Old 04-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/185.5/140

Height: 5'7

Default am I eating the right amount?!

hiya! i've been a member of this site for a while but its the first time i came to the calorie counting bit (decided this is the easiest way for me to lose weight!)
problem is - i'm not sure how many calories to eat in a day! I think i've been eating about 1000-1200 (not sure bout the calories in things) but i'm not sure if thats right for my age/weight/height (i'm 21, 200lbs, 5'6'') i'm managing to not feel too hungry... untill the evening (but options hot choco is deffo helping there! mm)

heres what i ate today would you please tell me if you think its ok?

breakie - grapes on the way to college (50?)
lunch - tortilla wrap with salad, morrocan salsa and chicken (350)
snack - fat free jelly (7cal) strawberries (50cal)
dinner - frozen meal - chicken, wedges and cajun sauce (320)
snacks - Options hot choco (40)
supper - 2 slice weight watchers toast, extra light flora (100)
drinks - bottle of extra light oasis (11cal)
weemissnaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:16 PM   #2  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

It doesn't sound like you're getting enough calories to me. If you don't eat enough, your body will go into starvation mode and will not be able to lose weight. If you start eating more calories, you will probably lose weight a lot faster and healthier.
Check out this website:
http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
I put in your info and it recommended 1600 minimum per day. After you put in your info and click "calculate", click on "7 day calorie cycle" and it will give you an example of how to zig zag your calories to keep your metabolism up. Lots of good info to read there, too.
Hope this helps!
Beth
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #3  

Hiya weemissnaughty,iv just come back here after attampting a diet this time last year but what with moving house and xmas etc(you know what its like,excuses,excuses) anyway come onto this site as going to start again,Im 5"6" and am same wieght as you,im calorie counting and having 800 cals a day but that may be to low,I joined a diet site and put in all my details and thats what it came up with and gives you a time scale of achieving the loss at 2 lb a week,June 18th for me,just wanted to say good luck and I will look out for you on this journey and hopefully we can both be what we want to be very soon and have a sucess story.
flowerfairy2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #4  

Im having trouble getting rid of last years sig as thatss old and need a new one,got as far as copy and paste now Im stuck so please ignore my bit at bottom of post
Old 04-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #5  

sorry ,Im hijacking your thread,Iv fixed it now,updated my tracker.Forgot to add my trouble times are evenings to and chocolate,I went out and bought 30 creme eggs yesterday at 10p each,I know I cant eat them but just didnt want anyone else eating them either at that price.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #6  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Both of you girls need to EAT! That's not even enough cals to get you through lying on your backside all day, much less to burn fat with. 1600 to 1800 would be more like it, put in some cardio type exercise, drink your water, eat good food and watch your sodium intake.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

The usual advice from the medical community is that you shouldn't go below 1200 calories/day. That's for a lot of reasons -- nutrition, sustainability, etc.

If you weigh more, you probably shouldn't even flirt with that number -- when we weigh more we need more calories for EVERYTHING we do.

Take a look at this post for further thoughts about calories!

Last edited by Heather; 04-01-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:36 AM   #8  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

Last time I started losing weight, I had the problem of not eating enough. As soon as I went from 1200 to 1600 calories a day, it went much faster, and I had more energy. My body wasn't afraid I would starve, so it didn't have to hold on to everything I put in it.
just keep swimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:58 AM   #9  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

At the absolute BEAR minimum you need to be eating 1200 calories per day. Depending on your activity level, I would probably up it between 1400 and 1600. I'm 20, 5'7" and 190ish and I"m averaging about 1500 calories/day.

Eating less than 1200 can slow down your metabolism and inhibit weight loss. I had my calories at 1200 and lost very little and as soon as I upped them I started to see notable drops in my weight. And EAT BREAKFAST! Grapes aren't breakfast. Cereal, toast and peanut butter - whatever! Take it with you on the way to class. Just get something substantial in there. That alone will make a big difference in your daily caloric intake.
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:33 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 206/185.5/140

Height: 5'7

hey - yeh i did the same thing and was told to eat 800-1000 a day and it hot that was a lil low so i was eating a bit more!!!! i'll try and eat even more though:
so far 2day i ate a special k bar on the way out the door - had some grapes when i got to college and i got a sandwich with turkey and a yoghurt - so i think i'll have eaten about 550cal during the day 2day then make some dinner and a hot choco (options mint mmmm) when i get home =o)
weemissnaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #11  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

For me, the 'don't eat below 1200 calories per day' somehow always implied that you weren't suppose to eat over 1200 calories per day either. WRONGO!! Up your cals (the freedieting website is great for getting a guideline of how many cals to eat per day) and increase and vary your exercise. It really does work.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote