Old 04-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #1  
Butterfly

S/C/G: 235/183/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Excited about exercise?

Is this really happening?

My biggest struggle with weight loss has always been getting myself moving. I'm a fairly active person on a regular basis and I love walking BUT when it comes to weight training, resistance, all that other crap... I just hate doing it. I'll do it consistently for maybe 2 weeks or so and then I'll just give up because it is completely taxing and boring to me. I was told that the body is supposed to relieve some chemical into the blood stream after you finish working out that is supposed to make you feel good, but all I ever felt was worn out! Lately I noticed that I started to pick up weight again because I just couldn't motivate myself to get up, kick my own butt, and be bored to tears with it. I was starting to get depressed until I discovered the light at the end of the tunnel; DANCING! I've always enjoyed dancing a lot. Even as a kid I took some dance classes. I started with a Go-Go dance DVD. It didn't feel like exercise at all to me, just dancing! The DVD had ended and I didn't even realize that I was sweating! LOL! I went to Target and bought Core Rhythms and 10 minute Solutions: Dance it off & Tone it up. Honestly this is the most fun I've ever had being active EVER. I actually look forward to dancing when I get home. It's challenging without making me feel like I am trying to do the impossible. Do you know what else? I actually do feel good when I am finished with the DVDs! It's just so weird to me to think I am the girl who would just lay in bed watching TV instead of working out. Well not anymore. I feel accomplished and there are no signs of stopping.

Just out of curiosity, what are some of the things you guys do that you really enjoy that help keep you focused?
motownsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/179/125

Height: 5'7"

I watch movies while I workout! My exercise bike is in the family/tv room down here, so I get on it and watch television, and since my treadmill is in a corner in the toy room, I go in there, bring my laptop, turn on a movie, and watch the entire movie while running on the treadmill. Helps to pass the time instead of starring at a wall.
scorpio88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:03 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Motown you have found the secret to continuing! Finding something you want to do! That's so exciting that you enjoy it.

I like to treadmill. I've got a little habit now of going down to treadmill right after work and watching the end of Law & Order, and the beginning of Charmed on TNT. I sometimes wish my schedule were so that I could see all of Charmed, but I do have fun watching what I see
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:11 AM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

That's awesome that you've found something that gets you moving! Many people just trudge along at the gym doing something they find totally miserable and monotonous when they don't have to! It's like with diet- you have to find something that fits you. Exercise, like diet, is not a one size fits all thing. Sometimes I am happy on the elliptical and other times I really enjoy running outside. When I just want to get the cardio in, though, I occaisionally need to bribe myself with a few new workout songs off iTunes, a magazine, or something like that.

And with dancing, you are learning a new skill! My friend has talked me into hip hop and bellydancing classes and I'm looking forward to mixing it up a bit. And who knows- maybe I will find some new muscles

Way to go!

Last edited by junebug41; 04-03-2008 at 08:11 AM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/142.6/132

Height: 5'6"

I understand about being bored at the gym! The only way I get myself to go now is that since I don't have cable TV at home, I know I can watch the Food Network if I go excercise at the gym. Watching Rachael Ray "stream in the EVOO" reminds me that I need to keep working harder on the elliptical and not make her recipes at home because there is no way that much oil is beneficial for anyone watching their calories.
orthodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #6  

That's so great that you found something that you love to do!

I also like walking/jogging on the treadmill while watching TV.
hellcatjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #7  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

awesome, I have tried dancing for exercise on one of those programs on tv but sadly I am totally without rhythm. Although I'm sure if someone taped ME trying to follow the steps it would provide some sort of entertainment value for others. I like to get out on my bike and ride along the trails that line the river near my apartment, I like the wind in my face, watching all the birds and the occasional cow as I fly by...its fun. I'm glad you found a fun way for you to stay active, it definitely helps!
carolineintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #8  
I will do this.

I work out with a trainer or with my fiance.

I also like to listen to dirrrrty naughty rap songs while on the treadmill that make me feel sexy
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:13 AM   #9  
Can't wait till 170

S/C/G: 225/187/130

Height: 5'7"

That's great! I love dancing, too. When i was in Korea, I used to go salsa dancing almost every weekend, and my arms and abs had more definition to it and everything.. but not anymore, as I'm not able to find anywhere to go latin dance...and having a 2 yr old without someone to watch her, and not having someone to go dance with doesn't help either. However, I may also look into those dance dvds you listed..although some belly dance dvd set I got was sooo boring.
taragettingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 174/135

Height: 5'3

At the old Gold's Gym I went to, there was a huge movie room and they would always play good movies. It was dark in there, mostly ellipticals, bikes, treadmills, etc. It helped me get into working out because I LOVE watching movies. It also helped me do thirty min on the elliptical without even realizing. Now, however, since we moved, I go to a new gym with no movie theater. My friend helps me though and we just talk while on the elliptical and laugh about how much we are both sweating. It makes me way less self-conscious, and enjoy my time there.
hugsforfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

yeah, belly dancing isn't as fun as it sounds, i've found!
faerie -- i HATE catching just the end of Law and Order! I'm so addicted to that show, but if I don't catch the beginning, I don't watch!
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote