Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 03-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #1  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Finding a bra...

OK, I'm having some issues determining my bra size...

I currently wear a 40D. However, it just doesn't sit "right" (the band is a little loose). So I tried a 38D, and the cup was too large. A 38C was way too small. A 40C fit kinda weird...

The last time I was measured at V Secret, I was a 42D. After some weight loss that was too big.

Anyway...I used one of those online bra size calculators, and it told me I was a 48AA. O_o

So...is there a different method for figuring out plus size bra sizes?
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I understand your issue. I am in ready to buy a new bra but I dont have any idea what size to get...mine are 44DD but the cup is huge and big around. I guess i will jsut go and let them measure me. I hate to pay alot of money for a bra right now seeing how fast Im loosing. I guess it will be worth it for the girls not to be sagging...lol good luck
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #3  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

I would suggest going to get fitted by a pro. If they're worth their salt, they'll take your measurement and bring you different sizes and styles bras until you find something that fits. I personally don't do V-Secret, because their bra sizes run small--and I'm in a DD. For really hot bras, I use Fredricks of Hollywood (not sure if there's one near you), and they do measurements and I've found the women there are VERY nice and willing to help. They carry size 32 A--42 DDD ("F" in their sizing), so there are sizes for all sorts of body shapes.

That said, most lingere departments of large chain stores have someone to measure you and help you find something that fits. There are also specialty stores where bras are what they do--I'd look around! Bras are super important--they make you feel good, make you look good in your clothes, etc. They're worth spending a little extra time on finding a really good one--and maybe paying a little extra for it! Fredricks prices are really reasonable (less pricey than VS, certainly) and I buy exclusively from them for every-day bras. Sports bras I get at a sporting goods store and it does take a bit of shopping around to find a good one of those!

Just like how you might be a size 13 in one brand of jeans and a size 14 or 12 in a different brand...I think bra sizes are equally variable from maker-to-maker and even style to style from the same manufacturer. So, just take a deep breath, prepare for patience, and I'm sure you'll find something that'll work for you!

Last edited by Azure; 03-28-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #4  

Guh. This is the reason bra shopping is my LEAST favorite part of being a girl. (Yes, even TOM ranks higher on the enjoyability scale for me.)

I'm hoping that I lose weight in some magically linear fashion so that I can easily find bras at some point in the future. My current bra-finding methods include "grab an armful and see what works" and "find the ugliest bra in the store, it will probably fit."

Anyway, not much helpful info from me, just some commiseration! Good luck, I hope you find something that works out for you!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 212.6/149.6/150

Height: 5'3"

I definitely recommend a fitting at a lingerie shop. I haven't had any luck trying to get fitted at regular dept. stores. I was wearing a 38DD, and discovered I was a 36G! But I can't believe the difference a well-fitted bra has made-it even makes me look like I lost another 10 pounds!
PJS145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #6  
No description available.

Another shout out for Frederick's. I've found the staff there to be very pleasant and professional as compared to another well-known chain.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Some of that "shape wear" can be good too, some are both bras and a tank top type thing. Covers that back fat too. I went with a minimizer for awhile, there's one by Olga that's great if you are full figured (I'm about to buy one in a few inches smaller but same C cup). I don't like being "big" on top personally so I minimize, maybe if I lose more weight I wont' need a minimizer anymore though... for now it's a smaller minimizer at least.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Olga's Tapestry bra... that's it, Just reminded me to order another one. It was on an Operah show or something and has high ratings...
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:19 PM   #9  
SkinnyGina

Height: FiveSix

Default Cacique

Even though Lane Bryant typically offers sizes 16+, you can find bras ranging from all sizes. Cacique I find is a great brand and feels very comfortable while providing great support. I was measured there and the ladies were so helpful, bringing me different styles and sizes to make sure I was happy. I would give it a try
SkinnyGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I would suggest getting fitted every single time you go bra shopping! Even little things can effect "the girls."

For instance, I went off bcp recently and I went down a whole cup size!

I'm really liking jockey bras right now. They designed them so all the support is in the band. So you don't end up with the straps digging into your shoulders. The woman who fit me actually had me put it on, take my arms out of the straps and put my arms above my head. The bra didn't move. It was neat to see that. Plus, the under wire ends at the breast tissue, not in your armpit where it can poke you.

I'm a big fan of Outlet Malls for bra shopping. There will usually be a Jockey and Bali store at the outlets and sometimes Vanity Fair. They are a lot cheaper then buying in department stores, which was really important during weight loss for me. I went through a lot of bras really fast!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:03 PM   #11  

Height: 5'9"

I was measured at Lane Bryant and they're so nice.
Nay75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:32 PM   #12  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Ugh. Hate the idea of bra shopping, the actual shopping ((shudder)). I live in a small town (what 6 degrees of seperation - we've got 2 at most). Anyway, I don't love the idea of being fitted for a bra by some who's daughter went to preschool with me, so... I go get fitted when I am in a different town. Quick warning, though, its amazing how most people fitted at Nordstrom end up getting reccomended LaMystere, or one of there other almost-impossible to find, really expensive bras.

Good luck!
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 283/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'9"

I also recommend Lane Bryant and Cacique; they were helpful, took their time, encouraged me to try different styles. I'm looking forward to loosing enough to _need_ to go bra shopping
: )
anita
guynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #14  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

OK, I almost went into Lane Bryant. But I was having a "Fat Day" and just wanted to hide under a burlap sack so that didn't happen.

I went to Kohl's and got a Maidenform smooth shaping bra. OMGZ it's so comfortable. And it's not even a 48AA. O_o
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:03 AM   #15  

I used to work at Victoria's Secret and you'd be amazed at the amount of women that are wearing the wrong size! I highly recommend going to a lingerie shop (Victoria's Secret does it...) and get measured.

Talk with a representative and tell them your issue. We were all trained to solve any bra question! Puckering, loose cups, tight straps, etc...not all bras fit the same either, no matter WHAT size you are. You'll have to try on different ones!

If you try Victoria's Secret, I highly suggest the Body bra, full coverage. Women with larger chests seemed to LOVE this one because of the thicker straps and it gives lots of support. The sizes only go up to 38DD, so if you need a larger band, they sell band adjusters that extend the band!

So get measured!!

Good luck!
Its Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote