Atkins - Atkins Angels Chat 3/31 - 4/6

View Full Version : Atkins Angels Chat 3/31 - 4/6

JerseyGyrl
03-31-2008, 06:23 AM
Good Morning fellow Atkineer's!!

Its a new week!! What are your goals this week? Lets chat Ladies!!!:carrot:

Azure
03-31-2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks for starting up the chat this morning JG! I've got some very specific plans for this week:

1. Now that I've been in ketosis (officially--as per my ketostix) for 4 days, I'm going to STAY there!

2. I'm on Induction-level carb intake, so I'm all about that as well.

3. Tea is great, but focusing on water, too. I need to get in more plain old H2O!

4. I'm also working on replacing most of my Splenda intake with Stevia (now that I've got that darn Aspertame out of my diet!)

5. Hitting the gym! The plan for this week is to get lifting in Mon, Wed, Fri mornings and to get some HIIT and High-Intensity cardio in on Tues/Thurs. Maybe if it's nice, I can have a nice, relaxing walk on Saturday and Sunday :) Moving my body is the plan!

Hrm...I -think- that sums it up. I've also decided to weigh once weekly as a "surprise" for myself. I've been in ketosis since Friday, so I know that any weight I've lost after 161 is actual fat loss, since my glycogen stores are now depleted :D I'm excited to see what next week brings! Yesterday, I was 159.6--I'm hoping for a 1-3 pound loss this week.

JerseyGyrl
03-31-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm hoping the weather starts to improve here soon so I can get back outside for my walks. There's a very nice lake a block from where I live that has walking trails and I'm really looking forward to getting back over there to walk:)

SherryA
03-31-2008, 09:36 AM
My objective is to stay at induction level carbs. To see how much more weight will come off now that the most of the water weight is gone. Planning ot stay strict about avoiding artificial sugar. Scale is up a little this morning. Probably due to Saturday's deviation with sugar free (but not carb free) frozen yogurt. Always weird to me how it doesn't show up the next day, but a day later.

Last night I tried some new recipe because I've been wanting to try some new vegetables. I wanted to find out what celery root tasted like. So I went looking for a recipe that would use it. The resulting soup was so bland that I had to keep adding things to it, spices until it tasted just plain weird, but it never was very good. Ok so much for that!

I need to be drinking more water too. I have been drinking water, but I have to make sure I continue to.

onelife2live
03-31-2008, 09:51 AM
Hello ladies!

My goals for this week are to work out 6 days a week, and REACH induction.

Today is Day 1 for me and I already had Splenda in my coffee, but I know Dr. Atkins wrote that this was fine in his book. However, I'm not a big fan of sugar substitutes so I won't be using it again.

Wish me luck!! I'll be cheering you guys on!

sylvia78
03-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks JerseyGyrl for starting this. Hey there everyone and welcome aboard OneLife2Live. Don't be be afraid to post any questions you have; even if you think they are trivial. Those might be the same questions someone else as and was afriad to ask. Everyone here really wants to see you succeed.

Azure - glad to hear the ketostix are working for you. Just keep doing what you've been doing.

My goals for the week are to get 12 cups of water and exercise everyday. This seems simple enough and it is for week days. But my weekends are not so good. I really have to work on getting enough food/calories on the weekend and drinking enough water. I am usually so busy with some little league/girl scout/cub scout/school project that I forget or push eating to the side and next thing I know it's dinner. This is why my scale doens't typically move between Friday and Tuesday.

And I am positive that my 4 pound drop last week as all fat because the scale as not moved since. Usually if it's water, the scale will go up and down before it settles on a number. Oh yeah, there's another goal, to eat dinner before 9 o'clock.

So, the book Good Calories, Bad Calories are "in-transit" to my local library. It should be there in 2 days. YEAH! I probably should have just bought the book but I decided to wait it out. Right now I am reading "Coronary Heart Disease, The Dietary Sense and Nonsense" by George Mann. Let's just say that I always knew that the source of funding for research could and does have an impact on the outcome but for scientist to ignore results and even disagree with finding because they would lose their funding is just disturbing. This is only after reading the first chapter. I can't wait to see what else there is.

That's my heavy reading. My light reading is "Just a Hint Clint" by Lori Foster and "Hello, Georgeous" by MaryJanice Davidson. Does anyone else have a good book to suggest?

Have an awesome day everyone.

KrisR
04-01-2008, 03:04 AM
Hi all,
My plan....

Exercise - 5 days a week (3 ST plus cardio)
Food- OWL (40 or less net carbs...I've been running about 25/day)
work-I HAVE to get a wedding album finished for my niece.

Oh, and it's time to measure and take a photo. I'd like to post my photos on my blog this month - I'll have a run of 3 over several months - so that should be interesting.

Hoping my GCBC book arrives this week! I'm ready to dive into some new information.

JerseyGyrl
04-01-2008, 07:36 AM
Good Morning Girls!:)

I am lovin' this new forum!! Its so nice being able to chat without all that drama. I've been coming here for a long time and I can honestly say, I've never seen anything like what has been on going around here for the past few months. So again....thank you Suzanne, Leenie & Ruth for our forum!:)

Well...another rainy day here! Welcome to Spring in the northeast!! I'm gonna get outside to walk...it might not be till July...but...I'm gonna do it!;)

I'm off to make breakfast & lunch and get ready for work. Have a great low carb day!:hug:

Azure
04-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Hey, JG :) I had completely missed that thread until something was said in the main chat several days after the forum split. It was pretty shocking! I certainly don't mind having a separate Atkins forum... when Atkins-practitioners want Atkins-specific advice, they don't need to be told that their way of eating is too restrictive or it's detrimental to their bodies. If we read DANDR, we know what Dr. A says about all of the prejudicial "detriments" to eating the Atkins way. If we're going by the book, we're fine.

I'm the first one to say that finding a diet that's right for you, that you can stick to for life, is important. But I'm not going to go into the WW forums or the Calorie Counter forums or the LA Weight Loss forums and tell them that their low-calorie, high-carb diets are detriments to their health. If it's working for them, then who am I to tell them they're doing it all wrong?

Sorry, I feel like I'm getting off-topic. :) That said, I'm glad to have a place to talk Atkins. I'm still checking on that general LC chat thread, though...'cause I do love my girls over there, too--even if they're not specifically on Atkins.

JerseyGyrl
04-01-2008, 09:58 AM
when Atkins-practitioners want Atkins-specific advice, they don't need to be told that their way of eating is too restrictive or it's detrimental to their bodies. If we read DANDR, we know what Dr. A says about all of the prejudicial "detriments" to eating the Atkins way. If we're going by the book, we're fine.

I couldn't agree more and this is basically exactly what things had turned into here. You've been here a long time and you know I've certainly never hidden the fact that I do Atkins by the book. Despite what others may think, I am not an Atkins expert nor do I have a phd in Atkins. I am here to tell of my personal experience with the Atkins way of life. If I wanted to learn about WW, SB, LA Weight Loss or Bodybuilding...I'd go to those forums. When people come to me & ask me specific questions regarding Atkins, I try to respond with accurate information. And I certainly agree with you, a diet that's right for you, that you can stick to for life, is important...BUT please don't say "I'm doing Atkins" when in reality,if your not doing it the way it was written, you've adjusted Atkins to meet your own needs. This is modified Atkins.

I personally feel the separate forums should put an end to the disrespect. If a person chooses Atkins...great! If they choose another plan...equally great! For me, Atkins works and I'm always happy to give the best information regarding the plan to anyone who asks!:)

sylvia78
04-01-2008, 03:01 PM
JerseyGyrl, put on your rubber boots and rain coat and get out there and walk. Be like the postal service, "Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet or hail will keep up from our duties." Or something like that. I have a friend in Chicago who is in a running club. They run every day next to Lake Shore Drive. Even in the dead of winter, during snow storms or rain, as long as the temperature at least 20, they run.

Azure, good luck with the job applications. Don't forget about looking at temp agencies. They do temp-to-perm a lot and may be able to help you.

KrisR, I didn't know you had a blog. I'm going to check it out today.

I think I got about 10 cups of water yesterday and my eating was off. I had two parent-teacher-report-card conferences yesterday after my workout and I didn't get to eat until 4:30. I was starved.

I am glad to have a place to talk about Atkins and encourage others who are doing Atkins, or any other plan for that matter, to share my experiences with certain foods. I will also keep up with the main Carb Counter forum though.

Have a great day everyone!

JerseyGyrl
04-01-2008, 05:02 PM
JerseyGyrl, put on your rubber boots and rain coat and get out there and walk.

This is when my in home walking dvd's come in very handy!;)

aud
04-01-2008, 05:18 PM
. . . Sorry, I feel like I'm getting off-topic. :) That said, I'm glad to have a place to talk Atkins. I'm still checking on that general LC chat thread, though...'cause I do love my girls over there, too--even if they're not specifically on Atkins.

OT for me too azzie - but just will comment that I'll be checking in too, as time & comfort permits . . . LC Chat has been my 1st & last stop for me for every visit to 3fc since joining up & just love the cyber friendships & support - regardless of what plan - or like me at times: Plan-LESS!:p

aud
04-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Hmmmm, A PLAN . . . what a NOVEL idea!:cool:

Not doing well with having unstructured time . . . still laid off 'cause of Parts Strike . . . but AM enjoying the Quality Time . . . need for that QT to equal out to taking better care of myself & not falling into my age old "bad habits."

Think that sums up The Plan . . . do the things I know to do - lead the life that makes me feel the best!

Hey & Hiya Sherry!:hug: Long time no "see!":D I'm at Induction level too . . . made great strides sincer seeing you last and also have regressed . . . I DO feel like I am in much better shape from all the exercise tho!

It was 72 degrees here yesterday - 50 today. STILL gonna grab doggie & head out sylvia - I've often Posted about how I like to get out in all kinds of weather - but lately haven't been taking my own advice!:o Can't walk indoors here @ home like you jg - beyond JEALOUS!:devil:

WELCOME onelifetolive!:carrot: I'll be shootingfor 6 days of exercise this week too - Already blew yesterday off.:^:

Where's your blog kris? I'll be heading to puncies link (I saw the link - Tx GF!:hug: On my visit to Big Sis - I'm happy to report that she's joined the "Name Your Slippers Insanity" hers are now "Mike & Ike!":p) when dd10Tess & I get back from the Y later.

slvrlining8
04-01-2008, 05:39 PM
I need to get back on track this week. It's spring break so I've been kinda lazy- i want to get to the gym hopefully tomorrow and thurs. I've been taking small bouts (30 min each) to clean the house. This weekend I went completely off track- eating cake and bread and potatoes. THe funny thing is, Sunday I went back to induction and I noticed this morning that I've lost 3lbs!!!! I've read in my curves book about reprogramming your metabolism to restart the weight loss, apparently it works. My April goal is to get down to 140, about 5-6 lbs from where I was yesterday. I'm almost there already. yay

SherryA
04-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi Aud, yes you have made some progress! Me I regressed. Almost to my starting point, but I just couldn't stand the idea of going all the way back to square one.

These last two days though... I think I'm messing myself up. Not eating enough for breakfast and probably putting my body into starvation mode. No new losses for the last couple of days. Not that I expect it every day, but if I'm doing true induction I usually do lose a little every day for at least a couple of weeks.

So I must have slipped to a higher level of carbs, or else just not eating enough early enough. I made some soup a couple of days ago that I thought would be low carb, but now I wonder. It had onion and garlic and leeks and celery root in it. It was awful. So yesterday I added a can of tomatoes to it (ground up) and it was better. But no clue how many carbs. I guess I haven't looked up those foods to see what they contain.

Anyway today I'm doing well other than the not eating early this morning thing. I work six hours a day so I usually get off by 2 or 2:30. But if I don't eat in the morning or bring something with me I'm starving by then. Can't be good for me. I have to stop it.

Exercise? What's that? Seriously I've just gotten LAZY. I do quite a bit of walking but that is about it.

Puncezilla
04-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Hiya all,

I hear ya on the breakfast thing, Sherry. I don't like to eat as soon as I get up, usualy have a sort of brunch instead. I'ts hard to get in the habbit of eating more in the AM.

Aud, :D Did I see 28 bud lites? oooohhhh I miss beer.

I got good calories bad calories today from the library, finaly.

I had a OK day today, feeling pretty crapy since I haven't been sleeping. Still not back on the treadmill, but walked around the mall for an hour. And bought some new clothes, frustrating to be between sizes, 12s are still a litle tight and 14s are to big. Realy need some new pants as the ones I have are sagging of my but.

Have a good evening everyone ! :carrot::carrot:

aud
04-01-2008, 10:08 PM
28? ummm yeah . . . being bored 'n crazy ain't the ONLY reason we name slippers around here puncie!:dizzy:

Yes sherry I've made some progress . . . GOT DOWN TO 212# @ Txgiving!!! Holidays did me in & I'm still finding my way back.

HAVE kept the exercise habit - for the most part - compared to other times in my life - so that's the only good thing I have to report.

We were talking about pizza somewhere . . . never have made the cauli-crust pizza, but gotta go search for my all time fave LC Pizza - want to make tomorrow & have in the fridge . . . it is SO GOOD . . . brb

DEEP DISH PIZZA QUICHE

4 oz softened cream cheese
4 eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
1 tbs chives
1/2 tsp Italian or pizza seasoning
2 cups shredded cheese (I use mozzarella/cheddar mix)
1/2 tsp wet garlic or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup lowest carb tomato or pizza sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese
Toppings to taste (I use pepperoni, sausage, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, whatever!)

Preheat oven to 375.
Beat together cream cheese and eggs till smooth (I use a blender).
Add cream, parmesean cheese and spices.
Spray 13x9 glass baking dish with PAM.
Put 2 cups of shredded cheese in dish and pour egg mixture over.
Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes.
Remove from oven.
Spread with sauce and then add your toppings.
Cover with mozzarella cheese.
Bake till browning and bubbly (or however you like your 'za!)
Let stand for 5 minutes or so.

JerseyGyrl
04-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Its a beautiful, sunny day here in the northeast!:) It just occured to me this morning that I'll be on Atkins 4 years next week! Its funny, I don't really think about it much because its so second nature to me. Even grocery shopping is simple....I just avoid the inner aisles with the exception of the salad dressing/mayo aisle. I keep it pretty simple...chicken, fish, veggies, salad, eggs, yogurt & occasionally nuts.
Wishing you ladies a wonderful low carb day!!:)

SherryA
04-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Good morning, the scale is stuck. Not going up, not going down. I guess that is a good thing? The not going up part anyway. Yesterday I made a protein powder and strawberry smoothy. Other than that everything I ate was completely induction foods. At least I think it was.

I don't seem to be (how to put this delicately?) going to the bathroom much. I'm thinking that once my body decides to give it up, that I will lose some more weight. I don't think I'm constipated, just seems like there's nothing there.

Ok enough on that ugly subject.

Going to try and eat an egg before going to work. Maybe that will help me to rev up my metabolism a bit. Can't keep slowing it down.

I watched "Becoming Jane" yesterday. It was about Jane Austen's life. I'm not sure how accurate it was, part of it was like watching Pride and Prejudice so I wonder if those events were really real in her life or if someone assumed she was writing about herself. It was a nice story either way, but without the happy ending you would hope for.

Work again today. Hubby isn't working. Frustrating that. I'm not sure what to do to motivate him. He doesn't really seem to be trying all that hard and I'm frustrated with him. I can't keep supporting us forever, it is costing too much. On the other hand he seems to spend less when we have less so it may be almost a wash. I got a notice the other day that my dental insurance costs for my family is going up, and since it will be nearly a hundred a month, I'm thinking of dropping it. We don't use it anyway because it doesn't pay enough when we do use it, and I hate going into more debt.

So all these manipulations... Ah well.

Azure
04-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Good afternoon, ladies and welcome my Auddie! I missed you the most when I took a hiatus from 3FC...so I'm glad to see that you're posting over here in Atkins-land now that we have our very own place :D

Congrats to JG on your upcoming Atkinsaversary! You're such a HUGE Atkins support here on the LC Forums, and a testament to how LC is a maintainable, sustainable way of eating for life.

Hang in there, Sherry, things will be looking up soon! One thing that used to constantly GET me while I was dieting is if I didn't see the scale move for a few days at a time, I would get upset and frustrated. That frustration would trigger a "what the heck, if it isn't working anyway..." sort of attitude, and before I knew it, I would be face-first in a bag of Oreos. Don't let a stall or the stress in your life get to you too much and if it starts to, remember that junk food won't fix it. :hug:

Wanted to say hey to you, too, Punce! Looking forward to hearing if you're feeling any better today.

--------

I'm doing pretty well today, aside from the fact that yesterday afternoon/evening and this morning my hip is KILLING me. I get a couple days occasionally where I get AWFUL pain in my hips. It's usually one side or the other--never both, but it isn't a specific hip, either. I had awful sleep last night, and I was in excruciating pain trying to get from my bed to my bathroom in the middle of the night (and it's really only about a 7 ft. walk between the two). It's less painful this morning so far, though I'm walking with a slight limp.

I was running late because I overslept, so my first meal of the day happened at 11:30--not ideal. But! I started my first meal with a small salad, so I'm working on incorporating more veggies. I do need to start watching what I'm eating, though...I found myself late-night snacking again last night. NOT because I was hungry, but because I was bored. I need to be more conscious of my hunger level and overall calories. I know Atkins says you don't need to count them, but I still do, just to keep myself in line. My 1500-1600 calorie days have turned into 1800+ calorie nights recently (my Fit Day AVERAGE calorie intake for the last week is 1826). So, I'm going to keep an eye on that. I have a feeling that upping my veggie intake will go a long way to helping me keep my calories in a good range for weight loss. :) I'm also working on keeping my fat intake high--I've been adding oil to things and I've been buying dark meat skin-on chicken instead of chicken breast.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Hope you ladies are enjoying your day!

RubyJan
04-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Hello Everyone --
I have been goofing around for months trying to get my weight situation sorted out, and have found myself only gaining more weight!!! So I think its time to stop all the compromises and lies I tell myself, and just get back on the programme. I did Atkins six years ago (gee....a long time ago), and the two years I stayed on programme were the happiest I can remember -- and once i fell off, I fell into the abyss of self-hatred, etc. and got into major bingeing. I spent a year in OA, and learned (for a while) how to have three meals a day, but I ended up getting sort of creeped-out by the thing -- not having a routine, but having to do the steps, etc. (Wiritng an 80- page narrative of all the things I have done wrong didn't cheer me up, I have to say). Then my relationship of 14 years went the way that these things can do, and I spent some time just bingeing and crying.
From time to time I try to do Atkins, but just don't do it properly, and get all caught up in eating the low-carb foods...
So... I was 124 pounds when I was a successful Atkins Girl, and I am 189 pounds today!! -- 25 of those pounds came on in the last three years.
My committment: NO ATKINS PRODUCTS, NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS, and no way but the 'by the book' way.
Tonight I am going to go and watch the Scorsese film of the Rolling Stones, and in themorning I am starting off with two boiled eggs and some mozerella cheese for breakfast; chicken and one handful of salad for lunch; and sauteed shrimps with pea=pods for supper.
I hope I can check in with this great chat thread as my first week progresses.
Its funny, because I was surprised at how few threads there are on this Atkins part of 3FC -- but reading this set of chat gives me some idea why. Anyway, I am throwing my hat in with the Dedicated Atkinisers.
RubyJan:)

aud
04-02-2008, 01:01 PM
I missed you 2 az & also WORRIED when you were gone LOL! Having a 21 yr old helped me over that - knew you were off finding your own way & having YOUNG FUN!:carrot:

Speaking of YOUNG FUN . . . that hip thing doesn't sound YOUNG or FUN!:( Is the pain in your butt at all? (Seriously-when you said its "not specific" has me worried) . . . my experience being OLD & NOT-So-FUN, thinks this could be a disc in your low back - that's what happened to me anyway.:( OR have you ever hurt your hip?

I've been following your trials 'n tribulations with grad school & so proud that you are rolling with it & making Plan B's Girl!:carrot::hug: Waking up to lunch gives you a good idea of what nite shift is like . . . the main reason I just wake up & slug down a shake - weird hours.

HAPPY ATKINSVERSARY JG!:carrot:

I've been struggling with my eating here in Lay-Off Land . . . emotional/binge/depression &alloftheabove*:cool: . . . I'm thinking that the Atkins Forum is helping me get my Focus Back On . . . love reading the menu's - also just remembered I need to update on the exercise Thread - I'm managing maintain despite my eating woes - by keeping up on the ex & water.

Weighing too much has affected me b4 too sherry - but also now on this lay off I don't have a scale I "trust" (always w/i @ work) . . . so not weighing at all is adding to my WTH eating lately.:( Think when I'm out today - might go by the Dr.'s office & see the damage done.

"Ugly" Subject: I occasionally am taking Ex Lax "Senna Smooth" . . . (off the clearance rack) . . . gentle.

Well, gals that LC Pizza Quiche refuses to make itself - off to my new Housewifely Grind!

aud
04-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Quick Hi & WELCOME rubyjan!:hug::carrot: Think we Posted at the same time . . . I've had similar experiences with Atkins - finding my way back to strict Induction at the moment . . . there is a Menu Thread here in the Forum - its been a real help for me at this point in my journey. Check it out if you find the time.

PS: Can't wait to dee Docu-Stones! Lovemesome Mick!:carrot:

RubyJan
04-02-2008, 01:23 PM
oh, thanks for welcoming me, Aud -- and yes, I think going to see the Stones film will remind me how much better life is when you are fit enough and thin enough to jump around the stage for hours at a time, wrinkles and all. I am cleaning out all the sugar in my house right now, and while I feel scared about doing induction, I also know its the only answer for me now....

Jersey Girl: YOu are such a success -- happy anniversary! Can you tell me how long you have been maintaining, and what your secret of success is?

JerseyGyrl
04-02-2008, 01:26 PM
:welcome: RubyJan!!

This Atkins section of 3FC is brand new (as of 3/28)...hopefully, you'll find it helpful if you're doing Atkins:)

You've come to a great place for advice, support & encouragement!

You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!!:hug:

JerseyGyrl
04-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Jersey Girl: YOu are such a success -- happy anniversary! Can you tell me how long you have been maintaining, and what your secret of success is?

Thank you for your kind words RubyJan!:)

I've been maintaining for almost 3 years now. The "secret of my success" has been staying away from all the low carb junk out there. I stick pretty much with the basics....chicken, fish, pork, occasional beef, lots of veggies & salad, eggs, yogurt, occasional nuts, lots of water. I enjoy walking and do a walk aerobics program that incorporates resistance and light hand weights.

This has been a total lifestyle change for me and I believe that is the true secret to success:)

Thanks again for your kindness. You CAN do this too!!!:hug:

Leenie
04-02-2008, 01:40 PM
:welcome: RubyJan, KrisR, Onelife2live and Slvrlining8

:wave: Girlies.... I actually have a few seconds to stop and wave.

Hope you all have a VERY successful week.

:hug:

Azure
04-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Auddie, I used to get lower back pain, too--but it usually coincided with a flare up of Ulcerative Colitis (I have UC). The pain I have is most definitely in the hips, but it's not a consistent hip and it's usually only one hip at a time. Right now, my right hip is the one hurting. The last time it happened, it was my left. I've suspected for awhile I might have one leg longer than the other...and I really should go see a chiropractor to see if there's anything up with my spine... I've just been putting it off.

Hehe--by "sleeping too late", I meant I got out of bed about 45 minutes before I had to be in class (I got up at 8:15)--so I took a VERY fast shower, got dressed and went to class--no time for food! The negative part was the whole not eating for 3 hours after I woke up! :D My boyfriend used to work the late night shift (he's since been moved to "days"--an 11AM-Midnight shift), and he got that whole "dinner at breakfast time" thing. He told me once about he and his work buddies going out for a couple drinks at 7 in the morning!

I'm glad you're getting back on track, Auddie. I've been putting my meals up here for some accountability--and I was beginning to wonder if I should bother, since I track it in FitDay PC anyway...but since you're getting something out of it and it's keeping me honest, I'm going to keep doing it :)

And a BIG welcome to you, Ruby Jan! Other Atkineers are more than welcome, and I'm glad you found us :) It sounds like you have emotional eating issues (I have in the past, too!) and that's definitely something that's a struggle. You know what way of eating is best for you and your body, and I'm glad you've found your way back to Atkins. :hug:

EDIT: And hello to Leenie! :D

sylvia78
04-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Hey there, RubyJan. Welcome aboard. I am really glad you found us and glad that you have made a decision to make a change in your life. Like everyone else said, you can do this.

:bravo: and congratulations on your Atkinversary. That is such a major accomplishment to lose and then maintain for that length of time. You are my hero! :flow1:

Azure, do you think it could be sciatic nerve causing the problem? I had that problem during the last months of my second pregnancy and ocassionally it happens now. And it would go from one leg to another. If you're going to the doctor, maybe ask to have that checked also.

Aud, I know what you mean about a scale you can trust. I am sure my cheapo Ikea spring scale is off, but I still weigh everyday. It keeps me honest about what I am doing. If you consistently weigh yourself, even with the untrustworthly scale, you have a reference for how much you are losing. So, no matter where you start, losing 2 pounds is losing 2 pounds.

So, this morning I decided that I would do 20 minutes on the treadmill so that I could do the Boot Camp [weight] class this afternoon. I don't feel tired so far. We'll see what happens. And I went over to Costco to get more broccoli and walked by the meats. The beef was looking just so delish, I almost couldn't decide what to get. I am really craving beef right now.

Okay, everyone have a great day.

aud
04-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Sciatic nerve is EXACTLY what my discs ruptured on syl . . . so hoping that isn't what az-haz!:( Suffered for years b4 surgery - pain started in my buttocks then hips . . . alternating sides . . . then hit my left leg all the way down to my piggy toes with a vengeance (symptoms all over the map 4 about 7 years.) Can only be detected with mri.:(

Got the pizza made - it's to DIE FOR . . . YUM! Had to hurry & square the pieces off b4 I DEVOURED - they're safely in the freezer now.:cool:

Off to the library & then the Y again . . . maintaining @ 234lbs . . . got rid of my dysfunctional at-home scale and the one at the Y ($64 a month) actually MOVES on the carpet so don't even bother with . . . Docs office said to come in any time so think I will . . . getting just a bit out of control & need that accountability!

SherryA
04-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Azure Not sure if this will help at all, but I found something recently that I love. Someone I know was telling me about a woman who is quite old, but who was a ballerina all her life so she is still quite limber and can sit crosslegged on the couch. I was impressed. Anyway they then showed me "first position". Well I've never practiced ballet or even had the desire to, but I found that standing in a modified "first position" seems to pull all my back muscles into line and makes me stand up straighter.

What you do is put your feet at a ninety degree angle to each other, with your heels together and touching. Press your legs together. For some reason this seems to pull my back up straight hips alligned everything feels like perfect posture, I pull my shoulders back and my head up high at the same time. The really funny thing about it is that your body then feels like it is in perfect balance.

Then it feels like my hip joints are straightening up and pivoting on a single joiint. Liftine one foot onto your toes while leaving the other on the floor causes a nice "crack" in that small part of the back/hips where the legs seem to join to the body, and then put that foot down and lift the other leg up onto your toes. Try it and see if it helps your hips at all. I'd like to know if other people feel as good doing this simple little stance as it makes me feel.

sylvia78
04-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Aud, "disfunctional scale?" You are a hoot! The Y here costs $70 a month. I thought that was expensive but I guess it is average if you're paying $64. And it's probably better than joining a gym with a committe payment period.

I would really love some of that pizza. But the cheese would have me rolling on the floor in pain and gassing up wherever I am.

Talk to you all later.

KrisR
04-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Hey everyone and welcome to the new people!

I wanted to share a NSV with you....yesterday was my measurement day and I was down 2 inches on my hips! I am just gobsmacked! I had to measure twice, just to make sure. I was also down an inch on my waist and each thigh. Guess my strength training combined with good Atkins eating is paying off. When I get a few free moments, I plan to post a chart on my blog that tracks my change of inches plus pictures that I've taken over the last 6 months.

Also bought my first size 18 jeans in, oh, over 10 years yesterday. Didn't even bring a size 18 into the dressing room because I thought it wouldn't be possible - but there I was.....going back to get the size 18's when the 22 and 20's were too big. What a great birthday pressie!

JG- congrats on 4 years. I remain hopeful that I will be a maintainer this time.

Aud - hope your hips are feeling better. That pizza/quiche sounds yummy.

Sylvia- good job on the exercise!

Puncezilla & Sylvia-have you gotten into GCBC yet? I need to call the bookstore and find out where my copy is....I'm so ready to dive into it. On Jimmy Moore's site, they did a book discussion thread - very interesting but oh, so deep.

Ruby Jan, Leenie, Azure, SherryA and anyone else I missed - Hi!!

I'm off to play with my birthday pressie.....Mr. W bought me a surf mat. Let me tell you, this land-locked midwestie had only been to the ocean a few times until about 8 years ago. I couldn't swim, and was petrified of the water (although I did love it). I can swim now and learning to ride a surf mat is my next challenge! My family totally does not believe this is me. "Who'd a thunk it" is their mantra for me.

Have a great day everyone!

sylvia78
04-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey there, KrisR.

I have not received either the library copy or the purchased copy of GCBC. The library where I asked the book to be sent has been closed for renovations and will not open again until late this month. I can only hope the purchased copy will get here before then, I didn't use rush postal service [who can afford that?]. WTG on the loss in inches. Yeah!

Okay, off the Cub Scout meeting. Have a wonderful night! :grouphug:

broadabroad
04-03-2008, 02:18 AM
Good luck obtaining GCBC, Sylvia! And, Kris - congratulations on your NSV! It's so fabulous when clothes start feeling baggy, or when you can move into a whole new size! I think I get a bigger kick out of that than I do out of seeing the scales move!

JerseyGyrl
04-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Good Morning Girls!:)

Glad to hear so many of you are getting GCBC:) DBF got it for me several weeks ago & in light of his current cholesterol "problem"...I'm finding it all quite interesting. He's beginning to get more interested in low carb (gee, I wonder why;)) I've gotten him the 2 Protein Power books & I ordered George Stella's cookbook Livin' Low Carb. Just by cutting back on bread, potatoes, pasta etc...he has lost over 30 lbs in less than 2 months! I'm very proud of him!!:D I'll keep you all posted when he gets his cholesterol re-checked.

Everyone have a great Atkins day!!!:)

sylvia78
04-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Good morning all.

I changed my ticker because I am up two pounds as of yesterday to 152. I'm trying to keep myself accountable and be honest about what is happening. Luckily I don't feel heavier but I knew the scale would go up. I can say that I am slightly disappointed but I know that this happens when my eating is off, which it was on Tuesday. I shouldn't say say I ate too much but I just felt off all day after eating my lunch really early [12:30], to the chicken/mayo snack at 4:30 [I never snack], all the way to the sliced tomatoes I had for a 9:30 snack. I usually have lunch at 2:30 after I workout. And the snacks were good/acceptable foods but I just felt weird. I am hoping that by Sunday the scale will go back down but you know how that goes. I am going to really focus on my weekend eating and make sure that I am eating often enough and getting my calories and water. This will be a challenge.

Have a great day or evening depending on your location.

aud
04-03-2008, 10:17 AM
'Morning AA's!:carrot: Hmmmm . . . feels like I should follow that with "My name is aud . . . ":^:

Anyhoo, Angels . . . joining rubyJ & thinking of today as the 1st day of putting together all the things I know . . . have been in a rut of 1 out of 4 . . . 2 out of 3 . . . you get the idea!;)

The therapist had me doing that ballet move when I was recovering from the disc surgery sherry! It did stretch & put me "in place" - the other one that also felt good & that azzie may want to try is standing against the wall . . . pressing the curve above the buttocks flat against the wall by slightly bending the knees/shoulders on the wall too . . . & then sliding on down the wall as far as comfortable/feeling the back "go into place" . . . & then back up flat - slowly. To this day, I still do that one in my office on hectic nights @ the plant.

I got spoiled @ the Y when my older dd was working there p.t. syl . . . only $21 per month then . . . not sure if I'd have belonged otherwise . . . we have a full gym facility @ my work . . . but now dd10 is totally in love with advancing in the swim levels . . . & thinking of playing volleyball . . . so there I am & looks like there I will stay!:D Spending the $$ to belong DOES make me go - it HAS come in handy while I'm on this lay off too.

I WANT baggy clothes again Kris & BaB!:mad: *stamping chubby foot*

Doesn't it drive you just an eencie bit insane when men can lose 20 & 30 lbs by just cutting back on bread & potatoes JG? My fairly slim dh would never think of "dieting" - but when his cholesterol #'s jumped up in his 50's & the cardiologist suggested trying this cut back instead of drugs - he took off 20#'s by cutting the "starches" & #'s NOSEDIVED by the next check!*insert jealous emoticon*:D He's basically "on LC" & doesn't even know it - all he cares about is that he LOVES REAL BUTTER! HA!

Dark as twilight here . . . moooore rain . . . me & the Insane Westie are getting out in it . . . ttyal!

JerseyGyrl
04-03-2008, 10:47 AM
- but when his cholesterol #'s jumped up in his 50's & the cardiologist suggested trying this cut back instead of drugs

Aud...this is what infuriates the heck out of me...this Dr. NEVER suggested trying to cut back on anything to DBF...he immediately pushed the Lipitor!!! Without going into a long, drawn out production...he was basically told "your cholesterol is high...a prescription for Lipitor has been called into the pharmacy" To add insult to injury, this was his first visit to this particular Dr. and he never did get to see or speak with him...everything was done via the "physician's assistant". Needless to say, I was less than thrilled with the entire way this was handled and thank goodness, DBF has no desire to see this Dr. again. He recently learned the blood bank where he gives blood, does free cholesterol testing so, he will be having it re-checked there:) With his weight loss and total change in eating habits, I expect it to have improved. He's going shopping for a bike this weekend:carrot: I am very proud of his accomplishments!:D

SherryA
04-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Good morning girls. Well my scale finally dropped a little today. That makes 11.5 pounds since last Monday. I fully expect it to be back up tomorrow though. I didn't eat much yesterday. I had two eggs for breakfast, and that kept me satisfied for most of the morning and at lunch time (3 o'clock and after) I just wasn't sure what to eat so I had a strawberry and didn't eat much else for an hour or two, then found some left over salad from the day before and put some Ceasar dressing on it and ate that. I expected to have dinner, but fell asleep before anyone cooked so my meals yesterday were practically fasting. Not enough water either so today I up the water and start with two eggs again. Keep myself satisfied maybe for longer stretches and maybe I'll keep losing.

I doubt it though. That is the one thing about low carb I like. I don't count calories, but I can tell that I eat way fewer calories when I eat high protein. Some days on LC I get really really hungry, but yesterday I really wasn't all that hungry so I'm sure it didn't hurt much to eat very little.

Anyway I'm pleased to see that other 1.5 pounds go away along with the little bit of gained weight I had on there. 2 more pounds and I will be up to the losses I had the first time I did induction. I was blown away by that loss of 13.5 in a week and a half. Of course I did induction much more strictly that time. Wound up in VERY deep ketosis and by the Wednesday after first starting felt so weird I had to intentionally up the carbs. Of course that meant immediately falling out of ketosis and no further losses during that induction time.

This time I'm much more used to low carb and haven't had those weird symptoms.

Anyone else ever had that? Where you get so cold you have to cuddle under the blankets to get warm and even then it is hard? Like you are starting to get the flu? Just from low carbing I mean? That is how I felt the first time I did induction about a week and a half into it. I think I had that once more after that time, but I don't recall when exactly. I think I determined that my water level was too low, maybe elextrolyte balance too.

Anyway it didn't feel good in spite of the weight lost.

Have a great day everyone.

Puncezilla
04-03-2008, 09:13 PM
:cheer2:Happy Aniversary Jerseygyrl !!!:cheer2: I wouldn't go back to a DR like that either, it's hard to find one that realy cares and isn't just trying to make $$$.

Aud, When I started lowcarbing my DH lost ten lbs just because I made him stop eating junk infront of me. He still ate crap when I wasn't arround. It is infuriating, we have to struggle for every lb and they can lose it sooooo easily.

Kris, Inches lost is fantastic, going down a size is such a wonderful feeling! I got GCBC from the library and started it yesterday.

Az, I saw your post on podcasting. Great idea. would love to listen if you do it. I find I do better with the nuts and PB if I eat them early in the day rather than the evening.

Sherry, 11Lbs is fantastic!! I have hungry days and not so hungry days and I think it averages out. I don't like to force myself to eat if I'm not hungry either. I think it only has a negative effect if you stay to lowcal for an extended period of time.

Sylvia, I'm sure it will be gone again right away, Some times theres just no reason for the fluctuations on the scale. Good for you being accountable.

Hi everyone else. Fay, Leenie, :wave: Welcome, rubyjan.

Feeling better today, managed to get some sleep, still on induction except for the few nuts I had this morning and last night. My internet's not working very well so I can't post much, Just stopping in to say all is well. Hopefully I will have the problem fixed soon.

sylvia78
04-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Puncey, hope you work out your computer problems. They can really be a drag.

SherryA, congrats on the weight loss. Keep up the good work.

Aud - Good evening AA, I'm Syl and I'm addicted to carbs.

JG, I too am absolutely infuriated that men can do one simple thing and lose. That SlimQuick commercial always cracks me up.

Hey there KrisR, BroadAbroad and RubyJan. Hope you all are doing great.

For today's exercise, in the morning I decided to get in 20 minutes of treadmill. It turned into 18 because my legs were just so sore from yesterday's boot camp. In the afternoon I did a 30 minute abs class. Now this is the kicker. I was going to get back on the treadmill after the abs class but my legs were hurting so bad, I immediately got off. My friend and longtime co-worker said no way, get back on. She had me do her training which is increasing the grade by 1 every minute to the treadmills highest grade and then decreasing the grade by 1 every minute back to zero. I only went up to grade 10 but apparently this particular treadmill goes to 15. I got a good sweat, too. I am going to do that at least once a week. I still want to up my running endurance.

Off to Girl Scouts, ta ta ladies.

broadabroad
04-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Morning, folks! I too am awash with envy of the menfolk who can just drop weight by cutting out bread! Ack! Still, my scales are showing some hopeful signs of dropping htis week...I keep telling myself that my end-of-April goal is 212, so I shouldn't be fretting too much, but it's hard not to get emotionally tied up with the scale. I don't think I'm doing too badly, but there's no denying that it puts a smile on my face when it HAS gone down!

Sylvia - bloody well done you! Colour me intrigued by this increasing-the-gradiant approach - and impressed that you got back on the damn machine even though your legs were feeling like spaghetti! Now I feel like a wuss for not moving up to Week 2 of the C25k program - I had a crack at it on Sunday and concluded that I'd rather keep on with Week 1. (Which is still definitely better than the simple brisk walking I would be doing otherwise.)

sylvia78
04-03-2008, 11:27 PM
My legs were hurting before but they feel like jelly now for sure. This particular co-worker has lost over 100lb and still has a ways to go. She works out 3 times a day. :eek: That's a bit much for me. I'm only doing the two times a day right now because I am trying to do two different things. I walk/run in the morning for 20 minutes and 40 minutes weights/abs/kickbox in the afternoon. That's a total of 60 minutes. Totally doable. But I am soooooo sore right now. I hope I can walk in the morning.

I looked up that Couch-2-5K and it looks great! That is great that you stuck with it for a week. Just go on and start week 2 next week, girly. I know you can do it! :hug:

By the time everyone reads this it will be morning. So, have a great Friday everyone!

KrisR
04-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Hey everyone!

Took a new class at the gym today - pilates. I'm not sure I'll be able to move tomorrow or not either! It was a good class though and I think I'll take it again next week (it's only offered 1 morning a week).

Also had my first day out with my new surf mat in the ocean. OMG....I had a blast! The waves were small today, which was good for a newbie. I can't tell you when I have laughed and grinned so much. I didn't even care that there was an audience on the beach watching me. A total blast. Who'd have thought a 49 year old woman could have so much fun with a blow up toy? :o)

Have a great Friday everyone!

RubyJan
04-04-2008, 01:29 AM
Morning Everyone:

Well, I did my first day, and am feeling very pleased with myself, and am ready for day two....I am going to my Pilates class this morning -- 7.30 start --and can tell you, KRIS, that PIlates is the most wonderful thing. I have been doing 2 classes a week for about a year now, and my back has stopped hurting entirely, my posture has improved, and I think it really calms me down, as well. I hope you keep going with it -- it takes a little while before you really feel the changes. . . but they are worth waiting for.

Ruby

broadabroad
04-04-2008, 06:43 AM
I looked up that Couch-2-5K and it looks great! That is great that you stuck with it for a week. Just go on and start week 2 next week, girly. I know you can do it!

Heh. BLESS you for your confidence, but I'm sticking with week one for a while yet, I think. In fact, this is my THIRD week of doing Week 1 - I'll likely do it for at least one more week. I'm absolutely good with doing that Week 1 thing for as many weeks as I wish, because it's still better than the half hour of brisk walking I'd be doing otherwise. I'd far rather build my confidence by sticking with something that I can, and then progressing in gradual increments as my weight drops/fitness improves etc, rather than try to go faster and end up dropping out.

Because I don't know about you guys, but I have 34 years of associating exercise with nothing but failure and humiliation. So afaic, babysteps is FINE. So long as it gets me where I'm going! :)

Ruby, you make Pilates sound very intriguing!

JerseyGyrl
04-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Good Morning Ladies!:)

TGIF!!! I don't know about you all...but...I'm glad its Friday!!!:carrot: I'm just looking forward to a little relaxation. Weather isn't supposed to be great tomorrow but...Sunday is supposed to be nice & sunny.

I've always enjoyed walking & doing my walk aerobics. I actually enjoy exercising this way which believe me, is a HUGE plus for me! I ordered 2 new dvd's and am looking forward to trying them out!!:)

Everyone have a great Atkins day!!!:hug:

SherryA
04-04-2008, 11:09 AM
TGIF--sort of. Today is my long day. I work six hours at my regular job and then 4 hours I stay with a friend (and get paid). She's old and needs someone with her to help her to the bathroom. Otherwise we usually just talk. Once we went out shopping which sounds fun, but considering I have to help her get in and out of a wheel chair and in and out of the car, is work, not just fun. So I like Fridays because it means the weekend is almost here, it is also a day of extreme work for me.

Hubby isn't employed right now and I'm the sole breadwinner. Plus I have a million other things I'm doing with my congregation and with the kids and the home, so I feel like I'm running constantly. I need more support from him and I tried telling him that yesterday. He doesn't know what else he can do, and I have to admit he is trying to get work, and is trying to help out around the house. So I don't really know how what I want to be different, but maybe it is the emotional support I need. He gets upset and walks away when I try and talk to him about it. I guess he feels criticized.

I feel like I've taken on his role and he's taken on mine and I just hate that. I don't want to be the "husband" in the family, and to be honest he doesn't make a good "wife".

So it is a struggle. The economy is bad the kinds of jobs he has done in the past aren't as available right now, but he could take on SOME work and at least relieve some of my stress. To be fair he does have some work lined up for the first three days of next week, but that isn't a JOB, it is just a temporary thing.

Anyway I am glad the weekend is here. I deviated last night from strict induction foods. We had "goody night" at our meeting and everyone brought something. What I brought was all induction friendly food, but some of what else was there wasn't completely induction. One person made nachos with corn tortilla rounds and beans, cheese and a pickled jalapeno slice on top. They were good, I had about 3 or 4 of them. I made a Mexican dip which was layered with beans (on one half of the pan on the bottom) and avocado, and salsa, and sour cream and then cheese on top. We ate that with the nachos and veggys I brought. Someone else brought fresh strawberries. So it was mostly Atkins friendly, just not induction level.

Anyway the scale was up a pound today which isn't too bad, I expected worse considering I'm sure the day before I was both dehydrated a bit and also didn't eat enough food. Dinner last night was pork chops and fresh green beans. Brunch was two eggs. So I guess I didn't do too badly yesterday. I also ate one quarter of an orange. I thought maybe I needed the Vitamin C.

Probably I will find that within a couple of days my scale heads up a few pounds. It always does after any deviation. Not sure why, but it is only temporary. Seems to have to do with hanging on to more water.

My body is feeling much smaller. My pantyhose actually pulled up over my stomach yesterday, they have been so tight that I've had to wear them below my belly bulge, but they fit well, so I think my butt and stomach have both shrunk a bit.

Anyway girls have a great weekend, I have to go to work now, and start my long day.

Leenie
04-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Good Morning Atkins Angels :hug:

TGIF !!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim, I have a few LC cook books.. when I get home I'll post their names on the other thread you created........ geeeze for the life of me I can't remember the names ((((brain fart))).

Peace ;)

aud
04-04-2008, 12:27 PM
My name is aud . . . and I'm a carb-a-holic too, sylvia!:D

Hey syl, have you ever seen the Nickelback Rockstar vid on youtube? Saw the "just won't eat" in your sig.:dizzy: The vid is my Absolute Fave Ever.:carrot: Love all the reg folks mixed in with celebs . . . It's also sobering 'cause I think my Teen Hero ~ Sweaty Teddy Nugent actually has DENTURES now.:( If you haven't - I'll link later. Congrats on the jelly leggedness . . . I gotta get there . . . you've really inspired me to PUSH IT today & get off Perpetual Coast, ya know?

HURRAH for Kris-n-Ocean-Pilates-surfmat . . . which I was wondering wth? about! It's a blow up toy?:?:

FEEL BETTER & get PC fixed puncie!:hug: I was LOST w/o mine - must admit!

JG: The same Cardiologist who told dh to "cut back on bread & potatoes" to lower his cholesterol (which it did!:cool:) told ME, that "Dr. Atkins hasn't been studied enuf & his diet plan will kill you.":D My insurance changed so we didn't see him again.

I feel ya on being "the husband"/"breadwinner" sherry! Believe it or not, it doesn't make it any easier that my dh is disabled from a brain tumor/aneurysim rather that the sucky economy.:o Stress is unbelievable & crushing.:(

C25k is my secret dream fay . . . need to quit talking about it & make it a reality like you have!:carrot: The program appeals to me precisely because of the way you are doing it: AT YOUR OWN PACE & repeating the weeks as needed. Just Awesome.

CALLING AZZIE: How's the hip?

JerseyGyrl
04-04-2008, 12:59 PM
JG: The same Cardiologist who told dh to "cut back on bread & potatoes" to lower his cholesterol (which it did!:cool:) told ME, that "Dr. Atkins hasn't been studied enuf & his diet plan will kill you.":D My insurance changed so we didn't see him again.

If Atkins kills people...guess that means I should have been dead about 4 years ago!:smug:

I didn't mention yesterday that DBF was told his cholesterol was high after he was given a stress test that indicated "absolutely no signs of heart disease, blockage etc.) and then in the next breath was told he MAY have something called LV (Left Ventrical Dysfunction) & to see a Cardiologist! When he saw the Cardiologist, his reaction was basically "Ummm...what are you doing here?? Your tests are fine". But...to pass the buck even further, the Cardiologist suggested he have a vascular screening...which he did not have. Its called CYA & $$$!!!

sylvia78
04-04-2008, 03:32 PM
TGIF!!

SherryA, congrats on the pantyhose. Isn't it just great when something fits a little looser/better. You keep it up.

Broad, it took me much longer to move from 2 minutes running to 3 minutes running. Let's say a month or so. I just ran 3 mintues straight this week. You haven't given up and that's is the really fabulous part. Did you ever read Jemima J or any of Jane Green's other books?

RubyJan, I really loved pilates when they were offered at the gym here. It is so very relaxing.

KrisR, totally knarly, dudette! Next thing you'll be writing about catching waves on your surfboard.

Jersey/Aud, you know it is always about the moola baby. Oh, and the perks. I mean, who is going to pay for those island "business" trips if the doctors don't push the drugs. And sending someone for unnecessary testing is just another way of inflating healthcare costs. Who do you trust anymore?

Aud, yes, I absolutely LOVE that video. I have it as a favorite on my computer, so I can see it anytime I'm in the mood. I also have Bon Jovi's Make A Memory. This song really touched me. And I know what you mean about our idols getting older. I think it helps you realize you are old when the DJ calls your favorite song from high school or your twenties an oldie or a blast from the past. Isn't that lovely.

Azzie, when is your podcast going to be up and running? I'm waiting with baited breath. :hyper:

Have a fabulous weekend Angels! :grouphug:

Puncezilla
04-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Well my internet is working momentarily anyway, don’t know what’s going on. I am totally lost without it too, I feel all anxious and weird. I have to make my posts short or it freezes before they go through.

I haven’t been on the treadmill in weeks so I’m getting back on today. Also have to make DH some cookies. Always so tempting. But I’m feeling good today so I’ll be OK.

Kriss, I’m so envious of your fun in the ocean, what great exercise too. I love the water but don’t live near any.

Sylvia, I just read Jemima J, how are her other books? I’m in the mood to read something funny if anyone has a suggestion.

As for DRs I’ve been told so many times I just need to watch what I eat or I’m just lazy , I’m afraid to even go to DRs now. Took forever to be diagnosed as celiac and hypothyroid. It’s like they see a fat person and that’s all they see, so that must be all that’s wrong with me.

Way to go Rubyjan! Getting through the first few days is the hardest then you’ll feel great!

sylvia78
04-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Jane Green's other books were good too. For fun, you can try MaryJanice Davidson's Undead series [Undead & Unwed, Unemployed, Unappreciated, Unreturnable]. These are about a vampire queen and all her drama with trying to be normal. Hilarious.

Oh, and there is always Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, One for the Money, Two for the Dough. She is up to thirteen, plus a few between the numbers books. I am always ROFLMAO! Once I fell off the couch and there was the time I was crying on the bus becasue I was laughing so hard. Stephanie Plum is a Jersey girl, too!

Glad you asked. Let me know if/when you need more recommendations. I read a lot.

RubyJan
04-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Well, it the end of DAY 2, and I feel more confident that I am going to make it through tomorrow as well. I think I ate to much today, but it was all induction food....feel a it ill in my stomach from all that protein, but its been amazing to not have hunger pangs -- and I did drink lots andlots of water today. I had a lamb steak tonight again, and I think I need to move to some fish for the rest of the week.

I know it must be terribly tough on the money front these days. I have my job as an academic, but in London the prices of everything are skyrocketing -- gas and electricity and all that have gone up by about 30% in the last two years, etc etc.

Went to a 90 minutes Pilates session this morning, and will do 60 minutes of cardio tomorrow when I wake up. I figure keeping the exercise end will help me get going with induction.

Off to sleep now -- good evenings to all of you.

Ruby

sylvia78
04-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Just an update.

RubyJan, way to go on completing Day 2. That is just awesome. The slightly ill feeling could also be your body reacting to not having it's usual fair of flour and sugar. It takes a few days to get over that. So don't worry if you find on Sunday you are still feeling odd.

GCBC came in the mail and the library called to say the book was being shipped to my alternate library branch. Go figure they would both come at the same time. I got a great price for the book with shipping, better than Amazon, through abebooks.com.

Ta ta.

aud
04-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Not a particular Kid Rock Fan ~ but LOVE HIM in the video, syl! SEXY with that nasty cigar! I recognize a lot of the people in it - but not sure on some - so keep watching it.

Yeah, I need to go back to work!;)

I've been thru all the Steph Plum's on audio - LOVE!

The Mid-Life Fat Cell & how I'm tricking it boils down to soy . . . which I only am getting thru my whey protein powder at the moment.

Still haven't made it thru my "fun" audio's - Jackie Collins stuff . . . may over the weekend.

Sounds like Larry has good insurance JG . . . like I used to have.:( The dollar signs lit up each office visit when I walked in the door . . . I think seeing all the different specialist (cha-ching!!!) DID help me with peace of mind tho', ya know?:p

Finishing up the rest of todays water intake . . .

RubyJan
04-05-2008, 03:34 AM
Hello from London -- Well, its DAY THREE, and I woke up with a terrible headache, and feeling so...tired and headachy that I am skipping the gym this morning. Just had a breakfast of two sausages and an egg and had my third day of coffee without any sweetener -- I think I will be able to get the hang of it after a while, and I feel so totally proud that I have been able to do it -- but the thought of a life without any sweetness is a bit depressing... I suppose when I get to add some berries I won't feel so soggy.

The miracle is that I don't feel hungry, since I have been ravenously hungry this past year - in fact, I gained 20 pounds this last year that I think mostly came from my cake and chocolate binges.

I love reading everyone's post about their daily triumphs and challenges.

Its Saturday, but I am going to spend the day in the British Library, working on a chapter of the book I am writing now -- its about poetry and astronomy in the eighteenth century. I have to have most of it written by September 1, and need to pick up the pace on writing.

Hope you all are going to have good weekends, Ruby

KrisR
04-05-2008, 04:14 AM
We've got quite the little international forum going here, don't we? RubyJan is starting her day in London, I'm getting ready spend the evening in front of Rugby and then head off to bed just as the American gals are getting their day started!

Went 'surfing' again today. I'm telling you.....it is so much fun! Waves were bigger today and I got dumped a few times, but this chubby 49 year old is having a blast.

Enjoy your Saturday everyone.

broadabroad
04-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Did you ever read Jemima J or any of Jane Green's other books?

I did! Thanks so much for the rec - I LOVED Jemima J! (And, OMG - I am she! It's quite disconcerting!)

RubyJan - superb! I'm awash with envy at your day spent in the British Library. You know, I've never been inside - it had been completed while I was living in London, but I never went in, and for a hardcore bookworm like me, that's rather shameful. I like to imagine it's like the Reading Room at The British Museum, though. Hang in there, though, girl - after a couple of weeks on Atkins, you'll be ASTONISHED by the way you feel! ;)

SherryA
04-05-2008, 11:24 AM
RubyJan hang in there, this feeling will pass. It is a result of your body switching over from burning carbs to burning ketones. Make sure you drink plenty of water and take your multivitamin. You might want to make sure you get some extra potassium right now. That is the one thing that you may get deficient in during the early days of Atkins. It is peed out. Once you are past the first few days potassium isn't as much of a problem, but if you get charley horse pain in your legs at night during these first few days make sure you get potassium. That will cure it.

Sherry

sylvia78
04-05-2008, 11:53 AM
KrisR, I read your post about the cravings. :hungry: Have you eaten anything different, like something from a restaurant or diet foodlike stuff? Unknown sugars in marinades can sometimes cause cravings to surface. Just look at what you've been eating lately and you may see the culprit of the craving.

Well, on the way home yesterday, I decided that I wanted diet lemon/lime soda. Can you guess what happened? Yes, the bloating that I get when I drink diet soda. To top things off, I was down 2 pounds yesterday and today they're back. I know it's bloating because of the soda, but come on, can't the diet gods give a girl a break. Nah, I can't ask for a break. I knew what would happen, thought about that as I was pouring the glass and I drank it anyway.

However, my weekend did start off great. I had sausage and eggs for breakfast. I have short ribs and chicken legs under a dry rub in the frig for cooking later.

And, I'm going to take my DD7 out to the park for a walk/run while my DS9 is at the warm up for his game. I just don't know why I didn't think of this before.

:dust:This is going to be a good weekend for us all! :grouphug:

Azure
04-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Okay, I'm back! I just posed over in the LC Lolitas chat thread, but I wanted to update my Atkins Angels (I love all this alliteration!). In hip-related news, it's feeling much better. It's only slightly noticeable and I suspect that tomorrow it will feel like normal again.

I'm going to mention adding Peanut Butter back into my diet as being a bad plan. I LOVE this stuff--especially all by itself. I try eating it out of the jar with a measuring spoon to keep my portions in check, but it doesn't really work out. I feel like I've lived off of PB the last few days.

I'm still in ketosis, in spite of all that, but I suspect when I weigh in tomorrow, I won't be able to report a loss (and maybe I'll report a gain!). PB is great: low in carb, high in fat and moderate protein, but it's very caloric. Even in ketosis, eating too many calories will result in no weight loss or some gain (Jimmy Moore wrote about it this week). So, the nuts are going out the window once I finish up this jar of PB, then it's back to Induction basics for a week. If I'm feeling adventurous after that, I might add in some strawberries.

Anyway, I still need to focus on more veggies. My whole life I've never been big on them, so I'm doing my best now. :) I think new and exciting ways to have cauliflower is saving me!

If you're interested in my future podcasting venture, I posed a question in the LC Lolitas chat thread :D I'd appreciate any imput you have about topics.

broadabroad
04-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Is it regular peanut butter, Azure, or unsweetened?

Azure
04-05-2008, 02:06 PM
It's natural PB (Smuckers brand), so unsweetened. The ingredients are: Peanuts, salt.

sylvia78
04-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Azure, I can't wait to hear the first podcast. This is just so terrific!

Edited at 8 pm PST:

Hey, everyone,check out Azure's new thread with the link to her very first Low Carb Lolita Podcast!

Way to go, girlie!

KrisR
04-06-2008, 02:58 AM
I can't wait to hear the podcast too! I'm downloading it right now but we're on dial-up so it takes FOREVER. Might have to do it overnight. Azure....you really DO go for things quickly! I could certainly take a lesson from you.

Oh peanutbutter.....my former friend......I could seriously just sit down to a jar of peanutbutter and gobble it all up. Seriously, I look at it longingly everytime I go to the supermarket. For me, I think it's tied to my childhood....it is totally a comfort food.

Cravings are gone today. I looked at my food and don't think I have had any hidden carbs/sugars. I think what it comes down to is that I simply like to eat. I rarely eat because I'm hungry and I've always said that I never did get a 'full' switch when I was constructed at the factory.

Cheers-

RubyJan
04-06-2008, 10:46 AM
HI everyone:
Yup! its day 4 and I got through Day3 okay -- and amazingly, when I woke up this morning, I felt a gazillion times better! Thanks for the pep talks, and for the potassium idea from Sherry.

I got to the gym this morning and did 60 minutes of cardio -- including 20 minutes of the rowing machine, which I have recently introduced into my cardio routine. And I have been spending the rest of today watching the SNOW that has been falling for hours here -- yesterday it was in the 70s and today its SNOWING -- pretty scary, really.

Broadabroad -- Yes the BL is very like it was in the British Museum, which is where I used to do my research. But the new Library is grand and calm and much easier to use -- I love it: its my refuge and my source of inspiration. I feel entirely envious of you living in Bangkok! WOW -- thats a big move, isn't it? Have you been there long?

AUD -- I would love to hear your podcast, but I don't understand how to find it. Where is your thread?

So -- thanks so much to all of you for getting me through the first 3 days... I am going to weigh myself on the morning of Day 8 --

Have a lovely Sunday where-ever you are.

Oh yes, Jersey Girl, when did you first starting eating yogurt? I never imagined being able to have yougurt -- I know I can't have it during induction, but . . . .

Ruby J.

sylvia78
04-06-2008, 02:53 PM
RubyJan, congrats on making it to day 4. I empathize with your weather delimma. I am from the midwest where it can also go from sunny to snow to rain within a couple of hours. Now, I am in the land of no weather changes for months on end. There have been studies about how lack of sun can effect your personality. I would like to see a study about what too much sun can do to you. It is actually depressing. The weather people were promising me rain all week. We got sunny and cold wind.

SherryA, the first few weeks of induction are the hardest because not only is your body adjusting to no sugar/flour but your mind has to overcome this addiction also. It will be a great day indeed when you are able to look at the smoothies and treats and just say no. Yesterday I made pumpkin bread muffins with my DS9. Today, I'm making pumpkin parfaits with my DD7.

I don't have same affinity for PB but raw, unsalted almonds, macadamia, brazil nuts and sunflower seed? I absolutely cannot control myself. I have some in the house right now for the kids and I keep looking at them. But what keeps me from eating any is that I am still 25lb away from goal. This time I want to make it to goal. I have about 15lb to loose before I move to pre-maintenance. I'll have to slow my weight loss even further. That is scary to me.

JerseyGyrl
04-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Oh yes, Jersey Girl, when did you first starting eating yogurt? I never imagined being able to have yougurt -- I know I can't have it during induction, but . . . .

RubyJan,

I added yogurt in the pre-maintenance phase of Atkins. There are only 2 types of yogurt I eat....Dannon low carb/low sugar yogurt sweetened with Splenda and occasionally, Fage greek yogurt. Everything else has too much sugar & too many carbs! I eat yogurt everyday as part of my breakfast.

I believe yogurt is a YMMV (your mileage may vary) issue. Its never affected my weight loss. You might want to have a look at this: http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/yogurt.html

broadabroad
04-06-2008, 09:29 PM
RubyJan - whilst Yogurt may be a no-go area, you CAN (perverse though it seems) have sour cream. Which is pretty darned similar! And once you're out of induction, you can have sour cream with a dash of sweetener and some chopped up fresh strawberries! (Or indeed clotted cream, for that matter!) I'm fond of making pancakes out of eggs and ground almonds (and maybe a little protein powder), flavouring them with cinnamon or with a dash of orange essence, and serving them with chopped strawberries and cream. No way does THAT feel like it's diet food!

Broadabroad -- Yes the BL is very like it was in the British Museum, which is where I used to do my research. But the new Library is grand and calm and much easier to use -- I love it: its my refuge and my source of inspiration. I feel entirely envious of you living in Bangkok! WOW -- thats a big move, isn't it? Have you been there long?

Oooh, the British Library sounds LOVELY. The moment I found Kinokuniya, the largest English-language bookshop in town (we're not talking Waterstones Picadilly branch, but think about a normal, respectable-sized Waterstones), I had a real moment of weight-coming-off-my-shoulders, and knew I could stay in Bangkok indefinitely. I spend FAR too much money in that place.

I've been here for a year and a half now - I teach primary kids in one of the International Schools here. Before Bangkok I was in Cairo for 3 years - now I loved Cairo, but in terms of bookshops (well, and actually access to shiny Western goods in general) Bangkok is just SO much easier.

Plus - Thai food! YUM!

Shrinkmfs
03-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Thanks Jersey Girl for all the ongoing help and support you always provide for everyone. My goal this week is to get re-motivated-I initially lost 6 pds and have been not sticking to plan as much as I should. So this week, I am back to the gym my usual 4 times-was sick this past week and only went once. I am also going to eat more simple meals and not use the low carb cookie mixes, etc. that got me off track. Thanks for being there.