South Beach Diet - New South Beach Living puddings

View Full Version : New South Beach Living puddings

murphmitch
04-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Just saw these in the store today. South Beach Living reduced calorie pudding in two flavors: Milk Chocolate Truffle & Dark Chocolate Vanilla Marble. :drool: They have 60 calories and 3gms fiber. Sweetened with 7 gms sugar alcohol (xylitol and maltitol) which might bother some peoples' systems. I know they're not real natural but I picked up the Milk Chocolate one and thought I would try them. They don't even have anything about them yet on Kraft's SBD web site so they must be pretty new.

mary83
04-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Milk chocolate truffle sounds amazing...what section of the store were they in?

murphmitch
04-03-2008, 10:46 PM
In the refrigerated area with yogurts and puddings. I'll let you know how it tastes.

xGurlyGrlx
04-04-2008, 02:06 AM
I didn't see them at my store. :mad: Hopefully they will carry it.

murphmitch
04-04-2008, 05:39 PM
The milk chocolate was good. I think they must be brand new as I can't even find any company info about them on their web site.

mary83
04-05-2008, 08:30 AM
I can't wait to try it!! Thanks for the update, Anne.

tdiprincess
04-05-2008, 03:03 PM
I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled. although, I just tried the jello Sf white chocolate...mmmmmmmhhhmmm.. YUMMY!! LOL It took a lot of control not to eat the whole batch...LOL

bargoo
04-05-2008, 03:16 PM
No malitol for me anything with malitol is followed up with Imodium.

zeffryn
04-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Your store might have been included in a focus group, which may be why they aren't available all over and why you can't find any info on the company website.

I do wish Kraft made more SBD1 stuff. I could use the convenience sometimes.

murphmitch
04-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Your store might have been included in a focus group, which may be why they aren't available all over and why you can't find any info on the company website.

I do wish Kraft made more SBD1 stuff. I could use the convenience sometimes.

I was thinking that myself when I couldn't find info on their website about it. If it sells well, then maybe it will be more widely distributed. I'd also expect they would start offering coupons for new stuff, always love those.

zeffryn
04-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Hopefully it will be more widely distributed when I'm on phases 2 &3. I'm almost happy they don't have it in stores now.....pudding and chocolate are two big triggers for me. ;)

beachgal
04-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks for letting us know, Anne!

I'm a big fan of the Jell-o puddings--the caramel ones are really good and they even have ones with chocolate on top! :T Kozy Shack makes some great No-Sugar-Added ones...three with fruit (including one with chocolate and cherries!) and one with tapioca (another with white rice, which is a no-no on SBD...).

Malitol gives me pretty bad cravings, so I try to avoid it, though it's in almost everything, so that's frustrating. :shrug:

zeffryn
04-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Beachgal- Try sticking to organic or "all natural" foods. They won't have sugar alcohols like Malitol and Xylitol. Sugar alcohols give me crazy indigestion and bad bad bad cravings.

beachgal
04-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks, Zeffryn! Unfortunately, other than the very rare cases (like Stonybridge farms) that use erythritol, none of the organic/all natural products are made with sugar substitutes. I literally cannot have the sugar--so that includes "evaporated cane juice," molasses, honey, etc. It's a frustration for me, because I love eating organic! But I have faith that in time, we'll see more products sweetened with xylitol, erythritol, and stevia. :D

I hear you on the indigestion and the cravings. Malitol is the only one that makes me crave, but they all cause digestive upset in large quantities. :yes:

zeffryn
04-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Is there a medical reason why you cannot have such sweeteners (molasses, honey, etc.) or just because you're beachin'?

Does anybody else find that as soon as they are on phase one and can't have any sweet stuff that it is the only thing you want? I'm craving honey right now. Last night I had ricotta cheese with cinnamon and vanilla ext. I would have killed to throw a little orange blossom honey in it. :( YAY, WILLPOWER!!

tomandkara
04-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Zeffryn, you could use agave to substitute for honey. It's made from the nectar of a cactus plant and has a very low glycemic index (doesn't spike your blood sugar). It's the same consistency as honey. I use it in oatmeal and tea and for baking.

Did you all know stevia is an actual plant? I just learned this the other day.

Kara

cottagebythesea
04-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Actually, agave nectar should also be avoided on Phase 1 because it's made from the agave plant, which is a fruit.

zeffryn
04-08-2008, 12:14 PM
So Agave can be used during Phase 2? Fantastic. I love Agave.

Can Stevia be used during phase 1, or just splenda. I would feel better about using stevia, although I've been trying to avoid anything sweet.

I had a little taste of roasted cashew butter this morning. It was so good. omg. I could have eaten the entire container. I'm proud of myself that I stuck to just that one taste!

tomandkara
04-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Actually, agave nectar should also be avoided on Phase 1 because it's made from the agave plant, which is a fruit.

I thought we figured out that because the glycemic index is low enough, it was OK for Phase 1???

Kara

pamatga
04-08-2008, 12:30 PM
I started out on SBD having the sf puddings as part of my daily "Sweet Treat" but after a couple of months I have decided that 1) they really don't taste all that great 2) other sf foods taste better.

The only thing that I have noticed is that the "sweeter" something tastes the more I want of it including artificially sweetened foods. I feel that my taste preferences are changing the more I am following this food plan. I am noticing when there is an after taste with some of the artificially sweetened foods. I have only once "binged" on sf foods. It was a couple of years ago and I paid for it dearly so I know not to eat more than one serving.;)

Again, like Dr. A. alluded to, some of us like to have "something sweet" after our dinner meal. That is the only time that I seem to really want something "sweet". In case any one is interested in how to avoid eating something "sweet" entirely, if that is their personal goal: try eating some of your cheese. I have found that it works wonderfully in both getting rid of the need for "something sweet"(you think I have said that often enough?) and it also fills you up for very few calories too!!

JerseyGirrl
04-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Where can I find agave nectar? I haven't been able to find it in local supermarkets. I'm making my first trip ever to Trader Joe's next week(TJ Virgin here:rofl:). Can I find it there?

zeffryn
04-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Congrats on being a TJ convert! You will never go back!

You should be able to find it there, I find mine at our local health food store. We aren't lucky enough to have a TJ or a Whole Foods, so I have to go to numerous tiny organic health food stores and produce markets to get what we need. Thankfully they are all within a few miles :)

JerseyGirrl
04-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks Zeff!! I recently discovered there is 1 about 20 minutes from me. I think it must have just recently opened. I've been dying to go. I know I'm going to wind up blowing half my pay check in there trying to buy everything everyone has mentioned here before and I could never find anywhere. LOL

femmecreole
04-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Kara, I have a couple of Stevia plants (that luckily made it through the winter and are growing like crazy now) Every now and then when I'm outside, I'll pop a leaf in my mouth...talk about SWEET!!

zeffryn
04-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Femme, I had never thought about growing stevia before...I might have to take a run to the nursery to see if they have any.

xGurlyGrlx
04-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Jersey - You can get Agave nectar from TJ's. That is where I get mine. I always think I am going to spend hundreds of dollars there...but I have really never spent more than $80. I think TJ's is pretty cheap! Have fun!

tomandkara
04-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Kara, I have a couple of Stevia plants (that luckily made it through the winter and are growing like crazy now) Every now and then when I'm outside, I'll pop a leaf in my mouth...talk about SWEET!!

I saw that it grows in southern California, too. I was wondering if I'd be able to try some in Germany...

Do you know how it's converted into the sweetener to be used in baking? I've only ever seen stevia in liquid form, and I know you only use a small dropperful in even dessert recipes, so it must be quite sweet!

Kara

zeffryn
04-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Trader Joe's is way cheaper compared to Whole Paycheck.

Kara, you're moving to Germany?

tomandkara
04-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Yep! In one month, three weeks, and two days. Can't wait!

"Whole Paycheck" :rofl: That is SO true!

Kara

beachgal
04-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Kara, it comes in many forms--powdered, liquid, etc. I'm not sure how they make it into those forms, but it's definitely a plant. :D It would be really fun to grow!

Zeffryn, we're not supposed to have any form of sugar--including molasses, maple syrup, honey, etc. Though Dr. A hasn't officially approved agave nectar (at least, I don't think he has... :?: ), as a group, most of us decided that it was worth trying and I don't think anyone has reported any cravings as a result. :shrug: I would assume that Stevia should be okay in Phase 1--though it all depends on your body. If you can do without it, you might want to wait for P2 rather than taking the chance of compromising your P1...but it would definitely be better than reaching for honey or something. ;)

JerseyGrrl, you are SOOOOOO lucky!!! :love: I hope you adore TJ's as much as I do. You can definitely spend a lot of money there, but you get a TON of high-quality volume for your buck. The one thing to know about TJ's is that they try new products all the time, but if they don't sell well, they're whisked off the shelves pretty quickly. So you might find something you love and then not be able to find it--therefore, buy a lot if you like something! ;) Last time I was there, I found some WW Pita chips that were flavored--some kind of onion and something? They were delicious!!! Two of the crew members came up to me while I was holding the bag and said, "Oh, I LOVE those!" :lol: Guess that's hard to pass up! Have a blast and report back so the TJ-less among us can drool.

In case any one is interested in how to avoid eating something "sweet" entirely, if that is their personal goal: try eating some of your cheese. I have found that it works wonderfully in both getting rid of the need for "something sweet"(you think I have said that often enough?) and it also fills you up for very few calories too!!

How French, Pamatga! :lol: Seriously, a cheese plate is a "dessert" in France. DH and I love that idea so much that we sometimes do it at home and we love to go to a local pub here in town that serves a cheese plate with fruit and whole grain crackers! :T It's very satisfying.

tdiprincess
04-09-2008, 02:10 PM
We don't have TJ's here in buffalo. we have Wegman's but I don't think its the same. I want to get to one, but there aren't any close enough...LOL Maybe one day they'll bring it here :)
Anyhow, I enjoy sf pudding and sf jello with some cool whip as my desserts. sometimes I'll throw in a piece of SF candy...