Weight and Resistance Training - Lift and Chat: April 1 - 15, 2008

View Full Version : Lift and Chat: April 1 - 15, 2008

Mel
04-01-2008, 07:22 AM
:coffee: Happy April :sunny: haha, it's pouring!

So what was the best April Fool's prank you ever pulled?

Back later,

Mel

Lifeguard
04-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Wow - I can't believe it is April!!! Time just goes by so quickly sometimes.

Today I have my first yoga class. After my morning walk with the dog I am heading to the gym.

In other news - I found a brand of cottage cheese here that is actually cottage cheese!! I am SOOOO excited. Before I moved here cottage cheese was one of my diet staples & since I've been here I've been unable to find any cottage cheese that isn't dry & crumbly - ick!

fiberlover
04-01-2008, 12:19 PM
May I join the lift and chat? :)
I do bowflex, so it's a bit different than the NROLFW.

I have never pulled a prank (how lame am I??) - but I heard on tv this morning that one guy proposed to his GF on April's fools day as a prank. Bet he is single now! :eek:

jamsk8r
04-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Ew, that is cruel, and he's probably lucky to be alive!

I'm feeling a bit more energetic yesterday and today, so am hoping that today's workout doesn't bring on the fatigue that's been making my other workouts torture.

It's been hard, emotionally, to deal with the whole scale stall-out. It's been my only real sign of success in this journey so far, and it's hard to see "exhausted and bloated" as a benefit of weight training, lol. I'm toughing it out, though, honest!

WaterRat
04-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Morning ladies! :)

I got home Sunday night after an exhausting week, which included a rerouted flight originally from Minneapolis (where I was for a conference) to Boston through Milwaukee. Ended up going Minneapolis, LAS VEGAS, Boston - ick...... But I made it to my FIL's funeral on time, it was literally the only way. Anyway, we leave tonight to go to Montana til Sat, then Sunday to the Grand Canyon for a week of hiking. I feel like I've done nothing but sit on airplanes for the last week. I'm off to the gym as soon as I finish this, then home to finish packing. See you in 2 weeks! If not, please tell them to look in the bottom of the canyon. :rofl:

baffled111
04-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Morning everyone!

Welcome home Pat. You've survived the less pleasant trip and now I'm certain you are going to have a great time hiking and playing. Have fun!

Welcome Lori! No one is obliged to do NROLW--some don't and some do.

Lifeguard, I hope you enjoy the yoga. I've been going and keeping quiet about it. :) I'm still on the fence but I can see why people like it.

I just got back from the gym where I did 4B2. Damn prone cuban snatches! I did my deadlifts (3x8) with 45lb plates today which puts me very, very close to deadlifting my bodyweight! I'm going slowly with them as a consequence of my dl injury a few weeks back, but I am certain that I will be able to do 145 next week. Yay.

Happy workouts ladies!

midwife
04-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi guys,

I just wanted to post that I think I am done with this weightlifting thing. It's too hard, plus I don't want to get all huge. I mean, that is not very attractive and I know I will just bulk up. The diet restrictions are not good either. What's wrong with carbs anyway? Food is actually very important to me. I'm tired of making these choices. I would rather have chile cheese fries everyday and I am going to make a conscious decision to eat what I want when I want it. Life is too short to spend in a gym and not eating gooey cheesy goodness. So thanks for all your help and advice, but I've really had quite enough. The soreness is cramping my style.

April Fools!!!

If anyone fell for that, then that is the best April Fool's joke I've ever done!! Have a good one!

Lydia227
04-01-2008, 04:37 PM
I wasn't buying for a second Midwife. :s:

Drive by post. DS2 is playing busdriver (has all the kitchen chairs lined up single file) and is threatening to leave me behind. :D

Lifeguard
04-01-2008, 05:06 PM
That's too bad midwife. And I just have to say - as a woman - you won't bulk up without a LOT of work. Good luck!

I missed the yoga class 'cause I'm apparently a bit dope & I didn't know there was this little room in the corner & couldn't figure out where to go. I didnt' find it until 15 minutes in & by then I was too embarassed to go in. I'll try again Thursday.

Meg
04-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Midwife, you've convinced me. I read your post, took a long, hard look at my pathetic life and hit the drive-through. Burp. :preg: Thank you for opening my eyes to the error of my ways!

... but what am I going to do with this closet full of size 4 clothes that I won't be able to wear? :chin:

:lol3:

nelie
04-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Maybe I should call my mom and tell her I'm pregnant? She'd kill me.

Lately, I've been having the bagel crisis, yet again. I see bagels, I like bagels, I want to buy a bagel. I told myself I can have bagels if I want after I get back from my trip to visit my family.

Today, I'm going to do the specials workouts for phase 1. I may also do some kettlebells :) We'll see.

baffled111
04-01-2008, 05:23 PM
LOL, you did have me for a second midwife, but it was so unlike you that I was more perplexed than anything! :dizzy:

Lifeguard, nevermind. Next time!

jamsk8r
04-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Midwife, that was a good one! You ladies are all troublemakers! :D

I'll be doing workout 1A4 today, with a little less weight, because I did something stupid to my left shoulder during my last workout, and I'm going to experiment with taking 2 off days between workouts, at least for a while. I just don't think I'm getting enough recovery time, or it just may be that the weights were too heavy on the UB exercises. I'll try and just have to find my own way, I think, and might go back to every other day later, if my recovery ability improves.

nelie
04-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Cheryl,

The first few weeks workouts for me were really bad in that I was sore sore sore. It will improve :)

fiberlover
04-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Nelie - bagels are my second love, after DH :). I do have them twice a week, I fit those into my plan. We just go out and have them, so that I don't have a bunch sitting around at home.

Mel
04-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Midwife! You had me fooled except your tone was so abrupt I couldn't believe it was you. :lol3:

Meg- send your clothes to me! You have an awesome wardrobe. Quit lifting and cardio. After all, everyone has an alloted number of heartbeats for life and you wouldn't want to use them all up this month!

I've pulled some really rotten pranks. Nothing today so far.

Mel

sportmom
04-01-2008, 07:23 PM
She had me at the bulking up part. I was like, oh man, she joined the forum after our recent flurry of bulking up lectures, we'll have to get right on to her. At the cheesy gooey food - I knew it had to be a trick!! EEEEVil!

nelie
04-01-2008, 08:02 PM
My thighs seem to be getting bigger, I blame weights. My stomach also seems to be getting bigger, must be those damn crunches.

midwife
04-01-2008, 08:37 PM
:joker::joker::joker::rofl::rofl:

(Love the burp, Meg!!)

Don't worry, Lifeguard! I'm happy to build as much muscle as I can within the limits of my lack of testosterone. :cool:

Happy April all!!!

kaw
04-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Morning, LWL. Yesterday was a tough day, work wise, and i didn't have a spare second between 4:30 am and 9:30 pm. (Well, I guess I did go to the bathroom by myself once or twice in there. :)) Today's another day, though, and it's blissfully free of meetings so far! I'm definitely getting to the gym before my scheduler can find me.

I'm heading to NYC on work tomorrow afternoon. I knew that my employer would find a decent hotel, but I was excited to learn that I'll be staying at the Affinia Dumont, which bills itself as a fitness hotel. A quick perusal of the website (http://www.affinia.com/New-York-City-Hotel.aspx?name=Affinia-Dumont&cid=Affinia%20Dumont&kw=affinia%20dumont) suggests that this mostly means "spa," but surely they'll have a decent weight room, no? Any of you ever stayed there?

Off to wake The Boy.

be strong,
Kim

sportmom
04-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Nope, never heard of it kim. Looks like in the photo gallery they have 3 pix of the fitness center. It has a rack, free weights, and cardio, so you should be set. It would be awesome to get a fitness suite, bc that looks like it's a 2 room unit, one with a bedroom and the other room is a mini gym!

fiberlover
04-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Good day everyone! I have my full body workout today. I was pleased that I lost 0.8 pounds this week. I was thinking I would show a stall on the scale since I started the serious bowflex workouts on the 19th of March. I have lost 2 weeks in a row, which kind of surprised me - but I'll take it!

Kim - that looks like a really nice hotel! Wish my own fitness center looked even close to that LOL.

nelie
04-02-2008, 09:21 PM
My body fat analyzer arrived today... uhh yeah. I actually haven't had my body fat measured in a while but I know that the electrical impedance machines from the feet always measure me higher than the ones that are hand held (actually one reason I was a little hesitant about buying a hand held one). Anyway since this one is both hands and feet, I figured it'd probably be pretty good. Um yeah the number it gives is not good.

Although my goal is really to use it to measure the changes in BF rather than get a number I'd be happy with...

It attempts to measure other things like visceral fat and it says I'm in a good range for that. It also tries to measure skeletal muscle which is interesting and I wonder how accurate that happens to be. Especially if that number goes up.

Oh and it was motivational. I did a kick butt kettlebell workout after using the stupid thing :)

srmb60
04-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Dh and I joined the gym today. We go for our orientation either Fri or Mon ... I can't remember. I'm pretty excited!!!

baffled111
04-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Susan, that's great!

Nelie, that's bad! Boooooo body fat analyzer! (You already know that it's about the 'trend' and that the numbers themselves don't mean much, so I won't mention it. :) )

Today was my run-with-dog day but I overslept and took her for a quick walk instead. Ah well. I really, really, really wish I had a treadmill at home on which to bust out some quick intervals. But alas.

Lifeguard
04-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Yeah - so I'm feeling a little foolish. Did I mention I'm gullible?!

Today I went to the gym & had a decent workout. I have found that if I give myself longer breaks between sets it helps keep the nausea at bay.

I'm looking forward to my first (again) yoga class tomorrow.

Mel
04-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Morning :wave:
Nelie- As you said, measure the trend. At least you found it motivational and did a great workout :)

LG- don't feel bad- she had me for a while too :lol:

SusanB- Welcome back to LWL or whatever we are now! Tell us about your gym! Does dh work out with you?

Baf- check craigslist if you have the space. The resolutioners may be getting rid of them about now. I love having cardio equipment in my own house. It's the only way I could do it now.

I did HARD treadmill intervals yesterday, then a sholder workout at lunch. I was keeling over at my desk by 4pm and asleep by 9:30 at home despite ongoing school drama with ds. This morning's elliptical session seemed LONG, but I got up an extra half hour early so I can start picking ds up at schoo in the middle of the afternoon, then go back to work :dizzy:

Food good- but the scale is soooooo sloooow.

Mel

fiberlover
04-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Nelie - that's cool about the body fat analyzer at home. I do the calculator sites that use several measurements, but I don't know how truly accurate those are.

Susan - congrats on the gym membership! I keep thinking about joining one, but the cheapskate in me doesn't want to drive there every day! LOL

Mel - how do you do intervals on the treadmill? I tried some at my parent's house over the weekend, and couldn't figure out how to speed and slow down the treadmill without actually hopping off of it.

jamsk8r
04-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Nelie, at least it will motivate your workouts, lol!

LG, when you hang the mobile over the baby's crib, make sure to use strong chains, so the dumbbells don't fall on the baby. ;) Good luck with the yoga!

Susan, welcome back, and good luck with the new gym! I confess that one of my main motivators for wanting to join a gym is to actually be able to get a hot shower after my workout. Seems like 3 or 4 times a week, I'm waiting around in my sweaty clothes, waiting for the hot water tank to recover either from laundry, washing dishes, or my ds deciding to take a "swim" in the tub. I guess the whole "workout equipment" thing will be a bonus, too. :D

Lori, congrats on the weightloss! I finally got a whole pound out of the scale this week, after being stalled out at 208 for the last 2 weeks. We'll take what we can get, right?

I'd planned to start giving myself 2 days between workouts this week, but since Tuesday, I've been feeling much more my normal self, and not exhausted, so I think I'll keep on with the 3 days a week schedule and see if that will work for me. My other workouts had been suffering, but if I can get my previous umph back with the jogging and skating, then I'll know I'm okay to keep on with 3 days a week on the lifting. Hopefully it was all just a newb adjustment period, as you all tried to tell me!

Lifeguard
04-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Cheryl - lmao - what an idea!!!

I just returned from my first yoga class (ok, it's not my very first but it's been many years since the last time I did any). Wow - it was much harder than I anticipated. I sweat almost as much as I do during my weight workouts! I can see how if I keep up with it it will help with my squatting & what not though - wow am I ever tight through my hips & ankles!

The instructor said I had a good sense of my body & seemed impressed with what I was able to do - lol!

baffled111
04-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi all,

I had a moderately good workout this morning. The thrusters just about killed me--I was practically weeping by the end of the last set. I can already feel it in my back. Actually, that sounds wrong. I shouldn't be feeling them in my back...maybe that is the 1pt rows. At any rate, I feel like a woman who has exercised and should be able to enjoy her lunch. :)

Mel, I totally have space for a treadmill and will have even more space when bf moves to NY at the end of the summer. I'm keeping my eye on craigslist but people seem to want to demand vast sums of money for their (unused) exercise equipment. We're going to have to spend a fair amount of time at yard sales this summer, amassing furniture and stuff to fill two households, so I'm going to keep an eye out there, too. I would love, love, love not to have to do my HIIT directly after spending an hour lifting weights. It's exhausting.

I'm glad you finally made it to yoga, Lifeguard! I'm not especially flexible but my big problem is balance. I have great strength, moderate flexibility, but I always seem to have major balance problems. I'm always falling over. :dizzy:

jamsk8r
04-04-2008, 01:49 AM
Baffled, I checked craigslist, too, for weight lifting stuff, and it was the same way. I figure, maybe they need to get a little more desperate, and the prices will come down.

I did things a little different today. I'd been doing the WL first, then running immediately after, but that was making it hard to get through my usual run. Today, I did the run at lunch, then a few hours later did the weights. That seemed to work much better for me, and did not seem to put a dent in what I could lift, so I'll definitely try that again next workout. :) Tomorrow, I'll be going to check out the local Y, to see if it will be worth joining. I hope they have a decent free weight room...

Mel
04-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Ugh, I woke up stuffy and with a headache at 4:15. Lay there thinking about just getting up and doing cardio, but when I finally did I knew it would be a painful slog. Sometimes a rest is a better idea. So I'm showered, fed and going to work early instead :lol: What fun! I don't seem to have the same blood flow to my brain. Cardio in the morning really wakes me up.

Hope you all have a great day!

Mel

kaw
04-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Morning, LWL

I'm writing this from my room in the Affinia Dumont. If any of you are in NYC and want to splurge on a fab place for the fitness minded, I highly recommend this hotel. More in my blog, here (http://3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/kaw16/2008/04/04/fit-for-a-queen/).

Had a great -- by travel standards -- chest workout this morning. Now it's meetings, meetings, and more meetings. The good news is that it's raining now and is supposed to rain all day. It's always easier to take a full day of meetings in NYC when the weather is lousy for walking around.

Mel, hope you feel better!

Be strong, everyone.
Kim

nelie
04-04-2008, 10:15 AM
kaw - For me, just staying in NYC would be a splurge. It is a bit too expensive for me. I'd like to go back for a visit but I break out in hives with the idea of spending much over $100 for a hotel room anywhere :)

I did some stretching and kettlebells last night. Not sure if I plan to start workout 2A this weekend or if I'll wait until I get back from my trip to CA. I plan to buy a kettlebell while out there (the TSA doesn't like you carrying around 20 lb balls of metal on airplanes) and leave it there with my parents. We'll see :)

fiberlover
04-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Good morning everyone! It's Friday and I am going to push my strength training workout just a bit. I do 2 sets, and am going to see how far into the 3rd set I get.

Kim - that hotel sounds so nice! I could use a vacation LOL (even though I know you are working).

RobertW
04-04-2008, 12:36 PM
kaw - For me, just staying in NYC would be a splurge. It is a bit too expensive for me. I'd like to go back for a visit but I break out in hives with the idea of spending much over $100 for a hotel room anywhere :)

If you do not want to splurge my YMCA (W.63rd and Central Park West) is a real cheap hotel with a very good gym. $48/night if you share a room and free access to the gym: http://www.hostels.com/en/availability.php/HostelNumber.831

nelie
04-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Yeah I'm not one much for sharing a bathroom :) I stayed at the Intercontinental last time I went, which is an awesome hotel but pricey. Food is also a bit too expensive for me in NY. I will make my way back though

elisa822
04-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Hey Everyone!

It's been a crazy week for me but I just wanted to pop in and say hi. I managed three trips to the gym this week which is low but not bad. The foods been okay (other than Tuesday...more below). FitDay is still keeping me in line!

Speaking of NY, I was there on Tuesday and the weather was really nice. It rained for a few minutes when we were trying to eat (burgers in the park, don't ask!) but then it was lovely. It's my favourite city but yes, the hotels can be pricey. The food, on the other hand, is whatever you want it to be. Nelie - if you're ever going back, I have a lot of cheap suggestions, although not all are healthy. ;) I tend to splurge (calorie-wise) when I'm there.

Have a great weekend.

:D

Lifeguard
04-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Cheryl - good luck with your Y. I've been to some that have been beautiful facilities & others that are dark & grimy & sparse. I hope yours is nice.

OMG - I cannot believe how sore I am from yoga!! YOGA! Who knew! Anyway, I decided to move the weight workout I had planned today to tomorrow (I can go with dh & that is always nicer anyway) & I swam today. I don't know why I don't swim more often - I really enjoy it. The water felt so great on my sore muscles & I always get out feeling so tall & stretched out. Unfortunately there was a whole wedding party at the pool (it's a private community pool - kind of similar to a country club atmosphere) having the wedding rehearsal. So here I am, fat 'ol me swimming lengths in front of 30 strangers dressed to the nines. LOL!!

RobertW
04-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Hey Everyone!

It rained for a few minutes when we were trying to eat (burgers in the park, don't ask!) but then it was lovely.

http://www.shakeshacknyc.com/ ?

You are right about the food in NYC. There are excellent values if you know where to go, and plenty ofoverpriced bad food as well. As a splurge on a diet, I would recommend one of the top mid-town restaurants for a weekday lunch. Jeans-Georges has a very good $20 3-course in the Nougatine and an amazing $36 lunch in the 3-Michelin star main restaurant. My wife and I are going to take my father there for his birthday on May 2nd, which should be my next restaurant meal.

Dieting and training wise I am sticking to 2,000 Cal/day and lifting 3xweek and doing cardio 6x. I am down 18# since getting "back on the horse" last month, and my lifting is going well. Here is what I did today:

Benchpress: 260#x5x5x5

I didn't do the full 5 sets of 5 because my chest was a bit sore from Wednesday's lifting. I think the dieting taxes my recovery a bit.

Floor Press (http://www.criticalbench.com/floor-press.htm):225#10 245#x7 265#x5 275#x3 285#x2 295#x1

These are done from a deadstop at the bottom. Fantastic triceps exercise and really helps if you stick in the middle of your bench.

Machine Seated Row (plate loading):150#x8x8x8

Working towards 3x10.

Machine curl:190#x10x10x10

LifeCycle Hill plus level 12, 20 min.

I am doing 20 min. on lifting days, and 50 min. cardio setting (HR=143) on the 3 non-lifting days.

At home I trained my hands with Grippers (http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/products.asp?dept=8) and a 2.5" diameter handle dumbell.

elisa822
04-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Robert - You are so smart (although I wasn't subtle for those "in the know") and now you all know my secret!! I love Shake Shack and think it's the best burger I have ever had. If you must know, I had a Shackburger, fries and a custard! :o I planned for it before and after I went so no permanent damage was done. And, yes, I frequent their website sometimes just to watch their webcam and sigh. ;) It's probably for the best I don't live there!!

For great Thai food, in the Village, I recommend Spice (http://spicenyc.net/university.html). I've only been to the one location. Amazing food and very reasonable prices. Crazy busy though, so I recommend going at slightly off hours or getting some takeout. Okay, enough of the NY talk.

nelie
04-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Oooo Thai food :) If I go to NYC, I have a list of vegan restaurants to check out and I'm more than willing to splurge on vegan food :) I guess manhattan was just more expensive than I expected food wise when I went. Also, me and my friend didn't really look into food before we went, we had looked into everything but so we didn't know where to eat.

jamsk8r
04-05-2008, 05:01 AM
No lifting for me today, but we checked out the YMCA...OMG! It's so cool! It has an indoor running track, adult-only locker rooms/showers, and free weight room, which were all on my wishlist. Has a ton of great stuff for my ds to do, including a really awesome selection of swimming pools, which was on his list.

I saved the best for last. I remembered what you all say all the time, about looking for a gym with a squat cage.. this place had TWO! We're definitely signing up. :carrot:

Well, I hope that made sense, because I am worn out from skating. Must go pass out now. I just had to share about the Y tour today. Good night from the west coast!

RobertW
04-05-2008, 09:31 AM
If you must know, I had a Shackburger, fries and a custard!

How many Calories would that be? 1,500? Pretty hard for me to fit in on my 2,000 Cal/day plan, but maybe if I eat half a shack burger and fries and substitute an Arnold Palmer for the custard I could fit it in. A single miniburger from Pop Burger (http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?neighborhoodid=0&restaurantid=5110) might work as well. I doubt that is more than 300-400 Cal.

nelie
04-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Cheryl,

I've never been to a Y but I've heard they are good. If they have a good free weights section, then I think it'll be good. The first gym I joined (a Golds turned Ballys gym) had an awesome free weight section, then when I moved to CO, the Ballys again had an awesome free weight section, then when I moved to MD, well the Ballys had a sucky free weight section and I really didn't go much then.

I did a good kettlebell workout this morning. Yesterday I skipped my workout because I went and got my hair done and then went shopping. Even though I went to work early and took a half day at work, I still didn't get home until after 7. So I ate dinner and watched a movie with DH.

Mel
04-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Despite no sleep again, I feel almost human after a good leg workout :) Amazing the power of exercise!

I was at the gym that I usually go to on weekdays at lunch time. Saturday mornings is a whole different ball game! I've never seen so many people. Luckily they were mostly in classes and on cardio equipment, but by 10 am when we were almost done, it was getting mighty crowded in the free weight section. Not real conducive to some of my space intensive exercises :lol3:

Sure hope I sleep tonight:p

Mel

Lydia227
04-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Hey Mel:wave: I do hope you get some rest soon. Saturdays are very different for me too. It's okay, it "inspires" me to become more creative with my supersets. What was supposed to be just a lower body workout turned into an upper and lower. Now I'm just really tired. I had plans to break away from the DSs this afternoon to do some shopping but came straight home to fuel up and take a power nap instead. :faint: Now I'm scoping the kitchen for some clean carbs and disappointed to find that I'm all out of protein pancakes. ~sigh~ Guess what I'll be making for breakfast tomorrow?;)

kaw
04-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Stupid Things I've Done at the Gym, #393:

This morning was back day. Lo and behold, the hotel gym had not one but two pullup stations. I chose my favorite, got a good grip on the bars, took a deep breath, pulled myself up ... and bonked my noggin on the ceiling. I swear, the crack was so loud it must have woken up the guests in the room above the gym.

Alas, my days pretending to be an executive -- and having an expense account -- are over for the foreseeable future. It was fun while it lasted, low ceilings notwithstanding.

Kim

Mel
04-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Ouch. Hope your noggin is OK.
Mel

Lydia227
04-06-2008, 10:05 AM
KAW: Oh I bet that throbbed for a while. Hate it when these things happen. But really, I don't think checking for ceiling clearance would have been on my mind either. Take care of yourself.

I wore myself out enough yesterday that I'm just going to do yard work today. It's not very often we have a decent day this early in the year to get a head start. Maybe if I'm lucky there will be a trip for spring flowers as well. :chin:

fiberlover
04-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Kim - ouch! I would have probably let go and fallen to the floor!

I am so excited to get outside and rake today, the ground has dried out enough from snow melt, plus it will be 54 today! This winter has seemed extra snowy.

sportmom
04-06-2008, 09:52 PM
KAW - you're not suing for negligence??? :lol: That's probably what they were afraid of when they heard the noise. Well, I hope your walking coma resolves soon.

Lydia, I enjoy hearing your weather reports bc it usually indicates the weather we will get here next, so I'm happy to hear sun. We had a glorious day yesterday which inspired me to do a full day of spring cleaning within. We're talking 2 kids rooms (1 of which was completely TRASHED) and a bathroom, and another overflowing laundry pile. TOday we had rain all day, so I used the day to work up a sweat over my kitchen floor. I get a better workout doing that floor mopping than on my treadmill, strangely. I guess it's really a fbwo w/o relying on your cardio limitations is why. You are definitely putting every muscle group into it when you have to press hard to get stains up. I don't do that often enough but will have to start now. I'm pretty good about spot cleaning as things happen, but sometimes you just need to give it a heavy mopping with a cleaning agent. What a nice shine.

Well, I can tell my 44th is imminent. My abdomen is looking like marshmallow fluff. Agh, how I long for the days when I only had to worry about my hips and thighs. Normally, I would try to fight it by doing a week or so of my protein smoothie meal replacements once or twice a day, but with the stones, I"m not doing that much protein again. In desperation, I looked at the SlimFast offerings (I know, I know :flame:) to see if they had come up with a formula better than the sugar, hfcs, and oil recipe, but no luck. I'm kind of desperate to take a big leap, deep cut - to use the words of those on the NROLW site.

I know, you guys are just saying, hmm, why not just eat super clean and stick with it and see if that works. :rolleyes: It will, but I just want this flubber GONE, like NOW. UGH!

(ETA: not to say everyone over 43 has flubber gut, but it just is a new phenomenon to me now)

Lifeguard
04-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Cheryl - great news on the gym. I'm glad it is going to work out for you.

We got a new puppy yesterday. She was found with her 2 brothers in a field behind someone's house & is so sickly & ugly right now - lol! But after just a day of baths, food, water & sleep she is already perking up & looking better.

kaw
04-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Morning, everyone! Thanks for all the concern about my noggin. It really was more of an embarrassing moment than a lastingly painful one.

Sportmom -- if you ever feel the need for a cardio workout, c'mon over to my house. I have plenty of floors for you to mop. Lord knows I don't do them.

Lifeguard -- that's great about the puppy. Kudos to you for taking her on.

It's a Monday. What else can I say. A pretty normal week around here, except that The Boy's spring break starts on Friday. (The school district here has two spring breaks, one in February and one in April. If you ask me, they should just do one at the usual time in March so that the kids aren't still in school in late June. But, they didn't ask me!)

Off for coff(ee).

Be strong,
Kim

Mel
04-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Glad your head is OK, Kim. I can't begin to count my embarrassing gym moments which resulted in bruises.

Another Monday...ds is sick again (camping this weekend...big surprise) and this week was his one hope of passing several courses at school. I'm at the end of my rope and and beyond hope.

Cardio this morning was a slow trudge on the elliptical. It got better as I got into it, but it sure wasn't a stellar session. I'll lift a lunch, then have a massage scheduled after work :) if no more disasters occur.

Have a good one.

Mel

Mel
04-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Hellooooooo out there!

Alarm did NOT go off this morning....grrrr...the upside is that I actually slept. I miss morning cardio tho!

Back later. Anyone else out there?

Mel

midwife
04-08-2008, 09:50 AM
I am! Hi guys! I don't have much to report. I'm still strength training and doing HIIT (the HIIT is when I can....and the next 2 weeks I am working a lot so who knows?), work is very stressful right now....catching babies is such an awesome privilege, but there are definite costs to this privilege, and right now I am just hanging on as hard as I can to believing that what I do is important....but that is neither here or there!

My good news is that I stepped on the scale this am and it read 169! In the 160s for the first time since who knows when? 1995 maybe? Unbelievable!! In other lifting news, I have gone up on most of my weights this week.

RobertW
04-08-2008, 12:33 PM
50 min. on the LifeCycle in cardio mode (Heartrate=142). I am lifting plus 20 min. cardio M-W-F and doing 50 min. Cardio Su-Tu-Th.

Diet is 2,000 Cal/day.

4rabbit
04-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Hi LWL,

I did NRWL2A3 yesterday + 1 hour powerclass.
Today it was 30 mins interval running on the treadmill,
and tomorrow NRWL 2B3. I am getting more familiar with the moves, and I find that I can now concentrate more on getting the right form. The scale is not moving (quite the opposite, I was up 2 lbs today) but I seem to be getting more reach in my form, and I can contemplate using higher weights.

Have a great day all,
rabbit

jamsk8r
04-08-2008, 03:03 PM
LG, good luck with the puppy. I'm sure regular meals and some basic medical care will set her right in no time. :)

Midwife, congrats for reaching the 160s! :celebrate:

Mel, glad you finally got some sleep! I've been copying your method of doing cardio first, then lifting a few hours later, on my running days, and it's working well for me. Keeps me strong for both workouts. Tried it the other way around, but unless I did the running immediately after lifting, ended up too sore and miserable to enjoy my run. Your example really helped me, and I just wanted to say thanks!

baffled111
04-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Hi everyone,

I got an official diagnosis of my post-cigarette weight gain this morning. The data this morning was a 2lb lean mass gain (yay!) and a 6lb fat gain (boo!). I shall have to re-evaluate the complacency I expressed the other day. My weight is fluctuating between 143 and 145... I should probably get it down to 140, at least. I need to find a way to navigate my constant hunger (literally always hungry, never full. I'm like a 16 year old boy except that I'm a 32 year old woman) and my obvious need to restrict calories to get the extra fat off.

Blech, blech, blech. Why did I ever quit smoking, anyway? I remember when I was trying to get the motivation to lose down to 135...Bah!

:wave:

jamsk8r
04-08-2008, 11:46 PM
That's it. I'm never quitting.

baffled111
04-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Cheryl, if it makes you feel more optimistic, now that I'm 8 weeks in I'm feeling almost like a normal person again. I'm no longer stuffing my face to compensate for the cigarettes--it's just a matter of dealing with the weight I gained during the if-I-don't-shove-food-in-my-mouth-constantly-I-won't-be-a-complete-person phase. I'm glad I quit, and yada, yada, yada, but it's pretty rough to go from 16.6**% bf to 19.7%bf in 2 months!!! Allow me my grief. :)

**I always thought that 16.6% number to be highly dodgy. I never really believed it. That said, I'm still several points higher...

jamsk8r
04-09-2008, 02:40 AM
I was just messing with you, B! :hug: I'll get to that step, I'm sure, but I'm not there yet.

Did the 1A5 workout today...it was a buttkicker, esp. going from 2 sets of 10 on those evil jackknife things to 3 sets of 12...sheesh! By the third set, my wrists could not take it any more. My left especially is really stiff from too many skating mishaps back when I skated outdoors and did stupid downhill skating, so it doesn't really "do" the 90 degree bend any more. I had to get out the push-up bars and use those. It was a little iffy getting up on those without falling off the ball, but I did it, and it was better than trying to bend that wrist one more time!

My big accomplishment for the day was that I went up to 35lb DBs for the squat. My ds was laughing at my dumbbells, because I had to put a mishmash of different sized plates on to make them both weigh the same. One was huge with 10 lb plates on the inside, lol. Guess it's time to get that Y membership!

Mel
04-09-2008, 08:18 AM
What the doodle is DOWNHILL SKATING??? :yikes:?

I thought I was the crazy one around here!

Baf- think about it as a deliberate buulk phase and now you need to do a cut :) Your body thanks you for quitting even if your waistline is a little more padded. That's not a bad gain- I've done that without the excuse of quitting cigarettes. :hug:

LG- Congrats and good luck with the puppy.

Managed a "normal" cardio this morning---yeesh, 47 minutes is a lot longer than yesterday's 8 minute frantic session (no alarm clock). Jorge Cruise is wrong- 8 minutes is NOT enough!

Mel

elisa822
04-09-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm still here! The month of April is crazy busy for me but I've been hanging out and reading the posts to stay on track. There's lots of travelling in April (along with other stuff) and I tend to eat way too much when I'm away...everywhere is a treat, since it's somewhere different! :o So, when I'm at home, I've been trying to eat super clean. It seems to be working so far. No permanent damage.

I'm really dying to get outside for a run but haven't been able to get there yet. I'm worried that my cardio stamina is way down since I cut out the spinning for a while. I know I can get back to my approximate 30 minute 5k fairly quickly, I just need time to get out there!!

I'm hoping next week to try NROLW Stage 2 for the first time. Looks like I'll have to do some studying of the exercises before I try it though. Sounds complicated. ;)

Today at lunch is my first appointment with the physiotherapist for my shoulder so we'll see what she says. And I still hope to do my power class after work, if nothing goes too wrong at the appointment.

Hi to everyone and have a great day!

fiberlover
04-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Hi everyone! Been working my blowflex workouts for 3 weeks now, and what a difference! I don't know why I ever stopped doing it. Oh, those stupid things we do....

kaw
04-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Morning, LWL!
I benched the big girl plates again today. Managed a set of 3, then a set of 2. I still can't really claim 135 as my workout weight, but I'm making progress. Now, if I could just say the same for the squish that appeared on my belly over the past month...

Baff -- appx. 6 pounds of fat + 2 pounds LBM isn't bad at all in the greater scheme of things. As I'm sure you know, it's very difficult for a non-beginner to gain muscle without also gaining a bit of fat. (That's why powerlifters aren't the trimmest athletes in the world...) Yeah, you can grieve for a bit, but that's it.

Done yet? :)

Be strong,
Kim

elisa822
04-09-2008, 03:55 PM
So I finally got a shoulder diagnosis: I have a weak (and sometimes inflamed) subscapularis. I got a few exercises to work on and I'm supposed to avoid exercises that work the pecs or use the "push" motion. There seems to be a growing imbalance as I strengthen the "front" but not the "back." Besides the non weight bearing muscle specific excercises she gave me, I should work on more shoulder/back exercises specifically with a "pulling" action. Any type of rows are good and the lat pulldowns are fine. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

Meg
04-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Elisa, it's wonderful that you finally have a diagnosis! And it sounds like something quite fixable. :carrot:

RobertW
04-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Besides the non weight bearing muscle specific excercises she gave me, I should work on more shoulder/back exercises specifically with a "pulling" action. Any type of rows are good and the lat pulldowns are fine. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

We are all supposed to work at rowing just as hard as benching to avoid those sorts of shoulder problems. My ratio of pressing to pulling work is ~3:1, but it was even worse in college when I was a stronger bench presser than now.

Mel
04-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Interesting diagnosis, Elisa. So it's not really a shoulder problem! Good news. I had crippling subscapularis pain a few years ago, but it was attributed to doing too much heavy back work :lol: It's such a fine line we walk! Best wishes with the rehab!

I have a low grade infection of some sort (sore throat, headache) and have struggled through cardio and lifting. I don't want to rest, tho I know it would be better in the long run. Lifting keeps me semi-sane and the cardio keeps my clothes fitting better. I also discovered from NOT doing it in the morning once or twice, that I feel like I don't wake up without it!

Doing back today- a good catharsis because I KNOW that it will be insane at work!

have a good one-

Mel

Lydia227
04-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Same story here Mel. I've been down with a fever and swollen lymph node since Monday. It's getting a little better. I'm planning to return on Saturday. DH can tell I've been off all week because I'm chattering about all of the maintenance/updates that need to be done to the house. :blah:

Elisa: I'm so glad to know that your shoulder is going to be helped without any type of invasive measures. :hug: Always a concern when these things pop up. Robert brought up a good point about balance. I know this regarding quads/hamstrings as well. It would only prove to be true about chest/back balance. Good to keep in mind.

Cheryl: Go check out your local Y so your son will quit laughing at you for goodness sakes. :devil: :D

Fran: Another weather report here. :sunny: How's that. Hey, when is your birthday coming up anyway? Thought you could just slip that into your post unnoticed huh. ;) :hug:

Kaw, Rabbit, LG, and everyone else:wave:

Pat: Are you home from your trip yet?

srmb60
04-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Oh my goodness ... I forgot I posted here! Sorry.

Dh and I go together ... so far ... Monday and Friday for resistance and Wednesdays for cardio.

Ours is a one man show in a real small town. We walk and it takes 13 minutes to get there. A gal called Tracey made us a routine (big muscles >>> small muscles) and wrote up nutrition guidelines.

I guess I'm an old dog. I'm having trouble adjusting to machines, grams instead of percentages .... But, I'll figure it out I guess.

elisa822
04-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Mel - nitpicky question but isn't the subscapularis part of the shoulder? Otherwise I can't figure out why occasionally I can't lift my arm past shoulder height. From what I could figure out, it's this muscle that's deep in the shoulder which might be why I describe the discomfort as "joint pain" on certain exercises.

And as for the balance of "front and back" exercises, yes I guess that's one of those things that I didn't really focus too much on. I still consider myself a beginner and I just never gave that enough thought. Not for my chest/back or quads/hamstrings. Hmmm...something to think about.

I hope to go for a run at lunch today. Scale was kind to me but I'm off again on Saturday for a few days so here we go again!

I hope everyone who's feeling a bit under the weather, gets better soon. No one should be sick when the weather is just starting to co-operate. I think we saw 19C yesterday (that's about 66F for those of you south of the border) and I see my tulips starting to pop up!

RobertW
04-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Mel - nitpicky question but isn't the subscapularis part of the shoulder? Otherwise I can't figure out why occasionally I can't lift my arm past shoulder height. From what I could figure out, it's this muscle that's deep in the shoulder which might be why I describe the discomfort as "joint pain" on certain exercises.

It is part of the "rotator cuff" which I would consider part of the shoulder.

Workout: 50 min. on the LifeCycle HR=142

Depalma
04-10-2008, 03:09 PM
It depends if by "shoulder," you are referring to the joint (or in the case of the shoulder, any of the the three joints) or you are referring to the joints and the muscles that are responsible for moving and/or stabilizing the joint.

I believe the relief expressed was probably that this is a muscular issue and not a joint issue involving the connective tissue. While muscular issues certainly are not to be taken lightly, muscles repair faster and more completely than tendons and ligaments due to the increased blood flow.

In any case, it's great to hear that this shouldn't be a long-term issue.

elisa822
04-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Depalma - so if muscular issues are better than joint issues...yay for me! ;) Thanks for the information.

Depalma
04-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Muscular issues are not ALWAYS better, for instance a severely torn muscle would be worse than a strained ligament. But typically if the same descriptions are used for muscles and connective tissue, then typically, the muscles will repair better and/or faster. Anyway, that is going by stuff that I've read. I would never be confused for a doctor.

kaw
04-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Morning, everyone.

An NSV that I thought y'all might appreciate. As some of you may remember, I have a semi-public job that involves contact with a lot of different people. Yesterday, one of said people asked me, "do you work out at Bingo Bob's Buff-n-Brawny Battlezone?" (Gym name changed to protect the guilty.) I said, "yes." He said, "I thought so, because a friend of mine told me about this super-buff older woman with short hair who lifts there."

After I finished beating him up for calling me "older", I thanked him quite politely. :)

The sad truth is that I am about the only "older" woman who lifts at Bingo Bob's regularly. Older is, after all, in the eyes of the beholder. (Older/beholder. Pretty clever, huh? ;))

Be strong,
Kim

Mel
04-11-2008, 08:32 AM
lol, kim. I get back-handed "compliments" like that all the time. And you, my dear, are a youngster!

Mel

Meg
04-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Kim, if you're older, then Mel and I are fossilized. :lol: Nice compliment! And I usually don't see women of any age in our weight room, except for the occasional college girl working out with her BF, using 8s. Ah, but if you check the cardio machines and ad/abductors ... :p

4rabbit
04-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi Kim,

Another fossil....

Just keep on going!

Rabbit

midwife
04-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Kim,

WHen I first read your post, I totally cracked up. And then I wanted to tell you to focus on the buff comment and not the "older" comment.

And then I sat (eating my oatmeal made with protein powder and a touch of peanut butter). And I thought about my gym......

The women I have seen there are in their 20s. Max.

And....ulp!....so are all the men.

Lots of high school athletes.

Maybe 1 or 2 of the trainers might be pushing 30.

I am 35.

The only women in their late 30s or 40s I see there are the moms of the high school athletes. I always think "Lift, lady, lift! You're here! Get to work!" But they ignore my thoughts and sit on their stool sipping from a Sonic cup and reading a paperback.

I am an anomoly. Except in this thread.

Here's to buffness, age irrelevant!!!

jamsk8r
04-11-2008, 06:08 PM
It's sunny here today, almost like spring! (shock, awe) I wish I could do weights again today, but I just did my FBWO yesterday. On the age issue, I get those kinds of comments at the skating rink, so being the odd (wo)man out at the gym shouldn't bother me. ;)

midwife
04-11-2008, 10:26 PM
I have to take back my earlier post.

I stroll into the gym tonight and start chatting with the totally buff chick warming up next to me.

Turns out we went to middle school together. So, another 35 year old at my gym!! She is a cop and in totally rocking shape. Very cool.

4rabbit
04-12-2008, 04:36 AM
Hi LWL,

midwife...35 yrs is old at your gym??
Ooops...I am 49, and at my gym I seem to be a spring chicken! A lot of the women in my classes are older than me, we have 2 60+ ladies that live near the gym, make it a point to come in everyday, and both of them are in power class. One is also in the yoga class. And friday morning, during my yoga lesson, the machines section is also covered ladies that are definitely older than me.

Or maybe they look more their age???

have a great weekend,
rabbit

baffled111
04-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi all,

Crappy day at the gym this morning. I've been in denial about this, but I'm almost positive that I have a stress fracture in my shin. I've been experiencing pain during running and sprinting for about 6 weeks but I've been trying to ignore it. Ignoring is making it worse, rather than better, so I think I need to re-evaluate over here. It's becoming more and more difficult to do my HIIT. (I'm pretty sure the stress fracture was caused by that bw matrix, fwiw.) I also think I'm due for a break in between NROLW stages, so I did my HIIT and then hobbled from the gym this morning, skipping the weights altogether.

Has anyone had a stress fracture? Should I bother with a doctor or should I just take 6-8 weeks (?!?!?!?!??!?!) off the running to let myself heal as per advice on the internet? My opinion of doctors is, for the most part, not especially high.

Also I'm disgruntled because I'm going to have to find all new ways of doing cardio and HIIT because I want to do some fat loss while I'm taking a vacation from NROLW.

Blech. It's all a mess.

Meg
04-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Oh Baff, I'm so sorry! :hug: Most of us here are Queens of Denial when it comes to injuries, but we can all tell you that it only hurts you in the long run to work through pain. So yeah, it's time to figure out what's going on and deal with it,

Have you considered shin splints as a alternative? I'm not sure you can self-diagnose a stress fracture without Xrays, so you may have to break down and see a doctor. There could be a lot of different things going on and it's hard to figure out what's the problem on your own. If you see a doctor, try to find one who specializes in sports injuries.

In the meantime, can you walk without pain? I know it's not as exciting as HIIT, but it's something. How about bike riding or swimming? Have you tried the elliptical to see if that hurts?

While you're sorting out what's wrong, you can still lose fat so long as you're eating on-plan and lifting. Seriously, diet is 80% of fat loss. But ... I hate to say this, but you might want to drop your calories by a few hundred to compensate for the calorie burn you're not getting from running.

Mel
04-12-2008, 03:59 PM
baf- despite your (and most of our) opinions of doctors in general, I'd suggest getting a firm diagnosis. From your description a stress fracture seems likely and the treatment would be rest, but there are other possibilities you want to rule out. Play it safe. I think Lydia is our stress fracture expert here. I've never had one, but have runner friends who have.

Leg day today...I had a great workout with my friend. We went heavy and are starting back to heavy-low rep schemes after about 8 weeks of a lighter, faster workout scheme. Change is good :) I may not be quite so perky about it tomorrow tho!

Anyone else soing the 3FC 5K? That's tomorrow morning's fun :dizzy: The magnolia and cherry trees here are in full bloom, so an outdoor run should be pretty.

Mel

Meg
04-12-2008, 04:01 PM
How many pounds, Mel? :strong:

I did 5K on the elliptical and another 5K on the bike this morning and plan to do it again tomorrow. Have fun on your run! It's turning back to winter here. :(

baffled111
04-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the thoughts ladies. I'll call the doctor, I guess. I might as well get some benefit from my health insurance!

You're right about the calories Meg. I think that's why I should take the week off from weight lifting. I'm due for a recovery period and these workouts are making me starving all the time. A week off might help to reduce my starvation.

The weather is absolutely glorious today. I see no reason why I shouldn't go on an hour long bike ride before or after work this week instead of running and lifting. It's less efficient but it will burn calories nicely. :)

midwife
04-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Hey Baffled,
I agree you should have it checked out. I used to think it was okay to work out through pain, but my DD runs track and cross country and my eyes have been opened to how a minor injury can sideline an athlete for weeks or months.

Rabbit, I think that "old" or "young" is definitely in the eye of the beholder. I just hadn't realized that most of the folks at my gym were younger than me until I sat down to think about it. I feel like I am 19 or so!

I'm doing the 5K---sometime today! I spent the am at a track meet, now I am making dinner for a coworker whose wife had surgery, and then we have a soccer game later. But I can definitely carve out 30 minutes for a 5K (who am I kidding? I need more like 40 minutes!)

Lydia227
04-13-2008, 12:09 AM
Baff: I'm so glad that you are going to get a diagnosis to find the cause of your pain. Just having that is going to make you feel so much better and it really is the first step in getting you back doing the things you love best. :hug:

Mel's right, :yes: I've been through the whole stress fracture thing, femoral neck, from running. I'd commend her on her great memory but I was so melodramatic about it that it's probably etched in everyone else's mind too. I can hear everyone's collected sigh all the way over here. :s:

It took me the better part of a year to heal it. Mostly because I spent the first three months in denial before I made an appointment with a sports doc.
The xray showed nothing and only one out of like a hundred manipulations that he did on the leg/hip reproduced the pain. After the MRI we found the fracture.

We took a somewhat casual approach to it initially. I tried "active recovery" in the form of the elliptical. Too much movement in the hips, I signed up for swimming lessons, found myself hobbling too and from the pool. Even cycling proved to be too much. Finally, after about three more months of this craziness he set me up with a pair of crutches and put me on couch rest. Ever try to get two kids ready for school while hobbling around on crutches? Not cool. Two to three months later it finally healed. Probably would not have taken nearly that long had I just stopped in the beginning but like Meg said we have the capacity to turn into the "Queen of Denials" here.

My greatest fear during this period was gaining back the weight. This injury occurred right after I had lost 50 lbs. I was convinced that I would gain this weight back in just a few short months but thankfully I didn't.

Just like Meg stated it's 80 to 85% diet. I kept it as clean as possible and really tried to refrain from using the pity party I was having as an excuse to indulge in something that I would not have chosen to eat if I were working out. In my mind the switch had been flipped from being an obese woman to an athletic woman who was sidelined for a while. If you are active, injuries happen. This was just a new experience for me and I just needed to learn how to get through it just as I needed to learn how to incorporate exercise and clean eating into my life the year proceeding this injury.

I spent my time researching my injury to the nth. I learned all I could about rehabbing my hip, new techniques for running and strengthening exercises that I would include into my program once I got the green light for physical therapy. I also lifted upper body three days a week once the crutches were no longer necessary. I had great definition in my chest and arms at the end of that summer. :devil:

Good luck with this Baff. Hopefully you will be back doing what you love most in just a few weeks. Keep us updated with how you are progressing. Also, feel free to gripe and whine all you want. It's a bummer when you have to switch gears before you are ready.

:chin: Now, BW matrix huh, I'm going to keep that in mind too. Thanks for the heads up. I'd rather not be rehabbing myself again this fall. ;)

baffled111
04-13-2008, 11:25 AM
OMG Lydia that's awful! All those months without being able to exercise! <shudders> What a horrible thought. I'll call a doctor's office on Monday and get an appointment. And I promise not to run anywhere. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I am going bike riding today though. It's supposed to be 80 and beautiful. I can't wait. Here's to a great exercise session and an on-plan food day!

Mel
04-15-2008, 08:26 AM
April 15! Everybody done their taxes??

Cardio done, off to work. I'm trying a new shoulder workout lifted from this month's Oxygen magazine, with some tweaks. This month's issue had a lot of good training and eating articles.

Have a good one,
Mel

Lydia227
04-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Everyone must be outside enjoying the :sunny: Its really beautiful here today. A little chilly but I'm headed outdoors anyway.

Mel: Taxes were done a while ago. Thank goodness. Thanks for the heads up with regard to Oxygen mag's issue. I'll take a look.

Nice and sore this afternoon. I had a great ubwo this morning and some decent cardio. I have a photo of a woman rock climbing that I used as motivation for the past two summers. She's been in my folder all winter and I just put her back out on the whiteboard last night. This morning DH wrote a little message next to her on his way out the door, "She's back." :yes: Mhmmm. Yes she is. :cool:

baffled111
04-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Hi all,

My taxes were done a couple of weeks ago also. My refund appeared in my checking out yesterday. (Hooray refunds!)

I'm taking this week as a rest week from the weights, but I did go on a 45 minute bike ride this morning, out through farmlands and vineyards. Pleasant but bloody cold. I had to spend 20 minutes in the shower before feeling returned to my toes!

I have good news: my self-diagnosis was wrong and I do not have a stress fracture. It's just an ordinary shin-splint-inflamed-tendon-situation. I'm supposed to avoid high impact stuff until it stops hurting (duh). The doc then tried to tell me that if I want fat loss I should be exercising in the 'fat burning zone' rather than doing intervals anyway. I tried to argue with him on this point, but he assured me that his undergrad degree was in sport's studies and so he couldn't possibly be wrong. I'm trying not to conclude from this exchange that he could be wrong about other, important tendon-and-bone related things...

Anyway, that is very pleasing. I'm going to stick with cycling for my cardio for a week or two and then I'll be back in business. Yay.

Lydia227
04-15-2008, 10:02 PM
I have good news: my self-diagnosis was wrong and I do not have a stress fracture

Baff: This is great news. What a relief! :^:

The doc then tried to tell me that if I want fat loss I should be exercising in the 'fat burning zone' rather than doing intervals anyway.

:lol3: Go get 'em Baff. Guess we can't convert everyone. That's okay, let them stay in their "fat burning zone" all they want. We've got better things to do. :D

midwife
04-15-2008, 11:50 PM
That is good news, Baff. I hope your shin splints heal faster than my daughter's have.

I mailed the taxes last night so we are ahead of the game. :devil:

Not much happening around here. Just trying to juggle life, work, kids, DH, exercise and eating OP. I'm actually really enjoying having tight control over my nutrition....it is the only thing I can control some days!

My big accomplishment this week is that I did the leg press without being completely certain I would die. So that is progress! :lol:

I've also decided I might like to learn to play golf. I am amazed at all the new things I am trying and doing. I kind of like this body I have!

PS Love the thought of the rock climbing picture, Lydia!! You're my hero!

JerseyGirl69
04-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Guess I needed to read Baffled's medical posts this morning--I've been procrastinating about going to the doctor.

When I was in the Challenge at the gym, we did a lot of high impact work, like running circuits, etc. Think they took their toll on me and two weeks ago during a simple warm up of cross jacks with my new trainer (in a class), my knee went wonky.

We took a week off of leg work, I stopped doing lunges, legwork, anything with impact. It wasn't pain I was in, just that something wasn't right. Does that make sense? I have had this "burning" feeling on the top of my kneecap and every once in a while I can land on the knee wrong and be shocked by the feeling. Again, not pain. But certainly not normal.

Even doing pushups with my feet on a stability ball sends a pinch up the inside of knee. Nothing good, I'm sure.

FYI, I injured this knee at 10 (strained ligaments) and it's always been problematic.

Last night I put one leg off the bed to reach down and bring my dog up (yeah, cutey pie sleeps in my bed) and when I put pressure on the leg, it went out of joint, so to speak.

I know I should get this checked out. I hesitate because very often docs are just guessing. And getting them to the right diagnosis is time consuming and costly, KWIM?

And to go in...not in pain...can make the diagnosis even harder to find, dontcha think?

Anyway, I should make an appointment anyway. I'd rather spend the copays on training.

Training is going well. Love my new trainer. Actually ENJOY it more than I have in a long time. Yesterday we re-introduced legs back in with squats and leg presses. Good, tough workout. Love it.

Oh, taxes? Dang...first time I ever filed an extension. Just procrastinated way too much. Will wrap up ASAP. Owed a refund, so won't be paying penalties, I'm sure.