Weight Loss Support - Am I the only one with an appetite?! (rant)

3Beans
03-26-2008, 06:16 PM
First and foremost: this is from a place of respect for our diverse situations.

I know we've all got our unique struggles. I know that the grass is always greener. But - I just can't get over how many people here speak of the supreme efforts they must make to eat their full 1300-1500 calories a day! They are just so full, and just eating all the time, etc. etc.

From my perspective, this is discouraging to hear so often. It makes me feel like a mutant freak for being really hungry sometimes or for simply wanting more than what I'm currently allowing myself. How on earth would I have ever become obese without room for more than 1600 calories in my belly? I thought it was common to have a bit of difficulty reducing calories to a level for healthy weightloss, but hanging around here, I'm starting to suspect otherwise!

Anyway, this isn't to pick on anyone, but to encourage those who have the opposite experience and let them know they have company. Are you guys out there? :?:

Pachyderm
03-26-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm the same - I definately want to eat more than I should, and the idea of eating only 1200-1400 calories appalls me! I only finished dinner about an hour ago and I am ravenous! :o

You are not the only one! :hug:

mandalinn82
03-26-2008, 06:32 PM
I can go both ways. If I've been eating SUPER clean for 2-3 days, and it is the right time of my cycle, etc, I can have trouble getting to 1200 calories. This can also happen if I have a meal that is both very filling and very low calorie (like bean and vegetable soup, which has so much fiber that I'm full for hours after, even though it has fewer calories than most meals I eat).

If I haven't been eating super clean, I'm PMSing, I worked out harder, or I am eating slightly more calorie dense meals (basically, anything I cook OTHER than that soup), I'm never going to have an issue meeting my calorie minimums.

I think people tend to say that they're having this issue when they've been super-clean for a while, and their bodies have adjusted to that. Throw something refined into the mix and the hungries start up again, in my experience.

zenor77
03-26-2008, 06:32 PM
I've never had a problem eating my full calories (unless sick or something.) In fact, while I was losing, I'd have to tweak my dinner sometimes just to stay under. I think that's why I never really dropped my calories below 1500. I preferred being able to eat a fair amount and lose slower then to starve myself.

You're not alone! I think staying under is far more common a problem then getting up to a certain calorie level.

Meg
03-26-2008, 06:33 PM
You're not alone. :) I read posts like that and can't respond because it's just so far outside of my realm of experience. Not ... hungry ... on 1200 calories? :?:

I've never lost weight without being hungry -- sometimes really hungry! (and I'm a healthy eater and know all the tricks about water, fiber, veggies etc :p ) Even now in maintenance, I'm hungry a lot of the time. So I plan my meals in advance, eat by the clock, and deal with it. That's the reality of weight loss/maintenance for me.

But I'm genuinely puzzled about how someone gets to be obese if they have to force themselves to eat 1200 calories a day?

Madriver
03-26-2008, 06:53 PM
You aren't alone. I have never had a problem eating the 1200-1400 calories allowed and I do all the tricks, too (eating lots of "free" vegetables, fiber, drinking lots of water, on and on). It's a struggle and I always have to be mindful.

lorilove
03-26-2008, 07:00 PM
This is one of those topics that you don't have enough information about what is going on their life or what they are eating. So you have to accept what they are saying but realize there may be more to the story.

I would not be surprised if 50% of the individuals that say this may not be accruately weighing or logging all of their food.

I am such an emotional and stress eater, I realize that has a much bigger impact on cravings. I can have a good day at work where I am so busy and so focused on what I am doing that I get to the end of the day realize that I only ate 1200 calories and am totally satisfied. I usually eat something regardless to at least reach 1400.

This past weekend I was nursing a strained muscle and bored to death and feeling sorry for my self (for no logical reason) and I was still starving at 1600 calories.

One final thought. I have definitely noticed those comments often come from new members who eventualy burn out. When I am frustrated I definitely try to focus on the comments from those members that have been at this for the long run.

Lori

rockstar87
03-26-2008, 07:01 PM
I can sort of see both sides of this...but I assure you if I get to eat 1400 calories one day I will eat every single last one of those calories. I may not necessarily feel like I need to eat but I will throw something in there just because I can. Other days I"m ravenous and could polish off a whole pizza no problem. I tend to binge so that's why I"m overweight. I would eat low calorie all week and then the weekend would come and I'd get bags of chocolate as a "reward" that were easily 1500 calories and eat them in one sitting. The other thing I will say is while I"m not starving on my diet I never feel "full". There's always room for a something extra which is why I ALWAYS get to my calories. I would fully expect anyone to have trouble reducing their calories...especially when you're used to eating so much more.

Glory87
03-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Heh, my boyfriend laughs that I am ALWAYS hungry and it's true! I practice a combination of whole foods, calorie counting and volumetrics - I love big portions so I bulk up with lots of vegetables. I eat about every 2 hours, and I'm ALWAYS hungry and ready for my snack/meal. I can usually hold out if I know I can eat in an hour :)

I eat about 1800 calories to maintain, but I have to get serious about this 3-4 lbs that have been lingering since Christmas/week long work trip to Vegas in January (I know, it's ONLY 3-4 lbs but I am a big believer in bud nipping). I am going to have to cut back to 1400-1600 and I am NOT looking forward to it - it's really hard for me to eat that little. I am MUCH happier at 1800!

Sorcha33
03-26-2008, 07:23 PM
You're not alone! While I'm satisfied most of the time, it's on a higher amount of calories - more like 1650. Even then, though, my tummy is grumbling like crazy if I go longer than 3 hours without eating, so I feel like I'm almost always grazing on something. I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks (one I call dessert, but it isn't always something sweet) each day, and sometimes my snacks are picked at over the course of an hour, with a meal not long after! It can seem like I'm just eating, eating, eating!!

I think it's good, though - there's no prize for going the longest on the smallest amount of food! I belive in feeding your body if you experience genuine hunger - I'm actually a bigger believer in eating BEFORE you're feeling that genuine, gnawing hunger!! Provided you make a smart choice in what to eat (which is SO much easier if you eat before you're ravenous!), I don't think there's much to worry about. Like a lot of others here, I find that moving away from processed foods towards more natural whole foods makes a big difference - fruit with protein in the form of some nuts or a little cheese, veggies with hummus, etc. keep me full so much longer, and on much fewer calories, than any packaged "snack".

There's never a day that ends where I feel like I couldn't possibly eat another bite, no matter what, though - and there probably never will be! ;)

Ija
03-26-2008, 07:30 PM
You're definitely not alone. At my highest weight I was probably inhaling a good 3000-4000 calories per day, so of course I'm finding 1500 hard to handle!

Now, I think it would genuinely be hard to handle eating 1500 calories from celery, green peppers and blueberries alone, but not with a balanced diet. A piece of beef here or a hard-boiled egg there definitely adds up. To echo some other comments here, I think sometimes people underestimate their calorie intake such that while they think it's hard to get their 1200 calories in, they may actually be taking in substantially more than that.

My two cents.

jellydisney
03-26-2008, 07:31 PM
One final thought. I have definitely noticed those comments often come from new members who eventualy burn out. When I am frustrated I definitely try to focus on the comments from those members that have been at this for the long run.

Lori

Yup, that's what I was going to say. Sometimes people are so into the whole weight loss thing when they first start out, that they really don't think they are hungry. It's a mental thing I think. But eventually the physical will overtake the mental, and they'll be ravenous like the rest of us lol.

pipernoswiper
03-26-2008, 07:50 PM
i have never in my life been unable to eat lol, even when i get sick i can still eat. however when i first started ww i was having a hard time getting all my points in because i had replaced all the bad with all the good. now if i could have kept eating pizza and doritos then heck ya, i could eat all day. but when you go from that to required to eat 5 fruits/veggies, 2 milks, oils, protien, and high fiber, well i was stuffed. now i've lost like 10 of those points, and it gets a little tricky trying to stay full, and i can always eat like i said b4. i just think when people first start out their bodies arent used to the healthy eating so their tummies are telling their minds they are full. just my two cents :)

Mel
03-26-2008, 08:06 PM
The only times I've been unable to eat have been when I'm unconscious.

I've never lost weight without being hungry sometimes, and maintaining, I'm often hungry. I drink a lot of tea, chew a lot of sugar free gum, and do a lot of mental tricks...but I'm hungry.

I never know how to respond to those posts either because I can't fathom not being able to eat my allotted 1400 calories. And I eat very clean 99% of the time, and eat bulky food, so there's relatively a lot there for 1400 calories!

I'm also an emotional eater and just WANT to eat, but the hunger is true hunger.

You certainly aren't alone :hug:

Mel

yoyonomoreinvegas
03-26-2008, 08:12 PM
um, that "not hungry" thing? Really often comes from having spent so many (many, many) years of engaging in starvation diets and causing such a nasty imbalance that now we actually gain weight on 1500 calories a day. We've pretty much trained ourselves not to feel the hunger - ever. Even when we spent weeks at a time eating nothing but one hardboiled egg every other day (yes, it is sick but at the time we feel so empowered because we can do it). So then, of course, when we get tired of eggs and go off the deep end, we vacuum up whatever our hands land on (even though we still aren't hungry - and we don't even taste the food) and, voila, instant toad.

Then it's not just a matter of creating a calorie deficit because our bodies can pretty much adapt to surviving on air. We have to spend half our time juggling foods around to try and keep our systems on their toes. Believe me, I get really jealous when I read about people who know it's time to eat because they are hungry, not because the alarm on their cell phone went off, and who can enjoy a little piece of pizza once in a while because they figured out how to fit it in their plan. That sounds like some pretty darned green grass to me :D

And Meg Honest to goodness (right hand raised, taking oath) before I wised up (and found 3FC) I tried going back to the old habit starvation thing. For about 4 months I ate either 1/2 a skinless chicken breast or 1/2 a pork chop for dinner and had nothing all day except about 1/2 a gallon (maybe a little more) of Crystal Light (also was putting in a mile a day on the treadmill). My big "treat days" were Sunday mornings when I would have 3 or 4 slices of bacon. In that 4 months I gained almost a whole pants size - now who should feel like the mutant freak? Doctor screamed at me that I was rapidly headed for malnutrition and told me to just eat whatever I wanted but start logging every shred I put in my mouth. I wasn't supposed to count calories at that time but a few weeks ago, just for grits and shins, I went back and added some of them up and for the most part I was in the 1500 to 1600 neighborhood with a real binge day about once a month that would hit 2000. I did that for 2 months and finished off the pants size. Apparently I am one of those people who could be trapped in a building after an earthquake, eat drywall for a week and come out fatter than when I went in.

end rant :o

fiberlover
03-26-2008, 08:13 PM
I shoot for 1350 a day, with 1 or 2 days at 1500. I could easily eat more food. Easily. I do get full at my meals, but am ready to eat again 2-3 hours later. I have 2 snacks a day.

DH laughs because every night at about 10pm, I say "I'm hungry". He mentioned one night that I was like an alarm clock that way.

There are some days were I feel full and satisfied at 1250 or so, but those days are rare. There are other days where I am a ravenous fiend all day.

I just know that I am in a calorie deficit, and hunger is a part of that.

Meg
03-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Yoyo, thanks for sharing your experiences. :hug: You've given us a glimpse into the other side and it doesn't look like a happy place at all. It's something I've never experienced and I really appreciate you giving us all some insight into your world. Stick around here with us and we'll all figure out a way to make it through together. :grouphug:

yoyonomoreinvegas
03-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks Meg :hug:. I was hoping it wasn't going to come across as being angry, just a share. That's one of the things I love about 3FC - a bunch of very diverse experiences and a chance to learn from all of them.

MommyonaMission
03-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Um...I have been thinking the same thing! Of course I'm hungry; I wouldn't be a fat chick if I didn't like to eat. I am slightly embarassed to admit that while I am glad I'm losing, the thought of my WW points decreading into the 20's absolutely freaks me out!

3Beans
03-26-2008, 10:31 PM
:hug:

Wow, thank you all so much for responding. This has been on my mind a lot while spending time at this forum, and it feels good to get it out there!

Horo
03-26-2008, 10:37 PM
You're not. There are plenty of chicks from both sides here.

Being one or the other does not make you mutant, or mean that you're freakish for being hungry, OR mean that you must have miscalculated because it's definitely not possible for a fat girl to lack an appetite, etc etc etc. Some people have an appetite, others just don't.
So, how does a person get fat without much of an appetite, that can't be possible? One asks.

Low quality/crap food. If you've ever taken a look at the calorie counts of some of the junk food, you know that it doesn't take much food at all to be way up there in the calories. Replace the junk food with healthy, low calorie, clean foods, and for the same amount of calories you have twice to three times the amount of food. For someone without much of an appetite, it can be difficult to get that amount in.

I, personally, have seen my share of both sides. Some days I'm just really not hungry at all and end up at 900 calories, and then the next I get up to 1,400.

It really just depends on the person. I've seen it vary equally all ways.

Darkblue
03-26-2008, 11:25 PM
You're not alone. I am aiming for 1400-1600 calories a day, and I'm constantly starving.

shrinkingchica
03-27-2008, 12:15 AM
I am always sooo hungry. Somedays I can deal with the gnawing physical pain in my tummy and tough it out to 1,000 and others I have to eat everything in the whole world and reach 2,500. (On holidays I have been known to exceed 4,000, drinks really add up, what can I say?)
But the hunger, oh the hunger.
And, in spite of that it is still sooo worth it.
Life is greener being smaller, at least for me. Even with the sacrifices.
/End my tangent.

mandalinn82
03-27-2008, 01:54 AM
Just for kicks...today I ate 1260 calories, or so. I had:

B - French toast made with Alvarado Light Flax Seed Bread soaked in Egg Beaters, with 2 tsp of apple butter.
S - A tangelo...mmm.
L - White bean soup with carrots, celery, and garlic...a HUGE bowl!
S - Smoothie made with Light N Fit Yogurt, almond milk, and fresh strawberries
S - 120 calories worth of perfect airpopped popcorn with pink mineral salt
D - A giant plate of stirfry...1 cup cooked of brown and wild rice blend, 4 oz of chicken, and at least 1 1/2 cups of veggies...broccoli, carrots, bell pepper, and mushrooms.
S - 150 calories worth of no sugar added ice cream.

That's a ton of food...eating every 2 hours, all day. I wasn't hungry.

Alternately, for 1280 calories, I could have eaten:
A McDonalds Crispy Chicken Club
Medium Fries w/ 2 ketchup packets
Medium Coke

One meal...and you can bet I'd be hungry later that day. So it definitely DOES depend what I eat.

That being said, it also depends a lot on other things, like where I'm at in my cycle, how much exercise I'm doing, etc.

PinkyPie
03-27-2008, 02:39 AM
you can add me to the "always hungry" club. I have no idea how NOT to feel hungry unless I eat too much. And I eat several "meals" throughout the day. Some bodies are just different I guess.

I would love to not feel hunger but I can't even train myself against it. I get physical symptoms from hunger - headache, lightheaded, cranky, my stomach rumbles enough for someone next to me to think there was a small earthquake. Often I eat fruit when this happens but fruit never actually makes me feel full...

JayEll
03-27-2008, 08:31 AM
Hey Velveteen! :wave:

Eat some protein with that fruit! :yes: cheese...

Jay

3Beans
03-27-2008, 10:11 AM
I eat 2-3 pieces of fruit a day. I have a mixing bowl salad with lunch. I bulk up my dinner with loads of veggies. I use no or low cal seasonings like vinegar and lemon juice. My proteins are as lo-cal as I can get them (tofu, cc, tuna, etc.). I have three meals and two snacks, and sometimes I'll split breakfast into two parts, pre- and post-workout. I never eat fast food.

This isn't the issue. I'm simply hungry sometimes while dieting, even when I'm doing it right. That's my weight loss experience.

nutrition junkie
03-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Just thought i'd throw in my $0.02
I have a history of an eating disorder. I have bounced back and forth from months of binge eating to months of serious restriction (500 cals a day max) and fasting. I have TOTALLY screwed up my metabolism. I gain at 1600 cals a day...with enough exercise, i can maintain there, but it's hard. Which of course made it easy to get heavy again. On that note, that doesn't mean i'm full at 1600. Some days i'm more than full at 1000. Some days i'm ravenous at 2000.
Recently, thoguh (past three months) I became a vegan. I eat mostly fruits, vegetables, beans, and some nuts. Sometimes, i can litterally eat all day, but not get enough calories, because I'll sit around and have ten servings of veggies but it only comes out to like 500 calories. That's the thing about raw veggies...i love them, but they don't fulfill my calorie needs the way a snack should. So sometimes, it is really hard for me to get to the 1100 calorie minimum i've set for myself to ensure i don't slip back into my severe restriction tendancies. my goal is 1200-1400, but on a day where i don't feel like eating nuts, sometimes it's hard to find. I had to add things like wheat pasta and vegan pizza into my diet to have larger meals and get me there, because the veggie burgers (120 cals) on two slices of light bread (80 cals) with tomato and onion didn't help me get there.

Lekhika
03-27-2008, 10:57 AM
I love this thread!

I have sort of learned to accept that I will never be able to be one of those people who can feel "full" ever. I can always eat....and I have had to learn to deal with that persistent hunger. It sucks, but if I don't want to end up where I was last April...I have to suck it up and deal.

It's refreshing to hear that I'm not alone in this hunger.

BattleAx
03-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Wow. First, about the members saying they're not hungry and have trouble reaching, say, 1200 calories. I don't understand it. I have an appetite. I started out over 2000 calories, and ate every last one of my calories with gusto. For most of my journey so far, I ate 2000 and stayed there until my weight loss stalled. It took 2 months of trying to reduce my calorie intake to 1800. I hate to be hungry, and now at 1800 I have to be more planful and make better choices to stay full. I hope that I don't have to reduce calories further, because I think I will have a very hard time going much lower than 1700.

I know I could not stand being hungry all the time. I am shocked by how many people on the other end of this say they have to go hungry to lose and maintain. So far I haven't. On days that I'm still hungry after eating my allotted calories, I eat. I cannot stand the feeling, and also believe that my body is telling me it needs fuel. There have actually been very few days that I have needed to eat above my set calories from true hunger.

I guess I will be ok with settling at a maintenance weight that is a little chubby if it means that I can fuel my body when hungry and not have to go around with a gnawing feeling. I am amazed that so many can, and I give any of you who do a lot of credit for being able to withstand that and hold onto your commitment. You are stronger than I am.

I would like to offer one more theory on why some members say they are having trouble eating their allotted calories. I know myself, I lived many years going between starving and binging. A weight loss plan to me was starving myself, eating way too few calories. It had to hurt or it wasn't a diet. I didn't believe one could eat a good deal of food and still lose weight. When you're eating 1500 or 2000 calories a day, it's a lot of food compared to the starvation diets, and it almost feels wrong....like somehow its wrong to eat that much and must be cheating. It was a real mind shift to look at this journey as a sustainable lifestyle and not a temporary and severe restriction/punishment.

I have also noticed that most of the members who severely restrict and say they are not hungry end up flaming out if they dont get a grip and start eating enough, and eating healthily. Eventually the hunger returns times 100 because the body fights against starvation.

Robin41
03-27-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm a 1200 a day gal when I'm actively trying to lose. Most of the time I'm fine but there are occasional days of being hungry at that level. What I've tried to do is embrace the hunger. I went so many years without ever feeling hunger that it's kind of cool to have that feeling again.

What constantly amazes me is the number of people who talk about forgetting to eat. Huh??? Now that is a concept so foreign that I can't even conceive of it.

sweettart08
03-27-2008, 01:12 PM
I can't conceive that one either - I definitely am not a hungry dieter...I feel completely satisfied after eating (on 1200-1500 calories a day). But....I could NEVER forget to eat. I eat 5-6 times a day, and feel hungry each and every time it's close to snack/meal time!!!

NightengaleShane
03-27-2008, 01:15 PM
I have a MONSTEROUS appetite that has only INCREASED now that I'm much thinner. At my HW, I was an occasional binger (I won't lie, I still binge sometimes - I have my trigger foods that I will just eat and eat until they're gone), though my biggest fault was just eating the wrong foods. As we all know, you don't need to eat "a lot" of crap food to consume a truckload of calories. Perhaps this reason is actually why many people CAN feel full on 1,200 calories - they are eating the same amount of food as they did at their highest weight, only they are making much better choices, which significantly cuts the calories.

Anyway, I, too, am always shocked at people who can eat 1,200-1,400 calories a day and be full. I stayed within that range while losing weight, though now that I am maintaining, I eat 1,800-2,100 calories a day and am obviously never starved - if I AM hungry, I assume it's a signal from my body for food ;)

PhotoChick
03-27-2008, 01:24 PM
I wonder ... for some of us (not all, but maybe some) ... is it *really* hunger, or is it wanting food?

Because I want food ... well, pretty much all the time. And I've found myself saying to my husband "I'm hungry" when I'm *not* really hungry, but I just want something to eat.

Please know that I'm NOT saying that anyone here is not hungry when they say they are ... just my personal experience has been that I often mistake any other feeling in the world for hunger, including boredom, excitement, nerves, relaxation ... :)

Obviously if your stomach is growling and you're lightheaded and cranky, you're hungry - beyond hungry even. But if you're sitting on the sofa 2 hours after dinner and thinking "I'm hungry" ... is it real hunger? Or a programmed response.

I have to often think about this myself and when the urge to say "I'm hungry" comes out of my mouth, to really think ... am I hungry or are the words and thought automatic?

Dunno. Again, not saying anything about anyone else's experiences here - I just know what mine have been.

MaryL
03-27-2008, 01:55 PM
A thing I heard a while ago, chewing gum, makes you feel hungry. From what they say, is ,that while you chew your mouth is busy, but your tummy is expecting some food and it starts to work, in anticipation of food, but nothing comes down. Therefore giving you wind, making you feel worse. What do you think?

start8
03-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Thank you. I'm always hungery and I eat 1400-1600 a day of high protein/fiber. I find it odd that so many people that can't possible eat 1200 calories got to be overweight in the first place.

PhotoChick
03-27-2008, 02:25 PM
I find it odd that so many people that can't possible eat 1200 calories got to be overweight in the first place.Please understand that I'm not trying to be rude here, but that's an awfully snotty comment to make ...

It's not about the calories. It's about the amount of food.

If I eat a healthy dinner, I eat 1 chicken breast (lean, roasted or grilled) and 1 cup of broccoli and 1/2 cup of brown rice.
That's a plate full of food for 300-ish calories.

If I eat unhealthily I would eat 1 cheeseburger with extra cheese and fries and a coke from McDonalds.
That's 1/2 the AMOUNT of food on my plate but 750 calories - over double the number of calories from my healthy meal.

And then because I was eating less food, I'd eat a bag of Cheetoes later (another 280 cals) as a "snack" instead of the same volume of food in an apple and a piece of string cheese (120 cals).

So how I "got to be overweight in the first place" was by eating junk that had over 2x as many calories per volume of food.

Now I am "getting to be thin" by eating food that fills me up with fewer calories.

JayEll
03-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Just a clarification: The folks mean that they are having trouble eating 1200 calories of clean, lean, healthy foods in normal portions. Obviously, when people become overweight, they have been eating more calories than their bodies are burning--so it's not that anyone has NEVER been able to eat 1200 cals. :)

Heck, that's a quarter pounder w/cheese and large fries! :eek:

Jay

dgramie
03-27-2008, 03:13 PM
I am fat because I have chosen to eat the wrong things. I am now choosing to eat healthy low fat high fiber foods. I am eating 1500 per day and I often come in shy...but its because I am eating alot of veggies. I counted up on monday I ate3 cups of veggies along with 3 ounces of chicken( homemade stirfry) I also had yogurt with fruit for breakfast. For dinner that night I ate 6 cups of veggies grilled and 3 ounces of grilled chicken. I ate alot of food that day but came in lowerin calories than i should have.
On other days I have eaten less food but been loaded with more calories. I have also found some foods cause me to be hungry all day long. If i eat a subway sandwich then I am starving all afternoon.
I use to not eat anything till dinner and jsut drink one diet drink after another all day long. I wasnt hungry...but I gained weight. I think everyones body is different and what works for one may not work for someone else.

dandk0204
03-27-2008, 04:08 PM
I am one of the people who have a hard time getting in 1200-1500 calories a day. With that said I do try and get in at least 1200 a day and I do feel full. I make the best food choices I possibly can at the time and I don't let my "hunger" control me. The reason I did "hunger" was because most of the time I wasn't hungry I just wanted food and that's how I got to 318 pounds. I do eat and I eat alot I just eat alot of good things opposed to what I used to eat. Just because I don't eat more calories doesn't mean I don't have an appetite, I just control mines and eat lower calorie foods.

HarpoChicoGroucho
03-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Please understand that I'm not trying to be rude here, but that's an awfully snotty comment to make ...

I don't think start8's comment is snotty at all . . . maybe you misunderstood. She saying the same thing Meg said on page one . . .
But I'm genuinely puzzled about how someone gets to be obese if they have to force themselves to eat 1200 calories a day?

They mean they don't understand how a person who overate to become overweight can now suddenly struggle getting to 1200 calories.

~~~

I'm also hungry a lot when I'm on plan. I drink a lot of tea and chew gum too. I don't think at any point, at any meal, I feel really full. I feel satisfied, but it's nowhere near the "full" feeling I used to have after eating a double cheeseburger, a chicken sandwich, and large fries at Mcdonalds. Or having half a gallon of ice cream for a snack. I don't think my brain has completely forgotten that kind of full.

Madriver
03-27-2008, 04:36 PM
I eat 2-3 pieces of fruit a day. I have a mixing bowl salad with lunch. I bulk up my dinner with loads of veggies. I use no or low cal seasonings like vinegar and lemon juice. My proteins are as lo-cal as I can get them (tofu, cc, tuna, etc.). I have three meals and two snacks, and sometimes I'll split breakfast into two parts, pre- and post-workout. I never eat fast food.

This isn't the issue. I'm simply hungry sometimes while dieting, even when I'm doing it right. That's my weight loss experience.

This is me exactly! My lunch salad is HUGE! With dinner, I routinely have at least 1 whole bag of frozen steamed veggies (12 oz.) with my meal and have often gotten another bag because I'm still hungry. The vegetable portion of my meal goes on its own separate dinner plate because it's so much. It's embarrassing. Vegetables just don't fill me up unless I eat GOBS of them, and even then, a little while later I'm hungry again.

Michelle125
03-27-2008, 04:48 PM
I can totally be full on 1200 calories... but it has EVERYTHING to do with what I eat. If I eat junk I can totally outeat my boyfriend who is 6'6'' and 270lbs!

If I eat legumes, protein, veggies, and oats or an oat muffin... basically really clean, fibrous foods, AND do a hardcore workout that day, my hormones will be so balanced that I'm satisfied on 1200. But I usually eat 1400-1600 calories to feel really satisfied- I'm just saying it's possible for me to be full on 1200 depending on the food and the day.

Trust me- my appetite is a BEAST especially since I have insulin and hormonal issues (PCOS). A whole box of pasta or a pint of ice cream is nothing!!!!

It's all about trying different foods and seeing what makes you feel more satisfied. Like I'd have to eat about 4 bowls of Cheerios to feel satisfied, but only need to eat 1/2 cup of Ezekiel whole grain cereal. It's all about the type of food. You'll figure it out- if I can suppress my appetite anyone can! ;)

Also, I've noticed if I workout REALLY hard (like not moderately on a treadmill or something.. but a class at my boot-camp type thing where the trainers DO NOT let you quit and you think you might hurl mid-workout, and the sweat is dripping) I find I feel so good and I need way less calories to get me through the day.

Oh- another thing, I take an MSM supplement (natural sulfur... great for the body) and that really increases my blood circulation (I'm no longer an igloo) and suppresses my appetite a lot.

yoyonomoreinvegas
03-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Just a clarification: The folks mean that they are having trouble eating 1200 calories of clean, lean, healthy foods in normal portions. Obviously, when people become overweight, they have been eating more calories than their bodies are burning--so it's not that anyone has NEVER been able to eat 1200 cals. :)

Heck, that's a quarter pounder w/cheese and large fries! :eek:

Jay

Yes. Thank you. And a couple of other posts noting the difference between the types of food really made a lightbulb go off. Yeah, I was gaining on 1500 calories but where those calories were coming from was pretty deplorable - almost 100% processed convenience foods :p (not to mention I was still not eating during the day and sucking up all 1500 calories in one huge dinner :yikes: ). Maybe I'm not feeling hungry since switching to the good stuff and following a sensible schedule because my tummy is just too stunned to comment :lol:

PhotoChick
03-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Actually a lightbulb just went off for me. Maybe this is better:

how a person who overate to become overweight
Not all of us OVERATE in the sense of crammed large quantities of food down our throats. (I'm sure many of us, myself included, had our binge moments!) Many of us "overate" in the sense of consuming too many calories in the form of BAD FOOD. Volume for volume, I ate LESS food when I was fat. But all of it was calorie and fat laden in ways that healthy food is not. I would have to eat 3 bowls of brown rice to equal the amount of calories and fat in a small bag of sour cream and onion potato chips. And frequently I would eat a small bag of chips *for dinner*.

An average day for me at one time might have been:
McD's bacon egg and cheese biscuit for breakfast
Snickers bar for snack
Order of mac n cheese from the deli for lunch
Another snickers bar in the afternoon (cause I was crashing from carbs and needed a pick me up)
A bowl of pasta for dinner (with a few bits of chicken or a couple of pieces of broccoli in a nod towards health)
A small bag of chips for a late night snack

That's not a lot of food by volume. But it's nearly 4000 calories and a scary amount of fat.

Now I eat nearly 3x as much food by volume, but it's all lean proteins, rice, veggies, fruits. And I still come in at 1500 cals or less a day.

Does that make it easier to understand?

sweetlovin
03-27-2008, 05:25 PM
I ate about 1200 calories today

Breakfast- Slimfast shake w/ two cheese sticks

lunch- terriyaki chicken with steamed rice & apple- about 500

snack- cup of skim milk

snack- carrots
dinner- plan to have a turkey sandwhich or something or a grilled chicken wrap

Hat Trick
03-27-2008, 06:15 PM
. . . I just can't get over how many people here speak of the supreme efforts they must make to eat their full 1300-1500 calories a day! They are just so full, and just eating all the time, etc. etc.

Having . . . trouble. . . eating . . . 1300 cals . . . a day??? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That is a joke, right?

Sorry -- just never bought into that one. Even when puking w/the virus, food always manages to find its way in. :D

Don't buy the 'eat lots of veggies and drink lots of water and you'll be full for hours' hoo-haa either. Give me some good old fashioned protein, some good old grains/carbs and some satiating fat -- then I'm 'good for hours'.

Trouble eating 1200 cals/day -- sorry, but give me a break.

mamba
03-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Apparently I am one of those people who could be trapped in a building after an earthquake, eat drywall for a week and come out fatter than when I went in.

end rant :o

HAHAHA I'm sorry... you just made me laugh so hard.. I feel your pain. Oh, and I'm hungry all.the.time.
Or else I'm craving something all the time. So really, it makes no difference how much fat, protein, carbs, fibre or water I get. Zero. My body's against me, it just screams: "FEED MEEEE!!!" :)

Horo
03-27-2008, 06:56 PM

I see no one saying that that is the issue for you, just people trying to explain the reasoning/what it's like for the people who are not of yourweight loss experience.

Horo
03-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Having . . . trouble. . . eating . . . 1300 cals . . . a day??? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That is a joke, right?

Sorry -- just never bought into that one. Even when puking w/the virus, food always manages to find its way in. :D

Don't buy the 'eat lots of veggies and drink lots of water and you'll be full for hours' hoo-haa either. Give me some good old fashioned protein, some good old grains/carbs and some satiating fat -- then I'm 'good for hours'.

Open up the mind a bit. You may not personally understand because that was never the experience for you, however the members of this forum are of MANY different experiences, that all aren't going to be exactly like yours. Just because these experiences do not relate to yours does not mean that they are impossible. There's no joke, no fun games, nothing to laugh at about it.

There are many posts on this thread explaining in great detail how, for some people, getting in 1,200+ calories may be very well be HARD. I can only ask that you read those and try to see it from a different point of view.

mandalinn82
03-27-2008, 07:27 PM
I am always amazed at the ability of 3FC to open me up to new perspectives and experiences. We all experience hunger differently, just like we all experience this journey differently.

The fact of the matter is that, if we all experienced normal hunger and ate to satiate just that hunger with foods we could get naturally, very few of us would have weight problems. I think that we have to assume that some of our hunger mechanisms are, at a very basic level, broken.

Some of us may have broken mechanisms that make us not feel hunger when we really should (such as those who have had past ED experiences and have trained themselves not to feel hunger, or who have loss of appetite due to medical issues, or who have trained their bodies over a long period to run on fewer calories). Some others may have broken mechanisms that make us feel hunger when we really shouldn't (ie "head hunger" based on habit, emotions, etc).

In addition, I think that there are a huge number of us whose hunger mechanisms are JUST FINE most of the time, but that eating or doing certain things can throw them horribly off course and into hunger when they really don't need the extra calories (I think this is mostly where I fall...I am ok most of the time, a little hungry like one would expect, but not horribly so, but eating refined sugar/flour or not getting enough sleep will "break" my hunger mechanism so I'm starving every time).

When you're eating fewer calories than your body needs, some hunger is pretty normal, because our bodies are designed to maintain weight. You eat less, your body responds with hunger. But all of us experience that differently, because all of our hunger mechanisms are "broken" in different ways.

Such an interesting discussion, and so interesting to see how different people experience this.

PhotoChick
03-27-2008, 07:34 PM

Give *me* a break. Do you truly believe that YOUR experience is the only valid one?

I have to say that I"m disappointed here. I didn't expect to see this kind of post on 3FC. After 3 months here, I'd begun to believe this was a place where people didn't make these kinds of "give me a break", laughing scornfully at other people's experiences types of posts.

This is the first post I've seen that's not only non-supportive, but actively hostile towards people who don't have the same experience. It's disheartening.

sweettart08
03-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Give *me* a break. Do you truly believe that YOUR experience is the only valid one?

I have to say that I"m disappointed here. I didn't expect to see this kind of post on 3FC. After 3 months here, I'd begun to believe this was a place where people didn't make these kinds of "give me a break", laughing scornfully at other people's experiences types of posts.

This is the first post I've seen that's not only non-supportive, but actively hostile towards people who don't have the same experience. It's disheartening.

Thanks for posting this PhotoChick!! I think most of the posters have been very respectful of eachother's experiences...however, there have been a few harsh comments made. I think that must be a result of not understanding one another's point of views.

Typically, for breakfast I eat about 200-300 calories, which CAN BE alot of food:
Egg whites with spinach and salsa
Whole Wheat Toast with Laughing Cow cheese
Coffee

For lunch, I tend to eat around 200 calories:
HUGE salad and a cheese stick/or light yogurt

I throw in a couple of 50-100 calorie snacks during the day (apple, carrot sticks etc...)

And for dinner, stay around 400 calories:
1 cup spaghetti with 1/2 cup meat sauce
2 cups broccoli/green beans/zuchini etc...

That comes to 1000-1100 calories. I usually have something for "dessert" when this happens, just to make it to my 1200 calories for the day (which is probably less than I should be eating). I'm not sure when I could possible find time to eat anymore than I already am?? Of course, some days I eat PB with my apples, or ranch with my carrots etc....and that adds a couple hundred calories....but those aren't things that "fill me up", so essentially, it is completely possible for me to feel full (not stuffed!) on 1200 calories...and even have to have dessert to get there :)

This is MY personal experience....I am NOT trying to speak for anyone else. I completely respect that some of you may feel completely different...just trying to offer a little more perspective!!!

Have a great evening!!!

JayEll
03-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Hat Trick and PhotoChick, and also Layri,

I don't believe anyone is trying to scoff at anyone else's experience.

Hat trick, maybe you should read all the posts before you reply, and use more smileys if you are trying to say something that you mean in a kidding way. It's easy to misinterpret what is said as being harsh when all we can see is the text. :yes:

PhotoChick, Layri, could it be you are overreacting somewhat to what Hat Trick posted?

So, let's play nice! OK? ;) Give people the benefit of the doubt! We're all on the same quest here.

Jay

beautybooty
03-27-2008, 09:58 PM
i understand exactly how you feel. i read some people's menus for the day and get dizzy just thinking about eating so little. i think for me it's been difficult to stay within my calories, but not impossible. i think it's just a matter of taking it slowly for me. there was a time when eating only 1800 calories a day seemed like a huge challenge. now? sure i want to gorge on everything in the house, but i don't feel like i am going to die if i don't.

i don't think though that i will ever be one of those 1200-calories-a-day-and-sooo-full girls.

SoulBliss
03-27-2008, 10:19 PM
I waited to respond to this thread and now I am glad I did because I have a different perspective to share. Maybe it doesn't apply to the thread directly, but it's what I am going through at this time.

I have been experiencing something new lately. I have been reacting to stress differently. Instead of overeating due to stress, I have NO desire to eat. My stomach rumbles and is empty. If I have caffeine at all on these days, (bad idea, I know) I don't have the desire to eat.

This is truly a new experience.

Usually, I am hungry all the time and feel like I need to eat constantly and like a lot of the other posters here, I eat high fiber, MANY vegetables (mostly vegetables really) and exercise more than anyone I know who isn't a competitive "athlete".

It scares me to hear that constant hunger plagues so many of the "winners at losing" that I look up to here. I'd like to think that as my body shrinks the fat cells, the message might get to my brain that I am smaller and need less food now. :(

Outsmarting the female fat cell? Set point? Emotional drive? Instinct? Why the gnawing hunger?

Shy Moment
03-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Here is a pretty basic day for me

1/2 medium apple
4 oz orange juice
2 egg whites
1/4 cup cheddar cheese
2 slices light wheat toast ( spray butter )
1 oz put into scrambled eggs Jimmy deans 50% reduced fat sausage

Calories 370 Fat 14 Carbs 40

salad
2oz chicken breast
1 Cup lettuce
1/2 plum tomato
cucumber
1 tbs reduced fat salad dressing
2 stalks celery
2 slices light wheat toast
1/2 can tuna in water
1 tbs light Mayonnaise

Calories 278 Fat 3.5 Carbs 42

1 cup brown rice
2 oz chicken breast
1.5 oz pork tenderloin
1 cup French cut green beans

Calories 349 Fat 3 Carbs 42

Snack
1 cup 2% milk
1/2 cup reduced fat vanilla ice cream
1/2 medium banana

Calories 282 Fat 8 Carbs 43

Total calories 1279 Total Fat 28.5 Total Carbs 167 Protein 99

I drink tea all day with no sugar and no caffeine so it doesn't count against or for anything. I break all this food up into 6 meals.

Since I allow myself up to 1400 calories, 35 fat and 210 carbs I can still add something to my day if I want something else. This is what I have eaten today. All of the required amounts of the four basic food groups have been eaten. I know everyone picks different things to eat. I try to get as much food in a day as I can for the amounts I allow myself.

ennay
03-27-2008, 11:09 PM
not alone...I struggle to eat less than 2000 calories a day (eating clean) and would easily eat 3000-3500 without blinking. 1200 is what I try to stay under through lunch.

I think the lowest I ever ate this whole journey was something like 1700.

iconoclast
03-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Ditto what ennay says. I eat 2,000 to 2,200 a day and I struggle to stay that low; if I didn't monitor my calories it'd probably be a lot more. But I attribute it to exercise, since I (like ennay, it looks like) run 20-30ish miles a week and eat a lot of carbs. So maybe the discrepancy between different people is due to whether or not exercise is incorporated into their plans. I know on my exercise break day (Friday) I'm less hungry. (Of course, I still make it to 2,000 because of Friday night drinks, but that's a different battle ... lol.)

3Beans
03-27-2008, 11:32 PM
It scares me to hear that constant hunger plagues so many of the "winners at losing" that I look up to here. I'd like to think that as my body shrinks the fat cells, the message might get to my brain that I am smaller and need less food now. :(

Outsmarting the female fat cell? Set point? Emotional drive? Instinct? Why the gnawing hunger?

I've considered the possibility that some hunger is a sign that I'm running at a good burn. Too much hunger, or no hunger at all, seems to indicate that something is out of whack and I'm likely to either to stall or gain. If this is the case, it makes sense that our model maintainers experience hunger regularly. Just a guess! Nevertheless, it's uncomfortable, hence my original rant.

Thank you all for responding on this thread. I've really been into this dialogue. It seems to have tapped a nerve for a lot of us.

PaulaM
03-27-2008, 11:38 PM
I definitely agree with the person who said maybe our feeling full system is broken. I know mine is. I can wake up from surgery, everybody else in recovery is throwing up and I'm looking for food, and that's the truth. I don't know if it's from years of eating portions that are too big, but I could almost always eat more. I wish I could have that stomach growling "oh I must be burning fat" kind of happiness, but for me it's just misery.

Shy Moment
03-28-2008, 01:25 AM
icon
I have been sitting and thinking about all this. I think it is a very interesting topic. I am not really sure why some need less calories and such than others. Why some need more calories and such than others. I think the reason I am never hungry is because I break up what I eat into 6 to 8 meals ( I eat every couple of hours usually and sometimes one of those " meals " might be nothing more than celery ). There isn't that much time in between when I eat so there really is very little time to get hungry.

Since I happen to be on a few links that we put in our exercise I looked to see how much I have averaged a day for the last 18 week days since I don't general exercise on Saturday or Sunday. I average 2 hours each week day of walking aerobic videos or about 8 miles each of those 18 days, some days more of course and some days less but never less than 3 miles each day. I also averaged 45 min of resistance training 3 times a week during those 18 days ( 11 days ) sometimes more of course and sometimes less but never less than 30 min.

I am sure we need carbs and protein when we exercise but I am not sure how much more we need than what we are already taking in. Now this can depend on what percentages a person allows them selfs out of their calories I am sure. If a person only allows them selfs very few carbs they may need to eat a great deal more of them when they exercise for example. I know I don't eat anymore than I have planned for the day no matter how much exercise I do. I do know I change around what I eat so I have carbs before workouts, or I just don't have enough energy for a good workout and proteins after workouts or I just don't feel well. I only lose on average 1 pound a week and that is just about all I have lost since about 5 weeks after I changed the way I was eating.

Maybe it has to do with the way our body process food. Maybe some of us process nutrients better than others. Maybe some peoples body's need more nutrients than others do. There could be so many reason why the same built person at the same height might need more or less than someone else built about the same and about the same height as they are. Maybe, it could be the choices we make in our foods. Maybe some people choose lower calorie foods and others choose higher calorie foods out of the same food groups.

If a person is eating the required amounts of the four basic food groups and they are getting all the nutrients they need to keep the body healthy. Does it really matter if they eat more or less than someone else as long as they are still losing weight?

QuilterInVA
03-28-2008, 10:19 AM
Many have lost touch with true hunger and satiety. If you watch tv, read, etc. while eating, you are mindlessly eating and will overeat if you aren't careful. Many think what you eat is not important, just the total number of calories. That is also not true. We all have days we are more hungry and days we don't feel like eating so much. We all need to retrain our minds and bodies to eating good food in proper portions. For this you need a scale, measuring cups and spoons, and a menu that is planned at least one day in advance. Eating on the fly often equals bad choices or too large portions. It's a difficult hurdle but it can be overcome.

Tomato
03-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Ditto what ennay says. I eat 2,000 to 2,200 a day and I struggle to stay that low; if I didn't monitor my calories it'd probably be a lot more.

Add me to the bunch who easily eat a lot more without any problem. When I read some of the descriptions of what people eat in one day, sometimes it looks to me like mere appetizers. :o
I don't think I could eat only half of an apple or a half of a banana - what do you do with the other half? Wrap it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge for the next day? (whoever posted this, please don't think I am picking on you). I know fruit has calories and carbs ....... I guess I just find it too hard to constantly count calories and limit myself to just 1,200.

JayEll
03-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Well... yes... I do wrap up that half an apple for later or the next day. :joker: Sometimes I just don't want a whole apple! :lol:

Jay

yoyonomoreinvegas
03-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Wow, hasn't this turned into the great and lively debate :D Thanks for getting us rolling 3Beans.

As a "non-hungry" person, do I really think that one of these days my poor, nutritionally abused internal organs aren't going to perk up and say "Hey, we really like this good stuff. Give us MORE!" No. I'm pretty sure that somewhere down the line I'm going to be slapped with some pretty amazing hunger pangs. All I can hope is that by the time that happens, I'll have retrained my tastebuds well enough that what they'll be asking for is the good stuff.

On that note, here's another one of my totally unresearched and based on nothing more than opinion theories (I'm just full of them - or full of something anyway ;) ) I think our bodies are incredibly adaptable creatures who, unfortunately, don't speak English (or whatever your native language might be). They take communication from us entirely based on the signals we give them. Soooo, if we've been telling them they are always going to get 3000 calories (even if that's more than we really need and we get chubby) then we suddenly cut that intake in half, boy are they are going to holler by hitting us with some really nasty hunger pangs because they think we've been telling them we want to be chubby. Conversely, if we've spent years and years telling them they are only going to get 1000 calories (or even less) they're going to figure out how to get by on nearly nothing. Then we suddenly double that intake, they are going to be pleasantly surprised and quietly hoard every extra molecule in case we stop feeding them again - and we get chubby. So this whole experience is really all about figuring out how to get the old bods to understand the new signals. Makes me feel like I'm playing an internal game of charades. :lol:

'k - I'll quit with the thread hog thing :o

Altari
03-28-2008, 01:55 PM
I can see this both ways. I went for years barely eating. At my worst, I would exercise for 3-4 hours a day (swimming, aerobics, biking, etc) in addition to my normal day to day life. Since this period was during the summer, my "day to day" life included heavy gardening, house work, yard work, etc. So my entire day was spent exercising, I would only sleep for 2-3 hours, and eat no more than 400 calories a day (all in one shot via a bowl of pasta). Did I lose weight? Oh yeah...

The result of this was years of not having that "hunger" signal. I'd either have the tummy growls and ignore them mentally, or I'd be mentally hungry put ignore it because I wasn't feeling the physical symptoms. To this day, if I go several days without eating a lot (like right now, SPRING CLEANING) I can just "forget" to eat. As I type this, my stomach is rumbling away - this thread has actually reminded me that I need to eat something.

However, once I break this cycle, I don't "overeat". I don't sit at the TV or compie with a bag of lays and chow down. I'll get a little rumbly and grab whatever's there. A handful of chips? A glass of chocolate milk? Whatever is most convenient and tasty, I'll take a little bit. And that all adds up real fast (a handful of chips doesn't keep you full very long!).

When I eat very clean, I have trouble hitting a mark. On Atkins, I have trouble getting to 1600 calories a day (I still track it in FitDay). Some days it's hard to get to 1300. Part of it is that fat-woman mindset of "OMG I'm STILL eating?" I'll walk away, even when I'm still hungry, because I feel "guilty" for eating so much. Another part is that 3 cups of broccoli only has 60 calories. So even if I slather my broccoli in a tablespoon of butter, I'm only at 160 calories - but I'm set for about 2 hours.

But, it also all depends on the day. On cold days, I can't survive on Atkins. I need carbs. So no matter how much I actually eat, I'll still be hungry if I don't get in a decent portion of carbs. My body is just working so fast to turn whatever energy I take in into heat, that veggies hit my stomach and disappear. So either I walk around with celery and peanut butter all day, or I give in an eat some warm pasta.

Shy Moment
03-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Alteri
I am so glad I see someone else that forgets to eat lol. I do that, there is always someone saying did you eat lol. I don't do that so much these days because if I don't eat every few hours by body lets me know it is hungry. Sometimes it is more not taking the time to eat. We need to eat to lose. My body loves food and it lets me know it wants it at regular feeding times lol. I have days that smells make me hungry and I know I am not really hungry. Isn't it funny that smelling food can make a person hungry. Something I have pretty much given up is fried foods. They really are horrible for us but darn, let me walk through the food court at the mall and I crave the stuff all day long and sometimes I crave it for a couple of days. I am always busy. I clean and clean and clean. Ok, don't hate me I love to have a clean house. I do volunteer work, I keep my hands busy, if they hands are busy they can't put food into my mouth :). In the summer I have 1 1/2 acres of yard to mow and take care of, this keeps me busy. I am going to put a garden in again this year. As you can see from the sites I post on I exercise. I have found I love the Leslie Sansone walking/aerobic videos and do a few a day. They give me such great energy. That is strange what you say about the cold. I find when it is cold I need or want to eat more than when it is hot. During the colder months I have no problem at all getting all the foods in I want to eat generally. When it is hot it is torture sometimes to get myself to eat. I am just not hungry a lot of the time.

Quilter
I do agree with you. I don't eat and watch tv or read a book or do anything else. I chew my food 28 times ( mother always said you should do this lol ). I measure most things. I never thought I would do this but it isn't that big of a deal, I have a scale that I weigh my meat on. Something good that has come from all this is we eat the best cuts of meat now. Use to go out and buy a cheaper cut of roast and the family would scarf it all down in one sitting. Now I buy the better cut of meat and we eat 4oz each. The better cut of meat does not cost twice as much and yet we get twice as many servings out of it than we did out of the cheaper cut.

Tomato
I don't care for apples but I know we need a variety of fruits in our diet. I eat half an apple and save the other half for the next day. Bananas are my favorite but they are stocked full of carbs, half a banana fills a fruit group for the day. I save the other half for the next day or might have it as an extra snack for the day if I have enough carbs left over. I don't find any of this hard. I find it very easy actually. I like being in control. I have a set regiment for most things in my life. How I eat is just another thing that I now control.
I never have to worry about calories I have more than enough since my range is 1200 to 1400 but my carbs are another matter. My ranges are 180 to 210 and they can be gone in a heartbeat if I don't watch what I am eating. My ranges are very general. I can have a 1500 calorie day now and then depending on what we are going to have for dinner ( BBQ ribs ). I do NOT plan my day by my calorie count. I plan what I am going to eat tomorrow by getting the required amounts of the four basic food groups in, by eating things I like and staying within those general ranges.

yoyonomoreinvegas
03-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Oops, I guess I forget sometimes that you guys can't hear that I'm using my "being reasonable" voice so some of my last post got edited out for being argumentative :o Apologies to anyone who may have read it before it got nipped and interpreted it that way as well.

Tomato
03-28-2008, 03:54 PM
I'll post this under this thread since it is sorta related.

So, unexpectedly, I get an email that were are having a department lunch today. (I have my home-made lunch and salad sitting on stand by at my desk). Reservation was made for 11:45 at East Side Mario's. I am on the phone with a customer, trying to resolve his issue, but neither myself or the DBA have any luck. So at 11:50 we quit and decide to resume after lunch. The rest of the group is already gone. I jump in the car, drive like a maniac to the restaurant, only to find the table set but empty. After the hostess triple checks for me that yes, this is our table, we find out that the reservation is for 12:45 and not 11:45. There is no way I can sit there and wait for the whole group .... I have too many critical issues to handle. So I ask if I can have my lunch and if they can bill it to the rest of the group (the manager will be picking up the tab as it will be on a company's credit card). No problem.

So I have my lunch. I take a few sips from Diet Coke (hate diet pop but I won't drink regular). I decline the freshly baked roll and butter, pick over my caesar (leave all croutons and bacon bits and eat only the pieces that are not completely smothered with dressing). Then my salmon arrives. It's delish, but no wonder, since there it's swimming in butter. There is some sauce on it (I wish I had known, I would have asked for it on the side). I eat all the sauteed veggies and have a few wedges of the Mario's potatoes. I leave most of the potatoes on the plate (normally, I would have polished absolutely everything on the plate).
The whole time I am eating, I am thinking of this thread, how some of us could easily eat two meals at a sitting and others struggle to eat enough.

What I liked was that it was not hard at all to give up the roll and butter, and the bacon, and the potatoes. However, it still was a big meal. I think I should not have more than half of an apple for dinner. :D

Shy Moment
03-28-2008, 04:59 PM
tomato
It really is hard to eat out isn't it. Lucky for me the thought of someone else touching my food is just to yucky so I don't care if we ever eat out. You are not always sure what you are going to get until they bring it to you. What you had sounds really delicious. Sounds like you did the best you could with that meal. You ate and enjoyed ( salmon oh yumm ) but picked around what was really bad. I think you need more than half an apple for dinner lol. Diet pop oh yuck, I never eat or dink anything I don't like lol.

polkadotfever
03-28-2008, 05:58 PM
wow. i'm coming in really late on this thread. :dizzy:

i eat 1200 calories a day. some days i could eat way less. some days i could eat a lot more. some days i always feel hungry...but then back when i ate whatever i wanted without thinking about it...i always felt hungry then too so what's the difference? at least this way i'm losing weight. :carrot: gotta love those dancing carrots.

cheetara
03-28-2008, 06:23 PM
I have been experiencing something new lately. I have been reacting to stress differently. Instead of overeating due to stress, I have NO desire to eat. My stomach rumbles and is empty. If I have caffeine at all on these days, (bad idea, I know) I don't have the desire to eat.

Exactly - after I cut out processed foods, my appetite completely changed. Now, I don't count calories and am sure that I eat quite a bit over 1200, but when stressed/depressed I would have a hard time even eating that much.

I do know for a fact, though, that if I only ate 1200 on a regular basis that I would be ready to gnaw on a chair leg most days. :(