Weight Loss Support - Hey can you name 3 things you have learned on your weight loss journey (for fun)

Tavinni
03-31-2008, 10:30 AM
3 Things I have learned on my weight loss journey...

1. A large is a size to make small people think they're big, and for big people to know they are getting small
2. One size does not fit all
3. Your feet can lose weight too! :)

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly
03-31-2008, 10:44 AM
what triggers me to eat
shopping can be fun
making better choices

rockinrobin
03-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Oh gosh, I have learned soooo much. It would be kinda hard for me to pinpoint 3 of them, when there are literally hundreds of things I've learned, but I'll give it a shot.

-I learned that all along I really had the control I thought I didn't. I just needed to dig down deep enough and want to lose weight badly ENOUGH to get a hold of it.
-I learned that the scale is not the enemy. Nor the food. It was me the whole time. I was my own worst enemy. If I treat myself well, haha, the scale is indeed my buddy. A good buddy at that.
-I learned I will need to count or at least estimate my calories for the rest of my life (or at least til I'm 88, at that time, I just may decide to give it a rest), it is the only thing that holds me accountable and lets me be brutally honest with myself
-And planning. I can't say enough about it. Like my signature says (got that from someone here at 3FC) - "Failure to plan, is planning to fail" It is without a doubt one of the truest statements I have ever heard.

All right and now can I add in some fun ones?

-Shopping for clothing is AWESOME. Wearing feminine clothing and having my own style, instead of settling for whatever tent fit around me is AWESOME. Feeling sexy is AWESOME too.
-Collarbones are better then any jewelry in the world. They are priceless.
-All the hard work is worth it (see above)

EDITED TO ADD: Oops, I see I put 4 in the first section. Truth is, I could have put 44 in the first (and then some) and double and triple that in the second. :)

Hat Trick
03-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Real food tastes real good.
Waiting until you're ready to gnaw your arm off to eat is stupid.
Exercise works.

srmb60
03-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Just three? Hmmm ....

1.You need to eat less and move more ... anything else is personalization and window trimming.

2.Walking is easy, cheap, fun, relaxing ... can be social or alone time ... indoor/outdoor ... and is very effective. How darned nearly perfect is that?

3.A little muscle is slim, shapely, sexy, healthy and not that hard to make.

:devil:That was kinda cheating:devil:

yoyonomoreinvegas
03-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Not eating doesn't work
1500 calories from Burger King can make you fat, 1500 calories of "real" food will make you thinner and healthier
Discovering you need to "tweak" your original plan doesn't mean you (or the plan) "failed" - just means you and your body are learning to communicate better.

bargoo
03-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Any product that says lose 30 pounds in 10 days is a lie!
Any product that says lose 20 pounds in 10 days is a lie!
Any product that sounds too good to be true probably is.

Sgirl
03-31-2008, 11:32 AM
1) I don't need nearly as much food as I thought I did
2) It's ok not to finish ALL the food on your plate, just save it for later
3) I'm happy with myself now and when I get to my goal weight and see fat pictures I'll think "I was a good looking fat person and now I'm a good looking thin person".

mandalinn82
03-31-2008, 12:07 PM
1. I am a really, really good cook, especially when presented with fresh, local, in-season produce. It's hard to make that taste bad, but I think I do an exceptional job at making really tasty, really healthy food.
2. I like frilly, girly dresses. A lot.
3. Being strong feels amazing.

onelife2live
03-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Consistency is Key
Keeping a food journal will keep you accountable to yourself
Veggies and fruit taste good!

mommamurray
03-31-2008, 12:39 PM
I learned that the only thing stopping me from losing weight was me getting off my butt and getting moving.
Planning my food helps me stay on track.. not buying junk for anyone in the house is a good thing.. they will thank me later .
I am in it for the long haul.. I never say I cant have something.. I just say I dont want it. Its just not worth it.

BattleAx
03-31-2008, 12:52 PM
1. Oh my gosh, I CAN do this! Wow!

2. I am not making sacrifices. I am making the choices necessary to regain a happy, healthy life. That could possibly include a ....love life!....

3. The scale will eventually move, and I don't have to starve to make it move.

LittleMoonRabbit
03-31-2008, 12:53 PM
1. You don't have to starve yourself to lose weight- it is, in fact, the complete opposite- Eat, Eat, Eat!
2. I actually really enjoy exercising
3. Inches lost are more important than pounds lost

polkadotfever
03-31-2008, 01:03 PM
1) consistency is key. just keep plugging along and doing the work and you will make it.

2) water is really important.

3) i don't need nor do i miss all that junk food.

:carrot:

PhotoChick
03-31-2008, 01:12 PM
Oh gosh. Just 3? But for fun, right? Ok, here are my fun ones:

1. I've learned that I don't really like french fries as much as I thought I did (really!)

2. I've learned that I love wearing fitted clothing that shows my figure

3. I've learned that my husband can fend for himself for dinner better than I ever thought he could.

rockinrobin
03-31-2008, 02:25 PM
3. I've learned that my husband can fend for himself for dinner better than I ever thought he could.

Mine too! Ain't it great? And a real lifesaver at that.

I'm also in total agreement with you on your numbers 1 & 2 as well. :smug:

Tavinni
03-31-2008, 02:33 PM
1500 calories from Burger King can make you fat, 1500 calories of "real" food will make you thinner and healthier

Its true and hilarious!

Apple Cheeks
03-31-2008, 07:48 PM
I've learned:

1. Having support and others to turn to (here on 3FC) for inspiration does make a difference! Things I've learned here have helped me avoid raiding the fridge when I'm not hungry ("It's not in there"), and get moving even when I don't feel like it.

2. Slip-ups are going to happen. It's not really possible for me to eat "perfectly" the rest of my life. I am learning to immediately recover from any hiccups, and just move on with things instead of throwing in the towel and giving up because of one bad meal or day.

3. I'm learning that I actually know more about weight loss and fitness than I thought! I guess I'm re-discovering my inner wisdom. (I just wasn't applying any of that knowledge :()

Sgirl
03-31-2008, 08:57 PM
I've learned:

3. I'm learning that I actually know more about weight loss and fitness than I thought! I guess I'm re-discovering my inner wisdom. (I just wasn't applying any of that knowledge :()

I completely understand the part I wasn't "applying" any of it! When people would tell me all the "secrets" to weightloss I would be like "Holy Begeeezis I know people, GOSH!" But I would still be 250 lbs. I wonder why, even when we know so much of the science and psychology behind weight gain, we still struggle with it?

Altari
03-31-2008, 09:52 PM
Food isn't the enemy, my need to eat everything in site is.

Replacing exercise for baking therapy isn't a 1 to 1 ratio. I have to exercise for 3 minutes to make up for every minute of baking therapy.

In that vein, every minute of baking therapy {which results in tasty godies} requires 10 minutes of exercise to undo.

Shy Moment
03-31-2008, 10:02 PM
Exercise is just as important as what I put into my mouth

I need to eat the required amounts of the four basic food groups

The great people I have met on this site make the harder days much easier.

Tavinni
03-31-2008, 10:23 PM
The great people I have met on this site make the harder days much easier.

Shy I totally AGREE!!!

Photochick, your number 1 is still one of my major weaknesses that I am working on...I love french fries, in particular McDonalds french fries. And though I like sweet potato fries, i still have a french fry problem. I am so happy that you don't like them as much as you thought. I am still waiting for that day to happen.

Lets see....3 other things I have learned

1. To take in clothing (because I am to cheap to buy a new wardrobe)
2. Green and red peppers are awesome and can be added to so many things
3. I will never take touching my toes without bending my knees for granted ever again! It took me a long time to do it.

gailr42
03-31-2008, 10:24 PM
1. I have learned what maintenance is - I seriously never had a clue before I came here and read maintenance stories, and the Ann Fletcher books. Now I know it is possible to keep the weight off. Knowledge is power!!!

2. These days, I always eat breakfast.

3. I have learned volumes about healthy cooking and enjoy making super tasty food that looks pretty and is healthful.

For Fun? I learned that I don't fall over putting my panties on when I'm not so fat.

I learned that my socks don't always slide down inside my shoes when I loose a little weight.

I swore I was never going to drink skim milk, or re-constituted dry milk. Well, I am now. I read in a book that lowering the fat content of dairy was one of the easiest ways to cut fat in general. So, I did it, and lived to tell about it.

jellydisney
04-01-2008, 07:18 AM
1. I learned that I CAN have a small portion of ice cream without eating the whole carton. Amazing!

2. I learned that when I'm thin, my arms are no longer constantly crash into my sides when I walk. Now I can swing my arms freely at my sides without the collision!

3. I learned that it's much more fun when my boyfriend picks me up when I'm thin -- no more grunting and struggling to not drop me like a sack of potatoes.

rockinrobin
04-01-2008, 07:52 AM
1. I learned that I CAN have a small portion of ice cream without eating the whole carton. Amazing!

Okay, now this is something that I have yet to learn. And I know for sure that I never will. Never, ever, ever. To me, one serving size of ice cream is and always will be the whole carton, regardless of this size of that carton - 1 pint, 1/2 gallon - no difference.

Jelly, you are a way more disciplined person then I. Hats off to you. :carrot:

twentysixpoint2
04-01-2008, 12:40 PM
1) Being thinner is not the answer to all of life's problems, nor will it make me happy in and of itself.

2) A life without daily exercise is a miserable one that I will never, ever return to.

3) I've learned how to take care of myself in non-weight-related ways, as well: sleeping enough, drinking enough water, not stressing, avoiding too much salt, etc.

KateB
04-01-2008, 12:53 PM
I have learned delicious healthy meals are quick and easy to prepare.

I have learned there is 80 calories in one Lemon Cream Girl Scout cookie. Which translate too...it takes way more time to work it off than it does to stuff it in!!

I have learned the gym is not a scary place after all.

BrandNewJen
04-01-2008, 04:00 PM

I love that one, PhotoChick! Yes yes--- time to stop worrying about EVERYONE ELSE and what they'll eat--- I cook for ME and if you want to partake in it, yay for you. If not- go find something and take care of yourself. :) If my picky husband wants to lose weight with me, he'll eat what I eat. Or he can do what he wants and stay fat and complain and do the work himself! Odds are, lazy will win out and he'll eat my food. :)

For me...

1. Dieting does NOT mean starving to death! You can eat a TON of vegetables and barely put a dent in your calorie budget
2. Planning the food I eat every day is the only way to live. "spontaneous" choices regarding food just leaves me clueless and worrying... better to know exactly what I plan to eat before I eat it!
3. This is not nearly as hard as it used to be once you eat HEALTHY and stop dieting.

BrandNewJen
04-01-2008, 04:04 PM
To me, one serving size of ice cream is and always will be the whole carton, regardless of this size of that carton - 1 pint, 1/2 gallon - no difference.

Oh thank GOD ROBIN!!!!!!!! Man... MAN!!!!

I was really worried there that you were perfect. Wow... so you ARE a real human being, huh? So even after all that, you still have some "fat girl" characteristics that you still battle with every day. That makes me feel SO MUCH better!

I am the same way... doesn't matter how big it is, it's MINE until it's GONE. Better to just steer clear of it.

JayEll
04-01-2008, 04:50 PM
rockinrobin and I have that in common when it comes to ice cream--and I'm sure there are lots of other members who do, too. I have other foods that can't be around either--but what has helped robin and me both is knowing that we can't have these foods in the house and therefore not having them around! Making it a non-issue instead of an endless battle. :D

Jay

jellydisney
04-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Okay, now this is something that I have yet to learn. And I know for sure that I never will. Never, ever, ever. To me, one serving size of ice cream is and always will be the whole carton, regardless of this size of that carton - 1 pint, 1/2 gallon - no difference.

Jelly, you are a way more disciplined person then I. Hats off to you. :carrot:

Well, to be fair, I still get that feeling immediately after finishing my small portion of ice cream of "I want some more" (channeling Oliver here). But I have learned to sit that feeling out. It fades away after about 15 minutes. It's tough, but it's either that or no ice cream at all!

slvrlining8
04-01-2008, 07:40 PM
1. eating a little but really tasting the food makes a world of difference. 1/4c of ice cream eaten with a small spoon tastes just as good as an entire bowl
2. If I don't have starch with dinner, it will not kill me. The same for bread at lunch.
3. Not having the energy is not a good excuse to avoid the gym- you will feel better and have more energy if you keep it up

shalu
04-02-2008, 01:05 AM
1. Dieting is not very diffifult as i imagined..Its just the choice of good foods rather than bad one
2. Exercising is a part of life not a punishment for being overweight..Its good i learnt it finally because of being overweight..Otherwise i would have never entered into a gym.I could really feel how good i feel on those days in which i exercise
3. If the mother in the family is control of the food and exercise the affects the entire family members indirecly and they are also following the same good habits

mandalinn82
04-02-2008, 01:14 AM
I'm going to add three more.

1. Healthy food prepared well tastes better than even my favorite "before" foods.
2. Insomnia can have a lot to do with bad diet and a lack of exercise...and a good diet and regular exercise can do a lot to help it!
3. You never look as small to yourself as you do when looking in the gym mirror.

yoyonomoreinvegas
04-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Sneaking in to add a couple too.

Keeping my "fat" clothes (even in a box in the garage) is like having a safety net that, in the back of my mind, is telling me it's OK if I fall (fail). I'm actually daring enough to work without a net this time.

Three months (or sometimes 3 days :o ) does not technically qualify as FOR-EV-VER! I'm on this journey for the rest of my life so I need to chill and enjoy the ride instead of worrying about how long it's going to take to get there.

Most amazing, turns out I actually LOVE broccoli (even without butter - or cheese sauce)! Who'da thunk it. :D

yoyonomoreinvegas
04-04-2008, 10:16 AM
OK, last one, I promise -

180 lbs with even a little muscle tone looks and feels 100 times better that 180 lbs of nothing but blob :D

horsey
04-04-2008, 01:02 PM
That there's highs and there's lows. Highs when you REALLY get motivated and lows when you don't feel like doing this anymore. Key is BALANCE in weight loss/maintenance and LIFE. We can do what we set our minds to, but gradual progress is best. Be PROUD of accomplishments, what you accomplish in weight loss you can accomplish in other things in life, same process - set goals, stick to them, admit when wrong, apologize to self, and of all ONE DAY AT A TIME.

rockinrobin
04-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Well, to be fair, I still get that feeling immediately after finishing my small portion of ice cream of "I want some more" (channeling Oliver here). But I have learned to sit that feeling out. It fades away after about 15 minutes. It's tough, but it's either that or no ice cream at all!

Can't do it. Can't ever allow it in my house. As much as I love it and G-d help me how I do, I can NOT have it in my house. But, I HAVE had it a couple of times since hitting my target weight - OUT of the house. From an ice cream parlor. In a controlled setting. Ordering a scoop of it. And after I did have it, I couldn't stop thinking about it for a few days. I am SO not normal. Anyway, I'm thinking it will be a long time til I have it again.

I've got 3 more to add as well.

I've learned that:

-I really don't have a round face after all. It's heart shaped. Pointy chin and all. Who knew?
-Guests will willingingly eat the enticing foods that I prepare and thoroughly enjoy and marvel at them and then be shocked to find out just how nutritious they are. So cool.
-High heels are waaaay sexier and attractive then sneakers. (Umm, I think I always knew that though ;))

griffogrubb
04-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Water is a tasty beverage
Who you are is more important that what you look like
Diet and exercise can be fun, you just have to find things you enjoy