The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing - The next season announced - The Biggest Loser: Families

Oppurtunity
04-04-2008, 01:13 AM
http://thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?date=04/02/08&id=20080402nbc01

NBC has announced the next two seasons of The Biggest Loser, the next one being a Family edition airing from September to December. In January another Couples season will begin, airing much like this Couples season has, from January to April.

chellez
04-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks so much for the news!

I think I'm going to grow tired of all of this couples mess. I did get a newsletter from WW saying couples that try to lose weight together have a high success rate. But come on NBC.... you can only do couples so long before we get burnt out.

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly
04-04-2008, 11:29 AM
cool!:carrot:

ennay
04-14-2008, 01:19 AM
Families makes me a bit nervous...kids involved? I dont think kids should be losing at that level.

Hannah25
04-14-2008, 02:03 AM
I agree ennay, it is going to be very interesting if children are involved. Not only is the intensity of the exercise arguably more dangerous, but the public humiliation involved (getting on the scale each week, wearing the jog top and spandex, etc.) seems entirely inappropriate for children. Maybe all of the "families" will just be over 18, then I'm fine with it.

Assuming a family is bigger than a "couple", the teams are going to be like 4 people. In that case they are either going to have to cast like 100 people or else they are going to have to break into individuals after only a couple of weeks. If they only had 20 people like in the past, that would only be five teams, meaning we would be down to a winner in 3 eliminations...now that can't work! Luckily I'm sure the producers have thought this out in much greater detail than me. Should be interesting!

PinkyPie
04-14-2008, 03:44 AM
They will most likely adjust the program for families. We have a BL version here in the Netherlands, the current one is also for families and it seems less hard core.

It's a great show and while I don't watch it regularly, I do watch it when I remember that it's on. It definitely inspires me!

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly
04-14-2008, 02:13 PM
i would think they would have an age limit assigned but who knows??

rockstar87
04-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Families? Hmm... I wonder if it's going to be like teams of four or something? If kids are involved I'm sure there'll be an age limit. I highly doubt they would have someone who was too young to lift weights come on the show. I wonder if they do have kids they split everyone up and train the kids and adults separately?

Jen415
04-14-2008, 05:00 PM
They did a short season a couple of years ago with families-I think the youngest of any of the family members was 16 or so. It wasn't as in your face as a regular season, but the results were still pretty good!

sportmom
04-14-2008, 06:56 PM
They couldn't take the kids out of school that long, and even in many places, schools run year round now, so hopefully we'll be spared from that. I really don't want to watch puffy faced obese kids, that just makes me so sad. It's not fair to them to put them on a show - I hated the little bit I watched of that Shaq show and others. But getting thru the next 5 months with no BL??? They've gotten us addicted on Tuesday nites & that will be the hardest part now! Hopefully Bravo & Style will help us out with reruns again.

Tomato
04-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Grrr......that means we have to wait till SEPTEMBER for another season .... families won't be nearly as interesting ( at least not to me).

dixied
04-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Personally I think they should come to 3FC and pick the next group. Ya know how they did those 1 episode family and military wives specials. I think they need a 3FC special. ;)

Diva
04-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Personally I think they should come to 3FC and pick the next group. Ya know how they did those 1 episode family and military wives specials. I think they need a 3FC special. ;)

I totally agree!:D

Tomato
04-15-2008, 12:13 PM

That's an awesome suggestion. Dee, you should contact NBC and suggest it to them. Maybe we should start a petition.:)

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly
04-15-2008, 01:34 PM
LOL I like that idea!

Catsgetnhealthy
04-15-2008, 01:56 PM
They did a short season a couple of years ago with families-I think the youngest of any of the family members was 16 or so. It wasn't as in your face as a regular season, but the results were still pretty good!

Yep I remember that. I remember 2 families both had teen girls. And it showed them more at home, they had brought in the gym equipment, stocked their kitchen and I can't remember what else.

Shay
04-15-2008, 02:43 PM
I agree with Chellez in couples and families are just not as interesting to me. But of course I will continue to watch. I've abandoned AI this year to watch TBL. Well, AI hasn't been too great the past few seasons anyway. I think they will run the show like they did for that short special like Cat mentioned--at home.

jillybean720
04-15-2008, 04:06 PM
I agree that families and couples don't appeal to me as much, either. I was 100% addicted to the regular individuals seasons, but I only watched the first episode of this couples season and have had no desire to tune in since.

When I heard families, I didn't even think about kids. I immediately thought of my own family: parents in their 50s, my sister at 31, and me about to turn 26. We've all got a few pounds to shed, and I would think that's more the type of family they're going for--all over 16, maybe even all over 18.

I think a 3FC season (or special episode) on TBL is a FABULOUS idea. I went to an open casting call a couple seasons ago--what a waste of time. I mean, I studied marketing and music industry, so I know it's all about what "sells," but it was such a joke.

Mrs Snark
04-15-2008, 04:37 PM
So do they ever tell what the competitors are eating? I've always wondered exactly how many calories these folks are taking in and how many hours exercise per day they get...

Also, I think it is really interesting that the guys have to weigh in with no shirt when they are very heavy, but once they lose weight they weigh in with shirts ON, so we don't see what all that weight loss has don't to their skin?

diamondgeog
04-16-2008, 09:07 AM
If they (CBS I think but they the networks really no difference between FOX and the others now) did that kidville thing reality show with like really young children....why would they put an age limit on this? Reality shows are becoming awful, I do not see NBC 'rising' to any ethical heights here.

If you have a TV landscape with moment of truth (never watched a second but promos) and wifeswap (just a minute watched) networks will do anything, will humilate anyone to get people to watch. Afterall wifeswap totally involves kids and sometimes infants. Only way to make it stop is not to watch.

On second thought maybe only the law would make them stop. I think people have to sign consent forms because of health reasons. But then again you have the kid reality shows so who knows? I still think BL is a bad egg. Fit TV has much better, more realistic, more sane, and yes people losing slower weight loss programs. BL is just a bad way to present weight loss. Totally unrealistic, lots of intentional misleading of viewers (sometimes a week isn't a week, water weight loss, etc.).

Good for Ali (I read the boards I did not watch the show, did not even realize it was the final). But who knows what such rapid weight loss did to her body? Her starting weight? Unhealthy? You bet. Such rapid weight loss unhealthy? Probably. And also of course no one can live on a 'weight ranch' or whatever. At least FitTV and Discovery health has some actual reality to it.

Bottomline if the lawyers say they can do it they will put kids on.

Dea
04-16-2008, 02:49 PM
I remember when Amazing Race did the family season....instead of travelling the world, the stayed in the U.S, some families were all siblings or cousins, and a couple of the families had pre-teen kids.
That season got terrible ratings. I know shows want to mix it up a bit, but why do they need to mess with something that works so well??

ArmyWife02
04-19-2008, 02:05 AM
they had a military wives BL?? that would have been neat....its rare to have shows about us wives ;) except for USA's Army Wives show...yes i love the show for the drama...but real military wives/lives aren't really like that..at least not what i have seen in my 6 years as an army wife (which does include raising two small kids and having hubby deployed out of country for 3 years).....

chellez
06-09-2008, 11:54 AM
From what I'm gathering... Families is going to run through the fall of 08

Then Couples is going to start in the winter. There's no announcement for the summer.

Smart strategy on NBC's behalf... load the public up with BL when people are most prone to overeat then give them a break in the summer.

Just read on the BL forums on NBC Families is slated for October