South Beach Diet - Thursday On The Beach

View Full Version : Thursday On The Beach

cottagebythesea
03-27-2008, 07:13 AM
I had to re-check the time, it's still black as midnight outside. Looks like it's shaping up to be a dark, wet day. At least it will green up the grass. :)

Just the same old routine today, and maybe we'll make it to the library. I didn't get to it yesterday. Instead, I got a sneak preview of Maggie's ballet recital. Their costumes are in, so her class was allowed to try them on for their routine. The big recital isn't until June, but the girls look fantastic already! I took a couple of pictures for Cindy and Richard so they wouldn't feel left out. I'm hoping to catch Audrey's class next week.
I can really appreciate what LC goes through, teaching dance. That's a lot of work!

femmecreole
03-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Morning Cottage!
Same here...just more of the same. My big "outing" today will be to run out and get onions...is that exiting or what???

One cute thing...my son decided it was time for Rupert the blue duckling to get swimming lessons and it may help with his coordination. He was so cute, I just had to get a video to send to my Mom (http://www.ambiancestudio.com/rupert.html). And yes, I made Beau scrub out my tub after the lesson was over!

I was horrendously sore after trying out the Fluidity advanced workout day before yesterday...so I did the WATP dvd yesterday to try to loosen up...that along with a couple of exedrin "back and body" and I'm in business again!

Back to resizing pictures for a new site. snore.

jandaman
03-27-2008, 07:40 AM
good morning cottage and all who follow!!

cottage: the day here has started out same/same. doom and gloom:( cannot wait for spring!

a little nervous this morning because i have to renegotiate my teaching contract. my boss has been stringing me along for too long and i must assert myself! i usually have a more than healthy:D level of self-confidence but, for some reason, i become meek as a mouse when in his office and berate myself afterwards. i wish i could just march in there and throw down an ultimatum cool as a cucumber all the while.
we shall see!

hope you chicas have a super bueno day!!:flow1:

jandaman
03-27-2008, 07:41 AM
mornin' femme!

we simulposted ;) and rupert is sooo cute! put a smile on my face.

cottagebythesea
03-27-2008, 08:18 AM
Cat, that video was just what I needed this morning to put a smile on my face. :)

janda, good luck today! :crossed:

I'm getting ready to go out to my car and see what it smells like. Maggie spilled a carton of milk all over the back seat last night, and it was too late to do much about it except to sop up what I could with my jacket. I'm putting my foot down for good this time - No more eating or drinking in the car! :mad:

Ruthxxx
03-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Oh my! That duck is just too adorable and gave me the first :lol: of my morning. Thanks, Cat. I'll never eat Duck a l'Orange again!

Cottage, yick to milk in the car! Maybe baking soda and water to neutralize the smell? Funny but my kids never thought of eating in the car - guess I was a mean mommy.

Jandaman, by now I hope you've marched into that office and have that contract. Stick to your guns.

Well, I think I'm finally caught up on sleep - 10 PM to 7:30 AM with just one wake-up for knee and pee should do it! I suspect I may have missed the garbage pick-up. They stuff has to be at the road by 6:30 but they never come until eight. I bet they're early today!

My PT Dude comes this afternoon and will probably give me heck for slacking off on the exercises. It's his fault for going to FL for three weeks. I need nagging to do things I hate. There's still more work to be done but I'm hoping to get back to the gym soon which will help. This evening there's a Fair Board meeting to finalize the entertainment for the Fair.

Sunshine is on the menu today so more of this white crud should go. I'm ready!

tomandkara
03-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Linda, I hope the milk situation isn't too bad, although I imagine you'll be in for it this morning. Maybe one of those cleaners intended for pet stains would help?

Cat, that duck is BLUE! Why is it blue? How very cute, though.

Jan, good luck today with the negotiations! What do you teach?

Ruth, I'm glad you got a good sleep! Hope the trashmen were late for you!

I was up and off to an early start this morning. Got my five mile run in already and have stretched and gotten a bit of breakfast. Then Avery woke up and Connor woke up sick and Kadyn, of course, couldn't miss out on the "fun", so it's been quite a day! They usually all sleep until at least 7:30, if not 8:00, so having the whole household up before 7:00 has cut into my Me Time! I'm hoping this stomach thing of Connor's blows over quickly and doesn't infect anyone else. Maybe it's just a boogie-drainage issue and will clear up after he's been up for a bit. At least he's smart enough to get himself to the bathroom in time. Poor Avery got sick a couple months ago and just sat there spitting all over herself with this sad, sad look on her face like "What is going ON here?!"

Gotta get breakfast for the healthies and jump in the shower. Whew - I stink!

Kara

jandaman
03-27-2008, 09:28 AM
..hear me roar!

thanx for the support ladies! have got my powersuit on and am ready to rumble *grin*

kara: i teach english as a second language and english lit, hope the babies recover soon:)

toodle pip!

ladybugnessa
03-27-2008, 09:38 AM
hello... ladies.

i'm working beck... so i have to devote time to that, i'm at work and have to devote time to that. i loved my sushi yesterday but need to push fluids today... does hot herb tea count as water.

yesterday was a rough day for me.

3 weeks ago brian was in a bus accident. he was the driver there were no kids on the bus but the bus was totalled. thankfully brian was not.

for the morbid among us here's the link http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v216/ladybugnessa/bus/

tkglenn
03-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Good morning

Cottage-my DH is always getting after me because the kids always somehow will bring crumbs and such in the truch and he thinks I allow them to eat and drink in the truck but I don't. They are kids, they are gonna drag stuff in. But DH always gets after me for it. They are not allowed to eat in the truch---period.

nessa-what happened? it looks pretty bad. good that he wasn't hurt. At least it was a bus and not a little car. He probably would've gotten really hurt if it was a small car.

jandaman-good luck. I don't even have the guts to go into an office to ask for something as small as a pack of paper. I guess that's why I love being a stay at home mommy and owning my own cake business.

Kara-good morning.

everyone else-goodmorning

me-getting better everyday. those zyrtec pills really do make you drowsy. I didn't think it would but it does. I normally am up and going by now but I just feel so sluggish. I am tired. Gotta get going. I hear my baby crying for his bottle. Taking the puppy to the vet today so will check in throughout the day.

tomandkara
03-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Nessa, oh my word. That bus was a mess! Thank goodness there were no kids on it when the accident happened! Good luck with your Beck program.

Jan, we'll be thinking about you today. Go roar!

Tawnya, I've been meaning to ask you how you keep your gumpaste creations from being wrinkly. When I made the snowboarder for my brother's cake, there were parts that were a little folded over and I couldn't figure out how to get the wrinkles out.

Kara

weezle
03-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Morning girls! I'm a bit tired today. Was up all night with a sick boyfriend. I think Tommy must've picked up the flu from sitting with me in the ER. It's a nasty one, and of course since I've been off work all week with my own issues, I have to go back today. I feel so bad for him though. :(

Not much time to post this morning. Just wanted to say HI before I get in the shower and start my day! Hope you girls have a great day!

Lisa

tkglenn
03-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Kara-do you have a pic of it? I might be able to help you better. if not, how did you do your creation?

FluffyK
03-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Janda - I know what you mean - I remember those days of feeling like I was imposing to ask for a raise. I found out the trick is to go in hungry. When I'm hungry, I'm snappy and cranky, and it's just the edge I need.. :lol: :lol: I just did it when negotiating for a car, and it worked wonderfully.

Cottage - one of my kids did that. I'm sorry to say that it STILL after 18 months reeks of spoiled milk. Get out a rug shampooer and suck it all up this morning if you can. Air out the car if you can, too.

Cat - I can't do videos here.. I hate dial-up. If I get a few more contracts, I'm going to be upgrading to something else, but I can't justify the expense right now.

Kara - I know a lot of kids who get sick with post nasal drip. Fortunately, not mine, but still - you poor thing. That would cure me of eating for the day...

Me - just going to be cleaning house and doing some computer learning again today. I've got laundry coming out my ears, so have to organize the laundry room, too. Those jelly beans kept calling me last night, and I gave in to their siren song.. :( This morning is starting out well, though. Turns out I can't have those TLC Kashi stone ground crackers. I can't eat oats (well, I can but the rest of the house is not happy if I do... sorry, TMI) and they must have enough in them to get to me.

Hope you're all doing well today.

GONNABE165
03-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the video Cat I needed it as this morning has been a rough one for me.

Sorry I won't be able to read everyones post and respond as I am feeling a bit down :( this morning. It started with dh takin my keys with him to work which put me behind cause I had to wait for him to bring them and then the thought of never seeing my dad seems to keep hitting my like a ton of bricks and I just start balling. Hopefully all will blow over & I can check back in with yall.

tkglenn
03-27-2008, 10:12 AM
gonna-sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. Things will get better. Take care of yourself. *hugs to you*

ladybugnessa
03-27-2008, 10:29 AM
{{{{{{{{gonnabe}}}}}}}}}}}} sorry it's a rough morning for you.

yesterday was hard on me and i'm still feeling the emotional shaking...

brian was driving his bus back to the lot he was going the speed limit of 45 miles per hour when a box truck stopped in front of him and he rear ended it.... freak accident. he looked up in the mirror for a second to transfer lanes...

he had a minor head trauma, four stitches on the bridge of his nose, chest wall trauma (the seat belt left an exact mark across his chest), a broken left big toe, and leg, hand and chest lacerations. he also developed cellulitus in his left leg....

he went back to driving on Tuesday...

tkglenn
03-27-2008, 10:35 AM
nessa-wow!!! So was the other person at fault? He should be if he didn't slow down and just came to a complete stop.

Kara-gotta get going. lots to do. PM me if you want about the gumpaste stuff.

Schmoodle
03-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Good morning chicks,
I have goofed off a bit too much this week, so I am allowing myself a morning visit but then I will not come back until tonight, if I've got some time. Need to finish up the work week strong and I do not want to spend the weekend cleaning house!
Had a very frustrating meeting last night, small-town politics, grrr. I understand now why most of the longtime residents of this town don't want to get involved in the government end of things, there are just a couple of people that have everything wrapped up and don't want anything to happen without their approval, so basically, nothing ever gets done. That good old boy network is very strong. So, I am considering resigning from my committee and going back to ignorant bliss. I love my house and I'd hate to move, plus there are some great people in this town. When we moved here, I told my husband I'd never move again, but now I'm starting to consider it down the road. It's a sad thing to think about.
But enough about me, let's talk about you!
cottage, DD2 has her dance recital coming up too. It's so exciting for them. She just picked up dance again this year, much to my chagrin. DD1 ruined me for dance after having her in the dance troupe since the age of 6, it totally took over our lives. It's a shame now for DD2 because I don't want to have anything to do with it, but I will show up with flowers and enjoy her recital!
Icky milk. I had a bottle of milk leak in the back of the car, and it took forever to get rid of that sour milk smell!
jandaman, stand up for yourself, you can do this! Good teachers are such an asset to a school, and you deserve to be rewarded. When I am in that situation, I decide what I want and what I'm willing to risk to get it. At times, it has come down to, give me what I want or I'm leaving. Guess what, I got what I wanted! Good luck with it. I just had my yearly review and threatened to leave the company unless they give me a big raise, but I don't know yet if it worked this time. Luckily, I do have a job offer to back it up.
Ruth, hope your PT guy goes easy on you! Happy snow-melting.
Kara, hope the babies stay/get healthy.
Nessa, sounds like you need a :hug: today! Mmmm, sushi.
tk, glad you are feeling better!
Hope BF is feeling better soon, weezle! This year's flu season just seems to be hanging on forever...
Oooh, fluff, you are on dial-up? Poor thing. BTW, that hunger thing is a great tip, I'll try to remember that one.
Gonna, sorry you are having a bad day. Here's a :hug: for you too.

See ya later chicks. I'm off to earn my keep.

Ruthxxx
03-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Life's simple pleasures! I didn't miss garbage pick-up. Monday was a municipal holiday so they are a day late! No exciting trip to the Dump is needed.

Nessa, that sounds just terrible. Poor Brian and poor you with all the worry.

Gonna, big hugs for you today. May your day improve.

tomandkara
03-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Oh, Gonna. :hug: I don't even know what to say to help you, but do know that we're thinking about you and praying for you.

Krystal, unfortunately (for me) I don't have a problem eating given situations of sick kids. Oh well.

Tawnya, I do have a picture, but what I don't have is the cord to connect my camera to the computer or a slot for plugging in the memory card! I made a three-tiered cake (2 layers in each tier) and sloped it so it looked like a ski slope. I just did it in regular buttercream, to look like the snow peaks and all. Then I made a snowboarder out of gum paste. It was my first time using gum paste so I might not have mixed it right or something. I added gel color to make it match my brother's ski jacket and pants and snowboard. It was fun to do, but quite messy with the coloring. Came out cute. I'm wanting to make a beach theme for my two sisters' and dad's birthdays, which are all within a couple days of each other at the end of April, and I thought it would be cute to have little sun bathers.

Schmoodle, hope that raise comes through! Good luck cracking down today!

Connor reports that he's feeling better. He hasn't thrown up for twenty minutes, so we might be getting there!

Kara

Kim_Star060404
03-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Gonna: :hug:

Hey to everyone else! Another fly-by for me! Work will be busy until I get those notices out next week. Love ya all!

ladybugnessa
03-27-2008, 12:14 PM
nessa-wow!!! So was the other person at fault? He should be if he didn't slow down and just came to a complete stop.

Kara-gotta get going. lots to do. PM me if you want about the gumpaste stuff.

no tk if you hit someone in the back you're at fault even if they stopped short.

but the police officer knew brian was not totally at fault so he wrote the ticket for the least offense and fine he could and suggested brian go to court to have no points assessed.

i'm out of sorts about SBD.. feeling like a failure... i was chastised somewhere else yesterday for giving SBD advice when I clearly don't follow it myself... I haven't really lost much weight in 6 months... I could if i was strict be at goal...

so those 'join weight watchers for free' emails are looking good...

Schmoodle
03-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Okay, I know I said I wasn't coming back, but I am waiting for a big file to download, and thought I'd cruise by. Then I saw Nessa's post and have to respond! so...

Nessa, you have helped me so much when I was getting started on SB. You really know your stuff. None of us here is perfect that I know of, and I don't think any of us expect that of each other. I like the way you don't sugarcoat things, and I'm sure you are that way with yourself too. C'mon now, how many WW refugees have we seen around here? Yeah, I know, it's a good program, blah, blah, different things work for different people, etc., but really, everyone I know personally that lost weight on WW has gained it back. Hopefully you aren't serious, you just need to relocate your SB mojo. I think that's why you came back to us?! Now quit getting me all upset. Why don't ya join me on PH1 this week?

Okay, no hate posts from WW fans, please.

P.S. you are so close to goal! When you get there I'll meet you at LB outlet for some spring/summer shopping!

ladybugnessa
03-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Schmoodle.. i was actually thinking of trying CORE... not flex...

oh I don't know... i just am so bummed out by this damn boot.... i want to go back to the gym

Schmoodle
03-27-2008, 12:46 PM
When will you get rid of the boot?
Isn't core just SB for WW? I don't really know anything about their different plans.
Weezle does a combo doesn't she?

FluffyK
03-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Nessa - I think you need to just take a few deep breaths and realize that you're not in a good decision-making frame of mind. You've had a lot of stress, and you've got an injury (isn't that what the boot is that you referred to?). One thing you might want to consider is trying some St. John's Wort. Now, before you do - check with your doctor if you have any health concerns. I don't know if it's one of those supplements that has any side effects.

It is a natural anti-depressant, and has very few (if any) side effects. I was perpetually overwhelmed for years, and a friend recommended it. I started taking it around Christmas, and I can tell you that I feel wonderful now. Even when tough stuff happens, I can handle it a lot better. If you can, spend some money and get a good kind at a health food store. (Mine is by Metagenics). Start small with one pill a day, then you can up it to two a day a week or so later, with a max of 1800 mg. If you don't notice a change, then go back to the previous dosage.

My housework is done for the morning, so now to do computer work.

:D

ladybugnessa
03-27-2008, 12:53 PM
I see the doc on the 9th of april but i'm not permitted back to the gym till May 1st at the earliest IF the boot comes off which it may not.

It could be PMS, it could be that the person who ragged on me yesterday about being a failure is right... or i could be crazy.

Barb0522
03-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Nessa - You are not crazy and you are not a failure. You have given very good advice here. Heck, I've let myself gain back 20 pounds over the last year or so by making bad choices but I still feel able to give good advice because I know what works even when I don't follow my own suggestions. And I keep coming here because I get the support that I need to deal with what is going on in my life right now - even if I haven't managed to work out and eat as well as I should. :hug:

tomandkara
03-27-2008, 01:46 PM
I don't understand how someone who has lost 60 pounds and effectively maintained that loss for six months is a failure.

Especially someone who cares so much about other people as you, Nessa!

We love you and know you'll make the right decision for you and your goals. I've found I have to switch "it" up a bit, if that's making up different meal plans for awhile or getting more stringent or more lenient or whatever.

Does you gym have one of those arm bikes? At least that would get some of those endorphins going. I have serious issues if I don't get my morning workout in. I am grumpy and nasty. I think I'm addicted to the endorphins. I don't know if this is a serious problem or not...

You're a beautiful, smart, quick-witted gal, Nessa!

Kara

SkinnyDogMom
03-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Cottage-enoy those dance class years, sometimes it can be time consuming. My DD danced ballet/tap/jazz from age 5 until she was 13. I look back and am very thankful that I was able to provide that opportunity for her. Maybe if the car smell doesn't go away, go get your interior detailed by a pro shop, tell them the specific problem and I bet they can get it out.
Jandaman-Good luck with your negotiating! I'm in a profession that has very little power to negotiate any kind of monetary changes. Things are very straightforward for our raises, just a percentage each year based on what corporate feels they can afford. They do try to stay within the geographical norms for this area, otherwise they fear nurses will go down the street to the next hospital.
Ruth-Hope PT went well for you. That knee will get better. You are like the bionic woman now! You have been rebuilt, can you make that fun sound when you run now? One of the nurses I work with had both her knees done at the same time. It took her about 2 months longer than she thought to recover. She does water walking for strengthening. Enjoy the snow melting and the arrival of spring.
Kara-I hope your babies are all feeling better now. I'm glad you had time for your run before they awakened. Your running is an inspiration for me to keep exercising. My mind goes--"if Kara can run all those miles, I can keep going on the treadmill." Someday I hope I can run again, but I have to get my weight down more first. Is Tom still there or has he headed to Florida yet? My BIL just got back from Iraq and he is now at CentCom in Tampa, his family is still at LeJeune in NC. He had about 2-3 weeks home before heading to FL. Thanks to Tom for his service!
Nessa-I have learned good things from your posts. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Sorry to hear about your DH's accident. Very scary! Glad he didn't have worse injuries. The soreness from the seatbelt may take awhile to go away. I had that happen once from a 10-15 mph accident and my chest felt bruised and sore for about 2 months. When you are able to get back to the gym, I bet you will feel so much better. WW can be successful, I work with a couple women who did it, I think their committment to exercising has a lot to do with their success. One does Curves and the other Yoga/gym combo. You can do SBD and WW. Some people find the meetings in person and weighing in helpful.
TK-Aloha! My fav thing in Oahu was driving around the island on Kam hwy in a convertible just being amazed at the sights. Around each curve I was in awe of the beauty. I also loved being served steamed white rice and macaroni salad as the 2 sidedishes with most meals! (sorry SB'ers) Lomi Lomi Salmon---yummo! Opah, Wahoo and Ahi oh-my! I love-love-love the local, fresh fish! Feel better!
Weezle-Welcome Back! Hope your BF is feeling better. Glad you are past the orange leaky problems. I'm kind of surprised they didn't do an ultrasound first to rule out ovarian cyst before putting you through a CT with contrast. Appendicitis and Ovarian cyst are two of the rule out issues that can cause similar pain and an ultrasound can look for. Maybe your symptoms just made the doc think it was something else??? Sorry you had to go through all that.
FluffyK-I remember in the not too distant past that we were on dial up and it was horrible. We went cable, then Fios and haven't gone back. Hope your day is productive for your learning!
Gonna -HUGS...the sadness will come and go. My mom passed away 2 years ago and I still have days/moments when I cry for her. I still miss her terribly. When she first passed away, I cried every day. I really hate that I can't pick up the phone and call her. My DH's dad passed away when he was 16, that was 40 years ago, he still has some times when he cries and misses his dad. It is ok. You will grieve in your time and in your way. Look to your friends and family for support. Think of the happy times.
Schmoodle-Good job on phase 1 this week, you are strong! Old boy's networks are soooooo hard to change or even get your foot into their door. If you can take it, staying on the committee and being the one with a more open mind may help. On the other hand, if it is causing you stress and not helping your community then do what is right for you and your family. Have a productive work day.
Kim-Hiya Kim! Have a productive work day, hope it all goes smoothly for you.

I am doing not much of anything today. I worked long hours the past 4 days so this is a rest day. The new pup kept me up and down last night. DH is ready to kick him out of the bedroom. He is an 81/2 month old Weimaraner named Bogart. He was a marine's dog. The marine was deployed and didn't have a home for him. We adopted him 2 weeks ago. He is beautiful with bright, dreamy eyes-they still have blue in them. We start puppy obedience classes next weekend. Our older dog-almost 10 year old greyhound is beginning to tolerate the pup. I need to start packing up our house. We will be moving in 2 months and I haven't done much yet. It is amazing the amount of "stuff" that has accumulated in 4 years here.
Have a great day!
Karla

beachgal
03-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Yikes, the morning just runs away with me! I had a student in here for almost three hours this morning (no wonder I'm so exhausted!) and I only had a tiny bit of breathing room before two more showed up in succession. Yikes! I'm glad the center's being used more, though. That's good. :)

Hope everyone's having a good day--it's supposed to be 50* today so I decided not to wear tights with my skirt. We'll see if I regret that when I leave work today! :brr: DH and I rearranged our weekend plans and are just going to stay in a cute little town upstate. He'd like to leave right after I get out of work, so I'll have to skip my workout. He says we can go for a swim when we get there. :lol: We'll see how much of a workout that is...

Beautiful Nessa, I'm so sorry you're feeling down. Hon, between Brian's accident and your injury, you definitely have a lot on your plate that's going to affect your decision making. :hug: This isn't the best frame of mind to try to make a change in your diet. After I gained back some weight last year, I felt that maybe it was SBD that was the problem, but when I really thought it over, I realized that the issue was my feeling deprived from other things and using off plan food to compensate. I've made some changes to how I use SBD (a much bigger focus on protein, allowing more fruit and starches) and I'm finally losing again (since last August). It really helped me see what Suzanne and Jennifer are always reminding us--it doens't matter what plan you are on. If you work it because it fits with your life, you'll lose weight. Period. No plan is magic and no plan works for everyone.

Crap...I have to run to lunch. I'll finish this post soon. :hug: to Gonna for dealing with so much!

GONNABE165
03-27-2008, 02:42 PM
:hug: Thanks you guys. Yall sure do know how to make a girl feel better. You gals ROCK!

Nessa sorry for what you are going through - thoughts & prayers for you & Brian

SAnativegirl
03-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Nessa- You are NOT a failure-you are an inspiration to many of us!!!
I, too may join WW next week as a former life member and weigh in once a month. But I will still follow SB and/or whatever works.
I still check in with these chicks all the time, just havent been posting because I feel like a failure. I ate a donut today after my whole wheat muffin and a sm fries after my healthy lunch. So I know its not true hunger, just cant get motivated.
Do not let one comment (or even lots of them) throw you off track. Losing weight is one of the hardest things to do IMO. Look inside (as I need to do) for some motivation. Keep giving advice whether that person likes it or not-we are all in the same boat. keep smiling-youre gorgeous!!!!! Mo

nightmere
03-27-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm new to this board, but I just wanted to say what a kind and supportive group you are for each other. I'm really glad I joined : )

ladybugnessa
03-27-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm new to this board, but I just wanted to say what a kind and supportive group you are for each other. I'm really glad I joined : )

welcome... they are a great bunch of gals... i disappear for them for months on end and yet they always welcome me back with open arms....

femmecreole
03-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Nessa, I so agree with everyone else. You've had so many "distractions" lately to deal with. Just a suggestion, but how about just treating yourself to a "fun day" all to yourself? Go get a facial, manicure, whatever! You've been busy taking care of everyone else that you really need some "me time" to regroup. I'm sure also when the weather gets great, that will help too. (I was having a case of the "blahs" till our weather got perfect...it really brings on a new outlook)

You are such an inspiration, but even inspirations can have down times. Just know we are all here for you!!!! You really helped me so very much when I started SBD and I wish I could hold your hand through this rough time.

SAnativegirl
03-27-2008, 03:25 PM
"fun day" Maybe thats what I need.
After my morning GYN appt and talk of my turning 50 this summer
and her talk of the average age of menopause being 51 or so, I got down
and turned to those donuts and fries. Tomorrows a new day, Ill get better.
And find something good about turning 50!!!!

So, I'm taking a poll. IF you had a little extra money- how wouldyou spend your
"fun day"? Give me some ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

femmecreole
03-27-2008, 03:49 PM
SAnative, 50 "ain't so bad"!! I'll be 53 in September and I swear I feel better than I did at 40. (and I look better too!)

I started going through menopause in my late 30's. (it sucked) I finally finished all that stuff and when I was 49 had to have a hysterectomy and went through it all over again (double sucked)

I love being "older". No more little kids to take care of! (my own anyway) I also realized within the last year that I needed to make more "me" time. I spent years taking care of everyone else (well, I still do) and now mornings are for me!! (I get up at 4) I work some, then exercise, then a long hot bath along with scrubs and masques etc, then take my time with make up, hair etc, then a nice breakfast and I'm good to go by 7...then the rest of the day is for everyone else. I do love my mornings!!!! When summer hits and I'm out of school, I get to add a little morning gardening to my "me time". Being off of school this week has given me glimpse of a great summer to come.

Kim_Star060404
03-27-2008, 03:54 PM
So, I'm taking a poll. IF you had a little extra money- how wouldyou spend your "fun day"? Give me some ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's see. I would be in San Antonio - breakfast at Mi Tierra's, get my nails done and a pedicure and then hit the McNay for a few hours - then off to La Madeleine on Broadway for a late lunch - then off to North Star Mall for shopping until heading to the SBC Center for a Spurs game. (Where they would hopefully slaughter the Lakers). Finally I'd end it with some drinks and appetizers at Alamo Cafe. It would definitely NOT be an on plan day!!

OR

If it were the right weather, I'd head to the Comal River for hours and hours of floating followed by dinner at The Grist Mill in Gruene and then seeing my fav lady Stephanie Briggs sing at Adobe Verde.

OR

If I had DH with me, it would be shopping in Gruene, with lunch at Gruene Coffee House, more shopping, dinner at The Grist Mill and then drinks and dancing at Gruene Hall. If it happened to be Willie Nelson in concert - I think I'd float off to heaven right then! ;)

ladybugnessa
03-27-2008, 03:55 PM
i'm 48 i really can't wait for 50... 48 is stupid. of course my DH is only 37!

thanks guys i'm doing better.. and you all are gems

i get manis and pedis all the time... if i had extra i'd get a massage and a facial.

GONNABE165
03-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Nessa you sound like a fireball - thats great to look forward to 50 - you get better not older

tomandkara
03-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Aw, Karla. You're so nice! Tom's been in Florida for over a week now. He was only able to be home for a couple days before he had to head out. It's better for my weight that he's gone, but the rest of me just wants to be with him!

Laurie, have fun on your vacation! I'm sure you could work up an exercise session with some swimming. Maybe your husband could chase you around the pool? :devil:

Hi Mo! Haven't seen you in awhile! I don't understand why everyone gets so upset about menopause? Think about never having to deal with your period again! Yay! It's like being in labor and thinking about the beautiful baby you'll have at the end...makes the uncomfortableness worth it. I have no clue what I'd do on a fun day. I feel guilty leaving the kids for an hour and a half, so first I'd have to get over my own issues with treating myself to something! It would probably involve sleeping in. And a beach.

Nightmere, we're glad to have you, too!

Nessa, you crack me up..."48 is stupid"...too much!

Connor hasn't thrown up in five hours! I think he's better. He asked to take a nap this afternoon, so I actually have all three kids in bed. WHAT?! So I logged on here!

Kara

SAnativegirl
03-27-2008, 04:56 PM
hey kara-it's not really the menopause things-its just getting older in general! since being on pill forever, i dont have much of a period. the desire (and patience) of having kids has never really been there. So, as I read of your busy life and others with kids, i have great respect, must be a hard yet very rewarding responsiblity. My husband, who's a young 45 has a son in high school that I 've known since he was 7. Great, great kid esp for a teenager. maybe I'm bored-this job is going down tube, theres nothing to do all day. You'd think i'd have plenty of time to exercise and prepare healthy meals. so, I will give that a shot (again) We did get to go to beach (and yeah felt old around those spring breakers) last weekend, very fun. And this weekend to some friends we met on a cruise, they have a ranch near Bushs outside Waco TX with a real log cabin for us to stay in. shes a vegetarian like you, and fixes great side orders while every one else is grilling steaks. So I will look forward to that. and then of course Fiesta is coming-I will have to figure out how to party and eat on SB plan. I'm sure it CAN be done!!!

beachgal
03-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Okay, I'm back...for a minute before heading home. But I totally agree with Cat on Nessa's need for a "me" day and on 50 being AWESOME!!! I'm nowhere near it yet, but I'm SO looking forward to it! I'm always seeing 50+ women on Oprah talking about how they've finally figured their lives out--they don't worry about impressing people--they're full of wisdom and insight and JOY! I think there are tons of things to be happy about being fifty, SANative! Check out Oprah's website and I bet you'll find plenty! ;)

Nessa, I know few of us are lucky enough to have a doctor that is associated with lots of alternative medicine professionals, but if you do, take advantage of it! If not, see if your doc (or a friend) can recommend a good therapist, just for a session or two. I have a friend who's getting over surgery and is depressed about the lack of movement. I can see how you'd feel that way too and from what I hear, it's very common. Just take care of yourself and stay away from rash decisions until you feel more centered. As for that jerk who chastised you, give THEM the boot! (at least that puts it to good use, right? :s: ) Hon, we ALL know that we can know the right things to do and still not DO them. Right, chicks? :yes: You can give great advice even when you aren't following it. You do give good advice and I hope you don't stop just because you aren't feeling like you're working hard enough. I felt that way too when I was maintaining but wanted to be losing my last 20 or so pounds. Now that I'm about 15 pounds higher than that place, I'd LOVE to be there again!!! :cry: So give yourself TONS of praise for maintaining for this long! :hug:

beachgal
03-27-2008, 05:01 PM
SA, I have to run, but throw up a thread on partying while on SB and I'll be glad to contribute LOTS of great ideas!!! :yes: :hug:

SkinnyDogMom
03-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Kara-sorry Tom had to go to FL so soon, plan your trip down and go enjoy the sunshine!
Cat-I have never seen a dyed duck. What a funny & cute video. Will his color go to normal as his feathers grow? Enjoy your nice weather and gardening.
Laurie-ditto what Kara said...how about an aggressive game of Marco Polo followed by a game of Chicken for an upper body workout? Maybe the hotel has an exercise room?
SANativegirl-with a little extra money I would probably go out and buy new clothes, get a massage or a new hairstyle. If I had more than just a little extra, I would take a trip to somewhere tropical and lay on the beach sipping an icy drink and read with the sound of the ocean waves.
Nightmere-welcome to the beach!
Kim-We get to San Antonio 3-4 times a year. DH is from there and his mom and 1 son and 5 grandkids live there. Mi Tierra's food wasn't as good last time but the ambience and the drinks are fabulous. We found Los Barrios last time and loved their food. I would recommend it to anyone visiting SAT. The food network did a special on Los Barrios on their "puffy Taco". We also like El Chapparal in Helotes and Don Pedro's on the southside. Now you have my mouth watering for SAT food. We will be down there in June.
Off to find something to create for dinner.
Ciao for now Chickies.
Karla

GONNABE165
03-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Kara glad Connors making progress

Kim_Star060404
03-27-2008, 05:09 PM
I do like Los Barrios, but nobody can beat Henry's Puffy Tacos. Theirs are, in my opinion, the best in SA. We don't usually "eat" at Mi Tierra's, I prefer La Margarita next door, it's mostly the pan dulce. That stuff should be illegal!!

GONNABE165
03-27-2008, 05:14 PM
All the talk about Mexican food is making me want a margarita and a burrito ;)

SkinnyDogMom
03-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Kim-I haven't heard of Henry's, but i will be looking it up! I heard La Margarita is owned by the same family as Mi Tierra, and they have another that I can't recall the name. We'll have to try it next trip. Our normal b-fast is Taco Cabana b-fast taco with egg, chorizo and tons of their fresh pico piled on, so much you have to eat it with a fork. I think I'm gonna have to make a taco bake tonight after all this mexi food talk!

CyndiM
03-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Wow, it's been a busy here today :) I've been on the road and at a meeting all day -so no internet for me. Just wanted to pop in and say hello. (Ruth - I can see all my gardens now! I'm going to get my cold frame up so I can plant greens :broc::broc:)

Barb0522
03-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I've got my car back repaired! It took ten days and almost $3000. Luckily I only had to pay the $500 deductible and should eventually get that back from the teenage driver. It felt weird driving my little Focus instead of that huge Impala rental but I'm sure I'll like filling up the gas tank better!

I love Mexican food! I make it at home quite a bit. Last night I made chicken fajitas with chicken breast, onion, mushrooms, salsa and some plain yogurt and then topped it with some angelhair cabbage. It was wonderful! I was going to add some cheese but forgot and was happy without it. Tonight I'm doing the Pesto Chicken with tomato pesto. Brian and I like that one (from the Quick & Easy cookbook) and it is so fast.

Kim_Star060404
03-27-2008, 06:04 PM
We're having fajitas on Sat. Yum! Can't wait!

SAnativegirl
03-27-2008, 06:36 PM
My new car is in the shop for the third time in several months. I finally bought a new Honda civic last year after driving an old SUV for 10 years. I ran over a tire that blew off a big rig so that was considered my fault.

Second time-A kid on a bike flew in front of me-guy behind me hit me.

6 weeks later a 20 yr old-her first accident- side swipes and damages the whole left side of car. The girl at the paint and body recognizes me now. If it happens again, I'm selling the damn thing.

My fav, when I worked downtown San Antonio was the green chicken enchiladas at La Margarita. ummmmmmmmmmmm Theres a new Los Barrios out by our house, but havent tried it. I try to just order a chicken fajita on corn tortilla and borracho beans to stay on track. And now that I work near Henrys Puffy Tacos, I need more will power.

tomandkara
03-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Ah, Texas. We were in San Angelo for five months in 2004, and drove down to San Antonio once. We couldn't believe how BIG it was! (San Angelo was tiny.)

Mo, if you are feeling like you want to experience having kids, you're welcome here any time! :D

Cyndi, glad you got a chance to pop in.

Barbara, sorry to hear you were in a wreck. Glad the car came out of its beauty treatment looking smashing!

Kara

weezle
03-27-2008, 08:56 PM
When will you get rid of the boot?
Isn't core just SB for WW? I don't really know anything about their different plans.
Weezle does a combo doesn't she?

Weezle does do a combo and loves it! I have to do WW with SBD Ph2 or I lose my mind. :)

FluffyK
03-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Hey, chicks. Late for me, but you're so chatty, I had to come see what you were saying.

Menopause? Let's see... I'm 34 now and for the last 3 years I have been SICK with pre-menopause issues. They keep telling me "You're too young", but hot flashes associated with my cycle, calendar changes and all the other goodies (can a girl really grow HAIR in those places?) all add up to me that I'm on that roller coaster ride. Who knows how long it will last, but at least I'm done having kids.

Kara - I don't so much mind the thought of being done with TOM, but the symptoms of the hormonal shifts really do stink, they affect my quality of life on a regular basis.

As for me and "ME TIME".. it would be me sitting under a nice umbrella either at the beach or a nice pretty dock on a lake. In a comfy lounge chair, crocheting and reading a book all day. When I got too warm, I'd hop in the water. Tired? Lounge back and doze. Thirsty? Well, a margarita would do me nicely. :yes: Yep, that about sums up my excitement.