat those for protein.

Leenie
04-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Good Afternoon ;)

Donnie, are you losing inches ? some times we lose inches instead of pounds.

JerseyGyrl
04-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Donnie,

Your menu looks very good:) You may want to make a few "tweaks"...adding another small salad with dinner or increasing your veggies. Try this for a week or so and see if that makes any difference.

Leenie is correct, sometimes you lose inches and may not necessarily see a change on the scale.

Just a thought, does the green tea you drink contain caffeine?

monster66
04-07-2008, 01:16 PM
I actually havent measured myself but some days I do feel like I have lost some inches. I picked up some coconut oil to cook in instead of the olive oil so I am going to give that a try. Didnt get to the gym today because DS4 has strep! Hope the rest dont come down with it!

Sherry- sorry to hear of your troubles. As for the food stamps, you wont know unless you check it out. It might be what you need to do to get by right now. No harm in that. We have all been at that place where we just need a little extra help. Lord knows I have and help has been there in some form or another. Hope things do look up for you! (())

monster66
04-07-2008, 01:18 PM
My green tea does have caffeine in it. It is my " mothers little helper" to get me going in the morning! I have been drinking a pot a day for about 4 -5 years now and really dont want to give it up!!

JerseyGyrl
04-07-2008, 01:29 PM
My green tea does have caffeine in it. It is my " mothers little helper" to get me going in the morning! I have been drinking a pot a day for about 4 -5 years now and really dont want to give it up!!

Caffeine doesn't affect some people at all and then there are people like me...the least little bit is a BIG no-no. As the saying goes "If it ain't broke...don't fix it!":)

sylvia78
04-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Good morning all. Hoping everyone had a lovely weekend.

Caffeine didn't bother me at all until I stopped using it. Now it will bother me if I have it more that once in a week. That is the main reason why I don't use those weight-loss teas, as they are full of caffeine. You really don't know how great you can feel without it until you go without for a while. But as long as you continue to lose and you are not plagued by cravings, don't give up the tea/caffeine.

It's that TOM and I feel really bloated and crampy and don't really want to workout. I didn't do the morning walking for this reason and I may not walk in the afternoon. We'll see what happens.

I have to report that my eating this past weekend was great. I had three meals with protein, veggies and fat. I got enough calories and even managed to get some exercise in on Saturday. Now I just have to see how the week goes. I have my meats cooked already for lunch and dinner.

I am waiting on the new season of Doctor Who to start on BBC America. I seems that we are a season behind, as Martha Jones has already shown up on Torchwood this season. My DS9 really likes Doctor Who and Torchwood.

Hope everyone has a fabulous Monday!

KrisR
04-07-2008, 04:09 PM
'morning all-
Busy day planned here if the rain stays at bay....time to pick the last vineyard. Not my favorite job but needs to be done. Means I won't be going to the gym but 6+ hours as a field hand will offset that time!

Finally got the call that GCBC has arrived so hope to pick that up tomorrow and start reading. Did pick up a book on Symptom X yesterday which has been very interesting. Insulin Resistance.....it seems like I keep coming back to that as a possibility for my slow weight loss.

Aud-good job on putting exercise first!
Monster-your menu sounds good. Maybe another serving of patience? :) That was one thing I listened to on a podcast yesterday, that we give up or try to tweek too soon.
SherraA-sorry about your situation.
Sylvia-glad you had a great weekend!
JG/Leenie/Fay/Azure and anyone I missed-hi!

RubyJan
04-07-2008, 04:26 PM
HI Everyone, from Ruby in London:
So I just made it through another day. It's been kind of a hard one, not because I ate anything off-programme, but because I feel like I lost a friend with Sugar gone now....I know that for the last two years at least, I looked at sweets as my reward for just getting through the day....and now I just have to find other pleasures I guess.

Did 90 minutes at Pilates this morning which was great, and then spent the rest working on my book. Things always go better for me on the eating front when I work in the LIbrary rather than at home. I brought a bowl of salad with chicken in it for lunch, and had smoked salmon for breakfast with SUGARLESS coffee. Tonight I had crustless quiche and a slice of fried Halloumi cheese.

I put on a ring of mine today that I used to just wear for special occassions -- it was made by a London studio jewller and its quite, well, let's say, experimental -- he takes metal (silver or gold) and melts it into a puddle and then crushes coloured stone and drops them in the metal, so the rings end up looking like pieces of ancient greek jewellry. ANYWAY, I am telling this because I decided today that it I AM going to wear it all the time until I am at goal weight -- that it will be my good luck charm and my inspiration when I need it. No point in letting it sit in a box -- better to put it to work to help me reach my goal. Anyway, it may be too darn wide to wear once I have lost the weight!

SO, hope you are all having a good day. And thanks Jersey Girl for the yogurt info. I guess I will wait until I am farther along before I start putting my spoon in it.

RubyJan

Azure
04-07-2008, 06:54 PM
I wanted to check in with you LC Ladies! My boyfriend came up Sunday afternoon and he just took off now. I've got a lot of homework to get done before class tomorrow (A paper and reading galore), but I wanted to check in and let you know that I haven't fallen off the face of the planet! My weekend food-wise was good except for one meal while the boy was up--and that meal included drinks (bacardi and diet coke with lime).

I've got to be more firm with my boyfriend when he's up visiting and we go out. When we're out at restaurants, he practically rolls his eyes if I say I don't want a sandwich because of the bread. Or when I say in response to his: "I can't believe you order those things [chicken caesar salad]--they're so bad for you!" that I'm aware of just what's in them, that on my diet I'm not concerned about fat content so much as carbs, and that I'm more concerned about the crutons than the dressing.

That boy is going to have to get it into his skull that I plan to eat this way for the rest of my life. It's not a diet. He believes in moderation in all things, but he's never had a weight problem. I don't think he understands how "just one bite" or "just this meal" can turn into an entire week of being off plan for me. Maybe once I'm in maintenance and I feel like I have better control, "just one bite" might be okay...but definitely not now. He and I are going to be living together in our first apartment around June or July, and I think he needs to be prepared for our eating two different ways! I've been with this boy for 2.5 years and he still doesn't get it. *sigh* Men.

Anyway, I'm going to go get some things done! I'll come by tomorrow evening to say hello to my girls :) Thanks to everyone who checked out my new podcast about LC living--I appreciate all the support!

RubyJan
04-08-2008, 03:08 AM
Hello, its 8 am here and I just got back from the gym, where I did my 60 minutes of cardio -- I am trying to learn the right technique for the rowing machine -- cos if you do it wrong you can build up big neck muscles -- no thanks. SO i have had to slow down to get it right, but they got a new machine called a POWERPLATE. Any of you ever use one? I can't really tell what it does -- I think it just vibrates while you do isometric exercises.

Kris -- does that vineyard remark mean that you are a vintner (right word?). Australia is such a mystery to me.

Jersey Girl: you are so consistent in your food, its amazing. Do you ever get totally sick of those eggs, or does it just feel like fuel for you? I am curious because I have spent so much time thinking about food -- i.e., always thinkng can I eat this or that, and then eating it, and then regretting it.

SO today its day 6, which means that after tomorrow I am going to do my first weigh-in. Then I will stop counting the days, and just act as if this is my life from now on -- they say that acting some way can turn into really feeling that way.

Azure: when I did Atkins in the early Noughties, my partner used to drive me nuts with his this is so bad for you. But as I got slimmer and slimmer he stopped making such a racket about it. And when I fell off the bandwagon....well, he didn't like that at all. .

Hope you all have a good day. I have got a full 8 hour day in the British Library, so I am having a fish fillet now for breakfast, and taking a salad with me for lunch.

Ruby

JerseyGyrl
04-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Jersey Girl: you are so consistent in your food, its amazing. Do you ever get totally sick of those eggs, or does it just feel like fuel for you? I am curious because I have spent so much time thinking about food -- i.e., always thinkng can I eat this or that, and then eating it, and then regretting it.

RubyJan,
I guess you could call me pretty much a creature of habit...when I find somthing that works, I like to stick with it. I think it also helps that I like eggs!:) I try to keep my menu pretty basic, concentrating on veggies & salad. I've never been much of a fan of cauliflower...but...at the moment, I'm loving steamed garlic cauliflower:) I steer clear of things like desserts because I know me and portion control is not one of my better qualities:o

aud
04-08-2008, 11:13 AM
It is just so GREAT to read about everyones lives/experiences!:carrot:

Getting my Creature of Habit on myself today JG . . . heading for the gym again, right out of the gate - promised myself yesterday to make it a habit during this lay-off that has no sign of ending.

STILL haven't switched totally over to Rest of the World DAY Shift . . . thinking 20+ years on Nights will do that to a body?:cool: Progress tho' . . . progress.

YES YES YES on the ring rubyJ! Love the idea . . . special feeling. I'm going to dig out a few pieces of my Late BMom's beautiful china again - just for me & my simple but filling dishes . . . did that one other time with much success - tx for the inspiration!:hug:

My green tea says "caffeine free" on the box, monster.:?: I'm out right now . . . but thinking it's just "Lipton." I am a Green Tea addict. Mix it 1/2 n 1/2 with regular brew by the gallon when working.

Tell us about the grapes Kris!

AZ: MEN! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:devil:

Can't wait to hear your Podcast . . . saw the directions on"How-To" in your Thread . . . plan on doing it late night - but may PM you - I'm still such a Techno-Tard!:^:

I watched Dr. Who for a long period of the 80's with my sci-fi Neph, syl . . . it was such fun . . . altho' he did haveto explain a lot of it . . . had no idea it was still on! What network?

okok~off to the gym Gals . . . have a Terrific Tuesday!:carrot:

Puncezilla
04-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi all, my internet's still not working most of the time, can't figure it out. Think I may need a new modem, so will have to wait for the company to bring one out and see if it fixes the problem.

I had a off plan weekend, big dump of snow here and had to cancel plans so kinda felt down. Way to many carbs, but back on track now.

Gotta make it short so I don't crash, Have a great day ! I hope I'm back online soon so I can chat.

monster66
04-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Ok I will be patient!! I did pick up some coconut oil and started cooking my lunch protein in it to go on my salad. Wasnt hungry the rest of the day!! About 8pm, I ate a few slices of pepperoni but wasnt really hungry. This leads to my next question....should I eat if I am not hungry? I am thinking to just listen to my body and eat when I get hungry but that leaves me eating pretty much nothing from 1 pm on the rest of the day. What do you guys think?
I picked up GCBC from the library yesterday and started reading that. What a lot of info!! I knew we should just go back to eating like mankind always has in the past! It is all the processed junk we are eating that is killing us! I have to be careful as I can easily step right up onto my soapbox!!

sylvia78
04-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Good morning Angels.

Punce, we miss you. I'm sending you an internet angel :angel: to help you get your problems resolved.

RubyJ, WTG on making it through the week. No matter what the scale says, you did good.

Aud, that is really great that you did your workout first thing. Now you just go on with the rest of your day. Woo-hoo. And I watched Dr. Who in the eighties, too. I shouldn't be shocked that my DS9 likes sci-fi stuff. I started reading Harry Potter to him and DD when they were just 5 & 4. My mom is a Trekkie and so am I. I really like the Star Trek: Next Generation series but when they cancelled that I didn't follow the other spin-offs. If you have cable, Doctor Who is on BBC America or the Sci-Fi channel. If no cable try PBS. PBS doesn't show it that often though. They also sell the seasons on DVD, too. Maybe ty renting the seasons from Blockbuster.

Azzie, you know boys can be thick-headed. Just keep doing what you are doing. Don't even make what you will not eat an issue. Be as nice as possible when turning down food. Don't even say why you don't want the food. Kill him with kindness.

I only had 7 cups of water yesterday. Today I am on #5. I have to keep drinking because I am sure it will help with the bloating and general blahs that I have.

Hope everyone is doing good today. Have a great day Angels!

RubyJan
04-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Boy! Today was something. I was working away in the library when a man who I met at a dinner party like 1/2 a year ago came up to me and invited me to have lunch with him! I tell you, it was a major event for me. I haven't had a date in about a year, as i have been getting fatter and fatter and have been getting over my 14 year relationship with my Trade Union darling,which ended with him running off with an IRA woman! (Yup, thats the truth).
Anyway, it was tons of fun and I was acting a bit flirty and clever, and after we went back to work, he came over again at tea time and invited to have tea with him as well. Oh my goodness... I was, as we say here, GOBSMACKED! SO we had another nice time, and then I fled the building because I was afraid that I just seemed too happy.... so now I am terrified because of course I have decided that I totally adore him, which is insane, but an obvious example of being an addictive personality. But the point is that he bought us a piece of cake and I pretended that I was happy with that, and then he kept trying to get me to eat some, and I just sort of pushed it around my plate a bit. Anyway, I hardly ate my lunch and certainly didn't eat the cake, and now I have no appetite at all, so I may weigh in tomorrow, and catch the extra water loss. Anyway, its certainly been a brilliant first week with Induction and the Atkins 3FC scene.

Breathless in London, Ruby

sylvia78
04-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Two dates in the same day! I am so impressed. You obviously feel better about yourself and this is what he sees. You should feel better about yourself. You are taking control of your life and your eating and making a change.

Good for you that you didn't eat the cake. We should not eat to please another person.

Next time, you order the after meal treat that you can eat too. Try fresh, unsweetened clotted cream and berries. Or just a few berries.

Way to go you hottie! ;)

aud
04-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Ahhh . . . to notbe hungry monster! I'm thinking maybe you should have a lil something just so you won'tovereat later (even tho' you're not) & to keep your insulin levels on an even keel(???:?:)

YOU GO with your GOBSMACKED SELF rubyJ!:carrot: Bring ON the DETAILS Pleez!:^::D

I've had my face stuck in books . . . but also at the Y a lot lately . . . struggling with cravings & losing some of the time . . . FOCUS AUDDIE!:devil:

SherryA
04-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Good morning everyone. My scale is at its lowest recent weight. But it stays there doesn't go any lower. I keep hoping every morning when I get up to see a lower number even if it is only a small change, but no. It is stubborn. So far I'm on plan, but I made a mistake yesterday in buying food for the family that will tempt me. They need these inexpensive easy to grab foods to keep them filled up without it costing a fortune, but they keep calling to me. I bought the chocolate muffins from Costco and also some yummy looking bagels.

I should know better than to buy things I know will be tempting, but sometimes it is hard to know just what will tempt and what I can resist. Or maybe that is just an excuse.

Anyway I'm trying to resist. So far today I've eaten on plan, chicken, cheese and water. If I can get out of here and get to work before those muffins call too loudly maybe I can stay on plan. Anyway I feel and look thinner so I'm pleased with my progress so far.

monster66
04-09-2008, 04:47 PM
I was able to get back to the Y this morning and according to the treadmill and the bike, I burned about 400 cals. And I am hungry this afternoon!! For the last two days I havent made it out to exercise because 2 of my children came down with strep but I was back today and here I am hungry for a snack today! I had a tbs. of sugar free pb and I am sure I will want something for dinner too. Dont want to overdo it though. Not sure what it will be since we have a soccer game at 6pm. Guess I will need to take something with me to nibble.

KrisR
04-10-2008, 01:01 AM
I'm having a hungry afternoon too only mine is strictly 'mouth' hunger. My body is not hungry. I'm trying to stay in touch with hunger so I'm not giving in to the mouth hunger. Figure I'll do a bit of net surfing on low carb and hopefully that will distract me - along with a cup of tea.

RubyJan
04-10-2008, 01:58 AM
Dear Everyone:

Thanks to this support thread and to the Gods, I have finished my first week of Induction and have lost 7 count 'em, SEVEN pounds! I am in HEAVEN. Somehow I didn't believe it could work again for me after all my years in the foodbinge wilderness. And here I am a week later, in Atkins HEAVEN.

I think I may really be able to do this. I have to go to a wedding in Cambridge this saturday -- one of my young colleagues is being married iin the King's College Chapel -- an ancient and utterly beautiful place, and I am trying t figure out how to stay out of trouble. I think eggs for sure before I go (it stars at 10am), so I can feel sort of sick, and then stay away from the champagne and cake. Its the cake I am most worried about... ANy weddingtips?
HAVE A LOVELY DAY, and Kris, let's hear about your harvest.

Ruby

broadabroad
04-10-2008, 06:10 AM
SUPERB!

Oh, well done you! Isn't it a wonderful feeling? A lot of that 7lb will be water weight, I guess, but that you've successfully shifted so much in Week One indicates that you've got a pretty good metabolism, and should be able to keep on dropping weight pretty regularly - Yay!

Well, cake would be an unfortunate choice, because it's inevitably going to be laden with flour and sugar - champagne would, I think, actually be the lesser of the two evils from that point of view. If you're lucky, they'll have strawberries and cream, in which case eat all you want, or perhaps they'll have a cheese platter, or something like that? You MAY be able to get through this without going off-plan, depending on what you eat beforehand and on what kind of food pressures you're under.

Definitely eat beforehand. I wouldn't say you need to make yourself feel sick - but I WOULD say make sure you're pleasantly full. You can have a slap up full English breakfast, you know, complete with coffee and cream, and still be on plan. Treat yourself to something lovely for breakfast - scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, or whatever kind of thing you'd really enjoy on a special occasion. And you could take along some almonds or something to snack on, in case of emergencies - I mean, sure they're not ideal induction foods, but they beat wedding cake! ;)

That said - I think that the thing is, even though you're still doing induction, there are events at which one sometimes decides to make some compromises. Maybe you'll get through the wedding without being tempted - I've successfully been to various food-centric events and managed to stay on-plan, but sometimes I HAVE gone slightly off-plan. But it's been in a controlled way - my parents came out to visit me in Bangkok (for the first time) whilst I was doing induction, and there were several times when I simply didn't have control over what the food choices were, so I had to make the best of it.

In my 3rd week of Atkins, one of the kids in my class had a birthday and brought in a MAGNIFICENT chocolate birthday cake. Which I cut up into slices for everyone, and there was enough leftover for a piece for my TA and one for me. And I was tempted - I mean, it was a damn fine looking cake. But I asked myself, out loud, which I'd rather have - the cake right now, or lose a pound that week. And when I looked at it like that, it suddenly was easy. I didn't even lick any of the chocolate off my fingers - I didn't WANT it. I wanted to be unfat much more than I wanted that fleeting sweetness on my tongue.

Good luck!

aud
04-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Hear Hear Fay-Baby!:carrot: ITA & am motivated by your Post . . . exactly what I meant when I was telling myself to focus yesterday~Tx!:hug:

Something else I've learned about myself since returning to Atkins & coming to 3fc is that despite knowing this lil factoid - it still is a struggle & I have to constantly remind myself to simply DRINK WATER!

Not sure why something so ez/natural/uncomplicated is so ez to forget, but there it is!

So yeah rubyJ - drink plenty of water b4 the event & also while you're there . . . I try to have some every time I "think" I'm hungry b4 actually eating. Most of the time it turns out that I'm just thirsty.:o

aud
04-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Posting to you LIVE from Deep In INDUCTION-Land!:carrot:

I am so ENERGIZED . . . please remind me of how great I feel next time I go into depression?

Tx in advance!:hug:

Off to brush my teeth - again - breath is sooooo bad - YUK!

RobinW
04-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Good Morning :)

Im back at it. Have been for about 3 weeks now, but Ive added another tool to my aresnal. Ive read the "Beck Diet Solution" and I am working that with Atkins. It is certainly helping me with the head stuff that goes on with me.

Business has been great....and yesterday, hubby and I decided to become vendors at a big bike rally this summer!! So I really need to get into shape!!! No pressure!! :lol:

I'll catch up with everyone soon. Have a great day ladies!

sylvia78
04-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Hello Angels. I hope everyone is doing well.

RubyJ, I think the simple fact that you are thinking about how to deal with the foods at the event will make a huge impact on what choices you ultimately make. Good luck.

Fay, I remember reading your post about that cake. It really did sound delish! Good for you that you held firm. It is a constant battle for me because I am always making baked goods for Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, class rooms or just because the kids want something. Last weekend it was pumpkin bread muffins. And there is always the lovely weekday waffles or weekend pancakes. I do what I must.

I agree with you all that water is so important to your lifestyle. I try to drink about 10-12 cups a day. When I get less, I feel extremely thirsty when I wake up the next day.

I hit 150 again today. I'm not changing my ticker until I see it for two days straight. Last weekend my eating was really great, despite the diet lemon/lime soda. This weekend, I have a 5YO birthday party to attend. I am going to eat first and take some nuts with me. I don't plan on eating anything that will throw me off. My exercising hasn't been as good as I would like it. I wasn't as consistent with the cardio as I should have been. I am making up for some of that by doing the 5K Challenge this weekend that Leenie posted about. I am going to have my daughter take her scooter.

So, I've been reviewing my 'what are you eating' posts and I realize that I have a very plain diet. I'm not really sure how I feel about this. I know that consistency if good but I want a little more variety of veggies without adding pressure to my busy evening schedule. I will figure something out, I'm sure.

Has anyone been watching Biggest Loser? That one lady, Ali [?] did really awesome. She is a totally different person. And she looks great.

Have a great day everyone.

sylvia78
04-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Hey, Angels.

I was reading People [yes, I read People and in public no less] yesterday and came across a book review for a new book by Jennifer Weiner [author of In Her Shoes which is now a movie]. The book of hers that I read was named Good In Bed. A plus-sized woman has to deal with her ex-boyfriend writing a monthly column in a women's magazine telling the world about their relationship in bed. It really was a good book. The new book is called Certain Girls, which is a follow up to Good In Bed. I've already got my library copy requested. ;)

And then there is Marian Keyes. I've read about 4 of her books including Watermelon. I also read Rachel's Holiday about a girl that is forced into rehab by her family. I was crying while reading, it was that moving.

Okay, enough for now. Have a fantastic weekend everyone! :grouphug:

RubyJan
04-12-2008, 02:20 AM
Dear Every Angel:

Well, I am zippered into my blue silk dress ready to go off to the Evil Wedding -- evil that is, if it makes me slip up -- but have fortified myself with boiled eggs, so i do feel pleasantly sick to my stomach.

Since you asked -- there does seem to be something, a bit, a hint of something happening with the Gobsmacking Guy. He has invited me to go to his flat this coming Friday afternoon, to look at..gulp , yup, some of his 'collection' -- he is a rare book collector. He also sent me an article he has written, and I wrote back, and I think we are having a little email correspondence, He isn't in London much of the time, doing research different places. So I a hoping to be down maybe another pound or two by then... Maybe its a message from Dr.A, from the grave, for me not to give up -- surprises are just that, surprises.

Hope Everyone has a great day.

Ruby

aud
04-12-2008, 12:36 PM
HURRAH for all things GOBSMACKING, rubyJ!:carrot: . . . glad its an afternoon visit to the flat . . . otherwise I'd have to advise playing hard to get! Hope you're dancing the light fantastic at the wedding!:hug:

I read the National Enquirer, in public, as well syl! Altho' I can be smug & tell you I don't buy them - my sil that I just Posted about in Lolitas saves them for me (& The Star too!:carrot:) . . . I'm so old now I don't know who 1/2 the "stars" are . . . but think they're a h00t & a great stress reliever.

I also can tell you that if Beloved SIL didn't save them for me I WOULD buy the Enquirer myself . . . loved them ever since they found pic of OJ wearing the infamous Bruno Magli shoes!!!!:cool:

Books? *jotting down titles & authors* . . . I'm off to walk to library right now sylvia! Finished Book One-mystery-Stuart MacBride-all things Scotland & going for Book 2 . . . almost finished with-Berg-The Day I Ate Everything I Wanted--GREAT READ . . . may Post some of the funnier/inspiring sections . . . ttyal!:hug:

RubyJan
04-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Dear Angel Girls:
Thinking of you all, I did not have any WEDDING CAKE, ANY CHOCOLATE MOUSSE, ANY RASBERRY PAFAIT, AND ONLY 1/2 GLASS OF CHAMPAGNE AT THE WEDDING! THANKS SO MUCH, ANGELS.
Ruby,

KrisR
04-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Good job RubyJan! I have a dinner party to go to Wednesday night and I've no idea what to expect.....I'm afraid it will be a pasta fest or something. Maybe I'll eat before I go and then "feel under the weather" to not draw attention to myself if I'm not eating what they serve. Cop-out, eh?

Having scale difficulty....it's been up 1-2 kilos this week. The only thing I can see that I've done differently is having cheese more frequently (no 2 kilos of cheese though!) and not worrying/focusing about the number of calories (averaging 1800/day, F60-70/P30-25/C5).

I try not to let the scale dictate me, and I typically don't weigh daily. My recent thought on daily weighing is to take the power away from the scale - and it does seem to be working. Having said that, I'm going to back away from the cheese. Max of 1 ounce per day and see what happens. I'm also going to keep my splenda usage down to less than 4 packets per day.

Does anyone have any knowledge of beta blockers interfering with weight loss or fat burning? I saw a brief reference on Mary Vernon's site but haven't found anything else referencing this yet.

sylvia78
04-13-2008, 01:34 AM
Happy weekend, Angels!

RubyJ, YES! YES! YES! That is really awesome news about the bloke and the lack of cake.

KrisR, I just read about beta blockers and it does say they can cause weight gain. So, if you're taking them, you may lose slower than if you weren't. Don't give up. Also, whatever you are taking the meds for may actually improve over time because you are no longer consuming refined carbos. A lot of health issues improve or disappear when you are on a low carb diet. But for now, just keep going even though your weight loss may slow down.

Dairy is the bane of my existence. I can't even have less than an ounce on a salad without causing weight stalls or gains. Aghhhh!

Aud, you know what the MiB says, National Enquirer is where you go for the real news. ;)

My Saturday was full to the brim. I had to go out to WalMart at 7 to get a gift for a 5YO b'day party at 3, some other things that I really needed around the house, and a hoola hoop for my DD7, AND get back before DS9 little league game warm up at 9:45. Did I mention that I forgot my list on my desk at work. A list that I had been working on all week. I would even call myself and leave a voicemail when I thought of something that I needed. Oh, well, just gotta do the best I can with a 41YO menopausal memory. I got back home in time. I spent more than I planned but at least I got my growing DD7 2 more pairs of pants. She actually asked me to buy her some more pants. I think she's finally realized that she really can't wear a skirt/dress ALL THE TIME. When I got back, DH had grilled some steak and scrambled eggs for breakfast. Of course, he over cooked it but it was still warm when I walked in, so who's complaining? Not me, I ate that steak like it was from the last cow on earth. When we got home from the game I realized that we didn't have any b'day wrapping paper or even a pretty gift bag. My DD reminds me that we have christmas wrapping paper. But I just don't think snowflakes and reindeer wrapping paper in April is appropriate. I have to go back to WalMart. At least it's on the way to the party.

So, because we have to leave early to stop by WalMart on the way to the party, I have to put my salad in a ziploc bag and eat it on the way. Yes, I was walking down the street eating salad out of a bag. And hour later I ate 13 raw, unsalted almonds and 3 brazil nuts. Three hours later at the bowling alley, I am surprised to find that the snack bar has something called chicken breast wrap. Well, then I can just forgo the tortilla and get their side salad. Yeah! The chicken was tasteless and the lettuce was iceberg but it was acceptable food. I wasn't forces to have any of the pizza or delicious cake.

So, all in all, my weekend is going good as far as eating and I definitely got in enough exercise.

Enough for tonight. Ciao, Angels.

broadabroad
04-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Superb, Ruby! You bloody rock, woman!

I think she's finally realized that she really can't wear a skirt/dress ALL THE TIME.

Can so! (Well, okay, I'm wearing trousers today. And now that they fit/are a bit too big, that does happen not infrequently. But mostly, I'm All About The Skirts!)

sylvia78
04-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Fay, I'm sure that you are not hanging upside down from a jungle gym, going up and down the slide, swinging off the monkey bars in your skirt. Well, maybe you do. :trampo:

It took a while to convince her to wear shorts under her dresses/skirts. Now I don't even have to remind her. She also really likes her scooters [skirts with the shorts built in them], too. And the amount of dirt she can manage to accumulate is amazing. Some weeks I am convinced that I just need to wash with the Shout. Even her teacher commented on it saying DD7 is quite feminine, almost prissy, but she comes in from recess dirty from head to foot.

Ah, to be young and uninhibited. :twirly:

aud
04-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Hi Late Sunday Nite Angels!:hug:

Made it thru 3fc's 5k today . . . then took a Power Nap!:o

Been cooking all weekend & think I'm prepared for a Great Induction Week . . . all from Linda's Low Carb - she RAWKS so hard :cool: . . . everything turned out delish!:carrot:

Asian Pork

Crustless Spinach Quiche

are two new dishes I tried off the site & have portioned & frozen~Both so YUM!

cya on the New Thread tomorrow!:)

broadabroad
04-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Fay, I'm sure that you are not hanging upside down from a jungle gym, going up and down the slide, swinging off the monkey bars in your skirt. Well, maybe you do

Okay, I'm not. But ONLY because I know my fat *** would break the slide and the jungle gym!

;)

sylvia78
04-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Aud, I am going to find the receipe and make that quiche. My kids love quiche so I can use this for dinner one night.

Fay, you are just so funny. :rofl:

My eating for the weekend went really good. My calories were on the high side but it was all acceptable foods. Actually my calories have been on the high side all week but I dropped those 2 pounds. I've been told that I need to make sure my fats and calories are higher than I would think because I've been working out. So I'm working on get a balance of 60f/10c/30p. I'm usually high on protein and low on fats and carbs.

So, hope you Angels have an awesome Monday!

KrisR
04-14-2008, 01:30 AM
Hey everyone - sounds like everyone had a great weekend!

Weigh in today was the same. Looked back on my 'numbers' and it's been 4 weeks at the same weight. Bloody plateau's! Am planning to mix things up a bit this week....here's my plan.....

1. Cut out cream. Have started to get a bit of heartburn after I have my tea with cream and am at the end of a carton so am going to try a week without it and see if the heartburn lessens.
2. Add 2x60 minutes of lap swimming to my exercise routine.
3. Increase fats a bit (try to get slightly over the 70% level).
4. Keep carbs to less than 20 per day and keep calories between 1600-1800.
5. Max of 4 splenda per day.
6. Visualize daily the scale moving below the 105 kilo mark to the 100 kilo mark.
7. Change nuts from macadamia to almonds (having portion control problems with macadamia nuts). Keep cheese to a minimum (1 ounce per day max).

My motto for the week: "How bad do you want it?"