South Beach Diet - Peanut butter

View Full Version : Peanut butter

cathbro
04-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Why is regular peanut butter so bad? This is regular Jif,

http://www.jif.com/products/details.asp?prodID=325

This is smuckers natural,

http://www.smuckers.com/fg/peanutbutter/default2.asp?groupid=2&catid=11&prodid=107

I HATE the smuckers natural.:mad:l I will never eat peanut butter again if I have to eat that. In the big picture regular old peanut butter does not seem that bad to me. What am I missing here? Compared to the garbage I used to eat a tsp of jif does not seem so bad. Someone convince me why I should not eat Jif.:D

Schmoodle
04-02-2008, 02:50 PM
The Jif has added sugar. The Smuckers natural is just made from peanuts. You don't like the natural because you are used to the sweetness. I used to feel the same way, but I have gotten used to the natural peanut butter. Also there are different brands and if you check around you might find one you like better than Smuckers. Or you could stir some Splenda in. Or not eat peanut butter, just have the nuts.

Right Azure, the added fats are bad too.

Azure
04-02-2008, 03:01 PM
I would suggest trying to switch to Natural (I actually like the Smuckers brand). I didn't used to like it, either...but I read the ingredients and there are hydrogenated oils, sugar and molasses in Jif and I wanted to get all of the hydrogenated junk and sugar OUT of my diet entirely. When I was home from college and had a spoon of Jif (my former FAVORITE), it was almost tasteless compared to the Natural that I've become used to. You'll get used to Natural if you give it a chance, I think.

murphmitch
04-02-2008, 03:05 PM
I agree. I enjoy the taste of real peanuts in my mouth.

movielover
04-02-2008, 03:28 PM
I kinda feel the same way you do cathbro...compared to what I used to eat sometimes you have to pick your battles. However, based on the SBD I think natural PB is a better choice.

Personally, I pick my battles and use the SBD as a guideline for me.

Safeway's organic natural is good! :)

cathbro
04-02-2008, 03:43 PM
I guess I will try some other brands and see what I think. Adding Splenda is a great idea. It really is the sweetness I miss when I tried Smuckers I was in shock because I thought it would have a little sweetness to it. I will just end up eating nuts if I can't find anything.

SkinnyDogMom
04-02-2008, 03:58 PM
There is a recipe online for whipped peanut butter. It takes natural pb and adds water and artificial sweetner of choice to make a lower cal/lower everything pb. I haven't tried it yet, but there was a regular pb maker (maybe skippy or peter pan) that made a whipped pb that this is a "copycat" recipe. I saw talk of it in one of the other forums here...I think it was WW. I'll see if I can re-find the recipe.
I like nat'l pb, I also like the smart balance pb and have just been able to find skippy brand natural pb that doesn't have to be refrigerated and is creamier.
Karla

tomandkara
04-02-2008, 04:15 PM
This might sound like a dumb question, but did you stir up the natural peanut butter? If you microwave it (without the metal top on, obviously) for 30-60 seconds, you can stir it easier. Then, keep it in the fridge and you won't have to stir it up any more.

I love the natural peanut butter! The Shop Rite brand around here comes out creamier than the Smucker's brand.

Kara

SkinnyDogMom
04-02-2008, 04:21 PM
My mom returned a jar of Nat'l PB the first time they tried to buy some. She thought it had gone bad because of the oil on top. She didn't think to read the label.
I usually pour off about half of the oil and then stir it up and keep it in the fridge. But this Skippy nat'l that I found at the commissary doesn't require refrigeration and is creamier. Still has that rich nat'l pb taste. Yummo!

SkinnyDogMom
04-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Ok--here is a "copycat" recipe for Peter Pan whipped PB from Dottie's weigh loss web site. I have not tried this yet, but others stated it was yummy:

Homemade Whipped Peanut Butter

26 oz. jar Laura Scudder's old fashioned peanut butter (you know, just peanuts and salt)
3 Tbsp. nonfat dry milk (probably totally unnecessary)
3-4 Tbsp. brown sugar---FOR SBD, I would substitute splenda, agave nectar or your artificial sweetner of choice.
1 1/2 cups ice cold water--(I read somewhere to use distilled water, boil the water and let it cool, then it is distilled. This is supposed to give it a longer shelf life.) This DOES need to be stored in the fridge.

I mixed this with my heavy duty mixer, would work with food processor or even blender. Beat it until everything is incorporated. (Even though it's called "whipped" you don't whip it like cream, you're just blending in all the water until smooth). Viola! That's it!!!!
---------------------------------------
The original PB was 46 tablespoons at 100cal/8 ft/ 1 fiber per Tbsp. That's 2.5 points.

This made 80 tablespoons (5 cups) at 60cal/4.6 ft/.5 fiber per Tbsp. That's 1.5 points.---THE nutritionals would be different if using an artificial sweetner.

You could add more water because this still tasted like peanut butter.

xGurlyGrlx
04-02-2008, 04:50 PM
I am not a big fan of Smucker's either. Costco has a good organic natural creamy peanut butter. I also like Trader Joe's. It has a more sweet flavor...but no sugar...I checked. ;) I like those two because you don't have to mix in oil. When I get the kind with the oil on the top, I put it on the counter or in the fridge upside down so the oil gets to the bottom and is MUCH easier to mix in.

murphmitch
04-02-2008, 05:05 PM
My mom returned a jar of Nat'l PB the first time they tried to buy some. She thought it had gone bad because of the oil on top. She didn't think to read the label.
I usually pour off about half of the oil and then stir it up and keep it in the fridge. But this Skippy nat'l that I found at the commissary doesn't require refrigeration and is creamier. Still has that rich nat'l pb taste. Yummo!

Skippy natural PB contains sugar if you read the label. It also contains palm oil. I think that is why it is creamier than natural peanut butter which contains peanuts and salt.

SkinnyDogMom
04-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks Anne, I forgot that it was a bit off plan. Wouldn't want someone else to try it thinking it was ok.
Some things I choose to stray a bit from the hardcore plan. I am going to try to make a whipped pb from the recipe with the smuckers nat'l and see if I can achieve the creamier texture I like.

femmecreole
04-02-2008, 06:40 PM
I thought the natural stuff was really gross the first time I tried it. ick yuk. Then I got used to it and I just love it. I think if I tried the regular kind now, I'd gag. A couple of months ago I tried the Smart Balance Chunky kind and I like it better than the Smuckers...you don't have to put it in the fridge. I does have molasass in it , but with only one sugar g, I'm ok with it.

StacyLynn225
04-03-2008, 11:59 AM
I am not a big fan of peanut butter...but! Yesterday I was reading this about the whipped peanut butter and I thought...eh, i'll try it. I make it last night with just 16oz Smuckers Natural, 1 cup of water and 3ish tsp of sweetener. :drool: It was amazing!

Thanks to whoever started the PB thread for my new favorite treat! ;)

tdiprincess
04-03-2008, 01:13 PM
yes, thank you also for the whipped PB recipe. I think I'll try it once I get some natuarl PB...Thank you!

beachgal
04-03-2008, 01:28 PM
I grew up on natural PB, so I didn't have any trouble going back. I try to understand how you all feel when you try the natural for the first time. But I have to say that if you wait until you're in Phase 2 before trying the natural (and you make sure that you stir it up first--Kara's right about the microwave trick!), you'll probably find that it has a lot more natural sweetness than you thought when your taste buds were still used to the intense sweetness of everything with tons of sugar.

Here's the thing, Cathbro. Even if you're okay with getting a little sugar in your PB, how do you feel about putting High-Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) in your body? It's not easy for your body to process. If you have to have PB with sugar, why not pick a brand (probably in the organic section?) that has regular sugar or molasses or such?

Even more importantly--think about the fat! Peanut Butter (the natural kind) has so much fat in it that it was reclassified from a "protein" to a "fat" for the food pyramid. Natural PB has GOOD fats, so as long as you stick to a serving, you'll only be getting a couple hundred calories. But Jiff/Skippy/et. al. have added fat in the form of trans fat, which is deadly. Literally. I'll have to re-bump the discussion back up, but a couple weeks ago, we were having a talk here about trans fats and someone mentioned that she'd read that every little bit of trans fats you put in your body affects your heart like a grain of sand would affect a fine watch. It's little, but it has a huge effect. That's helped keep me on the straight and narrow when it comes to trans fats. Other than the small amount that occurs naturally in plants and meat, I have totally banned them from my diet. I sometimes play "fast and loose" with saturated fats :o but I just won't eat trans fats. :no:

Here are the ingredients for the Skippy Natural--it's another example of the "read the label" issue. Just because the label calls it something (like natural) doesn't mean it is (I understand that you knew this already, SkinnyDogMom. :) ).

Roasted Peanuts , Sugar , Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil to Prevent Separation , Cottonseed Oil to Prevent Separation , Soybean Oil to Prevent Separation , Rapeseed Oil to Prevent Separation , Salt

The "Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil" is pure trans-fats and it's the third ingredient! That would scare the dickens out of me. :yikes: I don't want to make this about the Skippy (and I have tons of respect for SkinnyDogMom, who's done a great job--she knows what she's doing for her own body--I just don't want anyone to make the choice to try the Skippy without knowing all the facts), but rather about the fact that, IMHO, the worst thing about regular PB isn't the sugar. It's the trans-fats! :p

I find that stirring the PB is much easier with a small jar so even though the bigger jars are cheaper, we get the smallest ones. We've found that they are really cheap at our local Wal*Mart. If you want, you can even buy a PB stirrer (http://onlinestore.smucker.com/display_product.cfm?prod_id=385&cat_id=40&aid=WADW07020) at the Smucker's site!

If you're looking for sweetness in a natural PB, try Adams (http://www.adamspeanutbutter.com/products_detail.aspx?prodID=632). I don't like it myself because I find it's very sweet. It's made from a different kind of peanut (can't remember what) which is why it's sweeter. It's also a bit stickier than Smucker's (which is "Laura Scudder's" brand west of the Rockies).

I love ingenuity--good going on finding recipes for making peanut butter the way you like it, SkinnyDogMom and StacyLynn! :D

beachgal
04-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Okay, here's (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133008&) the thread with the trans fat discussion.

The one that I quoted (about the grains of sand) is here (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2067366&postcount=40). It was ADAGIRL who posted it. :D

KO
04-03-2008, 02:54 PM
If you ahve an A&P MAsters Choice is my favorite! natural Also I ahve a organic natural in my fridge no oil (i'll check the brand) its a bit solid but 30 seconds in the micro will fixi that
Try mixing in a little cinamon!!

cathbro
04-03-2008, 03:02 PM
I looked on the back of Jif and it says trans fats 0% Why are they not forced to list it? This is the first time in my life I have read labels and I am lost.

tdiprincess
04-03-2008, 03:10 PM
that's very interesting. Thank you for pointing all that out. When I go to get the natural stuff, I'll keep my eye out for it! Trans fat isn't created naturally. Its a man made thing. its sooo bad for people...

beachgal
04-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi, all! If you follow the link above for the discussion on trans fats (buried in a discussion on whether coffee creamers are okay), you'll find tons of info on them. Here's the reason why something can say, "0% Trans Fats" and still be chock-full o' them:

Here's the thing with trans fats. I know this'll make sense if you think about it--when they required companies to put trans fats on the label, some of them did change how they made their food so trans fats weren't present any more. But many didn't. All they did was adjust the portion size (or reduce the partially hydrogenated oils) just enough that it was under 1g. If it's under that, the FDA says that they can list it as 0g. So it can have 0.9g, and still be listed as 0. With things like creamer, Cool Whip, etc., you use such a small amount to begin with that they don't need to even reduce what they were using to list it as 0.

That means that even though it's a good thing to check the label for trans fats, what you really need to look at is the ingredients list. Search for the word "hydrogenated." If you find it, and it's near the beginning of the list, it's full o' trans fats. The ingredients are listed in order of weight, from highest weight to lowest. So, in general, the ingredients at the beginning of the list are the ones that there are the most of. Hope this helps explain it.

tdiprincess, while you're totally right that the problems we have with trans fats are a result of man-made ingredients (i.e. oxygenating oils so they are solid at room temperature and have a longer shelf life), there are some naturally occuring trans fats. They are minimal and if they're the only ones you get in your diet, it's unlikely to lead to serious illness or death. In the second article I linked to in the Coffee Creamer discussion, there's this quote:

Then Aron and Jacobson tell me that negligible amounts of trans fats occur naturally in meat and milk.

Note, they're negligible (i.e. hardly worth mentioning), but it's good information to know. :)

Cathbro, learning to read labels can be a little tricky, but with time and practice, you'll be a pro! :D Here are some websites with info to help you learn more:

Easy to read, concise information on reading labels (http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/FOOD_IS_ART_II/health/nutrition_labels/labels_intro.html)from InMamasKitchen.com.

The FDA's guide to reading labels. (http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/foodlab.html)

This info (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/likness30.htm) is really good, but keep in mind that it's from Bodybuilding.com, so you'll want to follow the SBD guidelines and your own knowledge as far as what foods are good for you.

Information on reading labels from Healthy Eating Advisor (http://www.healthyeatingadvisor.com/food-labels.html)

I couldn't watch this at work, so am not sure how good it is, but here's a link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd9XnyNGXGs)to a YouTube video about reading labels.

Hope that helps! :D

tdiprincess
04-03-2008, 04:18 PM
I forgot about that. I remember learning that in my Anat. and Phys. class in college....thanks for reminding me :)

Rayelle
04-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Peanut butter is a main staple in our house. We have started going to Whole Foods to get the 'ground yourself' peanut butter. It is really good (a little more expensive) but you can deffinitly tell the difference. They also have honey nut butter, almond butter, cashew butter. All kinds, they rotate them around but they always just regular peanut butter. Hope this helps~

cathbro
04-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi, all! If you follow the link above for the discussion on trans fats (buried in a discussion on whether coffee creamers are okay), you'll find tons of info on them. Here's the reason why something can say, "0% Trans Fats" and still be chock-full o' them:

tdiprincess, while you're totally right that the problems we have with trans fats are a result of man-made ingredients (i.e. oxygenating oils so they are solid at room temperature and have a longer shelf life), there are some naturally occuring trans fats. They are minimal and if they're the only ones you get in your diet, it's unlikely to lead to serious illness or death. In the second article I linked to in the Coffee Creamer discussion, there's this quote:

Note, they're negligible (i.e. hardly worth mentioning), but it's good information to know. :)

Cathbro, learning to read labels can be a little tricky, but with time and practice, you'll be a pro! :D Here are some websites with info to help you learn more:

Easy to read, concise information on reading labels (http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/FOOD_IS_ART_II/health/nutrition_labels/labels_intro.html)from InMamasKitchen.com.

The FDA's guide to reading labels. (http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/foodlab.html)

This info (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/likness30.htm) is really good, but keep in mind that it's from Bodybuilding.com, so you'll want to follow the SBD guidelines and your own knowledge as far as what foods are good for you.

Information on reading labels from Healthy Eating Advisor (http://www.healthyeatingadvisor.com/food-labels.html)

I couldn't watch this at work, so am not sure how good it is, but here's a link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd9XnyNGXGs)to a YouTube video about reading labels.

Hope that helps! :D

Thank you for all the great info!:)

zeffryn
04-06-2008, 11:42 AM
If you can find the "grind your own" peanut (and other nut) butter stands, do that. It tastes so much more rich than smuckers. My family prefers almond or cashew butter over peanut butter.

Here is a tip, if you store natural peanut butter upside down, the oil will integrate with the solid peanut butter and make it easier to spread.

Also, most shelf stable peanut butters (Jif, skippy, etc.) contain HFCS. A big no-no if you want to be healthy. If you like sweeter peanut-butter, blend natural peanut butter with splenda (honey would be preferable, but also a no-no on SB) Splenda is much better than cheap, bad-for-mammals, HFCS.

Edit: I guess I should have read the thread better....most everything I said has already been mentioned. whoops!