Old 03-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #1  

Height: 5'10

Default counting calories in oil

I have a question for you guys.

Do you count the calories in oil?

I used some olive oil to make chicken in the oven for a whole grain tortilla but I want to know weather I should have counted the calories in the olive oil.

The bottle says that a tbsp of olive oil contains 120 calories but there was almost that much left on the pan when I was done cooking.

I'm confused on what to do
sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #2  
Out of town

S/C/G: 138/115/113

Height: 5'5"

I definitely count the calories in oil because it's soooo calorie-dense. Remember that was left in the pan was only partially oil - it was also partially chicken juice (LOL, can't think of a better phrase for it).
skinnyminnynow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #3  

Height: 5'10

^darn LOL.

I guess nonstick cooking spray for me!
sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:12 PM   #4  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Watch out for nonstick cooking spray as well. Some will say zero calories for something like 1/3 sec spray. I use a canola oil spray that is 10 cals per second. So a couple of seconds is 20. If it was labeled 1/3 sec I would still likely use 2 secs but count it as zero.

It's not a big deal, but something to be careful of. I use it when roasting veggies, where I may use as much as 5 seconds (50 cals), but still faster to coat them than trying to get a little more than a tsp of oil distributed.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:25 PM   #5  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

I do think you need to account for the oil cals but exactly how many cals remain in the pan vs. how many are now in/on the food - - I can never figure this one out either.

I do know that even though oils have high cals -- isn't like 120 per tblspn? -- that using these oils isn't a bad thing. I usually use EVOO or Safflower oil. Both are cold pressed which is better for you. I also find that when I'm doing some veggies, I use the nonstick spray stuff mostly but do add in a little EVOO. The fat helps satiate and satisfy me longer. The veggies seem to cook better too. Oh, and instead of just pouring it out of the bottle I got a cruet which only shakes out a few drops at a time. Makes it waaay easier to control how much I'm using.

Last edited by Hat Trick; 03-28-2008 at 11:26 PM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:48 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I just count however much I use and divide it among the portions. So, if I cook three chicken breasts in 1 TBS olive oil, I count 1/3 of a TBS oil if I eat one breast. Or if I prepare 4 servings of green beans and dress them with 1 TBS of olive oil and spices, I count 1/4 if I eat a serving.

If anything this is an overestimate, but I'd rather be over than under.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 03-29-2008 at 07:48 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #7  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

I do count the calories when I use oil. I have taken to not using it unless I have to. For things like chicken breast or pork loin chops if I can't put them outside on the grill I put them on a non stick cookie sheet and throw them under the broiler for a few minutes. I haven't had trouble with them sticking to the pan. For veggies I usually steam them and eat them without butter/oil.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I count calories in everything.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I got a new set of pots and pans (nonstick) absolutely fabulous! Most often I put in a drip of olive oil and wipe it out. And I don't count that.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #10  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

This is in the current (3/30/08) issue of Parade magazine.

"OLIVE OIL
Olive oil contains monounsaturated fats (which reduce inflammation), phenols (cancer-fighting antioxidants) and vitamin E (which lowers the risk of heart disease, protects skin from damaging agents, and prevents nerve damage). Cold-pressed, extra-virgin oil contains more phenols, and its vitamin E is undamaged.

COOKING TIP
Gently sauté vegetables in it, drizzle it on salads or use it in pesto."
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote