Weight Loss Support - I'm BIG BONED... I always wondered how to determine

Sweetcaroline
04-05-2008, 09:44 PM
I always wondered how to determine my body frame, small, med, large..
I figured out on this link... I'm still big boned...

http://www.thinthin.com/article0067.html

Glory87
04-05-2008, 09:51 PM
This is a good site too!

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/fitness/bodyframe.html

fiberlover
04-05-2008, 10:25 PM
I forever thought I was small framed. Being short - I just assumed. Turns out I have a large frame. Lucky me - I can choose a higher goal weight LOL!

HarpoChicoGroucho
04-05-2008, 10:29 PM
I remember doing that test when I was over 300 pounds. My thumb and finger did not touch at all, suggesting that I was large framed, and now they severely overlap, suggesting I am small framed. I know I lost weight, but I'm sure my bones stayed the same size. And according to the other test that Glory sited, I was large framed, and now I am medium framed. I don't think they are accurate unless you are already at a normal (BMI or body fat percentage) weight.

Sweetcaroline
04-05-2008, 10:40 PM
I think you're absolutely right Harpo... I have fat wrists... LOL

Lovely
04-05-2008, 11:25 PM
My wrists are different sizes so... I guess I'm just Strange-Framed. But they don't have that as a category! :lol:

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly
04-05-2008, 11:40 PM
My wrists are different sizes so... I guess I'm just Strange-Framed. But they don't have that as a category! :lol:

LOL!!! strange-framed!

karmuz
04-06-2008, 05:46 AM
I've never understood that wrist measurement thing.. if you have a large frame isn't your hand going to be bigger, too? If I do that, my fingers touch, assuming I have a medium frame.
according to the second link using measurements, I DO have a large frame, which I don't totally believe anymore, either. I have large wrists and broad shoulders, but i am discovering lately that my torso is on the small side (smaller ribcage measurements than i thought possible, slimmer hips) so what on earth does that make me besides goofy looking? :)

JayEll
04-06-2008, 06:32 AM
It means we are all unique, and those measurements and techniques just use averages! Just like the scale, just like clothing sizes. Whee! :broc:

I've just got a small frame no matter how it's measured. Darn, I can't be a "big boned gal." :lol:

Jay

PinkyPie
04-06-2008, 06:41 AM
my boyfriend said "you have short fingers, not big bones!" :lol:

and I'm with Harpo... I can't touch them now, but a few years ago when I was actually AT my goal weight they touched just fine :)

HeatherAngel
04-06-2008, 10:26 AM
I have to agree as well - I believed I was 'big boned' because I could not get my fingers around my wrist - now I can, easily, with overlap. Has my frame changed? No, I'm just not carrying as much fat. I think this is rubbish - short fingers, fat wrists, frame size... it all seems pretty silly. :lol:

srmb60
04-06-2008, 10:38 AM
I like all those measurements and gauges and graphs and things. I think we so desperately want some way to measure our progress. It's fun.

rockinrobin
04-06-2008, 10:46 AM
I used to be extra large boned - & now somehow, some way my entire bone structure has changed and I find my self, ummm.... tiny boned. :shrug:

I'm kinda thinking that my frame stayed the same exact way, it's just what SURROUNDS my frame that has changed. ;)

I don't know, I just don't "go by" those things.

Sweetcaroline
04-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Sorry guys... I meant no harm... I just thought it was interesting...

vealcalf2000
04-06-2008, 11:13 AM

Absolutely no apology needed!!!! The site was fun. Like others said we are forever measuring ourselves and thsi was fun! LOL, I'm 5'10" and I swear I'm small boned! LOL to look at me with my big ole belly you wouldn't know. I jut happen to have very small fine boned wrists! LOL the only skinny thing on me!!!:p

PinkyPie
04-06-2008, 11:15 AM
no need to apologize, I found it quite amusing!

NightengaleShane
04-06-2008, 11:27 AM
I am never sure what to think of these things, because I think one's frame measurements should be determined by things like rib cage and hip bones. After all, isn't that where all the "filling" is? ;) However, if you are overweight at all, I know the hip bone theory would be pretty inaccurate.

According to that test, my wrist is on the smaller end of medium framed, but my elbow is unquestionably large framed. It was the same way when I was overweight. I personally still think I am big boned, because I'm just so broad and wide (large ribcage, broad shoulders).

Circebee
04-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Ha! Love this thread. I've used the "fingers around the wrist" technique of frame sizing before, and my fingers easily overlap. But, as my eloquent DH says, "But Honey, you have fingers like E.T.". Ah, the romance. The wrist-to-height ratio has me at a small frame as well. So why don't women's small size shirts fit my shoulders and arms? I guess, with my ET fingers, bony wrists and large rib cage, I must just be an alien. :) Or just a regular old "strange-framed" human being!

rockinrobin
04-06-2008, 12:41 PM

No need to apologize and no harm whatsoever. It was kinda interesting to hear everyone's take on it.

nelie
04-06-2008, 12:55 PM
I think the elbow measurement is a much better determiner of your frame size but really you don't know until you lose weight.

At my largest size, I thought I had bony wrists and there was no way I could wrap my fingers around my wrist and have them meet. Now I have a bonier wrist and my fingers overlap slightly.

dandk0204
04-06-2008, 06:48 PM
I did this when I was in the 300's and couldn't touch my fingers together, I just tried it right now and they touch perfectly.

zenor77
04-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Perhaps frame measurements should be like body fat testing (with a caliper.) It probably be more accurate if you took several measurements into account and did an average.

MiddleEye
04-06-2008, 10:52 PM
You guys can add me to the "strange framed" list. I am fairly sure I have a small frame because when I was younger I was tiny. When I was fifteen I was 99 pounds and when I was twenty I was about 110 and I was never skinny to the point of boniness. Just slender. But I am only five feet tall, so 110 is more weight on me than it would be on someone taller.
When I was 110 pounds my fingers overlapped on my wrist easily, but now not so much...So I will say that I think that test only works on someone who is already at their healthiest weight.

Altari
04-07-2008, 03:38 AM
I'm "large framed" don't need a test to tell me, lol. :P Shoulders like a line backer and my ankles are HUGE (and not in that "cankle" way). I think these things are good for weight-lossers, though. If I hadn't learned in my teens that I was "big boned" then I'd be shooting for 120 pounds right now...which is completely, totally, unbelievably unreachable.

ShannanA
04-07-2008, 04:21 AM
Supposedly I am small framed, but I really think I am medium at least. I could never be under a size 6, I would just look sickly.

BTW I have long fingers.

Mrs Snark
04-07-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm 5'10 and according to my wrists, I'm small framed. Which is probably true. I remember being at my doctor's office once and saying something about being "big-boned" as an excuse for my weight and my doctor laughed and said, "You're not big-boned, you're just over weight".

Way to burst my delusional bubble, Doc!

Jasmine31
04-07-2008, 05:00 PM
My left hand can wrap around my right wrist and just meet. My right hand has trouble wrapping around the left wrist and it barely meets. LOL

Scarlett
04-07-2008, 05:49 PM
use elbow measurements more accurate.

I also had been telling myself I was large boned for awhile, thinking I only needed to get down to 175 the normal weight BMI cutoff for my height...I was shocked to find out that I have a small frame and am actually like 50+ pounds overweight rather than 20. Was quite a reality check.

CousinRockingChair
04-08-2008, 05:10 PM
The wrist thing must be rubbish! At 5ft 7ins with 6inch wrists I'm small framed? LOL get outta here. My father used to say I was built like a carthorse.

Actually thats not so funny is it.

Amusing thread though

ShannanA
04-08-2008, 07:52 PM
My wrists are 6 inches, as well as my husbands. I'd say he has a small frame though.

Idealmuse
04-09-2008, 12:47 AM
There is also an elbow type measurement which tends to be a little more accurate because we do carry fat on the wrists if you're heavy enough.

I was "large framed" when I was 302 and I am "Large framed" at 202 and I have not that much fat on my wrists anymore. My fingers still don't touch.

"lucky" me? I rather be smaller framed because I will never be considered tiny or thin with the frame I have. But on the bright side... a bit less left to lose. :)