Nutrition and Labeling - Do you take a Multivitamin or other Supplements?

SoulBliss
03-30-2008, 07:31 PM
What is your way of eating and do you take any supplements?

I eat vegan, whole foods, low carb.

I take Rainbow Light Just Once Women's One Multivitamin/Mineral. I break it in half and take it with food at different times of the day.

I take chromium picolinate and have just started taking L-carnitine and L-glutamine again.

I love L-theanine (for anxiety relief) and occasionally take it.

A few times a week I take an Emergen-C MSM/Lite packet with water.

I need to replenish my calcium, magnesium and potassium supplements and get going on those again too.

There are so many more things I take on occasion but these above, I have been in the habit of taking regularly.

What about you?

oreokitty
03-30-2008, 08:06 PM
I take
vit c/am & pm
multi B/am
pantothanenic acid (B5)/pm--suggested by You on a Diet
calcium/magnesium + D/pm--suppose to aid in sleep
chromium picolinate/am
fish oil/am & pm
vit E/pm
Zinc/am
cinnamon supplement/am **

**Cinnamon is said to be great at stabilizing blood sugar which I guess Chromium also affects.

I take meds for nutrition/weight loss and depression supplementation, but it is so easy to get obssessive and go overboard.

Amy

mandalinn82
03-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Edited to Add: I'm a calorie-counter that goes between weight loss and maintenance mode, depending on how stable the scale is. Emphasis on lean proteins, high fiber, lots of veggies, moderate fruit, and whole grains.

I take:

A One-A-Day Women multivitamin (even though, based on FitDay, I'm hitting my vitamin/mineral targets just about every day without it)
Acidophilus - 2x per day
If I have trouble sleeping, I sometimes take some Valerian extract.

SoulBliss
03-30-2008, 09:02 PM
You reminded me...I forgot to mention probiotics!!!

Suzanne 3FC
03-30-2008, 09:24 PM
I take fish oil capsules, a good daily multi-vitamin, and 100mg CoQ10.

SoulBliss
03-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Which multivitamin do you take, Suzanne?

zenor77
03-30-2008, 10:51 PM
I eat mostly vegetarian food with the occasional meal of fish or free-range organic chicken. I try to eat whole foods and buy mostly organic.

I take

~3 fish oil capsules, Spectrum brand

~4 multi-vitamin capsules (one serving), Nature Preferred brand

I also use my neti pot daily to keep my allergies at bay.

SoulBliss
03-30-2008, 11:02 PM
I also use a Neti pot and eat whole foods and organic. :)

Darkblue
03-30-2008, 11:18 PM
I take one Centrum multi-vitamin each day, along with glucosamin/chondroiten for my osteoarthritis.

SoulBliss
03-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Zenor's the only one mentioning an eating plan. :o

I'd like everyone to chime in, I'd like to see what/how people eat and what supplements they take in conjunction with that, please! :carrot:

zenor77
03-31-2008, 01:15 AM
I also use a Neti pot and eat whole foods and organic. :)

You know Neti is a LIFE SAVER for me! I try so hard to avoid chemicals in food that I feel bad taking OTC medicines that I'm not so certain are good for me, so I avoid them as much as possible. Neti pots should be stressed as daily health care, like brushing your teeth. :D

SoulBliss
03-31-2008, 01:22 AM
You know Neti is a LIFE SAVER for me! I try so hard to avoid chemicals in food that I feel bad taking OTC medicines that I'm not so certain are good for me, so I avoid them as much as possible.

I agree. I am all about prevention and not just masking symptoms.

Neti pots should be stressed as daily health care, like brushing your teeth. :D

Yes, brushing your teeth with Jason, Kiss My Face or Weleda, preferably. ;)

JasonsLea
03-31-2008, 03:19 AM
I do intuitive eating and take all of the below daily:

(1)Equate Women's Multi

(2)1200mg Fish Oil Capsules

(1)250 mg Magnesium Capsule

karmuz
03-31-2008, 10:26 AM
My eating plan is whole, unprocessed foods, organic as much as possible, with an emphasis on healthy fats, loads of veggies, and I have a sensitivity to wheat so i avoid it as much as possible. It won't kill me, but it effects my allergy symptoms so I do my best.

In addition,
I take rainbow light's women's nutritional system (a 6 a day multi, but i only take 3)
1 teaspoon daily of carlson's cod liver oil (lemon flavored, straight, i don't mix it with anything, i'm hardcore :) )
a 1 daily probiotic

I also occasionally take super nutrition's think clearly (ginkgo + aminos and b vitamins. helps with the brain fog i get when i DO eat wheat)

murphmitch
03-31-2008, 05:28 PM
I eat South Beach diet. Daily supplements that I take are:

Centrum Silver-Don't want the iron in other vitamins since I've had a hysterectomy.
Salmon Oil from Vital Choice 1000mg/ day
Glucosamine/Chondroitin 1500mg./day for mild arthritis
Daily aspirin
Zyflamend or Turmeric Force
Calcium 500mg/daily

I love going to the healthfood store and reading up on supplements. I have tried chromium in the past but didn't see any results for increasing muscle mass. I also took DHEA supplements last year (recommended by my nurse practicioner with bio-identical hormones), but quit taking it also. She said it would help energy levels, but I haven't had a problem with that since losing weight, exercising and getting my other hormones worked out.

cbmare
04-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Where do you get probiotics? I haven 't seen them. I've heard of them.

I do plain ole calorie counting plus WATP.

I take 1,000 mg of Vit C daily
1 multi w/lutein. When it is gone, I'll go back to the ones for old ladies
1 fish oil capsule
1 for my joints
calcium

Suzanne 3FC
04-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Which multivitamin do you take, Suzanne?

I take Dr. Weil's daily multivitamin.

I eat a vegetarian meal plan, though I can't call myself a vegetarian because I refuse to give up my fish oil. Also, I will eat the occasional piece of fish, maybe once every two months or so. I love lots of veggies and choose organic when possible, and eat as natural as possible.

mayness
04-01-2008, 11:12 PM
I eat just about anything -- meat, dairy, grains, any fruit or vegetable out there. Obviously I try to eat mostly unprocessed foods, but I eat a little bit of "junk" regularly (candy, alcohol, fast-food french fries, whatever). :)

I take:
multivitamin (generic brand, usually)
B-complex for energy
slow-release iron

I started the iron by my doctors recommendation, and after a few years they decided I didn't need it. But about 6 months ago I was really lacking energy and started taking it again, and I feel a difference. Just wanted to explain, I don't recommend taking iron without asking your doctor! It can have some digestive side-effects and hardly anyone needs extra anyway.

I've tried to take calcium, too, but I just can't remember to take vitamins more than once per day!! And it doesn't do any good if I take it at the same time as my multi, since that already has as much calcium as I can absorb at once.

mountain mama
04-02-2008, 03:47 PM
I take
-Daily one women's vitamin with iron, Calcium, Magnesium and Beta Carotene.
(half in the am, Half with Dinner)
-Body Sense Metabolism bootser made with bitter orange extract, Yerba mate extract, Cayenne pepper, and green tea extract (2 each morning)
-Body Sense fat and carb blocker made with cassia nomame and gymnema (20 mins before each meal)
-5-htp (with breakfast and lunch)
-Evening Primrose oil ( am)

The other additional supplements I try to get natural through the foods I eat, teas I drink and whatnot.

I good book for supplement info is 'The bodysense Natural Diet' I highly recommend it!!!