Nutrition and Labeling - This Week's Healthiest Food - GREEN PEAS

rockinrobin
04-07-2008, 06:55 AM
http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...68e93580e

This is another one that I rarely eat. Can't remember the last time I did. It was surely prior to my lifestyle change.

They are yummy though. I used to just throw them in a salad raw. Hmmm. Gotta give them a try again.

elisa822
04-07-2008, 07:25 AM
Mmmmm...peas! I love them and I think I eat them too much. ;) Since they're a starchier vegetable, I sometimes think I should cut down but I love them. Fresh or frozen they're great. I always have a bag or two in the freezer and add them to rice, pasta, soups or just as a side dish. Just not canned...too mushy!

:D

Lovely
04-07-2008, 07:51 AM
I like peas :) They pop in your mouth!

My fiancé loves it when I make him "Mac & Peas". It's just some macaroni & cheese with some peas mixed in. It's a good way to get in a serving of veggies, too!

nelie
04-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Not a big fan of peas. I did try a recipe recently with them and it was good. Also they are good in Indian recipes. I wouldn't really eat them by themselves though.

meowee
04-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Peas are definitely a little starchier but they are actually a legume that we tend to think of as a vegetable. As well as about 60 calories for a half cup, they also have about 4 grams of protein and close to 5 grams of fibre. They re very rich in lutein and in zeaxanthin. They lower the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.

Enjoy your peas. :yes:

RememberHowToSmile
04-07-2008, 12:06 PM
I might be the strange one who actually just eats peas as a side dish with a little bit of salt. I also like them in mac and cheese or with a sheapards pie.

PinkyPie
04-07-2008, 12:11 PM
yech! :lol: sorry, but can't stand peas! Just had some sugar snaps though with some leftover sauce and light mozz before my work out :)

mandalinn82
04-07-2008, 01:39 PM
There are very few things I'll eat peas in...mostly things like shepherd's pie. Otherwise, they just aren't a favorite.

zenor77
04-07-2008, 02:15 PM
I like peas in my healthed up version of tuna noodle casserole, in old-fashioned macaroni, pasta carbonara, and in curries. I only cook it as a side dish when we are super low on other veggies. I always have a bag in the freezer.

LLV
04-07-2008, 02:32 PM
I love peas and eat them often :)

Glory87
04-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Love peas, but I don't eat them very often either. Well, I eat sugar snap peas almost every day, but plain old peas? Not so much. Note to self, peas are yummy and healthy - eat more peas! Just say PEAS PLEASE

rockinrobin
04-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Just say PEAS PLEASE

So all then you're really saying is, "Give Peas a Chance".

I couldn't resist, sorry. Though I'm thinking some of you are too young to "get it". And umm, yeah, you would be the lucky ones. ;)

azmom
04-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Peas just don't do a thing for me, sorry! So many other wonderful veggies out there!!

ennay
04-10-2008, 01:36 PM
I like raw fresh peas if they are still small and I like split pea soup. Cooked peas...eh...not so much.

cbmare
04-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Imagine whirled peas

EZMONEY
04-10-2008, 09:18 PM
peas and ham combo....oh yeah!

BlueToBlue
04-11-2008, 04:17 AM
It's funny, I can't stand peas in their natural state--i.e., as little round green pellets (they are the only vegetable in the entire world that I just don't like at all), but I like them mashed in soups and sauces. I love split pea soup and I also love them in the following recipe:

Sweet Pea Cream
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups peas (frozen is fine)
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup fat-free half and half
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped

Heat large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 1 min. Add garlic and saute 30 sec. Add peas and saute 1 min, stirring frequently. Add broth and 1/4 tsp salt and bring to a simmer. Cook until peas are tender (about 4 min for fresh peas, less for frozen).

Transfer mixture to food processor and puree.

You can stain the mixture through sieve at this point and throw out the solids if you want a super smooth sauce. I don't mind my sauce a little chunky, so I never bother with this step.

Stir in half and half and dill. Serve over chicken or fish.

This makes four very generous servings at about 80 calories each.

CrazedLedZepFan
04-11-2008, 04:48 PM
I heart peas. Good in tuna noodle casserole. :)

retiredone
04-13-2008, 10:27 PM
I really like (love) green peas. We have them often as a side dish or mixed with carrots or mixed with several other vegetables. I also like them frozen as a vegetable Popsicle type of thing-a bowl with frozen peas and my fingers popping them into my mouth-cold, yummy and sweet. I also put them in soup, in stir fries, pasta, and nothing stretches dinner when unexpected guests arrive than a pot of peas added to the menu. And my mother and DIL love canned peas. How can you not like peas?