Old 04-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #1  
Fat and sassy

Default Somersizing?

Hi,
I posted on here a while back, but it's been a long time.
Anyway, I tried using the search figure, but couldn't come up with anything on this. Has anyone tried the Suzanne Somers diet, Somersize? If so were there any downsides to it?
I tried using Google, but most of the hits I found were for questions on Yahoo! Answers (not helpful) and info on Somers' website, which of course you have to take with a grain of salt.
I'm also not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but I think her program is low carb...
Thanks in advance.
MiddleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:46 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Somersizing is a food combining plan...it eliminates refined foods, such as sugar & white flour. Basically, you eat only certain food groups together.

Carbohydrates must be eaten with vegetables (and no fat).
Proteins must be eaten with vegetables and fats (but no carbs).
Fruit should be eaten alone and on an empty stomach.

Somersizing is a low-calorie plan based on healthier foods. It is, for most, however, difficult to sustain lower calories as well as properly combining foods at every meal.

My Mom is on a food combining plan called Fit For Life. She's been on it for months now and she has lost quite a bit of weight
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #3  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I lost the first 75 lbs by somersizing strictly by the book. I ate until I was full, didn't count calories at all. After several months, I became curious about how many calories I was eating and wanted to make a few changes (I really wanted to add peanut butter back to my diet!), so I started somersizing on level two and counting calories. That's more or less where I still am today.

I completely respect the plan, it required me to start eating healthy whole foods and taught me some great new habits.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

Big fan of whole foods here. Maybe if our society wasn't so screwy with processed foods we wouldn't have to diet at all. I have to chime in with Jtammy on the positives that I have heard about this wol. It is not a popular as it once was but I know a number of people that still follow a version thereof to this day. I think DH actually picked up a Somersizing book at a yard sale just the other day...Of course, I'm not fooled. I think he has a thing for Chrissy and wants to fondly reminice about his high school days when he watched her on Three's Company. I think she is just a pretty today...

SC
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 124kg(272)/94kg(209)/70kg(154

Height: 5'5"

My sister had good success following the plan. Well, until she stopped following the plan - but that's not the failure of the plan. Seems like she came up with some really good recipes from the Sommersize books that were applicable to the low-carb way of eating....like fried cheese crisps and a hamburger & cheese pie. yum. I'm hungry just thinking about that fried cheese - too bad I've decided to back off of the cheese a tiny bit this week.
KrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

I looooovvvveeee making Linda's microwave cheese crisps! I only do it once every few weeks though! Too easy to over induge. I never tried fried cheese crisps but it sounds heavenly. I think I want some of Linda's crisps right now!!!

SC
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:40 PM   #7  
Fat and sassy

Who is Linda?

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. It seems like there is a lot of learning that you have to do to get into her program. I picked up one of her books today at the Barnes and Noble near my house. I am encouraged by the fact that so many people have had success on her plan.
I had never heard of it before, but the other day I ate out with a friend who invited some ladies I had never met and one of them was talking about how she was on the Suzanne Somers diet. I later found out she meant a Somers program you get by joining ediets.com and I know they charge a monthly fee, so I'm not going to bother with that. I'm sure it's probably almost the same as the Somersize thing.
MiddleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #8  
~~Maintainer!~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleEye View Post
Who is Linda?

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. It seems like there is a lot of learning that you have to do to get into her program. I picked up one of her books today at the Barnes and Noble near my house. I am encouraged by the fact that so many people have had success on her plan.
I had never heard of it before, but the other day I ate out with a friend who invited some ladies I had never met and one of them was talking about how she was on the Suzanne Somers diet. I later found out she meant a Somers program you get by joining ediets.com and I know they charge a monthly fee, so I'm not going to bother with that. I'm sure it's probably almost the same as the Somersize thing.
There is a wonderful low carb recipe web site that has recipes suitable for somersizing also - http://genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html - That's the Linda that people are mentioning.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:56 AM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

I read one of her books, after had started with the South Beach Diet. As both of them are low carb program, they are very similar, except Somersizing make you combine group foods.
I try to follow somersizing as much as I can and has helped me lose some weight. It has great tips and recipes. I would say it is a great plan for someone who wants to keep the weight off.
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:07 AM   #10  

Default Does somersizing help with your digestion?

Does food combining help with your digestion? My son has a lot of problems with feeling bloated after eating.His doctor suggested food combining. I thought maybe somersizing might help.Please let me know if anyone has found this to be true. Thanks
Patricia
patricia54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:14 AM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricia54 View Post
Does food combining help with your digestion? My son has a lot of problems with feeling bloated after eating.His doctor suggested food combining. I thought maybe somersizing might help.Please let me know if anyone has found this to be true.
Hi Patricia,

I can't speak from personal experience but, my Mom does a program called Fit For Life...its food combining and she's been on it for years. She originally began the program due to digestion problems and says it has helped the problem tremedously.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #12  
~~Maintainer!~~

Absolutely, it makes a huge difference with bloating, gassy, digestive issues. I can see why a doctor would recommend food combining for someone with those issues.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 208/173/145

Hi all! I started somersizing just this week. I have been at a stall for quite awhile after losing 35lbs. After somersizing this week I have allready dropped 2 lbs! I eat all kinds of great tasting food and never feel hungry. It took a couple of days to detox from the junk food but now I feel energetic and am not craving the junk anymore.
dancediva33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: S 225/ C 220/ G 135

Height: 5'3

Hey ALL,

I to have Somersized before and have been successful. I have had a hard time however trying to find the "purest" forms of foods that it requires.
Examples: Heavy Cream, Fat Free Sour Cream, Cream Cheeses, mostly dairy to name just a few all I have come across have one additive/fillers or another that is not allowed, therfore, not what Suzanne suggest in her program. I guess I am under the impression that any "additive"/Filler throws the diet off. There are alot of recipes I would like to try from some of her books, but I just can't find the "purest" forms of the ingredients.

Has anyone else come across this problem? I like the program beause I can have A LOT of my favorite foods in the right combinations, withou really having portion control and eating til you're full. I have a love for Cheesecake, and with this program I can make her recipe and it is AWESOME! I like the fact that you can have " decadent" foods and sauces.

I have purchased quite a bit of her products and like them, my challenge is finding the "pure " ingredients to go along with it.

ANy ideas? and can anyone tell me if they just "use what they can find" and still have good results? I haven' tried doing it, I have just stayed away from what I cant find, so basically using the same recipes over and over.

I would like to start the program again, but dont want the "burn out" of not being able to try new recipes because I can't find the ingredients. Make sense?
Would appreciate ANY advice.

Thanks in advance.
YSLGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 272/260/145

Default Somersizer Since January 09

Hi, I read all of Suzannes Somersize books over December and after trying Atkins, WW and few others, I think this WOE ( way of eating) is great. Unlike Atkins, which I found too restrictive and WW, measure and counting, I have found that this is so easy to follow and I never feel deprived. I have gotten rid of all the refined sugar and caffiene and eat healthy whole foods. I have lost 13 pounds since January 5th 2009. I have quite a few pounds to go yet I know I can do this just by seeing and feeling the results in a short period of time. I suggest anyone interested in trying this read a couple of her books or do a search of her name.
Mama Nina is offline   Reply With Quote