Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Costco Chicken Cesar Salad

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-...food-court.htm

Going to Costco tomorrow. I always get the chicken cesar salad at their food court. I bring my own dressing. The salad has lots of romaine lettuce, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, maybe onions (can't remember), and chicken which appears to be poached or grilled - not breaded, fried. The whole thing is sprinkled with a modest amount of parmesan cheese. The link above says there may be some error in their computation of calories.

Have any of you had this salad? I am hoping that by bringing my own low fat, low calorie dressing and not eating the croutons, that I am avoiding huge amounts of calories. Am I in denial?

Last edited by gailr42; 04-03-2008 at 11:32 AM.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Unfortunately, salads can be one of the most calorically rich foods, depending what is in them. Using your own salad dressing is a good way to cut down on the calories but you need to not equate salad with healthy.

I'd forget about thinking about the vegetables in the salad but concentrate on the chicken, cheese and croutons.

How much chicken is in the salad? 4 ozs? more? Also remember it could be grilled but often commercial grilled products are often marinated in butter if not at least coated in it.

How much cheese in the salad? a couple tablespoons?

How many croutons are in the salad? Does it equal what looks to be a slice of bread? More? are they cheesy croutons?

I've never seen the salad but I could imagine it easily being 500 calories if not more. How many calories are you allotting for it?

Edited to add - Actually, I looked up possibilities for the dressing and it looks like it would probably be around 200 calories for the dressing. Various sites have the Costco chicken caesar salad ranging from 800-900 calories. So I'd probably allot 600-700 calories for the salad minus the dressing. Although if whoever makes the salad is a bit more generous with the cheese or chicken, it could be a bit more than that.

Last edited by nelie; 04-03-2008 at 11:07 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

It comes with a little package of croutons. I don't eat them. The cheese is fairly large shreds of parmesan. I am pretty good at estimating (I check myself periodically). I would say that 2 Tbs is the max it could be. The chicken (about the same as I would use - 2.5 - 3oz)looks and tastes exactly like the plain, boneless, skinless chicken breast that I buy at Costco. In fact, the whole thing seems exactly the same as I would make at home - right down to the little tomatoes. I am going to make a point of asking exactly what they do to the chicken.

How to allot calories is what I am trying to figure out. It seems to me that the main things to count are the chicken, the cheese and my own dressing. Like you say, the big pile of romaine and veggies is not the problem. I didn't get fat by eating too much lettuce. I might even take a measuring spoon and check out how much cheese is really in there. It is usually in a little pile, so I could probably get it all. My husband will probably move to another table when I whip out my measuring equipment.

Last edited by gailr42; 04-03-2008 at 11:30 AM.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #4  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Gail, I click on the link that you provided and wow, I am quite shocked to see that it is approx 750 calories while Big Mac is 600. A lot of it probably comes from the dressing, so you are smart to bring your own.

Last edited by Tomato; 04-03-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #5  

wow i really need to try this the next time at costco - i usually rush out after i shop to avoid a snack/meal
chickyboo is offline   Reply With Quote