South Beach Diet - Kashi crackers

View Full Version : Kashi crackers

cathbro
03-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Can someone take a look at the ingredients in these crackers and let me know if they are SBD friendly?

http://www.kashi.com/products/tlc_crackers_original_7_grain

Are the carbs to high?

cottagebythesea
04-01-2008, 06:18 AM
Cathbro, unfortunately, they are not SBD friendly. The first thing on the ingredients list is unbleached wheat flour. Wheat flour does not mean "whole wheat", it could mean anything. Also, they contain evaporated cane juice (sugar), honey, malt extract, and cornmeal. All these are no-no's.

I love Kashi products and do use them occasionally. They don't seem to cause any cravings for me, but to be totally true to SBD, you should avoid these crackers. :(

Also remember, this is not a low carb diet, it's a good carb diet.

Schmoodle
04-01-2008, 10:12 AM
cathbro, reduced-fat triscuits are SB-friendly and super yummy!

cathbro
04-01-2008, 10:32 AM
awww this sucks. I thought for sure Kashi crackers would be okay. I have to get better at reading these labels. Thanks for letting me know about the triscuits.:)

What about wasa http://us.wasa.com/wasa/smpage.fwx?page=506&SMLanguage=US
are they okay?

Schmoodle
04-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Most Kashi stuff I've looked at is not okay because they unfortunately use "evaporated cane juice" which is just a granola way of saying sugar.
However Kashi GoLean cereal is okay (not to be confused with GoLean Crunch, which is super yummy and sweet and NOT okay). Also, the Kashi GoLean waffles, are really, really close to meeting the requirements, so I eat those sometimes for a breakfast treat, but not too often. With Kashi, you'll have to read the ingredients, and be on the lookout for sugars, and how many grams per serving, and if the fiber content is high enough, and if there is refined flour.

cottagebythesea
04-01-2008, 07:06 PM
The Wasa crispbreads are fine, as are the Ryevita.

cathbro
04-02-2008, 01:36 PM
The Wasa crispbreads are fine, as are the Ryevita.

Thanks, Wasa is not the greatest in the world but it is something I can live with.