Old 04-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #1  

Default Meal and Snack ideas for Home Health Nurse

Hey all! My first post and I need some serious advice. I am a Home Health nurse that travels about 250 miles a day. Very rural area so a big part of my day is spent driving from patient to patient, not a lot of time to stop for lunch. I need healthy meals and snack ideas that don't have to be warmed and can be eaten while driving(I know not very safe but tis the nature of what I do) and don't require heating. I usually keep a cooler in my car. I'm just really getting tired of sandwiches. Must be budget friendly. Not getting alot of ideas from my leader or group. Any ideas welcome!
Thanks in Advance
Steph
stephvrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #2  

I like a bit of coldmeat for a "car meal" with some cheese slices -- I usually roll a few turkey slices around some spicy cheese. For snacks, it depends on my mood -- 1/4 cup of Walmart trail mix is 3 points, I like plain raisin/cinammon (sp??) bread -- two slices is 4 points and it's a little bit sweet -- dannon drinkable yogurt is 1 point. I'm not much help with lunches -I eat Lean Cuisines almost every day because they show the WW points on them -- I know they aren't the healthiest but they are helping me while I get "in the grove" and I will move on soon. I'm sure there are tons of ideas coming your way -- there are so many people on here with great ideas.
Good luck to you
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #3  
GmaTo8

You could make a variety of wraps using tortillas. I like them for lunches with a bit of turkey or chicken, with green and red pepper strips, and whatever other fresh veggies I have. You could cut them in 3rds once they're ready, for easier eating. One of my faves is cottage cheese with fruit on top, but that could be tricky to eat on the road.

If you had a chance to pull over and eat, you could take a thermos of hot food, such as soup.

Don't forget a baggie full of grapes, strawberries, and other finger fruits. Another idea is a serving of dry cereal.

A big YAY for you, planning ahead!
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Definitely don't forget those cut up fruits & veggies to munch on. Nuts are higher in points, but they're pretty filling and easy to keep on hand. Cheese sticks, or Mini babybels are good on the go snack.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #5  
Not Yet Vintage

S/C/G: 203.8/185/135

Height: 5'6

I really like wraps. My favorite wrap is a Hot Wing Chicken Wrap, tastes delicious cold.

Low Carb, High Fiber Wrap
Grilled Chicken cut up and mixed with Franks Buffalo Wing Sauce
Lettuce
Light Ranch Dressing coating the wrap (I usually use 1 tbsp)

If you don't mind cold waffles, in the morning I would toast 2 special K eggo waffles and use sugar free jelly to spread on them, when I would get the chance I would eat them.

I will try and think of other things you might be able to enjoy.
Vintage Glamour is offline   Reply With Quote