Old 03-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #1  

Default Hello and Introduction

I have been reading posts on 3 fat chicks for years, and I have never actually posted myself. I know that I am ready to join this community, however, and I have finally accepted that I can't make life changes on my own. In addition, I have had many (not so great!) experiences that I think could benefit others.
My story is probably a lot like many of your stories. Ever since I was a little girl, I always loved to eat. I just enjoyed food; I remember eating whole bowls of peanut butter mixed with chocolate chips and having boxes of twinkies in my room. I was always tall for my age and never had a significant weight problem. However, when I was 12 I went to camp and an overweight girl in the cabin identified me as the "other fat girl." At the time, I was 5'6" and 143 (not to mention, only 12, which is not a good age to be overly concerned about weight, IMO). I immediately began counting calories and lost twenty pounds. My mother was concerned and had me see a therapist. I gradually stopped obsessing, although food concerns were always in the back of my mind.
In high school, I swam and was tall and very normal weight; about 5'10 and around 150 pounds. I felt good about myself. I still did strange things, like eat all of my daily 2000 calories (or whatever) at once, etc., but for the most part, I didn't have any serious issues about food. My junior year of high school, I was an exchange student to France for 11 1/2 months. They joke with exchange students that "all exchange students gain weight," and I became obsessed with not allowing this to happen to me. Over the course of the year, I lost 40 pounds, and came home around 115 (WAY too thin for my frame.) My parents, who where experiencing marital issues at the time, both freaked out when I returned home emaciated but did not address the problem effectively (and I was not exactly easy to deal with) and I lost 10 more pounds. I stayed anorexic through my first year of college. Then I became bulimic, non-purging. I briefly tried using ipecac to throw up but it scared me and made me sick. Instead I would fast for days on end. I took a semester off of school to address my food issues, and saw a therapist, doctor, and dietician. I improved somewhat but then the fall semester I was to return my mother committed suicide. I took another year off, then transferred colleges. During that year off I gained all my weight back (got into the 160's). I would say that I have struggled with binge eating disorder since then. I have had so many "last binges" that I can't even count. I'm 24 now, and this is ruining my life. I have spent literally thousands of dollars on diet related products, even in the last year- at least $5000, I would say. I want to lose weight to feel good about myself, but also learn to be healthy. I have always been a loner. I live with my boyfriend, but he really doesn't understand. I've spent years in therapy, and I feel like I have many insights into why I do what I do, my triggers, etc... and yet the habit is so ingrained I'm having a really hard time stopping. I feel like sharing my experience with others and reaching out for help (while also offering my self for help) might be the best thing I can do. I have purchased enough Medifast product to last for months (I have a tendency to hoard....don't ask ) and I really want to succeed at this. Yet, I have not been able to make it past the first couple of days without "blowing" my diet, going crazy, and gaining more weight. Does anyone else on this thread identify with my experinces? Any questions? words of wisdom? I really respect all of you and look forward to being part of this community.
eaconstantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:12 PM   #2  

First off, welcome! Glad you decided to post your story. I think everyone of us dealing with weight issues can relate on some level. I figured up the other day that I had been obese for a over 10 years of my life. I too have tried countless diets and failed everytime. I am to the point that this is it for me. I thought about how much time I have wasted over the past 10 years worrying about what diet I was going to, what I should have eaten, how many points/calories, feeling guilty about what I ate, etc... Yes, dieting is so hard but worrying about being fat is hard too. This is a bondage in my life. It has to be broken and now is the time to do that!

I have been doing Medifast now for about 5 days. So far so good. I feel more in control this time. I hope that you find a plan that will work for you whether it be MF or something else. There are a ton of different boards for support. Everyone on here is very supportive and "gets" the issues when it comes to dealing with weight. Hang in there and keep your head up! You can do this!
wnt2bthnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #3  
184/173/140

S/C/G: 184/173/140

Height: 5'6

I hear ya! Love the description "bondage". I really think I want even more then being thin is to stop thinking about being thin. I don't think 5 min goes by w/o me thinking of food, diets, calories, carbs, size etc....I want to wake up one day and simply be free of those thoughts. Maybe one day! I guess all we can do is just keep on truckin.....

May the force be with us all....
Stac
stacyann5500 is offline   Reply With Quote