100 lb. Club - Sugar, Butter & Subway

View Full Version : Sugar, Butter & Subway

wendymeows
03-29-2008, 07:03 AM
I'm doing ww at home and since I don't go to the meetings, I'm missing out on some info so I thought I would ask here.

Yesterday, I bought some white tea and tried to drink it without any sugar at all...yuk! I'm from the south and we love our sweet tea (which I have not had since March 1) So what sugar substitute is best? There were several options at the store but I sometimes hear they can be bad for you in other ways so what are you using?

I've been using ICBINB spray which has worked fine but is there another butter out there that we can use that is good for us? Once again, there were many options and I didn't know which way to go.

Lastly, I love subway and have been thinking about a sub real bad lately. So what is the low down on ordering a turkey sub from them? My points book does not include what you can and cannot put on the sandwich. Normally I would order a foot long turkey on white with extra mayo, american cheese, lettuce, tomato, black olives, oil but no vinegar. So what should I change or do without to make it healthy?

JayEll
03-29-2008, 07:40 AM
:wave:

I think Splenda is the best, but it's not calorie-free. Very low in calories, though!

Another thing you could try is just slowly cutting down on real sugar. I used to drink sugar in my coffee, but no more--I got used to it, and I don't even like it sweet now.

I think the ICBINB spray is your best bet. I never use anything but real butter myself--I don't like synthetics.

First of all, get a 6-inch sub, not a footlong. No mayo--try some mustard if you like that flavor, or just omit. I'd leave off the cheese as well. The veggies are OK. I'd have oil and vinegar because they don't put on much oil. Salt and pepper, you're good to go.

No chips, needless to say! :nono: :lol:

Jay

HarpoChicoGroucho
03-29-2008, 07:55 AM
I never liked Splenda, and it's a bit abnormal, due to its popularity. When I sweeten my tea or coffee, I use 2 packets of Sweet N' Low and one packet of Equal. I think it's perfect, for me anyway. I sometimes use a couple of spritzes of the spray on my frozen veggies, but I don't need it, I like the way they taste on their own. I didn't at the beginning; it took me awhile to like the taste of veggies. I don't go to Subway often, but if I do, I get the 6 inch grilled chicken on the honey oat bread with no cheese and some of their sweet onion sauce on it and loads of veggies. I think I looked it up and it was around 400 calories. It's too high for me for a sandwich, so I usually don't go there. If you want to save on calories, get one of their low carb wraps with turkey or chicken with no cheese and one of their lighter sauces. And lots of veggies!

Steelslady
03-29-2008, 07:57 AM
I love Sweet Tea as well, so I use either Stevia or Splenda. I have found that with the Stevia, my mind isn't in a fog anymore since I've started to use it in place of the Splenda, but the Splenda really tasted great in my sweet tea. Stevia is also good, but I use less of it because it is very sweet.

At Subway- I get the "Mini Subs" from the "Fresh Fit For Kids" menu. You can check here for more information as to what's in them and the calorie amounts:

http://www.subway.com/applications/NutritionInfo/nutritionlist.aspx?id=sandwich

findingfawn
03-29-2008, 08:44 AM
I have switched back from artificial sweeteners to regular sugar... I have just cut back. When the studies came out a bit ago that the artificial sweeteners could actually be making us fatter, that did it for me. Hubby drinks soda at work.. I switched him from a can of diet a day to a can of regular... so far he hasn't gained any.

I agree with the ICBINB spray being the best one, though I don't use it, just try to stay away from butter for the most part.

At subway I get a 6' chicken breast with no cheese, all the veggies and honey mustard and lite mayo. I'm not good with dry sandwhiches and I hate mustard... so I accept the fact that I have to eat a few more calories there. Subway is kind of like a staple in my house. It's the cheapest take out for my family, plus hubby's aunt runs the one near our home, so we get discounts.

rockinrobin
03-29-2008, 08:55 AM
Watch out for those butter sprays. It says it has zero calories, but that's for one serving. Multiply those servings and those calories will add up. In case you're curious, the entire bottle contains 900 calories and 90 grams of fat!

I use Splenda. I usually have 2 cups of tea a day. It really fills my stomach and I enjoy it thoroughly. I know Splenda is not the best thing in the world, but neither was my being morbidly obese. I tried the plain tea and I could not get it down my throat. So for now, it's Splenda for me.

traci in training
03-29-2008, 09:44 AM
I like sweet & low for tea and stuff. It's different than sugar, but like diet pop, you adjust.

I eat real butter, but I do buy it whipped. I don't eat a lot of it, but I'd rather have a little bit of the real stuff than a lot of the fake stuff and honestly, it's all fat and we have to watch how much of any of it we eat. I agree with Robin about the spray - I've seen people "hose down" a baked potato with the stuff and it's just oil running around on the plate. EWWWW!

Subway sandwiches are yummy and they're low fat, but those big buns have too many calories for me. I get a salad there - they have great spinach and they'll pile on the cukes and tomatoes and peppers and onions if you ask them to. With the chicken breast on it and veggies, no cheese it's 140 calories. They have FF Italian or I just have them put some of their sandwich vinegar on it and a tiny bit of oil. It's good.

nelie
03-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Does subway do 'skinny' subs? There is a place around here that scoops out some of the breading innards of their subs so that you have the same flavor/texture but just less bread and less calories.

Get n healthy
03-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Subway works well for me, as opposed to the quick grab alternative...mcdonalds or something. I LOVE subway to keep me in line. Just dont forget to get the wheat bread instead of white. But i cant eat a sub wo mayo...luckily my subway offers light mayo...see if yours does...mine also offers light cheese. (sweet onion chicken terriyaki is my fav)

Someone suggested their wraps....BIG YUM. They are low carb too i think.

About sweeteners...i cant stand the after taste of splenda...my goal this week was to try to drink tea wo sugar....i am a southern girl as well. Tea wo sugar is like a hamberger with no beef, ha ha. But i am getting used to it. Hoping if i get used to it...real sweet tea will taste like syrup eventually.

I have seen a lot of people on this site recommend Stevia from health food stores to sub for sugar, but i dont know how it tastes.

Luminous
03-29-2008, 10:30 AM
The wheat bread is basically tan white bread. It has very little whole grain in it and its nutritional profile is nearly equivalent to all the other white breads on the menu.

I wish they'd sell a whole grain bread. :rollpin:

bluex
03-29-2008, 11:26 AM
I use splenda, I like the taste the best and I am not convinced it's harmful. I also read some article that said artificial sweetners keep you fat, but heck it is not the case with me. I think it's the fact that so many people think that cutting out sugar will help them lose weight but the only thing they change is going to a diet soda. That isn't going to help anyone lose weight. You have to change the entire way you look at food.

Being a low carber, I don't do subway. I agree about the bread, even the wheat bread is very high in carb and has barely any fiber. I remember going to one of their places and getting a low carb wrap and finding when I got home that it spiked my blood sugar. I just looked at their website and looked at their menu and couldn't find a low carb wrap, and their wraps have as many if not more carbs than the bread. Panera around here used to be the only place you could find low carb bread. NO longer. I rather enjoy making my own sandwiches at home.

Lyn2007
03-29-2008, 11:50 AM
I drink a lot of green and white tea. I hated it at first and had to add a lot of sugar (last summer). I just gradually cut back until all I need is a half tsp. Then I switched to locally grown honey and I just add a tiny amount, not even a half tsp. My allergist recommended having a bit of local honey every day because some studies show it can help tame your seasonal allergies.

At Subway, the veggie sub is surprisingly filling. The honey oat bread has 50 calories more than the wheat bread (for a 6") so I get the wheat. I skip the cheese and it doesnt seem to affect it much. I get the fat free honey mustard and as I eat my sub, I leave a lot of chunks of bread uneaten (just tear off a big chunk here and there and leave it). That way I only eat about 3/4 of the bread. They also can make any sub into a salad.

Meg
03-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Blue, you're right about the Subway wraps. They quietly removed the LC wraps from the menu and substituted regular wraps that have more calories (310) and carbs (51) than their 6" bread. Pretty sneaky. :s:

Slashnl
03-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Hey, just a quick comment about butter. I prefer not to use butter substitutes because of the "plastic" nature of their ingredients. I think the whipped butter is a good idea, too. I was watching Food Network one time and the host took the sticks of butter and whipped it himself. That way he could still keep it in the refrigerator, but it was easier to spread when needed. The reason I mention it is that the sticks of butter are usually a little less than the whipped butter, if you care. And, up to that point, it never occurred to me to whip my own butter. What a concept!

Get n healthy
03-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Wow, i did not know that about the low carb wraps being replaced by crummy run of the mill wraps...BUMMER.

Their wheat bread is not the greatest i agree, but if you compare the two it still has less sodium, more fiber, and more protien (although a small amount of benifit in any of these categories...) but i am fiber freak, so i will take more fiber anytime i can get it. But a WHOLE wheat would be a great addition.

Purplefirefly
03-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Subway is a staple with me, it replaced McDs, and is a huge step forward even if the wheat isn't completely wheat bread (I don't limit carbs though, so it depends on your eating plan). I get turkey breast on wheat, tons of veggies, and honey mustard (its fat free and not high in calories). I feel this is a much healtheir alternative when I have to eat out, way better than anything on the fast food menus, and it fills me up.

xGurlyGrlx
03-29-2008, 02:03 PM
I use sweet n low in tea myself. I also use agave nectar but it has 60 calories in a tablespoon. I don't mind it but some might. I also use splenda on occasion and exylitol. I think exylitol is the closest one to sugar and even has the same consistency. It's a big NO NO for dogs though - incase you have a dog. It can be toxic to them.
As for butter, I use Smart Balance. I have used it for years and I like the taste. I don't use it often at all...but when I really want it...I have it.

Not really sure about Subway. It is not really on my plan so I stay away. I think you would be okay ordering what you normally would...but instead of a 12 get a 6 - no mayo - no cheese- and add a bunch of veggies. :dunno:

Darkblue
03-29-2008, 02:17 PM
I never use artificial sweeteners--I can't stand the taste and I'm not convinced they are safe at all. Same for "spreads" or sprays. I'd rather have a small amount of the real/natural thing, than lots of artificial chemicals.

As for Subway, I get the 6" or the kid's size turkey and ham club on honey/oat bread, as it has the most fiber. I get a small amount of low-fat mayo, no cheese, lots of lettuce, tomato, pickles, black olives, and a splash of red wine vinegar. Yum!

dgramie
03-29-2008, 02:43 PM
I love subway for a fast food alternative. I have found that I am hungier after eating it. I will get a foot long and save the other half for the next day.I have noticed that i crave carbs so bad after eating subway. I think eating that much bread makes my body just want it that much more.

I love butter spray but I do not over use it. I love it for making a grilled cheese sandwich..
I use splenda but I tend to just use sugar..a teaspoon of sugar is only 16 calories. I think I can use 16 calories in order to enjoy my cup of coffee.

Lyn2007
03-29-2008, 07:46 PM
I was at Subway today (they have any footlong sub for $5... teenager heaven) and it said on the sign, "try our NEW wheat bread with 4g fiber per 6"."

So maybe they are making some improvements.
BTW I got the oven roasted chicken breast on wheat, no cheese and no sauces... and had her pile on lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onions, cukes, olives, pickles, pepperoncini. When I got home I added my own 20 cal/T mayo. I ate half (310 cal) and saved half for tomorrow.

Slashnl
03-30-2008, 11:30 AM
In another thread one time, someone said that they ask the subway people to pull out some of the bread on the inside to make room for the meats/veggies. She said that they might look at her funny, but she gets the sandwich without all of the bread. I thought that was a good idea unless you have a line of 50 people waiting behind you. :)

bigtxmomma
03-30-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm a huge fan of Smart Balance. I usually get the light kind to spread on my toast. It's 45 or 50 calories a tablespoon. Earth Balance is pretty good, too, but higher in calories, I think.

I'm a Splenda fan. Also, the article I read about why artificial sweeteners might cause weight gain is because your body expects more calories than it receives, so you tend to eat more later to make up for the lack. But I'm pleased with my weight loss while using Splenda and drinking Diet Coke.

As for Subway, I think eating out is risky wherever you go. At this point, I don't even worry about the calories. Because whatever you get, it's going to be WAYYYY too many calories. I just plan on eating a third of what I get, slowly, drinking tea or whatnot in between bites, and boxing the rest up.

Lyn2007
03-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Oh and for butter I use:

ICBINB spray if all I want is a bit of buttery flavor
butter flavor extract (like vanilla extract) for buttery flavor when I am baking something (like fat free cornbread)
Real butter in my vegetables (like lima beans... maybe just a tsp)
and finally... Land O Lakes Light Butter with Canola Oil (50 cal/T) on toast or english muffins.

SoulBliss
03-30-2008, 01:34 PM
I like erythritol, xylitol and stevia.

Earth Balance and extra virgin coconut oil are my "butters" of choice.

I don't eat at Subway. DD likes the veggie subs and they are low calorie when ordered as listed on the "healthy options" menu (I don't know what it's called).

Trazey34
03-30-2008, 03:05 PM
I used to love sweet tea too so now i make my own -- I cheat and for a biggggg biggggggg jug of it i put in a few heaping tablespoons of frozen lemonade! It adds about 10 calories per glass (not that much) and a lot of sweetness and zinggie! I also cut up some lemon slices & orange slices and give them a squish in it too :)

As for Subway, lots of great ideas already - lose the mayo and full fat cheese, add on a TON of veggies, get a whole wheat bun (I ask them to cut most of the bread out of the center, it saves a ton of calories and i just pretend 'oh i hate bread can you just scoop some of it out") good luck! oh and way to go on picking subway where you can actually get a few veggies instead of McD's or something!

cheetara
03-30-2008, 11:55 PM
FYI, their nutritional info does not include mayo/cheese/oil, so if you decide to keep them, add points.

Also, it's all too easy to be heavy-handed with the oil - you can just ask for oil packets on the side. 1 packet=9 mL=2 tsp healthy oil.

Angihas2
03-31-2008, 12:58 AM
I also stick with the real deal with butter and sweeteners. I use honey for the same reaosn already mentioned, allergies. Locally harvested honey is a fantastic way to help aid in dealing with allergens and a tiny amt to hot tea sweetens it perfectly.

I also have them scoop out my bread or just pick it apart at the table. I do that with most foods we eat out of home now, though, let them bring it to the table and start disecting it.

Gela
03-31-2008, 01:15 AM
I love splenda. I also love Torani sugar free vanilla syrup (made from splenda and there are many other flavors) for smoothies and my coffee. I also use ICBINB spray but also have smart balance light. They are both delicious and I never go over 10 sprays because I read somewhere that 10 sprays is actually 12 calories. Funny enough I have only liked the healthier subs at subway. My sub is a 6 or 12 inch turkey on wheat with mustard, black pepper and all the veggies. Yum! You can also get a salad if you don't want the bread.

traci in training
03-31-2008, 07:05 AM
Adding lemonade for sweetness is a great idea! I think that's the "Arnold Palmer" way, isn't it?

Switzie6
03-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Land O Lakes Light Butter with Canola Oil (50 cal/T) on toast or english muffins.
That is what I use for butter also. I really like it and it's only 50 cal per tbsp and I usually only use half of that.
I'm am working on cutting out artificial sweeteners so I am using Stevia which is more natural. I use honey in my hot tea in the morning, I love it that way more then sugar or any sweetener.
I agree with what alot of people have said about Subway. It's a good alternative to fast food, you just have to watch what you order. I personally like my subs with mayo (not a mustrad fan) so I get their lite mayo and ask for a small amount. I get cheese if it fits in my calories for the day and load up on veggies. Definitely 6" not 12" and sometimes (depending on calories I have left) I will get baked lays with it. They are about 140 cal for the bag.

BrandNewJen
03-31-2008, 02:33 PM
I cannot LIVE without my butter spray!!! It may or may not have a ton of fat or calories in it... but even SO it's better than real butter in terms of calories. Not like I'm using a full bottle of it at a time... I wouldn't eat HALF the veggies I do if it weren't for that little taste of butter on them.

As for subway... gotta say, NOT a fan. I eat there and I am just RAGINGLY hungry an hour later. I don't think their subs are very filling at all, I think their bread is kinda stinky, and I just don't think it's worth the money. And YES I do get a ton of veggies on my sub when I go. However--- I do LOVE their sweet onion teriyaki... I would love them to sell it for salad dressings in the grocery store!!!! yummm!

BattleAx
03-31-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm not a fan of Subway, artificial butter, or artificial sweeteners! I can see Subway is a decent option in a pinch when out, but it's not something I would seek out, personally. Subway's bread and meat aren't the highest quality. I like the foods I buy and prepare myself ahead of time to be ready when I'm feeling rushed. Right now in my freezer I have containers of different kinds of soups, cooked, portioned meats, cooked, portioned mashed potatoes, and much more.

Can't do the butter spray AT ALL. I am very sensitive to the artificial smell of the fake butter in margarine, spray, popcorn, you name it. I'm staying away from articifial ingredients/chemicals.

I'm a fan of real foods in controlled portions. It has worked for me.

However: if these items/products help you stay on plan, great--eating them has to be better than being morbidly obese. We all make tradeoffs to handle busy lives and individual tastes and preferences.