South Beach Diet - South Beach Living Meal bars

View Full Version : South Beach Living Meal bars

uscarchie
04-01-2008, 02:00 PM
A long while back I bought these protein bars to keep in my car in case I had to go to a meeting and missed lunch, or was starving and needed a non-candy snack. I saw on the package that they were P2 only, but that was before I knew anything about SBD, I just wanted high protein, low cal, low fat.

So now I'm in P2, and I just snacked on 1/2 of one of these bars, and my stomach isn't feeling good. I'm wondering if it's really acceptable? How often am I allowed to eat one? Or if I should just throw these out and not eat them at all? (Or pass them off to someone who can eat them? They don't taste great, but they're not the worst protein bar I've ever had.

GONNABE165
04-01-2008, 02:13 PM
I personaly don't eat them as none of them have a taste that I like. They are not really recommended unless of course that was all you had to eat. The key is to stay away from packaged foods like that. I am pretty sure the other gals would agree with that as well as have some more insight

ladybugnessa
04-01-2008, 02:17 PM
i have had a meal replacement bar exactly ONCE in two years. i was in the middle of nowhere and it was the best choice I had.....

i never use them.

murphmitch
04-01-2008, 08:20 PM
I used to eat them on weight watchers and count the points. Guess what? I couldn't lose anymore on weight watchers. I think I was eating too many overly processed foods, this included, and my body was telling me something. I would only eat them if there was nothing else to eat, which doesn't happen when I plan ahead.

SkinnyDogMom
04-01-2008, 10:20 PM
We used to eat the meal replacement bars. I think they were 200+ calories each.
Now we use the SBD cereal bars mostly as a "grab and go" snack and occasionally as breakfast. They are ok. They don't seem to cause DH or I to crave carbs or more food. The mixed berry is my favorite. One of the girls at work enjoys the cinnamon raisin flavor. The cereal bars range from 100 calories-140 calories each.
I much prefer having "real" food, but sometimes pre-packaged foods are helpful.

beachgal
04-02-2008, 10:57 AM
I have the SBD bars and sometimes use them, but they have malitol in them, which can cause me to crave, so I've cut back on them lately.

They have sugar alcohols in them, so they can cause gastric upset--different amounts bother different people, so perhaps that was the cause of your stomach upset, uscarchie? Did you have problems with them before?

As many of the Beachies have mentioned, the real point of SBD is to get away from processed foods. The Kraft SBD foods, mostly, aren't aligned very well with the diet--I think that's part of the reason they changed the name from "South Beach Diet" to "South Beach Living." Supposedly Dr. A has said that he hopes people who can't commit to the entire diet will at least make healthier choices by using the Kraft foods. I know my local nutrition clinic recommends the SBD bars as the healthiest protein bars out there.