100 lb. Club - 100 lbs in a year?

View Full Version : 100 lbs in a year?

ThatsSpify
04-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Is this doable!?!?! I'd love to say it is but now before I have even started losing a substancial amount of weight I'm afraid of hitting a platue haha. So far ive lost id say between 5 and 6 lbs. Im weighing myself to much so it fluctuates. I think I will be setting a goal not to step on the scale till monday and then once weekly.

Heather
04-02-2008, 09:01 PM
I think it depends on a lot of things.... how much you have to lose, how consistent you can be, your metabolism, etc. I lost 100 pounds in 55 weeks. But I didn't try to set goals to dates because I didn't want to feel like a failure if I didn't quite make a goal. Even so, I remember wondering how much I could push myself to make that "one year" goal. I "only" lost 97 pounds in a year. I still call that success!

So, yes, it can be done, but my advice would be not to focus on the dates per se...

shelby897
04-02-2008, 09:04 PM
I have 100 lbs to lose -- it has to go :D -- whether it takes 1 year, 1 1/2 years, etc. So, to me, the goal is to lose 100 lbs (by healthy, doable means) -- the amount of time it takes is irrelevant to me -- I feel as long as I stick to my plan and plug along, it will be gone. I'd love to end this year at my goal, but like Heather said, whatever amount you lose is an accomplishment.

Taylor86
04-02-2008, 09:06 PM
I also have 100 pounds to loose....and I don't care if it takes me 2 years...

Just keep your head in the right place and take the next step.

Lovely
04-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Oh, it's doable. Plenty of people can lose 100 lbs in a year. HOWEVER, and oh there's always a however, that doesn't mean that you can. (Sorry!) Heather said it: "It depends."

You might be able to lose that, you might not. But even if you "only" lost 50 lbs in a year, wouldn't it be phenomenal being 50 lbs closer to your goal?

GirlyGirlSebas
04-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Yes, it is very possible. I would aim for 100, but be happy even if you don't quite reach that number. Anything is an improvement, right? Just do your best and the rest will follow in its own time.

ThatsSpify
04-02-2008, 09:22 PM
makes sense guys, any weight loss at this point in time is an accomplishment for me! :hug:

kissingginger
04-02-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm on a mission to lose 100 this year. I think it's doable, but it really depends on so many things.

If I see Dec 31 and the scale shows only 85 lbs gone ...do you think I would be upset about it?? I would be rejoicing! it's 85 lbs. gone! Whooo Hoooo.....

Have fun on your journey!
Ginger

ShannanA
04-02-2008, 10:05 PM
If you lost 2 lbs a week..... I didn't quite make it, those darned plateaus and my refusal to exercise LOL.

loserjulie
04-02-2008, 10:11 PM
It is definitely possible. I did it and that was with losing and gaining the same 3 or 4 lbs for about a month around Christmas. Of course, after I lost the 100, I had this attitude that I could eat whatever I wanted because I had lost 100 lbs. Now I'm starting over again. Best of luck!

broadabroad
04-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Well, I hope so! But although I'd love to lose 100lb in a year, I'm giving myself 2 years, in the belief that I can DEFINITELY do it in 2 years. And I'm going to try to do it in 1 - but that's more like a challenge, type of thing. Gives me a safety net, so I don't feel that I'm failing if it turns out that my body wants to take it a bit slower.

dandk0204
04-02-2008, 10:59 PM
100lbs is totally doable if you have alot of weight to lose or if you work hard at it. My goal is 100 pounds this year, I started at 318 in January and I'm now 255 so I have around 37lbs left to lose this year to reach my goal. My weight has slowed down now and I'm around 2 pounds a week now. Just be happy with whatever the total is after a year. Any weightloss equals good weightloss :)

LaurieDawn
04-02-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm coming up on my 1-year anniversary in May, and I could have lost 100 pounds had I been more consistent throughout. But, you know what? I don't regret it at all. I have learned so much about myself and what works for me and what doesn't work for me, and that information will be incredibly useful when I'm trying to maintain my loss. I've set a final goal to be 90 pounds down by 05/14/08 - my anniversary - and there's a good chance that I won't make that either. I'm doing what I should be doing, and the scale is not cooperating the way I'd like it to cooperate. Maybe I'll get a whoosh as a reward for good behavior. Maybe not. But this is for life, and I will shed no tears if I am "only" 85 pounds down on that anniversary.

ShannanA
04-03-2008, 01:26 AM
If it makes you feel any better, that last 20 lbs I needed to lose last time took me forever, it's ok though, I did lose it eventually (like I will again) and if it takes awhile to lose, that just means that I'm not just going to turn around and gain it right back.

Idealmuse
04-03-2008, 01:51 AM
It's very doable!! I just hit my 100 this morning. Yeay! It took me about 11 months... with constant food recording and LOTS of exercise.

That being said don't focus on the numbers TOO much or you'll drive yourself crazy. Everyone's body is different.

It also depends on how close to your goal weight -100 gets you. If your trying to loose exactly 100 the last 10-15 are notoriously a pain in the butt.

kaplods
04-03-2008, 05:42 AM
I always fail when I set "goal by" dates, as when I start to fall behind schedule, I end up doing crazy unsustainable stuff to try to "catch up" like skipping meals, or lettuce only days...

I'm learning (it's a very hard habit to break) to focus on behaviors (I can directly control) rather than the weight (which is sometimes more complicated).

findingfawn
04-03-2008, 08:29 AM
I really would love to be down 100#s in a year, but I don't see it happening.. esp. now... but that's a story for another thread.

fiberlover
04-03-2008, 08:42 AM
I would focus on working your plan and see where you end up after a year, instead of focusing on a set number. Use the 1 year mark to reflect upon all the great changes you made the previous year and how they have affected your life.

So many things come in to play with weight loss. And the year is full of a lot of temptations LOL!

barbygirl43
04-03-2008, 01:52 PM
I always fail when I set "goal by" dates, as when I start to fall behind schedule, I end up doing crazy unsustainable stuff to try to "catch up" like skipping meals, or lettuce only days...

I'm learning (it's a very hard habit to break) to focus on behaviors (I can directly control) rather than the weight (which is sometimes more complicated).

Me too. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited when I see a loss. (I've lost almost 40 pounds since Jan. 7) But I'm also more excited as I go along and know that I'm continuing to eat healthy and exercise. I too try not to get caught up in the if only I can lose xx pounds by such and such day and just remind myself I'm on a health journey. With that said, I had to say that by me forcing myself to take my focus off losing weight, the weight has come off quicker than in past times.

kaplods
04-03-2008, 02:24 PM
I completely agree. I've not even lost 50 lbs in the last three years, but looking back at those three years, they are unlike any I have experienced in my entire lifetime. There've been a lot of legitimate reasons that my weight loss has been so slow or nonexistant during all this time (and even more lame excuses).

I've been obese since age 5, and only three or four years of the last 37 years were spent completely diet-free. After every significant weight loss, came a greater weight gain. In the few years I didn't diet, my weight was high but stable. In a very real way, I dieted myself to my highest weight. I was terrified to try to lose weight again, because I was sure it would just result in my weight exceeding 400 lbs.

So while it might seem like 48 lbs in three years is a rather pitiful weight loss, it is a breakthrough for me. There have been times when I didn't lose weight, or regained small amounts, but unlike in the past, there was no major backsliding. This is entirely a new world for me. The main difference, is that I stopped seeing weight loss as the only measure of success. Even maintaining my weight is a huge success that I have to acknowledge. Making healthier choices. Not beating myself up when the scale doesn't move. Deciding that changing my eating habits in a positive way was a goal in itself, not just a means to lose weight.

In a lot of ways it's like a story I heard about a woman who always wanted to go to college. A friend told her to go for it. She said, but that's silly, it'll take four years, and I'd be 45 years old before I graduated. Her friend said, "and how old will you be in four years if you don't go."

I wonder how long will it take me to lose all of my weight, and I realize it doesn't really matter. As long as I am losing, or even maintaining, I am ahead of where I would be if I gave up, because if I give up I will regain it all and some extra to boot. I'm a little impatient with myself sometimes, and even angry that I haven't put more effort into getting healthier faster, but in the past I would have even used that as a reason to give up. It's so easy to feel that successes don't count if they're not big or dramatic, but sometimes this journey really can be a case where the tortoise can beat the hare.

knitsforfive
04-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Kaplods,

48 lbs. is about 10% of your body weight. That is a HUGE accomplishment. There are so many weight related issues that can be resolved with a 10% weight loss. Your heart must be thanking you profusely!!

Lyn2007
04-03-2008, 05:06 PM
I see those people on Biggest Loser losing 100 pounds in 9 weeks and it makes me twitch a little. I have lost 45 pounds in 8 months. Good enough for me. I think I am more likely to keep it off if I don't do anything extreme. Of course everyone is different. I figure as long as the numbers keep going down, I will get there eventually.

FresnoBeeDude
04-04-2008, 07:19 AM
After watching 5 seasons of USA The Biggest Loser, and 3 seasons of Australia Biggest Loser, I am learning that there are differences between men and women when it comes to weight loss.

That being said, one year after being diagnosed Type II diabetes, I lost 189lbs. In 2 years, 3 months I have lost a total of 285lbs. I still have another 26lbs to get to my goal (ONEder land). I was averaging a comfortable 20lbs a month, until I hit my first plateau. After 1 year I averaged 1-2lbs a week. From 10/31/07-2/25/08 I had plateaued. That was one nasty streak

Any weight loss is possible, depending on how much work (motivation) you put into it

wannalosealot
04-04-2008, 07:37 AM
when i was 29 ( a few years ago now lol) i did a really dumb thing.. i went on a slim fast diet.. ONLY slim fast.. for 6 months... no food at all except an occaisional orange.. felt like crap, but i did lose 90lbs in that 6 months.. now the downside.. well, another downside.. i have gained that back plus another 60 or so... so, this time i dont care if i only lose 50 lbs in a year.. that is 50lbs gone the SAFE way... and thats what counts:)

scoobie74
04-04-2008, 08:30 AM
I would love to see 100 pounds gone in a year. I know that I can do it if my legs will let me run. I am going to be running this summer. By mid summer I am going to be running 2 miles a day. I dont care if that "run" looks like a fast walk to everyone else, but I want to look like that person that I am in my pictures when I was younger. That is who I am. That is who I am going to be. I have lost well over 50+ pounds in one summer when I first started running. I think that it is do-able.

slimmingsi
04-04-2008, 09:18 AM
in 2002/2003 i lost 96lbs in 9 months. so 100 is very doable. but as was posted before it depends on many things. i was only 21 at the time and weight came off easily. and i didnt feel like death the next day after a hard training session.

SkinnyDogMom
04-04-2008, 10:27 AM
I was wondering about the quick weight loss on the Biggest Loser as well. I googled it and read a bit about it. They are working out 3 hours a day, strenuously, with trainers. They are doing nothing but working on weight loss and cardio and strength training. No one is leaving going to work, cooking for kids, etc. I also read that some of them after leaving the show gained much of the weight back once they were in the real world.
Don't be deceived by this show. It is TV. It is entertainment.
I would love to lose 100 pounds in a year, but my goal is 1 pound a week, so that would be 52 pounds. I also am much more interested in eating healthy and exercising consistently.
Karla

joylove26
04-04-2008, 12:16 PM
That's my goal. I won't be too upset if I don't totally hit 100 as long as I am close. That would put me only 17 away from my ultimate goal. I'll be happy though as long as I continue to lose something.

Robin41
04-04-2008, 12:57 PM
100 pounds in a year is absolutely doable. That really isn't even the question. The question is what are you willing to do EVERY day to make it happen?

findingfawn
04-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Whoa Robin.. your loss is amazing!!! What is your secrets? I know nothing to losing is really a secret, it's more of a math and a science and a commitment.. but your loss is so huge.. how have you done it?

purpleorc
04-05-2008, 07:48 AM
I have recently just hit the 100lbs lost in one year. Though at the beginning of my weight loss journey I did not set goals and still don't. The only thing I try to achieve is healthy eating for life. For me setting weight loss goals would have been a recipe for disaster. I look upon any weight loss how every much much be better for our bodies in the long term if done correctly with healthy eating.

KarenGinNJ
04-05-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm on a mission to lose 100 this year. I think it's doable, but it really depends on so many things.

If I see Dec 31 and the scale shows only 85 lbs gone ...do you think I would be upset about it?? I would be rejoicing! it's 85 lbs. gone! Whooo Hoooo.....

Have fun on your journey!
Ginger

I totally agree! My short term goals are 10 pounds per month - not unrealistic, really. And that would be 120 pounds without any missteps.

It really doesn't matter - as long as it comes off, and it WILL ;) I'll be one happy camper!

Karen
:sunny:

SeaWave
04-05-2008, 03:46 PM
I've not set any specific date-related goal, but my aim is to lose 115 lbs total. Robin, I love what you wrote : "The question is what are you willing to do EVERY day to make it happen?" It's encouraging to hear (well, read) of your kind of Success! :cp: It is a consciousness I'm trying to develop, to be aware of my daily decisions and how they lead to my success or failure. Daunting, but empowering taken the right way.

krosmon
04-06-2008, 11:48 AM
I did it once - lost 110 lbs in 9 months, but kept it off about an hour and a half, then gained 130 lbs back the following 9 months.

I agree with several people on this post that it is more important to lose a little and then maintain that for however long it takes until you drop a few more pounds.

At my age, there is no way I will be able to lose 100 lbs that fast. I am just grateful to drop a pound or so whenever it happens. My body already feels the difference - pains in my back and ability to walk - with just the 3 or 4 pounds I have lost already. I am starting to gauge my loss with the reawakening mobility of my body. One step at a time.

If someone can lose the weight that fast and keep it off, more power to you. The main thing is just to stay healthy and be able to move.

Take care.

bluex
04-06-2008, 12:33 PM
It took me about 2 years. I never had a time frame in mind. I was so happy it all happened so fast really. I thought it would take me years and years to get it off like it took me to put it on. So, it can happen fast, sure but it can also happen slower, either way, each year you'll be lighter.