South Beach Diet - Wednesday's HumpDay Chat

View Full Version : Wednesday's HumpDay Chat

cottagebythesea
03-26-2008, 07:11 AM
Happy Humpday! I don't know about you, but I think this week is flying by. ;)

I had a clean day of eating yesterday, except for a Curves snack bar. It was only 100 calories and didn't seem to bother me, so I'm not going to worry about it. Today's focus will be making it through another clean day. Cindy got a brand new recumbent bike, we put it together yesterday, and I plan to get in a 20 minute workout on that today as well.

Ruthxxx
03-26-2008, 07:44 AM
Good morning, Cottage, and those yet to come.

I was just over on my gardening website and reading of hummingbirds and asparagus in Georgia! I am so envious. However, I did see a Great Blue Heron flying over the creek yesterday and think I heard a blackbird whistle so...... I may change my snowdrop avatar to one with more flowers and see if that gets Spring here any faster. This darn winter started in November and has been here long enough!

Donna comes to deep clean the sewingroom this morning so I'd best get up there and put away some of my quilting fabric stash. I don't think that room has ever been properly cleaned so doing corners will be interesting. I really am considering removing the door so I can't just close off my mess. Strangely enough, the room is tidier when I'm working on a project; other times it becomes a dumping ground. It's nice to have a "sin" room.

I hope your Hump Day is nice and level.

femmecreole
03-26-2008, 07:55 AM
Morning Cottage and Ruth!! (and all who follow!)

Cottage, have fun on the new bike (hey, putting it together must have been exercise!!)

Ruth, I don't know if I could take winter that lasted that long! A couple of months of it and I'm going nuts and we don't have snow here except every few years. It is still chilly here in the mornings, but afternoons have been great. It got down in the low 30's yesterday morning, but not as cold today. I was worried that it would kill all the new babies I planted, but so far, so good. My roses all have buds on them and should be exploding soon.

Me...well, I am sore as I can be. Yesterday morning I figured since I was home this week, I'd try the Fluidity advanced workout. It's not that much more involved than the intermediate, but you have to hold a ball between your thighs or feet for some of the exercises. I am stiff as a board this morning and trying to decide between not doing anything today exercise wise or hitting callenetics to stretch it all out again. oweeeee! I didn't have this "pain" for the beginner or intermediate...just a little touch of it.

CyndiM
03-26-2008, 08:20 AM
Good morning Chicks!

I'm running late (actually it's more of a casual stroll - that's why I'm late!) so no personals today.

Looks like another nice day here today. I wonder if I should get the grill fired up tonight?? I sure hope you're enjoying some of this weather Ruth!

It's been a week so I think I get to keep my flu weight loss. Gives me an unexpected boost this late in the game and I will definitely take it!

Have a good day all :)

ladybugnessa
03-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Good Morning.

Cottage sounds like yesterday was good! I overindulged in hummus but that's about it... so your 100 calorie bar is nothing. I envy you going to curves. I so miss my gym.

Ruth we have a 'sin' room. we just cleaned it up! now that my whole house is clean I'm trying so hard to keep it that way but in this boot it's hard and a lot falls on the girl child....

hey Cat no pain no gain right? I was just thinking this morning how mild our winter was.. barely any snow... and it's in the 60s most afternoons already... of course April hopefully will be rainy... we need the rain.

my day is fun...
work till noonish take leave, get the girl child, then go for SUSHI with friends... i promised girl child she's on spring break... then we will head back to our house and play either Apples to Apples if we have more than 4 people or Thurn and Taxis if we have 4 or less.... so I won't be beachy at lunch....

oh well.

have a great day everyone!

ladybugnessa
03-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Cyndi we posted at the same time... i always take every chance I can to grill!

Ruthxxx
03-26-2008, 08:31 AM
My BBQ is still in a snowbank on the back deck! I have a bare and dry path for Madame Hershey to use but the rest is snow! It's only going up to freezing point today so we still have a wait. I can hardly wait to crank it up and do beer can chicken!

Here's a picture of my deck taken Easter Day in the afternoon. The BBQ is to the right under it's winter cover! As you can see, we have a ways to go!

DUH!
See post below.

cottagebythesea
03-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Wow, that's some picture, Ruth! A big white-out, I can't make out a thing! :rofl:

Schmoodle
03-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Good morning possums, successful day2 of Ph1 down! I didn't get my exercise in yesterday, so I will try to make up for it today. Back to school this morning for the kids so nobody is happy here except me. I'd better go help DH with the kid-pushing. Have a good hump-day chicks!

Ruthxxx
03-26-2008, 09:05 AM
:lol: Guess I goofed. Will try again to load the picture.

cottagebythesea
03-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Aha! Now I see it! :)

GONNABE165
03-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Morning girls!

It's a bit cold here but suppose to warm up nicely which is good cause I am hoping to get a outdoor walk in at lunchtime.

Cat you poor thing - take it easy & don't hurt them muscles to much

Ruth to me the snow looks beautiful to you I'm sure youv'e had it with snow

Go Cottage Go Cottage gettin your workouts done

Nessa I just looove sushi

This evening I have to run to the mall cause the shorts dh boght over the weekend they never took the ink tag off so we gotta get that done other than that nothing.

cottagebythesea
03-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Are you feeling better, GONNA?

It's warming up nicely here, supposed to hit the 60s by noon! I'm just waiting for the dryer to stop before I head outside to play in my flower beds again. :) Dustin was just here to drop of a load of stone that Jake wanted (?), and he gave me some good ideas about one of the beds. Looks like a big trip to the nursery is in order for the weekend. ;)

GONNABE165
03-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Yes Cottage I feel much better - thank you for asking. Good luck with the flower beds

Pacergal29
03-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Good morning ladies! It's going to be another arse kicking day in my world! Everyone but the boss was out yesterday and again today so I am finally getting caught up and able to accomplish my real goal of closing loans!

Cottage those darn bikes only remind me how out of shape I am, they hurt my thighs although I haven't tried since stepping up my yoga so who knows, maybe it is time to clean the clothes off of it an give it a try again.

Ruth gosh I feel for you still having snow on the ground, I guess I shouldn't complain that we are supposed to get rain again today.

Cat maybe some yoga to loosen up those muscles?

Cyndi hey we will take pounds where we can get them right?

Nessa I love playing apples to apples, its not to often we have enough people together to do it though.

schmoodle enjoy your day with the kids back to school

Gonna have a great day!

Alright time to get another cup of joe and kick my own arse into gear!

FluffyK
03-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Hello, Cottage - thanks for getting us started again this morning. I love the recumbent bike as well, but don't have one. I have a regular bike, but my legs are short so I have to actually make another hole in the seat adjustment for it to be comfortable.

Ruth - what gardening web site do you belong to? I have one that I've been in for years, but they keep making "upgrades" that make things harder and harder for me. :( I keep saying that my "CRAFT" room loses its FT and gains a "P" at times... dumping ground... yep... that's it.

Cat - sounds like you need a warm bath and some stretching to me.. :yes:

Cyndi - why do you have four numbers on your progress? What do they all mean?

Schmoodle - my kids like going to school. They love the routine, they love being around the other kids, and they like learning new stuff. It helps a lot that they like their new school. They weren't nearly as happy at the other school.

I haven't exercised in weeks... shame on me, and I know I have to get started, but... but... but....

Stephanie - that's why I love working from home - NO DISTRACTIONS!!! In the fall, my youngest goes to school, so I've been thinking of part-time jobs. But I can make just as much, if not more, money doing my contracts and I get to be by myself much of the time. I think I'll stick with it, but I really need to figure out the health insurance thing. DH is self-employed, and our current health insurance has income requirements. If I earn more money, we'll not qualify. He is going to have to restructure his business, but the timing isn't quite right for it to happen.

ME: I stepped on the good ol' scale today, and I'm still at 143.5. I need to get that last half off (again) before the end of the month, but I've got TOM coming to visit me soon, so weight gain is likely to occur... I REALLY need to get exercising, but I just somehow never do.

I've been teaching myself new stuff for my web sites (that's why I asked yesterday, Cat) and it's been a lot of fun. I don't know why I excused myself from doing more of it earlier. Oh, wait... now I remember.. I was homeschooling and had NO TIME!! :lol:

Well, I think I see the sun trying to poke out from the clouds. I've gotta get moving here and clean my kitchen.

femmecreole
03-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Fluffy...sorry didn't see the post from yesterday...I do it all..design, graphics, maintaince, updates etc. Been doing it for about 9 years now. I teach computer lab part time in the mornings (started teaching again about 4 years ago..I taught "regular" kindergarten for years) I work in the mornings before I leave for school and then work when I get home in the afternoon and evening (and often into the night) until I have everything done for the day for clients. Can get very stressfull at times, but I love it and the teaching gets me out of the house for 4 hours every day, so that helps with not getting "cabin fever". I have 2 "full time" clients that I do work for every day. (one is an organic pregnancy/baby products company and the other a publishing house) Then, VERY occasionally I'll accept a new client...but not very often because my plate is so full already.

FluffyK
03-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Do you do programming? I'm asking because I am working on PHP/MySQL and wondered if you knew of a good online resource? I have found a bunch of them, but there are a couple things that just aren't clicking, and I'm thinking it's just something small.

I have done web sites a lot over the last 8 years or so, but usually just basic stuff. I finally have the time to learn more of the programming, so here I go... I've done a lot of programming before but nothing for the web.

I don't get cabin fever - I'm one of those people that could easily never go out in public and be happy. I am a complete homebody. I don't MIND going out occasionally, but given a choice I would always be home.

tkglenn
03-26-2008, 10:52 AM
good morning. feeling alot better today. now it's the recovery part. i bought some zyrtec yesterday, can you believe it costs $25 for a small little bottle? But man, I took one last night before I went to bed and when I woke up this morning my sinuses were dried up and my eyes are fine. Wow!!! What a wonderful drug. I'm glad I bought it. Now I still have my sore throat. I've been drinking camomile tea continuously (the internet said that that's a natural antibiotic for strep) and it has helped, I just want it to all go away NOW! I know it's a slow process but I'm so tired of it. Speaking of tired, I am so sleepy. All I wanna do now is sleep. better get going. gotta give my baby his breathing treatment. Allergies are a b****.

Kim_Star060404
03-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Hey everyone - quickie for me this morning as I really need to get to work. I hope you're all doing well - will try to stop in later! Love ya!

~Kim

femmecreole
03-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Do you do programming? .

No, just html, graphics, shopping carts, seo and if they INSIST a little flash. You might be able to get some help with an online group like at yahoogroups. I used to belong to several.

cottagebythesea
03-26-2008, 11:24 AM
tk, I'm glad you are starting to recover, too. That Zyrtec does tend to make you sleepy, but it works. :) Something else that might help your sore throat is to gargle with 1/2 aspirin dissolved in a small glass of salt water, and some echinachea tea.

:wave: everyone! Looks like we're all having a busy day! Mine will get busier at noon when I pick up Maggie. I'm helping out another nanny today by keeping her kids this afternoon, then after I pick up Audrey we have to hurry to get homework done before it's time for ballet and tap. At least I'll have an hour to relax while they're having their lessons. I'm planning to spend that time at the library. :)

Ruthxxx
03-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Well, shucks! Donna cancelled - sick grand kid was today's reason. :shrug: I am still in my robe after doing some sewingroom sorting.

Right now, I'm going to shower and then Hershey and I are going to the Clinic to do some pet therapy - the first since early January! It'll be good to get back to a normal schedule - I think! I'll just do the one session this week and then start with the nursing home visits next week.

Tkglenn, zinc lozenges really help me when I have a sore throat. I think you can get them with Vitamin C in them and/or echinacea.

tkglenn
03-26-2008, 12:00 PM
femme-so you do the computer stuff huh? any suggestions that you might be able to pass onto me? I'm trying to set up my webpage on 50megs for my cake business but i just feel it so overwhelming. I just can't seem to get it straight and organized. I practically took everything off so I could start all over again but that was like 3 weeks ago and haven't fixed it yet. I get so frustrated because I can't seem to make it right. Any suggestions?

cottage-I keep forgetting about the salt water. I'm from Hawaii and whenever we were sick, it may sound funny but my mom used to take us to the beach because the salt water would dry us up. We would get salt water in our mouths and dry up our sore throats. If we were congested, it would dry that up too. Why do I keep forgetting this!!!!! Thanks. Yeah, the Zyrtec does make you drowsy but I would rather be tired then my nose and eyes just dripping.

uscarchie
03-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Good Morning all!

I figured I'd been posting like mad over in the Phase 2 chat, and I should introduce myself and say hi here, too. :)

It's going to be a busy day today, but I've got a good lunch in the fridge waiting for me and a good walk up a hill of doom before I eat it.

A lot of you are in cold climates- yesterday here in So Cal it was 75 degrees and sunny. Summer's here already, and I am glad.

Hope everyone has a great day!

tkglenn
03-26-2008, 12:14 PM
uscarchie-Hi and welcome!!! Come and visit as often as you wish. What part of so cali

FluffyK
03-26-2008, 12:27 PM
TK - I'm a visual person. When I do a website, I always like to go with a logo/picture first and derive inspiration from that. For the most part, if it's an informational website, to me clean and clutter-free is the best.

Are you using software for your site? If so, you might just want to use a template. There are tons of templates onlne for inspiration as well. I usually code by hand and build little by little, but that's because I love seeing a plan come together.

uscarchie
03-26-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm from orange county- but my life isn't like the show on Bravo! :)

I guess I'm also not a housewife, either, since I work, and love what I do. I design the lighting in buildings.

beachgal
03-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi, Everyone! :wave:

Another crazy day. DH and I are trying to plan a getaway this weekend for my birthday, but it's totally spur of the moment (not my way of doing things!), so we're both online trying to get things settled. The plan was to head to NYC to see Spamalot, but I had no idea how expensive it would be...yikes!!! It's from $170-$250+ a ticket! We could renovate half the kitchen for that, so I have a really hard time feeling comfortable spending that kind of money. :p

Cottage, I love recumbent bikes--it's great that you can use it while at work!

Ruth, I hear you--it's SO cold still here. But I saw some crocus flowers (tightly curled up, but above the ground!!!) popping up near a neighbor's house last weekend, so spring must be hiding somewhere!!!

Cat, I didn't think I could survive these winters either, but they sure do make spring glorious!

Glad you've got nice weather, Cyndi!

Nessa, I love playing board games, and think Apples to Apples is a lot of fun! Hope you have a great afternoon!

Congrats on good P1 days, Schmoo! :high:

Enjoy the weather, Gonna!

Yikes about you chickies and your gardening! I still haven't planted the seeds for our trellis--and I haven't picked out anything for our veggie garden yet, either. Spring better wait a month or two or I'll be in a lot o' trouble!!! :eek:

Pacer, I LOVE your new avatar! It's gorgeous! :love: Enjoy the day--sounds, um, "productive!" :s: I find with cardio machines that you just have to work up to doing long stints on them. Start with 2-5 minutes and increase the time slowly over a course of a couple weeks. Before you know it, you'll be able to do 1/2 hour stints! :D

Fluffy, I hope you can find some time to exercise. I know how frustrating it is an how little motivation there sometimes is, but it's so important to your weight loss and your health. I don't love doing it, but I do love the results. :shrug:

Glad you're feeling better TK. :D

:wave: Kim!

Me:
It's cloudy and rainy here, though I heard it's supposed to get up to 50*F tomorrow. :shrug: I'm off the gym after work, then have to rush to take care of the dog, eat, and shower before heading to Theology on Tap tonight. There's so much to do at home and DH and I ended up lying on the couch for two hours watching inane TV yesterday. Grrr! If we go away all weekend, that'll mean twice as much work to do next week. I think I'd rather stay home...

Hope everyone has a great day and enjoys some nice weather! :sunny:

tkglenn
03-26-2008, 01:03 PM
uscarchie-you have a pretty good job out there. I used to live in Seal Beach if you know where that's at. Man, I love it out there. Wish I could go back. Too expensive and my DH would have a hard time finding something that would get us by. He used to be a Marine but got out after 8 years of service and 8 months in Iraq. We loved Cali. Our hearts were left behind!!! Yeah OC is nothing like the show but....those women do carry their hubby's paychecks!!!! Hahahaha. Just kidding but yeah, it's nothing like the show. Miss it like crazy. I still lots of friends back there and so does my DH. If he ever had a job offer that would keep us "afloat" we would pack up and go back like.....yesterday! lol. you're lucky. I'm jealous now.

fluffy-the website that I go to offers a whole bunch of different template to follow. It's really easy, it's just I, myself, feel cluttered I guess. I don't know what page to put where and what to put on which page. Know what I mean?

jandaman
03-26-2008, 01:07 PM
happy humpday everyone!

another quick howdy on the go--am glad to see those down with the flu have recovered! have just spent the entire day jumping thru bureaucratic hoops...hafta get in my grocery shopping before everything closes..oh, arrgh!

thanks for hearing me vent and whine:D

cheers!

jan

FluffyK
03-26-2008, 01:07 PM
TK - Draw a heirarchy map. Start on a sheet of paper and draw something like a family tree. On the top is your home page. Then make branches down for what is the next highest level of information, etc. That will help organize your pages. You can have some overlap later if you'd like.

tkglenn
03-26-2008, 01:16 PM
fluffy-never heard of doing it that way but it sounds easier when said like that. I think once I get this placed cleaned up, since DH couldn't do while I was sick, then I'll sit down and work on it. I need to start working on the website because I wanna get my business cards printed but can't until I have that up. Thanks.

femmecreole
03-26-2008, 01:19 PM
TK...definately agreeing with Krystal. Map it out. As far as content...look at other sites that have the same subject matter and see how they mapped out their sites. Definately NOT tellling you to copy another site, but seeing how sites are put together and how the pages relate to each other helps sometimes. Take a look at this page and it may help... (http://www.rocketface.com/organize_website/website_structure.html)

Ok, ladies, I promise no more business....just fun!!

GONNABE165
03-26-2008, 01:28 PM
I went out and did a mini walk around the office park - it is such a beautiful day here! Now I will eat lunch.

tkglenn
03-26-2008, 01:44 PM
femme-thanks.

I can feel my eyes getting heavy. i think it's the zyrtec maybe or just recovering. didnt get much sleep while sick because of my throat and just being uncomfortable.

SkinnyDogMom
03-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Hi everyone,
One of the girls at work came in for me at 11 AM so I could come home and let the pups out. The new pup would have been in his crate all day if she hadn't done this for me.
DH went out of town on short notice and I was supposed to work a 12 hour shift today. I still have to go back to work at 2:30-7 PM.
It also gave me time to catch up here.
Sorry you still have cold and snow Ruth and all the others in the far north. It has turned out to be a nice day today here. In the mid 60's and bright out.
TK-Hawaii is one of my favorite places. It is where I met my DH and he HAD to work there for 4 months and then went back and forth for 1 week-1 month at a time for the next 2-3 years. I was fortunate enough to be able to go and stay for many of those visits. My favorite place was North Shore, we stayed in Mokeleia (I think I spelled that correctly). He was working at Scoffield barracks and I just enjoyed the island. It is the most beautiful place I've been.
I'm off to expend some of the puppy's energy before I head back to work.
Hope you all have an enjoyable day!
Karla

JessieW
03-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Laurie...My parents, sister, aunt, and uncle are going to NYC this weekend to see Wicked for my mom and aunt's birthdays. Wave hi across Times Square if you go. (I wish they hadn't told me what they are seeing because I am INSANELY JEALOUS.)

Hi to everyone else. Will get back later to check in, maybe. I have to go to a class at work this afternoon.

tkglenn
03-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Karla-yeah, i'm from the same town as scoffield barracks. Miss home like crazy. Crazy-my best friend and I right now are talking pidgeon back and forth joking around and just talking about how much we miss home. We didn't meet each other in Hawaii, we met here in Texas and funny but it took awhile for us to even become best friends. And she came from Waipahu.

tomandkara
03-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Hey gals! I'm getting on late this morning but I wanted to send out a hello. Busy, busy today with gymnastics and AWANA and just trying to get everything done.

Karla, thanks for the encouragement yesterday! I ended up just going to bed at 9:15 and spitting my gum in the trash on the way. This morning I woke up and got on the scale and I was the same as I was the day before Easter, so avoiding the chocolate was worth it! I still have a couple pounds to go before I get back to my profile weight (from when Tom was home and we went out EVERY night), but I'm on my way!

Kara

tkglenn
03-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Hi Kara- i was wondering where you were.

tomandkara
03-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Lost in the midst of the kids and their school/activities...

Somebody dig me out!

(Better than being lost in a pile of chocolate or something I suppose...)

Kara