Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/236/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Protien shakes

Do any of you use them? I am just starting strength training and I am on the South Beach Diet. I am not even sure if the shakes are necessary with the little weights I am lifting. I'm thinking Atkins protein shakes but I am not sure. Would I drink one just on days I strength train?
cathbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:01 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

well it depends on why you want to use them. A lot of people use them out of convenience. I add hemp protein powder to my morning smoothie and I really like it. I am trying to increase my protein intake though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:29 PM   #3  

I use them, but I also lift weights as well. Not to a bodybuilder extent but I wanna buff up just a little bit. Definitely great for building muscle.

BUT...I've heard that protein shakes are VERY healthy for you even if you don't lift weights. A few almonds, whey powder, dry oatmeal oats (yes, oatmeal, lol) mixed frozen berries, lowfat yogurt, and some skim milk and you have one very healthy drink on your hands.
Coryo61827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #4  

I used to use them to up my protein levels when dieting, but now I just eat more chicken and turkey breast. As others mentioned, they are convenient, but I only think they are really useful if your plan includes several meals a day and you are using shakes as a quick meal at work or on the go.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

My usage/preference is similar to Robert's.

As far as Atkins, do they make a powder? I've only seen them in expensive ready to drink formulas that were not very good in my opinion. If you are looking to the Atkins name because, it like South Beach is associated with limiting carbs or at least bad carbs, then I wouldn't bother. There are many excellent protein powders out there that have similar or better low carb makeups than Atkins and are less expensive. Powder also gives you flexibility to use it in things other than shakes, whereas the RTD formulas are limited in this fashion.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I like them. I have a hard time with breakfasts & find it easier to put back a shake then try to get something else that fits into my plan into me. I also use them before &/or after my workouts - depending on the day. I'm lazy with food - hate to cook so they work well for me.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 153/120

Height: 5' 4"

I use them too in a similar way to Lifeguard. We have a WholeFoods close by and their 365 whey isolate protein powder ( I really like the chocolate flavor one) is good tasting at a reasonable price.
I use 1 cup of organic 1% milk, a banana, and 1 Tbsp organic flax seed in my blender.
Yummy and 25 grams of protein.
Then I eat chicken, turkey, eggs, fish for protein at my other meals.
I've been trying to have more protein since I've been lifting.

Last edited by KatieK; 04-07-2008 at 05:05 PM.
KatieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #8  
on a mission

i have started using protien shakes, i think they are an excellent way too get fast acting protien in after the gym. but generaly i try too rely on whole foods for my protien needs at other times. mainly chicken breast and tuna.
paulym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I don't really do protein shakes too often. I try to center around having a huge intake of veggies, fruit and then proteins with some fat and whole grains. Whole grains have lots of good protein. I have added more fish to our diet also. At least 2times a week, even if it is tuna fish one of those times :P
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #10  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I don't do shakes that often, but I do add protein powder to other foods to boost the amount I get in a day. I add the powder to pancake mixes, stir a bit into sauces and such.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:34 PM   #11  

I find that protein shakes don't seem to do anything for me. Now I'm just drinking milk after weight training.
Bravissimo is offline   Reply With Quote